Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010

Charles 1998 posted:

and the vendor price is like 1/10 the buy price.

Then that particular scope (the one in your inv) isn't really worth 675,000. Unless you would replace it if you died.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrHammond
Nov 8, 2011

Sounds like it's time to awaken your inner bush wookie.

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010
To be fair, gear fear is weird and not logical.

I have two weapon cases and a THICC case full of class 5+ armours and pimped out guns. Yet clicking on the deploy button with a ~300K kit still feels gross.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I don't fear losing gear so much anymore because there's always another score just around the corner, but I do fear the shameful embarrassment of bringing in a thicc kit and getting domed in the first 90 seconds by somebody I didn't even get a chance to see much less shoot at. It's the worst feeling in Tarkov.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

Incoming Chinchilla posted:

To be fair, gear fear is weird and not logical.

I have two weapon cases and a THICC case full of class 5+ armours and pimped out guns. Yet clicking on the deploy button with a ~300K kit still feels gross.

:hfive:

DrHammond
Nov 8, 2011

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

I don't fear losing gear so much anymore because there's always another score just around the corner, but I do fear the shameful embarrassment of bringing in a thicc kit and getting domed in the first 90 seconds by somebody I didn't even get a chance to see much less shoot at. It's the worst feeling in Tarkov.

Woah don't doxx me.

I've lost count of the number of times I've turned a naked pistol/scav run into a Thicc extract, only to lose my Thicc kit some dumb way the very next raid.

Tarkov giveth, Tarkov taketh away.

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

DrHammond posted:

Woah don't doxx me.

I've lost count of the number of times I've turned a naked pistol/scav run into a Thicc extract, only to lose my Thicc kit some dumb way the very next raid.

Tarkov giveth, Tarkov taketh away.

As someone said earlier; it was never your gear, you were just borrowing it.

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010

Welcome to Tarkov!

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

Go on, take your loot, PMC.

Fancy_Lad
May 15, 2003
Would you like to buy a monkey?
What's the ergo penalty on that suppressor?

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

Fancy_Lad posted:

What's the ergo penalty on that suppressor?

25. I am really bad at building guns. Not even sure if this gun is the same since I just got it back from insurance.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

scav kappa is 1x7

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Hello other new players:

Running your PMC in naked or with a pistol to try to dash and grab task stuff and exit is not an effective strategy.

All those scavs you can’t find when you want to kill then have a good kit will magically appear.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Actually that's literally true, as I understand it. Going in without at least a gun and I think a rig? draws scavs to you.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Squiggle posted:

Actually that's literally true, as I understand it. Going in without at least a gun and I think a rig? draws scavs to you.

Holy crap you’re right.

Still seemed really busy when I went in with just a pistol. Maybe the rig is the missing element.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

AlternateAccount posted:

Holy crap you’re right.

Still seemed really busy when I went in with just a pistol. Maybe the rig is the missing element.

The last few days have felt heavy on the scav spawns to me, so if you're finding a ton but they aren't especially aggro I wouldn't blame the lack of rig.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I've always wondered if you could have one person come in naked to be marked and cursed while a friend brings kit, to help out with those scav kill quests.

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

aniviron posted:

I've always wondered if you could have one person come in naked to be marked and cursed while a friend brings kit, to help out with those scav kill quests.

My friends tried this recently since we all had a shitload of 'kill scavs on Customs' quests. Apparently, it doesn't work unless all members of the group are wearing a tagged/cursed kit.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Huh...this is anecdotal as hell, but my friends and I actually HAVE experienced this with a single person who came in naked to get their gear from the last raid that one of us had picked up. We spent the raid bee-lining for the extract and fighting through scavs outright running toward us from all directions on Woods.

Classic "undocumented feature" hearsay, though.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

Squiggle posted:

Classic "undocumented feature" hearsay, though.

New thread title imo

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

aniviron posted:

yeah you can i think, i could be wrong though

also you can go pistol/cheap headset and it won't draw scavs, i think you just need anything that isn't operator dress-up clothing and a gun

Orv
May 4, 2011
There were a bunch of videos of youtube and twitch people abusing that feature of tagged and cursed on Reserve to hoover up raider loot when it first was a thing, so I imagine it's been tweaked slightly to disallow that. Though it's likely one of those things that they fiddle with between patches without telling anyone.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Speaking of fun scav behavior, I have noticed a few things related to bushes and scavs:

First, if you're in a bush and you're using a suppressor, you're basically invisible as far as scavs are concerned, until they're more or less on top of you. This seems to include bosses and their guards. I've sat myself down in bushes and picked off both reshala and schturman with impunity.

Second, while they generally won't open fire on you, even when taking it, they'll eventually start working their way straight towards your bush, seemingly regardless of whatever distance you shot at them from. But this isn't limited to just your targeted scav, soon other scavs will show up, pretending not to know you're bushing it up, they just happen to be patrolling in precisely your area.

I've actually used this on woods to find the hiding spot of a silenced weapon noise I couldn't pinpoint, until I saw a very determined scav jogging towards a bunch of leafy cover in the distance- which upon closer inspection had a comically long hunter suppressor sticking out of the vegetation

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

Bohemian Nights posted:

Speaking of fun scav behavior, I have noticed a few things related to bushes and scavs:

First, if you're in a bush and you're using a suppressor, you're basically invisible as far as scavs are concerned, until they're more or less on top of you. This seems to include bosses and their guards. I've sat myself down in bushes and picked off both reshala and schturman with impunity.

