Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Clean Your Teeth posted:

Aw - this shrine deck was super fun to play in the MWM and I was getting hyped about blowing all my wildcards building a silly 5 color set with 11/12 shrines based on your deck and the new NEO shrine creatures until I realised all the sanctums have now rotated out of standard and it's probably not viable in historic. Guess I'll have to hope that one of the other new sets later this year add more.

I think there might be a chance that the alchemy drop for neon dynasty next month has something for shrine decks (possibly even the 5c shrine commander from the commander decks) but I wouldn't expect it anywhere else since it's very much a kamigawa thing

if you want to play with shrines, historic brawl is probably your best bet -- you're limited to 1x of each, since it's singleton, but you can load up the rest with board wipes and animatable creatures and control magic and do decently well. i do want to play with all the new creature shrines but i'll have to see if going for a less heavy control strategy to fit in playing creatures works better?

edit:

Hooplah posted:

okay but you could do historic brawl with a certain brand new five color commander custom-built for the purpose...

it's unfortunately not very likely we see that on arena. i think over the span of historic/alchemy releases we've gotten *one* commander exclusive card and it was a green mutate creature whose name escaoes me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf

MarquisDeCarabas posted:

Are there any metrics showing (I don't believe there are, as I believe this data is closely held by WOTC) or, alternatively, does anyone have a sense of, how the playing landscape has shifted since Alchemy came out, meaning specifically: how many folks that were playing Standard before are now playing Alchemy? Do people play both or just one or the other?

I stuck with Standard at first, then played a bit of Alchemy, and now am back to Standard and will probably continue to bounce back and forth. I don't play a lot, but the two formats seem pretty similar with the exception of Alchemy having Whelp decks.

Personally, I go play Alchemy when I'm tired of seeing the same decks every game in Standard and I play Standard when I'm tired of seeing the same decks every game in Alchemy; it's a horrible cycle.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

flatluigi posted:

I think there might be a chance that the alchemy drop for neon dynasty next month has something for shrine decks (possibly even the 5c shrine commander from the commander decks) but I wouldn't expect it anywhere else since it's very much a kamigawa thing

if you want to play with shrines, historic brawl is probably your best bet -- you're limited to 1x of each, since it's singleton, but you can load up the rest with board wipes and animatable creatures and control magic and do decently well. i do want to play with all the new creature shrines but i'll have to see if going for a less heavy control strategy to fit in playing creatures works better?

edit:

it's unfortunately not very likely we see that on arena. i think over the span of historic/alchemy releases we've gotten *one* commander exclusive card and it was a green mutate creature whose name escaoes me

whoops, i didn't even notice that's not in NEO. tbh i'm happy about that, gently caress five color goodstuff brawl decks

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Hooplah posted:

whoops, i didn't even notice that's not in NEO. tbh i'm happy about that, gently caress five color goodstuff brawl decks

i mean, it's not like having one more of them changes anything; 5c commanders are generally used because they're 5c and i'd doubt that very specific one would be used over kenrith or niv. plus, it actually has good reason to be 5c

given that they did a historic anthology with shrines specifically we could see it come in the next anthology honestly, but i just wouldn't bet on it

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

hit diamond last night with this two year old RDW pile in historic. took about two weeks, would have taken a lot less time without bugs and UI quirks and learning how Arena wants you to play the game. had several games on my very powerful tablet I had to concede because the battlefield didn't load or cards in my hand changed.

is diamond good? what's the player ranking distribution like? how hard is it to get to mythic? suppose I could make a run at it. do the mtg arena tracking systems work for Android games?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

hit diamond last night with this two year old RDW pile in historic. took about two weeks, would have taken a lot less time without bugs and UI quirks and learning how Arena wants you to play the game. had several games on my very powerful tablet I had to concede because the battlefield didn't load or cards in my hand changed.

is diamond good? what's the player ranking distribution like? how hard is it to get to mythic? suppose I could make a run at it. do the mtg arena tracking systems work for Android games?

ranking up is generally a function of time spent until you get to the point where you don't gain more ground with a win than you lose with a loss, but even then if you're playing a solid deck you'll get to mythic eventually. in just under 24 hours from now the next set will drop and the standard/alchemy ladders should be a lot softer with people trying out new cards, as well

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

ban brutal cathar already

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

RevolverDivider posted:

ban brutal cathar already

what's your list where you're having trouble with a two toughness creature?

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler
So does wizards have the shortest memory ever or did they think no one would play tibalt trickery in the Cascade midweek.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

Diamond is the point at which you stop getting two ticks for a win and go down to just one, so it's the point which is easiest to stall out at.

Bu Mythic is just a function of a 50%+ winrate plus time, so if you have time and you want to jam MTG games all day, you should be able to get mythic every month.

UNless you're enjoying it though, it's not remotely worth your time to spend hours on end playing just to get like... a couple of extra packs and card styles.

And yes, progression is tracked for your account AFAIK, so progression on droid should reflect on PC and vice versa.

E: wait, no, that's platinum, my bad. The rest is still apt.

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Feb 9, 2022

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
i didn't know you could name the commander with pithing needle effects in historic brawl. that sucks!

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Most of the 'can't play your commander at all' cards get banned in brawl though.

Pithing needle gets away with it because there are shitloads of commanders that just don't have (relevant) activated abilities.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Decided to round out my quests in DBL draft before Kamigawa, my last like 5 runs have all been fairly workmanlike with few rares and even uncommons. Some to poo poo result, some to 7. Finally broke that streak though!

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

thespaceinvader posted:

Most of the 'can't play your commander at all' cards get banned in brawl though.

