Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Oh poo poo what, where?

I fell off at Eldraine, I remember they used to do PlayXXX codes but i didn't know if those were time-limited, can I claim them for all the sets since?
I believe every single play[set abbreviation] code still works, yes.

here's the link.
https://draftsim.com/mtg-arena-codes/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
https://mtgazone.com/codes/ suck less to read

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

top 10 tips for new-to-arena players

1) before buying anything or doing anything else, redeem all available free codes and complete the color challenges

2) wildcards, especially rares, are the most important resource for building constructed decks, and the only ways to acquire them involve opening arena packs (there is no way to buy them directly, though you are guaranteed a rare wildcard after opening 6 packs)

3) arena packs are 5 commons, 2 uncommons, and 1 rare/mythic, with a chance for any of these slots to be replaced with a wildcard at that slot's rarity

4) the mastery pass is a good value if and only if you win at least 4 games a day complete your daily and weekly quests for the entire length of the mastery pass's availability

5) buying cosmetics does not get you copies of the card

6) the best value for your gold/gems is the "premier draft" of the current set if you can maintain above a 50% winrate (going infinite happens at roughly 70%)

7) if you're new to drafting or if drafting with other players in a timed environment is intimidating, "quick draft" is a good way to get a handle on how it works and has no time limit during the draft phase.

8) one trick to maximize your gold is to keep at least one 500 gold quest active that you can potentially reroll into a 750

9) no deck is "future proof"

10) the shuffler is not rigged

edited after feedback

kalel fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Feb 9, 2022

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

kalel posted:

4) the mastery pass is a good value if and only if you win at least 4 games a day for the entire length of the mastery pass's availability

This is def not true, there were lots of days during VOW where I didn't log in, and let some daily quests expire, and I still hit max level yesterday. I think soft math puts it at "do all your daily quests (remember you can bank 3) and 15 wins/week and you won't miss", though that might be depend on how long the season is.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
there's a bit of an asterisk on 'not being able to buy wildcards directly' because you're guaranteed a wildcard after opening a certain number of packs (these are the little segmented wheels on the pack opening screen, with mythics showing up after every few rares). this is obfuscated because that baseline wildcard acquisition rate is hilariously low and if you're buying packs you'll probably open what you want way before you get enough from said baseline

my other note on that v good post is on these two points:

quote:

4) the mastery pass is a good value if and only if you win at least 4 games a day for the entire length of the mastery pass's availability
8) to maximize your gold, always keep at least one 500 gold quest active that you can potentially reroll into a 750

the former isn't needed -- the first 4 wins in a day gets you a chunk of gold (250, 100, 100, 100), but the actual xp from those wins is pretty low at 25xp per win, up to a max of 250. in comparison, the 15 weekly wins that reset every sunday are 250xp per, and the daily *quest* is 500xp whether it's 500 or 750 gold.

as long as you check in once every three days to clear out the daily quests (since you can only have a max of 3 at once), you should be able to cap out the mastery pass without burning yourself out.

if you're new, i'd still recommend at least 4 wins a day to get that gold & i'd still suggest attempting rerolling 500g quests whenever you can, but i've seen speculation that 750g quests are limited in how often they show up and you'll get more value out of playing when you feel like it instead of not playing to avoid popping a 500g quest

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

kalel posted:

10) the shuffler is not rigged

Why would you lie to new players?

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Tip 11: your go your go your go etc

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
If anyone is looking to cheese their wins in Midweek Madness and is confident that they won't see any removal, I bumped into some sick bastard playing
4 Heated Debate
4 Tibalt's Trickery
4 Cultivator Colossus
48 land

They managed to go off, but not before I was able to kill their 3/3 Colossus with its ETB on the stack while also Cascading into a Snakeskin Veil to protect the guy they had targeted with Debate :jiggled:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
eh I completely smoked the MWM event with my normal discard deck, turn 2 cast gets you one of the two sacrificial weenies, turn 3 anything gets you probably a deadly dispute, then turn 4 with 5 mana probably leads into lolth + sorin or one of those two + a bonus go blank or inscription of ruin, and beyond that you start getting multiple planeswalkers rolling in a turn or sweepers to deal with aggro. none of the games I played were even close, getting basically guaranteed shambling ghast and deadly disputes means casting the huge stuff up to two turns earlier and that snowballs insanely fast

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Oh sweet, thanks, gimme those wildcards...

I guess I am also confused at what constitutes Standard these days lol

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Short Version: https://whatsinstandard.com/

Long Version:
Zendikar Rising
Kaldheim
Strixhaven: School of Mages
Dungeons & Dragons: Adventures in the Forgotten Realms

Innistrad: Midnight Hunt
Innistrad: Crimson Vow
Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty (that website says 9 days but that's for the paper release, the Arena release is this Thursday of this week, noonish pacific time)

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

there's a good, easy to remember website at https://whatsinstandard.com/ (though the dates it has there are for paper and not arena -- arena's getting the set in a bit over 30 hours from now)

edit: lmao hi lonegoat

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I think I'll get that Play pre-order bundle... I have read the discussion about the Mastery Pass but I'll probably be doing like at least 4 events regardless so it seems worth

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

wei posted:

G
Jukai Preserver (3G 3/3 ETB put a +1/+1 counter, channel 2G to put two +1/+1 counters)
Careful Cultivation (1G channel for a llanowar elf)
Greater Tanuki (4GG 6/5 trample, 2G channel to fetch a basic into play tapped)
Season of Renewal (2G instant get a creature and/or enchantment from gy)

not the 1G punch?

wei
Jul 27, 2006
I have it just below those 4, I'm probably splashing anyway and there's (better) removal in the other colours

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

to the person in the historic queue playing leyline of anticipation and discard spells, I want you to know that you're my hero and I love you

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

I wasn't around for ZNR - were there easy ways to get multiple landfall triggers for nu-Omnath? Or was the 4/4 for 4 draw a card and gain a lot of life just oppressive on its own? It's sort of hard to evaluate what that casting cost looks like since I have no idea what the mana base was at that point.

Just curious.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Boxman posted:

I wasn't around for ZNR - were there easy ways to get multiple landfall triggers for nu-Omnath? Or was the 4/4 for 4 draw a card and gain a lot of life just oppressive on its own? It's sort of hard to evaluate what that casting cost looks like since I have no idea what the mana base was at that point.

Just curious.

This was the Standard format with Growth Spiral and Uro.

Saucer Crab
Apr 3, 2009

Jabor posted:

And Fabled Passage, and Triomes and Lotus Cobra

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Jabor posted:

Saucer Crab posted:

And Fabled Passage, and Triomes and Lotus Cobra

lol got it.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Lone Goat posted:

Short Version: https://whatsinstandard.com/

Long Version:
Zendikar Rising
Kaldheim
Strixhaven: School of Mages
Dungeons & Dragons: Adventures in the Forgotten Realms

Innistrad: Midnight Hunt
Innistrad: Crimson Vow
Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty (that website says 9 days but that's for the paper release, the Arena release is this Thursday of this week, noonish pacific time)

also Ilysian Caryatid, Krovikan Scoundrel and Unsummon

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

kalel posted:

6) the best value for your gold/gems is the "premier draft" of the current set

This is true only if you're hitting 3-4 wins per draft. Drafting has a pretty steep learning curve. If you're new to Arena but not new to Magic I definitely recommend #6 here that kalel posted but if you're brand new to wizard poker might be better to just crack packs.

Of course the best way to get better at drafting is to draft, but it can be discouraging if you're burning 1500 gems and going 0-3 or 1-3 a lot.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
Silly question, if I have a constructed deck that is playable in both standard and alchemy, which format should I play it in?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

if you are not taking advantage of the alchemy cardpool, don't go in the alchemy queue. same as asking "should I take my standard deck into the historic queue"

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

TipTow posted:

This is true only if you're hitting 3-4 wins per draft. Drafting has a pretty steep learning curve. If you're new to Arena but not new to Magic I definitely recommend #6 here that kalel posted but if you're brand new to wizard poker might be better to just crack packs.

Of course the best way to get better at drafting is to draft, but it can be discouraging if you're burning 1500 gems and going 0-3 or 1-3 a lot.

this is important to add to a new player guide - bot drafting is better as long as you're frequently getting 3 or fewer wins.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

love this fun bug where it doesn't actually let me cast my cascade cards

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

brugroffil posted:

love this fun bug where it doesn't actually let me cast my cascade cards

Click Show Battlefield/Hide Browser/whatever it says top right twice and it'll show you the cascaded card. That was happening to me a lot last night.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

It's possible there's a reason that's happening, like Thalia.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

resistentialism posted:

Same, usually it's because the spell I cascaded into didn't have a target.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

I was getting it sometimes when I cascaded into creatures like Eyetwitch, it's a visual bug (pardon the pun).

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

resistentialism posted:

nope, nothing on the board, the cascade card flashes up for a second and then disappears entirely.

Lone Goat posted:

Click Show Battlefield/Hide Browser/whatever it says top right twice and it'll show you the cascaded card. That was happening to me a lot last night.

Lone Goat posted:

I was getting it sometimes when I cascaded into creatures like Eyetwitch, it's a visual bug (pardon the pun).

yeah it was eyetwitch or ghast. I'll try that show/hide trick.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
is there still an "easy" way to sell all the cards in your MTGO account? i have like 600 cards, all from like... New Dawn or before? the first 7 or so years MTGO existed anyway. don't get excited, they're mostly commons/uncommons and bad rares, but i had a few "good" decks, and i assume old cards would be desirable on their face

i've been saying i was gonna sell all my cards for over a decade now, maybe i will actually do it this time lmao. i guess PM me if u wanna work somethin out

edit: i would let them go for less than they're worth, i just want to have done with it by now haha

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

precision posted:

is there still an "easy" way to sell all the cards in your MTGO account? i have like 600 cards, all from like... New Dawn or before? the first 7 or so years MTGO existed anyway. don't get excited, they're mostly commons/uncommons and bad rares, but i had a few "good" decks, and i assume old cards would be desirable on their face

i've been saying i was gonna sell all my cards for over a decade now, maybe i will actually do it this time lmao. i guess PM me if u wanna work somethin out

edit: i would let them go for less than they're worth, i just want to have done with it by now haha

Cardhoarder will just buy a collection.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

precision posted:

This got me thinking (disclaimer: NOT wanting to sell mine or suggesting anyone else do the same), has anyone read or heard of anyone trying to sell their Arena account in the same way people sell MMO accounts? Considering how bad the Arena economy is for newcomers I'm a little surprised I haven't read or heard anything like that myself.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Mastery pass chat:

https://mtgazone.com/mastery-calculator/

It's always updated for the latest set (when it drops or shorty before).

Its a really good way to see, given your play style, where you'll end up on the track.

(this link should be in the OP if it isn't already)

MarquisDeCarabas
Jun 16, 2012
Are there any metrics showing (I don't believe there are, as I believe this data is closely held by WOTC) or, alternatively, does anyone have a sense of, how the playing landscape has shifted since Alchemy came out, meaning specifically: how many folks that were playing Standard before are now playing Alchemy? Do people play both or just one or the other?

I stuck with Standard at first, then played a bit of Alchemy, and now am back to Standard and will probably continue to bounce back and forth. I don't play a lot, but the two formats seem pretty similar with the exception of Alchemy having Whelp decks.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

MarquisDeCarabas posted:

Are there any metrics showing (I don't believe there are, as I believe this data is closely held by WOTC) or, alternatively, does anyone have a sense of, how the playing landscape has shifted since Alchemy came out, meaning specifically: how many folks that were playing Standard before are now playing Alchemy? Do people play both or just one or the other?

I stuck with Standard at first, then played a bit of Alchemy, and now am back to Standard and will probably continue to bounce back and forth. I don't play a lot, but the two formats seem pretty similar with the exception of Alchemy having Whelp decks.

No, there aren't any available metrics for this.

IME having played both standard and alchemy queues the queue times have been the same, which is the only thing I really care much about.

Clean Your Teeth
Jul 10, 2009

Flowers For Algeria posted:

Eej posted:

5 Colour Shrine gets a boost next set because Kamigawa has Creatures that are also Shrines.
…which I find really really odd because it makes them that much more susceptible to removal. My version of 5-color shrine relies heavily on doomskar/extinction event, and I suppose the same is true with older versions, sweepers all day every day, so what does Kamigawa hope to accomplish with their odd creature-shrines?

Aw - this shrine deck was super fun to play in the MWM and I was getting hyped about blowing all my wildcards building a silly 5 color set with 11/12 shrines based on your deck and the new NEO shrine creatures until I realised all the sanctums have now rotated out of standard and it's probably not viable in historic. Guess I'll have to hope that one of the other new sets later this year add more.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Boxman posted:

lol got it.

And https://scryfall.com/card/eld/189/escape-to-the-wilds as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Clean Your Teeth posted:

Aw - this shrine deck was super fun to play in the MWM and I was getting hyped about blowing all my wildcards building a silly 5 color set with 11/12 shrines based on your deck and the new NEO shrine creatures until I realised all the sanctums have now rotated out of standard and it's probably not viable in historic. Guess I'll have to hope that one of the other new sets later this year add more.

okay but you could do historic brawl with a certain brand new five color commander custom-built for the purpose...