Second, while they generally won't open fire on you, even when taking it, they'll eventually start working their way straight towards your bush, seemingly regardless of whatever distance you shot at them from. But this isn't limited to just your targeted scav, soon other scavs will show up, pretending not to know you're bushing it up, they just happen to be patrolling in precisely your area.

I've actually used this on woods to find the hiding spot of a silenced weapon noise I couldn't pinpoint, until I saw a very determined scav jogging towards a bunch of leafy cover in the distance- which upon closer inspection had a comically long hunter suppressor sticking out of the vegetation

Wish I knew all this before spending 15 rounds on woods trying to kill 5 scavs with mosin iron sight headshots.

https://giant.gfycat.com/PassionateLimitedAlbatross.webm

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
There have been some AI changes since this was made but check this out for tips when fighting scavs. Knowing how to drop scav agro is critical when doing those Jaegar quests.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mH7ua6wMJkw

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

Franks Happy Place posted:

RFB is the only gun you need, unless you're doing a CQB run. So good, so cheap.

Like don't get me wrong, I use a shitload of different guns because my inventory is full of them, but if you are struggling to PVP and want a recommendation, it's the RFB for sure

After I posted this, I did the entirety of Punisher 4 using only the RFB. Only took 8 raids, with three instances of taking out two-man squads. And two instances of me getting instatapped thirty seconds after launch but that's Tarky baby.

Some further notes:

-It costs about ~$180k to buy an RFB off the flea, put a suppressor and a 1x/6x scope on it, and grab some M80. This makes it super cost effective when you're going for aggressive pvp missions like Punisher etc.
-When you pull the mag out, it's only one cell tall (you don't have to uninstall the pistol grip as with other rifles), which makes it very very space efficient in your inventory or stash. When you are getting them back in insurance as often as I seem to, this convenience really adds up.
-It is good at all ranges because it is a fantastic DMR with low drop etc. that also hip-fires very accurately so you're never flustered up close.

I think it also really helps to use the same gun over and over for PVP missions because it helps you get a feel for drop, bullet speed, ADS time, etc. That's not specific to the RFB but it's another pro tip for anyone struggling to PVP.

Someone last wipe told me to stop using the VPO-101 and switch to the RFB and I didn't do it right away and that was dumb. Don't be like I was, become the RFB rear end in a top hat you were meant to be.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Is there anything that has less recoil than the RFB or VPO-209, VPO-136 but just as or as nearly powerful?

I am really enjoying modded ADARs I'm sort of thinking if I can just use better ammo I should be able to just have quicker successive shots?

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Posted in the discord but I couldn't he happier with how I finished Punisher 3:

https://streamable.com/6gdixk

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames
Am I an rear end in a top hat for listing items that have 20% remaining for 80% of the value of a 100% item? I've been listing tons of Salewas, Analgins, CMSs, etc. I feel like all the buyers are just being tricked for not using the filters properly.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

So ... factory is just supposed to be this anxiety inducing and impossible to make out. Right?

TJChap2840
Sep 24, 2009
Once you learn the spawns and what to expect from the other spawns, it’s just a matter of killing the immediate threat. That seems like an oversimplification but it’s not. Generally if you can win your first fight, you have a good path to safety.

If you go office area though after you’re safe, all bets are kind of off

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Hihohe posted:

So ... factory is just supposed to be this anxiety inducing and impossible to make out. Right?

Kinda. how you fare is highly dependent on where you spawn and how well you know the spawning locations because they're so close to each other. There's one spot in particular (inside the red factory door airlock spot with the crates) where you're basically forced into fighting.

if you spawn on the blue X, you'll most likely be pushed by either/both of the spawns marked with the other red circles. That blue arrow is your guaranteed extract. 90% of pmcs are there to fight, so if you understand where they're coming from and where they're likely to push (the other spawns, especially the ones stuck in dead ends), you can move to a quieter spot and get your quest done/scav kills or whatever other reason you're there.

I actually find it lower anxiety than other maps, simply because i KNOW other players are right there and i have to fight and i'll probably die. this applies to every map, but on factory especially only go in with what you're not gonna bat an eye about losing. you'll be losing it every time until you learn the map and how other players move.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

another important point- if you do end up surviving the initial rush, you're "safe" for maybe five mins, but after that player scavs will start spawning in. once a player scav realizes a pmc is still hanging around, especially if they seem inexperienced, they'll probably hunt you relentlessly and maybe even tell other pscavs to join them in hunting. either get out quick, or do a bit of social engineering. it's surprisingly easy to get pscavs to disregard you just by being chatty and talking like a scav.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames
Earliest I've spawned as a Scav that I can remember is 17.5 minutes.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

https://twitter.com/nikgeneburn/status/1494670522885591044

hmmm...

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Charles 1998 posted:

Earliest I've spawned as a Scav that I can remember is 17.5 minutes.

Yeah, it was a guess. i dunno the exact time, but best to be on your toes.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

G11 is super cool, but seems completely out of place in Tarkov since it never really went past trial phases, and nobody manufactures ammo for it.
If he's implying that they're going to start throwing in borderline fantasy guns, can we get Gyrojet pistols, Pancor Jackhammers and XM29s?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
OICW :unsmigghh:

E: Specifically the XM25.

Orv fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Feb 18, 2022