Pithing needle gets away with it because there are shitloads of commanders that just don't have (relevant) activated abilities.

pithing needle is in fact banned in brawl, so my bet is they ran into curse of silence

fun fact, out of the 19 cards banned in brawl or historic brawl eight of them are 'you can't cast your commander and/or it's potentially permanently removed'

BDawg
May 19, 2004

In Full Stereo Symphony
If you're looking for a fairly cheap deck (at least full of cards you probably have), I built this for the Mid-Week Magic Cascade event. Didn't lose a game with it. Even played 3 extra because it's fun. If there are cards like Electrostatic Blast you don't have, just submit for a damage to any target card of similar cost.

Deck
4 Play with Fire (MID) 154
3 Curse of Shaken Faith (MID) 134
3 Chandra, Dressed to Kill (VOW) 149
2 Volatile Arsonist (VOW) 181
2 Shock (ANB) 84
4 Spikefield Hazard (ZNR) 166
4 Bloodthirsty Adversary (MID) 129
2 Electrostatic Blast (Y22) 39
4 Roil Eruption (ZNR) 155
4 A-Goldspan Dragon (KHM) 139
4 Seize the Spoils (KHM) 149
24 Mountain (VOW) 401

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

MasterBuilder posted:

So does wizards have the shortest memory ever or did they think no one would play tibalt trickery in the Cascade midweek.

Dragon's Approach + Tibalt's Trickery is a very lulzy one card combo deck where you get to run infinity copies of your one card combo.
It also lost to my zombies because I could Patient Zero the Terasque (which also doesn't have trample) and use a killsepll on the other guy.
Should have run a third combo piece...

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.

flatluigi posted:

pithing needle is in fact banned in brawl, so my bet is they ran into curse of silence

fun fact, out of the 19 cards banned in brawl or historic brawl eight of them are 'you can't cast your commander and/or it's potentially permanently removed'

ah, you caught me. yeah it was curse of silence. krenko isn't being cast for 6 mana! very rude

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

HootTheOwl posted:

Dragon's Approach + Tibalt's Trickery is a very lulzy one card combo deck where you get to run infinity copies of your one card combo.

how does this work exactly

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

kalel posted:

Cast dragons approach, it cascades into trickery, trickery counters approach and digs for whatever more expensive payoff you're using.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

kalel posted:

Your deck is probably 25 lands, 31 Dragon's Approaches, 2 Tibalt's Trickeries, and 2 Beefy Creatures.
You cast approach, it cascades into trickery. Trickery counters approach and the only 3 cards left to trickery into are: Terasque and Valeomachus Lorehold
Valemachus attacks and you can cast another approach. 8/5 with haste that can also combo when it attacks.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

oh it's the cascade event, durr. yup that's neat lol

MarquisDeCarabas
Jun 16, 2012
Does anyone else's brain get squishy when their opponent drops multiple planeswalkers? I just went against a crazy deck that played out really well and he ended up with four planeswalkers on the board. It just completely threw off my executing functioning and decision-making.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

MarquisDeCarabas posted:

Does anyone else's brain get squishy when their opponent drops multiple planeswalkers? I just went against a crazy deck that played out really well and he ended up with four planeswalkers on the board. It just completely threw off my executing functioning and decision-making.

ha. yeah

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

And just like that I'm tempted to make Orzhov sweepers. Between Blood on the Snow and Devastating Mastery nothing will be allowed to exist.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Horace Kinch posted:

And just like that I'm tempted to make Orzhov sweepers. Between Blood on the Snow and Devastating Mastery nothing will be allowed to exist.

don't forget the new card, "Farewell" (to my career as a mtg artist)

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Once you get to 5 or 6 planeswalkers the PC client puts some them off screen and gives you some arrows to page through to them. Weird that the mobile client just lines them all up.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

flatluigi posted:

it doesn't get planeswalkers, but it does get almost everything else

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

flatluigi posted:

i hope we can get this alt art

does arena do alt art as skins or

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Yes and they'll milk you for all your gems unless they're designated as event rewards in which case if you don't fomo then you have to luck into them.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

My midweek madness cosmetic was the alt art for the mystic archive shock, which was pretty nice

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Eej posted:

Yes and they'll milk you for all your gems unless they're designated as event rewards in which case if you don't fomo then you have to luck into them.

Every "special" frame in new sets gets released as an event/bundle first, then are eventually put into the store as deal of the day so you can buy the singular ones you want for discounted gold/gems.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

flatluigi posted:

Hopefully that’s not true, he’s got some of the most interesting artwork on recent cards

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

A dude posted:

Another dude posted:

i hope we can get this alt art
does arena do alt art as skins or

Still another dude posted:

Arena could simply snap their fingers and replace all Seb McKinnon art with alternate art.

jpmeyer
Jan 17, 2012

parody image of che

Gynovore posted:

Arena could simply snap their fingers and replace all Seb McKinnon art with alternate art.

they replaced some of noah bradley's art like this!

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

MasterBuilder posted:

Ran into this with a dragon's approach deck, not fun

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Adun posted:

Hopefully that’s not true, he’s got some of the most interesting artwork on recent cards
hopefully that's true, he's got nice art but gently caress anti-vaxxer nazi supporters

jpmeyer posted:

they replaced some of noah bradley's art like this!
lol that rules

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Captain Invictus posted:

hopefully that's true, he's got nice art but gently caress anti-vaxxer nazi supporters

lol that rules

Who are you referring to?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Shooting Blanks posted:

Who are you referring to?
seb mckinnon

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Gynovore posted:

I'd notice like four cards out of those!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Wait, what, seriously? drat that blows. :smith: