Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

Sir John Falstaff posted:

Why are people posting dissertations in the Trumplol thread tonight?

Chud honking, arson and rape threats do tend to stress people out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?

Dr. Thoss posted:

I got a bit unduly lovely in that last post. My bad. Partially me being pissy, partially failed attempt at levity. Pissy because I read

as basically advocating a totally hands off approach, apart from maybe a token effort to stop more luxuries getting in. When they've already got stock piles of food and fuel, tons of barbeques, saunas and even a loving concert stage with full sound system I interpreted "more comfortable" in the absolute least generous way, which I should not have done. I had also thought the strawman quote bit was sufficiently hyperbolic that it wouldn't be taken seriously, but then this is the internet and people get unbelievably lovely to one another over the absolute dumbest poo poo, so I should have known better when discussing a disagreement on an actual substantive issue. It all came off way more personal than intended in the absence of any established posting rapport between us. My apologies.

To your first point, the state already does crack down on anything it deems unacceptable. There's a radical difference in between the governments and police respond to protests based on who is protesting and what they are protesting about. Police will routinely use excessive force or go outside the limits of their lawful authority with impunity. They don't need precedent to do a thing they're already doing. I will concede that there may be a non-zero percent chance that breaking up the occupation may slightly increase the normalization of police violence, but police violence of the level needed to forcibly disrupt this occupation is unfortunately already well within the bounds of what our society has demonstrated that it is willing to accept.

For your second point, I will concede entirely. Yes, using the power of the state will reinforce their ideas that the power of the state is arrayed against them. My response, and forgive me if I'm coming across as excessively glib or hostile, is so loving what? We're absolutely in a lose/lose scenario with this. Breaking the occupation up will reinforce the paranoid part of the conspiracy but leaving them alone just emboldens them. In Toronto and Quebec, police offered literally the minimal possible level of resistance by issuing tickets and the whole thing crumbled and the scum left without any fuss beyond a few sulky social media posts. In cities that have taken a hands off approach, like Ottawa, or Winnipeg, or Windsor, it's been a steady escalation to the point where force is the now only realistic option. Leaving them alone hasn't lead to them getting bored and sulking off home, it's just let them entrench and escalate. They're pushing the limits to see exactly what they can get away with, and each thing that isn't stopped is going to make the next thing they try worse. Again, I point to the fact that they are literally rehearsing mass murder by arson, an act they have already attempted and failed at once.

As for your third point, I've got to say I think you've missed what I'm trying to say completely and the reason I've come off as angry as I have. Again, almost certainly my own fault for the poor presentation. You say that you're scared it may spread to residential areas? Too loving late. Sure, way more of us have balconies than backyards, but thousands of people live in downtown Ottawa. I've tried to grab decent screenshot, but google streetview images are poo poo because of the walleye lense. The apartment building where the first attempted arson took place, after resident got in a noise dispute with the 'protesters' that are blocking their street? It's on an intersection, at 3 of the corners are apartment buildings and at the 4th is a building that has ground floor commercial space and condos above*. Next to those? More apartment buildings. The images of buildings I linked to in my last post, the buildings where dudes were double checking how well they could seal the exits? What's next on that street? More apartment buildings. Well, except the stretch directly across from the Museum of Nature, that's single family homes and an embassy, but once you're past the museum? More apartments! The lady who was getting rape threats about her mask as she walked home from the gym? Never left the occupied zone. Bike courier who almost lost an eye after visiting a friend? All within the occupied area. There is already violence affecting residential areas, because downtown Ottawa IS a residential area. They've also sent out smaller groups all over the pretty much all of the adjacent residential neighbourhoods too, albeit without establishing a permanent presence.

Responding to the fourth point seems kind of redundant given what I've already posted, so I'll make it quick. Yes, things may get worse, but they're already getting worse and continuing with the hands off approach definitely won't make anything about this situation better, ever.

Basically, as someone on the inside, I just think you have way too optimistic a view of where things stand now, particularly when it comes to the conditions for people stuck in the thick of it. lovely as it was to strawman you, I do think that the solution that you see as the only option does basically amount to letting horrible poo poo happen to people in the short term in the hopes that it may result in things being generally less bad in the long term, with the "hopes," "may," and "generally" doing some extremely heavy lifting. I just think it's too big of an ask for people currently targeted by what are, by any sane definition, domestic terrorists in exchange for too small of a chance of too small of a return.

*If memory serves, which is admittedly a pretty big if, since I haven't seen ads for space in that building for years.

oh

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
It's just patriots practicing barricading people inside burning buildings

It's not anything the police should be doing anything about, like when they shoot EMTs trying to treat people in medical triage tents.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Anyways, we need to ban CRT and other uncomfortable history

https://www.tiktok.com/@eyescatter/video/7063491806046047494

The Anime Liker fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Feb 13, 2022

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

https://www.tiktok.com/@eyescatter/video/7063491806046047494

Why is PragerU doing a jaywalking bit on the Holocaust?

Somebody fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Feb 13, 2022

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

just fyi tiktok share links reveal your identity (on tiktok anyways) you need to get rid of the _t in the url's query string.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Strong Sauce posted:

just fyi tiktok share links reveal your identity (on tiktok anyways) you need to get rid of the _t in the url's query string.

I don't know what that means but I did it because I don't know any better

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

I don't know what that means but I did it because I don't know any better

hmm i can't reproduce it anymore but when i tried to post a tiktok to another thread it revealed my name in the app. i thought it was that "_t" in the querystring that saved which user shared the tiktok. anyways i'll shut up now about tiktok.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
This timeline is loving weird and confusing

https://twitter.com/repriggleman/status/1492632954698403845?s=21

Denver Riggleman, former Republican US House Representative (lost 2020). Bigfoot Erotica Author, craft whiskey distillery. Backed by Trump. Officiated a same-sex marriage.

Senior technical advisor to the January 6th committee with a background in national security, handling data, call logs, etc

:psyduck:

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

What’s going on in here………..nm

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Normy posted:

People have been saying this for days

loving... thank you.

I have some really bad news for all you "uh oh they're loving with the money don't gently caress with the money now there's for sure going to be consequences the money has officially been hosed with beep beep beep that's the sound of the money done been hosed with alarm oh boy watch out they're in trouble now" types: the money people are the ones bankrolling this poo poo.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Stoatbringer posted:

If we nuke the mid-Atlantic ridge will it speed up continental drift and get the whole insane plate of North America further away from us? :britain:

cute

acting like you aren't responsible for this mess

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

because that's what you do in late-stage capitalism

Dr. Thoss
Aug 22, 2011

i am a doctor. my name is thoss.

'cause at this point i'm drunk as poo poo and haven't slept more than 90 consecutive minutes in like three weeks and i accidentally hurt someones feelings so I gotta post through that until we're cool and if you can't deal with that maybe buy a mouse with a scroll wheel that works

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

LordSloth posted:

If the Hell timeline resumes, we’re ready with the latest toilet technology for the second term of the Trump Presidency:

Scientists Working on Toilet That Identifies You by Your Butthole

TL;DR: Smart toilets, toilet scanners with OCR text recognition to automatically preserve presidential records, and the most unfortunate AI existence ever, staring up Trump’s filthy naked butthole, bloodied by horse drugs.

This is literally an Adult Swim infomercial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJklHwoYgBQ

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Steadiman posted:

I come bearing sad news, friends. I know we were all looking forward to an amazing performance by Forgiato Blow but, sadly, they were cancel-cultured by either the Steak or the Lube
https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1492580527978819595
Maybe next time they should probably confirm the venue first, just a thought

where is this steak going that it would need lube?

Dr. Thoss
Aug 22, 2011

i am a doctor. my name is thoss.
so, anyway, donald trump was the president of the united states and it hosed up the american culture war so bad that it spilled over the northern border in ways so colossally stupid no one could have properly prepared for and now i'm gonna die in a fire set by a bunch of inbred hogbeasts who think jewish people eat babies and vaccines contain nanobots or microbombs or whatever lol

ps: tronald dump

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Really proud of this totally working class movement of people who own million dollar vehicles taking several weeks off work.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

Feelin’ dyslexic. All this time I thought it was Forgatio Blow, a play on Horatio Hornblower.

No, that doesn’t make much sense, but somehow Forgiato makes even less sense. :confused:

Forgelato Blow (you, I will)

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

The Last Call posted:

https://twitter.com/MariekeWalsh/st...%5Es1_&ref_url=
https://twitter.com/Travisdhanraj/s...%5Es1_&ref_url=

Do nothing and they figure they can do whatever they want.

So far, they're right.

good

gently caress off we're full (we have enough chuds and yours are quite frankly scarier)

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Patriots.win is now opening up their community

And of course the results

And there is now giant fight with people calling for nazi to be banned and for it not to be banned. Its glorious

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Feb 13, 2022

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

At least when we all die in WWIII those loving crybabies might stop whining about having to wear a mask for a minute or two.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

An insane mind posted:

At least when we all die in WWIII those loving crybabies might stop whining about having to wear a mask for a minute or two.

Watch mustard gas make a big comeback just because armies think no-one will wear masks.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

Aw, this illustrator tries to make it look like ol’ Billy didn’t have a good time during his Georgia vacation. SAD!

quote:

I can make this march, and I will make Georgia howl!

Also relevant:

quote:

You people of the South don't know what you are doing. This country will be drenched in blood, and God only knows how it will end. It is all folly, madness, a crime against civilization! You people speak so lightly of war; you don't know what you're talking about. War is a terrible thing! You mistake, too, the people of the North. They are a peaceable people but an earnest people, and they will fight, too. They are not going to let this country be destroyed without a mighty effort to save it … Besides, where are your men and appliances of war to contend against them? The North can make a steam engine, locomotive, or railway car; hardly a yard of cloth or pair of shoes can you make. You are rushing into war with one of the most powerful, ingeniously mechanical, and determined people on Earth — right at your doors. You are bound to fail. Only in your spirit and determination are you prepared for war. In all else you are totally unprepared, with a bad cause to start with. At first you will make headway, but as your limited resources begin to fail, shut out from the markets of Europe as you will be, your cause will begin to wane. If your people will but stop and think, they must see in the end that you will surely fail.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Samovar posted:

Watch mustard gas make a big comeback just because armies think no-one will wear masks.

chemical warfare may kill a lot of people, but it also helps get rid of anti-maskers, so, it;s impossible to say if its bad or not,

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD
"We shouldn't do a thing because it will justify the crazies' conspiracy thinking" is definitely one hell of a take. Like maybe don't let you policies be dictated by a miniscule minority of morons/crazies?

Sorry, brown person/Muslim/Jew/woman/LGBT person, we know you won the election fair and square, but swearing you in will just confirm the conspiracy theory that the Jews are replacing God-fearing Christian family men at every level of government and society. So we are just gonna hand the office to your opponent, White Oldmanson. It's better this way.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

It always comes up "You don't understand free speech" by the fuckers that literally don't understand what free speech means

Tipps
Apr 18, 2006

party in the front

business in the back
Looking forward to the first highly publicized chud death at the border, and the anti-canada/anti-government sentiment it will cause.

I have [US occupation of Canada] in my prophecy books, but not until like 2030. :eyepop:

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

Be safe, fellow Ottawa goon.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

lol it's a little late to handwring openly associating with Nazis you stupid fascist fucks

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Omegaham?

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Really proud of this totally working class movement of people who own million dollar vehicles taking several weeks off work.

Also to put a bit of this into perspective for US goons. Truck prices in Canada are insane. A $45k truck in the US can cost around $70 in Canada (40% difference) despite the exchange rate being only 20% different currently. When you see one of those HD diesel truck with a lift kit and minimal aftermarket parts, you're actually looking at a truck that's well over $100k CAD.*

Spent 3 minutes picking out a typical Canada chud truck (HD DIESEL). Taxes not included yet.

*feel free to correct me if I fudged the math

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
A brief history of republicans in the era of Trump:

Fox News lady doing a Hitler salute: "haha this rules"

Wolfenstein game depicts nazis as the bad guys: "this is the worst thing ever I'm cancelling video games"

Guy drops a nazi flag at a Bernie rally: "this rules"

GOP promoting white nationalism on a stage shaped like an SS rune with the American nazi slogan America First: "man this is so awesome"

January 6 terrorists and convoy dipshits flying nazi flags: "omg so based"

Nazis do nazi poo poo: "this is the greatest day of my life"

Someone starts a nazi subforum on the_donald: "oh great, now the libs will think we're nazis"

Tipps
Apr 18, 2006

party in the front

business in the back

The very high iq nazis of thedonald.win are upset that the low iq nazis they associate with can't help saying the quiet part out loud.

You're supposed to only be a nazi in minecraft. That's what keeps the feds away. You fools!

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Tipps posted:

The very high iq nazis of thedonald.win are upset that the low iq nazis they associate with can't help saying the quiet part out loud.

You're supposed to only be a nazi in minecraft. That's what keeps the feds away. You fools!

The feds: "hell yeah, more fellow nazis"

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Take down the Nazi forums because Nazis are evil? Nah

Take down the Nazi forums because the admins are compromised and this will make us look bad and hurt us in the midterms? Still no, but we'll be a little more upset about it

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

A brief history of republicans in the era of Trump:

Fox News lady doing a Hitler salute: "haha this rules"

Wolfenstein game depicts nazis as the bad guys: "this is the worst thing ever I'm cancelling video games"

Guy drops a nazi flag at a Bernie rally: "this rules"

GOP promoting white nationalism on a stage shaped like an SS rune with the American nazi slogan America First: "man this is so awesome"

January 6 terrorists and convoy dipshits flying nazi flags: "omg so based"

Nazis do nazi poo poo: "this is the greatest day of my life"

Someone starts a nazi subforum on the_donald: "oh great, now the libs will think we're nazis"

No different than that poster here that told us to stop laughing at chud covid deaths because Fox News might be reading

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

quote:

Who Is Welcome on the Platform

We are targeting the silent majority who are happy to share a platform with content that they don't like.

Going forward, we will be known as Scored, and we will be found at scored.co.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I didn’t even know rats had cocks.