Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Pierzak posted:

The what now? I see no such thing.

(if you're using a plugin, can you link a random post in this way so I can rip the URL and just replace the post number?)

It's part of the Last Read plugin, I'm pretty sure. Links for the single post go like this.

code:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=showpost&postid=521437391

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Huh, I guess that's an SALR thing then or something. Then again, I've been using that for so long I've just assumed some stuff is built into the site. :v:

Pierzak posted:

(if you're using a plugin, can you link a random post in this way so I can rip the URL and just replace the post number?)

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=showpost&postid=521437391

efb.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Exactly what I was looking for, thanks!

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Artix posted:

If you mean just slap some subtitles up on a screen for a couple seconds, Premiere updated last(?) Year with a system that is apparently pretty good. If you mean in general for a subbed video the answer is that they are all tedious at best.

Camtasia has good annotation/subtitle support, as well as an integrated screen recorder and video editor. It's a tad expensive, but it's been in the Humble Bundle before.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Turns out that making a Subtitled VLP is more difficult than a regular VLP since apparently it's easier to find free-to-use solutions that handle audio and video tracks compared to ones that handle hardcoded subs. After spending a good chunk of time writing subs on the free version of veed.io, I've been prompted with "THE VIDEO IS TOO BIG, SUBSCRIBE" even if they didn't tell me that after I had already uploaded the video, but only once I tried to export the end result OR the .srt file. So I downloaded Audacity, recoded the lines and added them to the track with the free version of HitFilm Express. Found both programs quite easy to use, at least for the limited use I had.

This is the end result. It's my first VLP after a bunch of SS/text ones, so any input (especially on the technical side) is much appreciated. Never had to deal with audio before, so I hope it's ok; I've tried listening through the video and changed the master volumes on both tracks but I haven't used the autoduck function since there isn't much overlap between my chatter and the game sfx - I'm mostly talking over background music. Also I'm recovering from the flu, so my voice is a tad nasal but not much to be done for that I guess :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgmVal6snYQ

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

PurpleXVI posted:

It helped a good deal when I learned that Irfanview let me save cutting/resizing templates.

This was a Godsend and whoever first recommended it to me - I owe ya a beer

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

To borrow some expertise from my fansubbing hobby, Aegisub is a pretty good free subtitling software, and then you can just encode the subs into the video with something like Handbrake.

Davinci Resolve, my video editor of choice, is also free and comes with basic subtitling capabilities.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

To borrow some expertise from my fansubbing hobby, Aegisub is a pretty good free subtitling software, and then you can just encode the subs into the video with something like Handbrake.
Hell, I use Aegisub in my professional translation career. Very easy to use, with tons of features if/when you ever need them.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
help how do i gif

More specifically, there's a lot of things that say some of how to pull gifs from various sources, but finding a specific answer is hard and time-consuming and also involves scrolling past thirty five and a half pages of HowToGeek.

Here is my use case: I have recorded gameplay (currently in .flv format, but if there's a better origin file type for this I can switch to that), and I want to be able to bring it up, browse around and click "here" and "here", and get a gif of that section ready for either posting or compression for posting.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

Rosalie_A posted:

help how do i gif

More specifically, there's a lot of things that say some of how to pull gifs from various sources, but finding a specific answer is hard and time-consuming and also involves scrolling past thirty five and a half pages of HowToGeek.

Here is my use case: I have recorded gameplay (currently in .flv format, but if there's a better origin file type for this I can switch to that), and I want to be able to bring it up, browse around and click "here" and "here", and get a gif of that section ready for either posting or compression for posting.

I don't know if it will suit your purposes, but I like ScreenToGIF. As long as you're recording video for your updates rather than screenshotting live from the game, this should probably be workable. You can just draw a window over a portion of your screen (e.g. where the video player is) and use the recording feature to make a GIF of whatever was inside it, and it offers a decent suite of editing options afterward. I usually try 10 FPS initially, and increase the framerate if I think that doesn't look good enough.

You may need to play with the export settings to try to get the file sizes down for lpix. I also use this optimiser if my file sizes are too big. Unfortunately this kind of needs to be done on a case by case basis, because certain options can make things very ugly if used too aggressively, but sometimes needs must. The transparency optimisation here usually works out well for me, but it works best when there are static backgrounds. The "lossy compression" option can get you a lot of savings, but is best used sparingly because it often mucks up how things look; then again, sometimes I can barely tell. Between those two, I can usually get mine under the 2mb limit, but YMMV.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
I tried to work some wizardry with FFMPEG to make my gifs, but I didn't get anywhere with it.

