Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Oh I won’t be bringing a suitcase, It’s for a backpacking trip so everything goes in that. They have nice duffels at REI for putting the backpack inside for a bit of protection when checking it but they’re too big to carry on my back for several weeks inside my backpack if I don’t have to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time

Rolo posted:

Oh I won’t be bringing a suitcase, It’s for a backpacking trip so everything goes in that. They have nice duffels at REI for putting the backpack inside for a bit of protection when checking it but they’re too big to carry on my back for several weeks inside my backpack if I don’t have to.

I've had good luck storing gear bags at airports. Even if there are no lockers, or lockers that are too small for the bag, there are often semi secure baggage rooms with wire cages for storing large items. Sometimes the services are run by the airport, other times they have been private 3rd party services. I usually found them by looking at the airports' home pages.

All of this assumes you are flying in and out of the same airport, too.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
A lot of airlines have big plastic bags for strollers and car seats. It's wasteful throwing away a big plastic bag every time though. I've had to do that before. Most times I do an outer duffel bag and leave the bag somewhere that I'm going to be returning, rental car, friends house, hostel, etc. I used an army bag once but it's heavier than a cheap duffel.

All it is is an extra layer of protection keeping your straps and whatnot from getting ripped off or caught in the conveyor systems. If I'm going on a long trip where my pack is an integral part of the trip, as well as everything inside, I'll do it every time.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Verman posted:

A lot of airlines have big plastic bags for strollers and car seats. It's wasteful throwing away a big plastic bag every time though. I've had to do that before. Most times I do an outer duffel bag and leave the bag somewhere that I'm going to be returning, rental car, friends house, hostel, etc. I used an army bag once but it's heavier than a cheap duffel.

All it is is an extra layer of protection keeping your straps and whatnot from getting ripped off or caught in the conveyor systems. If I'm going on a long trip where my pack is an integral part of the trip, as well as everything inside, I'll do it every time.

I could take something lighter like that and reuse it at least, maybe use it as a laundry bag on the trip then reuse it on the way home.

Cat rear end Trophy posted:

I've had good luck storing gear bags at airports. Even if there are no lockers, or lockers that are too small for the bag, there are often semi secure baggage rooms with wire cages for storing large items. Sometimes the services are run by the airport, other times they have been private 3rd party services. I usually found them by looking at the airports' home pages.

All of this assumes you are flying in and out of the same airport, too.

This isn’t a bad idea either!

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

FWIW I’ve never had any problems checking a backpack through to my destination. Cinching down the straps, doing all the buckles, and tucking away or tying up the loose ends seems to be more than OK. Is this something specific to the airline you’re flying or did something happen to your bag in the past?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I have a cheap canvas hockey bag I stuff it in to, something like this:

https://sherwoodhockey.com/collections/bags/products/sher-wood-core-youth-carry-bag

It also means I have a spare bag at my destination for whatever needs. It also compresses down real nice if I don't need the bag.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Freaquency posted:

FWIW I’ve never had any problems checking a backpack through to my destination. Cinching down the straps, doing all the buckles, and tucking away or tying up the loose ends seems to be more than OK. Is this something specific to the airline you’re flying or did something happen to your bag in the past?

No but other bags I’ve used in the past have flaps/compartments for tucking everything away, I just wanted to cover my butt with this one because it has nothing. If it’s not uncommon to just cinch everything down I may just try that.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I went to the surplus store and bought the biggest canvas duffel they had. Worked great.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

There's no worry about the pack being crushed somehow? Like bending the frame?

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Fitzy Fitz posted:

There's no worry about the pack being crushed somehow? Like bending the frame?

I don’t think a piece of canvas (I.e, a duffel bag) was going to stop that anyhow. You could maybe wrap it in bubble wrap if that’s your concern, but I think you’re gonna be screwed either way in that scenario

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I just wouldn't have thought to trust my pack to being put through the normal luggage process, but if y'all have done it with no issues that's good to know.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

I figure I’ve done worse to my bag than anything the baggage handlers can do short of dragging it down the tarmac behind the cart, but I’m sure it’s a YMMV sort of thing. I know my bag doesn’t have a lot of fiddly bits on the outside and the ones that are there are easy enough to secure. If you have one with lots of bells and whistles, or something ultralight that you’d be worried would be damaged in the course of normal handling, I understand wanting a protective cover around it.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
I've checked it as-is many times in the past for travel and I consider myself lucky but I also really secure loose straps, cinch everything down tight etc.