Gooncam, the modified version of Gifcam from the tech support thread header is actually just what I use now. It's not most handily used of tools, and not amazingly efficient when using it to capture higher fidelity images- I usually have to run it through extra transparency optimization and a bit of lossy compression- but it works for me.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I've used gooncam and that's usually good enough it seems. There was a time a month or so ago where it decided to just implode and I can't remember what I did to bring it back since it somehow had a complete brainfart despite deleting and redownloading a fresh set of files.

Then gimp to try and manhandle it into an lpix sized end product.

But if there's a currently supported option and no ties to habit I'd go with screentogif

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Odd Wilson posted:

I tried to work some wizardry with FFMPEG to make my gifs, but I didn't get anywhere with it.

code:
ffmpeg -i input.mp4 -vf "fps=10,scale=320:-1:flags=lanczos,split[s0][s1];[s0]palettegen[p];[s1][p]paletteuse" -loop 0 output.gif
This works, but my experience is that it produces very large files, at worse quality, compared to an MP4.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

code:
ffmpeg -i input.mp4 -vf "fps=10,scale=320:-1:flags=lanczos,split[s0][s1];[s0]palettegen[p];[s1][p]paletteuse" -loop 0 output.gif
This works, but my experience is that it produces very large files, at worse quality, compared to an MP4.

Yeah, I had something similar to this with similar results. Still the Wonder Project gifs come out very small when done right in Gooncam (to be expected as it's pixel art), and there's not all that much I have to gif for RFF.

Mp4s always look insanely good compared to gifs though, both in quality and size, it's amazing how much more efficient they are. Then again, what do you want from GIF, a now ancient file format.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Rosalie_A posted:

help how do i gif

It's probably the jankiest option so far, but I use:

https://ezgif.com/video-to-gif

It's worked pretty well so far with no issues. Just cut a section of the video that you want to gifferize, giffify, whatever the verb is, upload it, snip and adjust to taste.

Odd Wilson posted:

Mp4s always look insanely good compared to gifs though, both in quality and size, it's amazing how much more efficient they are. Then again, what do you want from GIF, a now ancient file format.

I think a good few of us use lpix and it doesn't take mp4's or files over 2mb in size, a crusty .gif can usually be crunched down to like 500kb or so.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

Let's throw a Medicham into a volcano and make it give the T2 thumbs up!

PurpleXVI posted:

It's probably the jankiest option so far, but I use:

https://ezgif.com/video-to-gif

This is what I have been using. I just timestamp my videos where I want a gif, clip that out into its own video file, and then mess with the options on that site.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
Yeah, I use it to tweak my larger gifs down as well.

Good site.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
it is a good site and i appreciate how it tolerates all my galaxy brain shenanigans to get a gif down below lpix's 2048kb limit

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
It is the year of our lord 2022 and I still have not found a piece of software that does what GIF Movie Gear does, it's absolutely wild.

Anyway my workflow is video in AvsPmod, grab and export frames, (batch crop sometimes,) import frames into GIMP to convert to indexed colour and export as gif, then edit and optimise in GIF Movie Gear. Little involved but it's got me good results.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

You need to set Bayer dithering (FFMPEG's default will look bad), and then recompress the file afterwards with Gifsicle.

Here's my script. It does everything automatically:

code:
#!/bin/bash

if [[ $3 == "" ]]
then
        echo
        echo "Usage: $0 <filename> <pad_hundredths> <output filename.gif>"
        echo
exit
fi

last_frame=$((7+$2))

rm intermed.gif

ffmpeg -i $1 -vf "palettegen=max_colors=255:reserve_transparent=0:stats_mode=diff" -y palette_temp.png
ffmpeg -i $1 -i palette_temp.png -lavfi "fps=15,paletteuse=dither=bayer:bayer_scale=5:diff_mode=rectangle" intermed.gif

gifsicle -O3 --lossy "#0-" -d${last_frame} "#-1" < intermed.gif > $3
The value of "pad_hundredths" is how long to stretch out the last frame of the GIF, in hundredths of a second. (+7/100 of a second for a 15fps frame).

Here's an example of a GIF made by it:

Quackles fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Feb 16, 2022

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
I do my GIFs by hand editing evey single frame in Photoshop using levels and the Animation window, like God intended :colbert:

I usually have 1-2 GIFs per LP though :v:

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

I just throw my footage into Virtualdub 2 and just export a selection as a gif. :v:

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
I use gooncam from the tech support fort thread on the rare occasion I need one. Highlight part of the screen, hit record, capture gif, stop recording, edit for length. Pretty simple, though it doesn't have a lot of bonus features.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

BisbyWorl posted:

I just throw my footage into Virtualdub 2 and just export a selection as a gif. :v:
:same:
If I need to prune it a bit for size I do some optimizing in GIMP.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I upload video to YouTube and then use imgur's video-to-gif tool.

My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

Rosalie_A posted:

help how do i gif

I used MakeaGif for mine. I put the video on youtube and it took the link and they had sliders to get the right length and all. It's free to sign up. Then, I downloaded it and added it to LPix

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

I do all my gif making in gimp. There's some extension that let's me load a mp4 in and I can convert them to gifs and optimize as needed. Usually takes 10 minutes a gif unless it really needs to be optimized.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Quackles posted:

You need to set Bayer dithering (FFMPEG's default will look bad), and then recompress the file afterwards with Gifsicle.

Here's my script. It does everything automatically:

Ooh, neat, thanks! I've saved a copy for the next time I need to make a GIF.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

worm girl posted:

I'm a forever-lurker and I finally decided to make an SSLP of Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead. I think a roleplay style LP might be a fun way to show off the game. It's great but for many people it can be way too intimidating to get into alone.

OP/Table of Contents
First post

How's it look?

didn't realise you were a newbie, thoroughly enjoying your LP :) nice personable style of narration, good level of explanation, and good lord that game

My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

Something interesting happened as I was editing a video.

The raw footage I had recorded was normal with the audio and video syncing perfectly. When I put it in Premiere, it was off by 18 ms. I've edited the sound and video so it would sync, but is that normal for premiere?

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

My Face When posted:

Something interesting happened as I was editing a video.

The raw footage I had recorded was normal with the audio and video syncing perfectly. When I put it in Premiere, it was off by 18 ms. I've edited the sound and video so it would sync, but is that normal for premiere?

What was the frame rate of the video and the premiere project?

My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

I didn't get the Frame Rate and not sure how to find that out, but I did notice a small lag in the cut scene.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

My Face When posted:

I didn't get the Frame Rate and not sure how to find that out, but I did notice a small lag in the cut scene.
You can right click the file, check properties > details and it should have the frame rate.

My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

Oh neat. 60 fps.

I learned something new.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.
Is there an easy way to add censor bars to a video? I've spent far too long trying to get an extremely lovely adventure game to run knowing full well that this would be an issue and now I've finally found a way to get the game to run. I've watched several videos on how to apply censor bars in Vegas and they've been a convoluted, useless mess.

This game really isn't worth the effort but yet I'm here making the effort.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

What are you trying to censor?

Camtasia has strong annotation support, which includes putting black rectangles over anything you fancy, but it's expensive.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

Is there an easy way to add censor bars to a video? I've spent far too long trying to get an extremely lovely adventure game to run knowing full well that this would be an issue and now I've finally found a way to get the game to run. I've watched several videos on how to apply censor bars in Vegas and they've been a convoluted, useless mess.

This game really isn't worth the effort but yet I'm here making the effort.

How long's the video and how much movement is there in it?

I know that Avidemux lets you throw a "logo" over part of the screen for a span, which could easily be a black censor bar. But if the thing to be censored moves around a lot, it can be difficult to do.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
This month is the 15 year anniversary of the LP Archive. Thanks again to Baldurk and all the wonderful LPers who've made it possible.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Pungry posted:

This month is the 15 year anniversary of the LP Archive. Thanks again to Baldurk and all the wonderful LPers who've made it possible.

Hear hear! The archive has been an amazing resource, and of course it wouldn't mean anything without all the LPers who have contributed to it. Thank you all!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Pungry posted:

Happy bday LP Archive!

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

Is there an easy way to add censor bars to a video?
Depending how much the black bars need to move around, you can use the free version of HitFilm Express to add a transparent plane, create a transparent PNG with the black bars in Photoshop/Gimp and then overlay that on top of your video. It won't work if the bars need to move around, but it's easy enough to do of they are static.