Like I said, if I'm going on a week long bucket list backpacking trip and that pack is full of gear and my entire trip relies on it showing up in tact, I'm not taking any chances and risking thousands of dollars on my pack getting ripped or a strap getting torn off, and something falling out. A cheap outer duffel bag makes me feel better. Sure you could always try to have it repaired or buy something new but you might not always have time or your location might not have the right/any replacement gear nearby.

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009
I usually just use my backpack's rain cover for protection if I check it :shrug:

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost

Chikimiki posted:

I usually just use my backpack's rain cover for protection if I check it :shrug:

I did this maybe twice but I stopped when I got it back with a small hole on it. It looked like it rubbed against something when it was on a conveyor belt or something.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Not sure if everyone hates REI now but they have ENO double nests on sale today for 23 dollars.

https://www.rei.com/search?q=eno+doublenest+hammock

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

They're going fast too! They sold out of the green while it was in my cart.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.

Rolo posted:

Not sure if everyone hates REI now but they have ENO double nests on sale today for 23 dollars.

https://www.rei.com/search?q=eno+doublenest+hammock

Oh boy, Ive been wanting to try a hammock for a while now and it looks like this is my chance. Anyone have recommendations for a reasonably priced suspension for these? This will be for car camping so weights not a big deal, I just dont want to get something so cheap itll drop me on my head in the middle of the night.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
With recent events at REI, what are some more “cottage” manufacturers I should check out?

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I've had a doublenest for years and it's excellent. i just use the Eno straps that have lots of loops. they work great but I wish the hammock itself had a way to fit them in the carry bag

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I love hammocks and I really want to buy one of these but I don't know when I'm actually going to get to use it. I just dropped $100 on a nice duffel and I'm trying to exercise some self-restraint.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I have a park I like to bike to. Set up hammock, grab a book and a sandwich, love life.

23 bucks is just insane. I already have one and now I have a backup for if my 6 year old one ever gives out.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Head Bee Guy posted:

With recent events at REI, what are some more “cottage” manufacturers I should check out?

What kind of gear are you looking for?

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

guppy posted:

I love hammocks and I really want to buy one of these but I don't know when I'm actually going to get to use it. I just dropped $100 on a nice duffel and I'm trying to exercise some self-restraint.

Update: My self-control has failed me and I now own a hammock and an Atlas suspension system. Do I also need carabiners for this or do the straps do it on their own? The reviews made me question it but I don't know why you'd sell at least the suspension system without it. I do have a few from climbing but would probably get new, or at least reassign the climbing ones to this and buy new ones for that.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

guppy posted:

Update: My self-control has failed me and I now own a hammock and an Atlas suspension system. Do I also need carabiners for this or do the straps do it on their own? The reviews made me question it but I don't know why you'd sell at least the suspension system without it. I do have a few from climbing but would probably get new, or at least reassign the climbing ones to this and buy new ones for that.

The hanging straps typically wave a stitched loop at one end, and a daisy chain of loops at the other. You girth hitch the strap around a tree by passing the daisy chained end around the tree and through the single loop end, then you clip the carabiner on the hammock onto some loop in the daisy chain. You can adjust which loop of the daisy chain you use on each tree to adjust the height that the hammock hangs at, allowing you to account for how far apart the trees are.

Assuming the Atlas system you mention comes with two of those straps, you should be good to go with no additional hardware needed.

Edit: Looking at the Atlas system, it looks like what I described above so you should be all set.

armorer fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Feb 20, 2022

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Perfect, thanks!

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Rolo posted:

Now I’m looking for a protective way to check a 60L backpack. I was going to just get the pack duffel from REI but it’s way bigger and heavier packed than I thought it would be and I don’t want to carry it an entire trip.

Anyone just say gently caress it or make a few extremely wasteful passes with packing material? Or is there a product I’m unaware of?
My wife and I have used the Southwest Airlines stroller carriers for a few trips over several years and they've worked great. Really held up well, and keeps all the straps on packs tucked in and prevents your pack getting shredded.

guppy posted:

Just a fair warning from a dedicated hammock camper. Eno's are fine for lounging, hanging in parks, naps, etc. I would not recommended camping in one unless you're fairly short.

If you want to make the jump after testing the waters to a full time hammock camping setup checkout Warbonnet, Dream Hammocks, Dutchware, Simply Light, HammockGear, etc.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Don't forget Mary Ann's hammocks. The nice thing about that place is Mary Ann gets in the hammock with you.

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time

Head Bee Guy posted:

Not a manucacturer, but a very small camping and backpacking store opened in San Clemente CA recently. It is sort of like a pared down version of REI in that is has what you need to go backpacking, and that is it. You will find a lot of the usual suspect brands. Osprey, MSR, Smartwool, Darn Tough, etc. I have been trying to make as many purchases as I can from there, but stock is limited. Hopefully they can survive, but it is a very small operation that the owners actually work at. I don't ever see much foot traffic in it though.

https://wanderersoutpost.com/

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
Why the gently caress did Platypus discontinue the 2L LP water bladder?! That thing lasted me 4 years of daily abuse, which is 3.5 years longer than any other water bladder has ever lasted, and I still can't figure out where the leak is coming from, I just know it's leaking because my bag is wet and my field notebook is filled with black mold.

Can anyone recommend a 2L bladder that's similarly sleek (it was a *perfect* tight fit for my bag) or point me toward someone, anyone who could hook me up with a replacement?

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

treat posted:

Why the gently caress did Platypus discontinue the 2L LP water bladder?! That thing lasted me 4 years of daily abuse, which is 3.5 years longer than any other water bladder has ever lasted, and I still can't figure out where the leak is coming from, I just know it's leaking because my bag is wet and my field notebook is filled with black mold.

Can anyone recommend a 2L bladder that's similarly sleek (it was a *perfect* tight fit for my bag) or point me toward someone, anyone who could hook me up with a replacement?

They still make the hoser, which I don't like because it's hard to dry out, and the big zip in a 2 litter size.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Verman posted:

They still make the hoser, which I don't like because it's hard to dry out, and the big zip in a 2 litter size.

The big zip is the closest to the 2L LP but I worry that it's a bit too wide? I'll go ahead and buy it anyway, I need to pull the trigger on this rug for my new apartment anyway--but if it's too large I'll be coming for you, Verman. Mark my words.

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
re: flying with a backpack, last time i flew with a 65 liter backpack i put it in an ikea bag that I got for $5. they sell a big rectangular one that's like the perfect size for a backpack, weighs almost nothing and still has straps and poo poo so you can carry it through the airport just fine

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Stalizard posted:

re: flying with a backpack, last time i flew with a 65 liter backpack i put it in an ikea bag that I got for $5. they sell a big rectangular one that's like the perfect size for a backpack, weighs almost nothing and still has straps and poo poo so you can carry it through the airport just fine

I live near one too! I’ll go look next time I go.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

With the burn bans that will be a seasonal thing between July and September in the PacNW, I've been looking at a propane fire source for next season.

Does anyone here have any experience with the Ignik Firecan?

So I finally had a chance to test mine out and here are my thoughts:

1) it provides plenty of light that you can idly stare at without blinding yourself

2) you should stake the hose done with some kind of garden stakes so you don't trip on it

3) it honestly doesn't send out much heat but if they ever end up selling the diffuser for the top I could see it providing more lateral heat

4) it's pretty simple to set up and tear down.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

So I finally had a chance to test mine out and here are my thoughts:

1) it provides plenty of light that you can idly stare at without blinding yourself

2) you should stake the hose done with some kind of garden stakes so you don't trip on it

3) it honestly doesn't send out much heat but if they ever end up selling the diffuser for the top I could see it providing more lateral heat

4) it's pretty simple to set up and tear down.

I appreciate this update. I'm still sorta considering something like this.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

treat posted:

The big zip is the closest to the 2L LP but I worry that it's a bit too wide? I'll go ahead and buy it anyway, I need to pull the trigger on this rug for my new apartment anyway--but if it's too large I'll be coming for you, Verman. Mark my words.

It doesn't fit, it's a solid 1.5" wider than the LP. :argh: My rug doesn't fit the room either because I forgot about the radiator. I guess that means you're off the hook Verman, on account of my self-loathing.

cerious
Aug 18, 2010

:dukedog:

Head Bee Guy posted:

Garage Grown Gear is a good way to shop for stuff from cottage manufacturers in a central location.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Xero makes some seriously minimalist sandals. I use them as camp shoes.

https://xeroshoes.com/shop/product-category/sandals-mens/

E: oh, drat, I just noticed you're headed to the Cohuttas. That's my old backyard. I might be able to help if you ever want to run your itinerary by us.

Mine show up tomorrow.

If they're awful, heads will roll, Fitzy Fitz. :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I stick to my Sanuk sandal shoes because I am a little baby if something touches my foot while spiders still exist in the world.