Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
Ringen Eld.

Ring, then Eld.

Will there be bells to ring in this game!?!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
in a parallel universe elden ring still releases in a week but it has a year of epic store exclusivity

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Zarin posted:

Will there be bells to ring in this game!?!?

https://i.imgur.com/ja4uQY3.mp4

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Cowcaster posted:

also what slot you put your new ram stick in depends on what slots are already occupied

Google your motherboard model and download the manual. It will tell you which two slots to install ram into to get dual channel.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

ohhhhhhh

large critter's bellsack

shattered

Gonna ring that bell so hard :getin:

Fake edit: unless that critter is friendly, then I dunno :ohdear:

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

The Joe Man posted:

in a parallel universe elden ring still releases in a week but it has a year of epic store exclusivity

There's a joke here I'm sure, but I can't figure out between cold panic sweats and the frantic checking of the storefronts.

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

elven ring

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
I admit, as much as I want to play the Confessor, I definitely see Ratatoskr's point. It's not uncommon for me to end my first Souls playthrough with the equipment I started with. Maybe I will go naked this time: I do love unga bunga clubs at least so it's not like I won't have a fun weapon to start with.

Heck and I do like lovely starting armor. One of the most fun builds I ever played was cosplaying as one of those red knights in the Forest of Fallen Giants on a quest to beat millenia of back-pay out of Vendrick.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Getting those first pieces of armor in a Diablo game is always great. I think I will play the basic class and enjoy using what I find.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

amy sedaris' career-long gimmick loving rules

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won

i realize this is basically elon musk twitter sycophant level of effusive praise but yeah i am 100% on board. i love dark souls. every souls game is perfect and elden ring is going to be even more perfect

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012

Pb and Jellyfish posted:

Thank you. I will try to download some from Newegg

Don't download ram from Newegg. They will download bad ram on your machine and claim that it was good when they sent it so you can't get a refund

Edit: this joke contains a Gamers Nexus reference of how Newegg scammed him recently

The Gadfly fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Feb 18, 2022

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

https://twitter.com/Chun_Grandfa/status/1494268729223368706?t=svSJFd2QYhkUyFHjv44Htw&s=19

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

punished milkman posted:

i love dark souls. every souls game is perfect and elden ring is going to be even more perfect

yep.

crawlkill
Feb 20, 2014
leaked intro cinematic real?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxaT8XXAzno
art assets seem real, voicework seems ??? Not Good
"ahhh. rise"??????
really understated soundtrack for a Souls intro and kind of incoherent on the exposition
could say more but magine some people prefer no spoilers

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

you know there's irony in here that i couldn't give less of a poo poo about spoilers about elden ring but i'm probably going into this knowing less than people who do because i don't watch videos about stuff i like to read articles

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I have no particular need to stay spoiler-free; I spoiled the poo poo out of Bloodborne and Metal Gear Solid 5 before playing them and had a great time with them both, and I spoiled the broad strokes of the end of Cyberpunk just by hanging out in the thread for it, which will probably happen with this game too really. But it's kind of fun to have a new game to play that's like virgin territory, and when I find something out in the game it might be something not many people know yet. That's cool

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

The Joe Man posted:

I would simply use a different launcher to play it next week

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

crawlkill posted:

"ahhh. rise"??????
really understated soundtrack for a Souls intro and kind of incoherent on the exposition

It's real

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

crawlkill posted:

"ahhh. rise"??????

good for the heads that want or need this, but like our oceans' majestic kelp forests i let this wave pass over and through me, filtering only the knowledge of elden ring's existence from the vast seas that i neither comprehend nor care for; sustained in the purity that has buoyed my kind up since time immemorial: game soon

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Bad voice work in a souls game? :vincefrog:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Chard posted:

good for the heads that want or need this, but like our oceans' majestic kelp forests i let this wave pass over and through me, filtering only the knowledge of elden ring's existence from the vast seas that i neither comprehend nor care for; sustained in the purity that has buoyed my kind up since time immemorial: game soon

It's literally the first thing you see after the character creator, chill out

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

crawlkill posted:

"ahhh. rise"??????

i'm the loathsome Dung-eater

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

i'm the loathsome Dung-eater

Millennials always talking about how much rear end they eat, smh

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Lakbay posted:

I hope Talisman choices are interesting instead of FaP/Third Dragon/Favor on every character last 3 souls games but considering one of the starting gifts is boring +HP I’m not getting my hopes up

Minor Spoilers from a vaati video:

He says talismans have some different effects from rings in previous games; for example, he found a number of weapon specific talismans like one that granted increased damage on the last hit of a twinblade flurry. This seems like a promising direction, though , of course, it all depends on whether the numbers support actual tough decisions.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
I think the first thing Im going to do in ER after I create my character is just pick a random direction and start walking and see what I run into. I'm guessing it's possible to do that right? Or like does the game nudge you a whole bunch to go a certain way. I hope it doesn't.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Charliegrs posted:

I think the first thing Im going to do in ER after I create my character is just pick a random direction and start walking and see what I run into. I'm guessing it's possible to do that right? Or like does the game nudge you a whole bunch to go a certain way. I hope it doesn't.

From all reports so far, there is definitely gated content behind big setpiece "legacy dungeons" but the first area that can be explored before that is massive and bigger than the enclosed network test. You'll get some sort of beacon/marker for your next step in the critical path but you're free to keep that at your back and see what happens.

What happens might be you wander into an area 20 levels above you and die hilariously (or find sweet loot) but that is your choice to make. Your soul drop on death is also marked, but again I have nfi what these markers look like.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

I read a preview of the final game where someone went in the opposite direction of the legacy dungeon from the network test and found a different legacy dungeon castle with its own thing going on. Free self-directed exploration is what has me so excited

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i want to jump on rocks and jump onto a ledge on the side of a building and walk along the ledge and find a terrace to drop down onto. then i'll drop down onto the terrace. after that i just don't know. Might go inside of where the inside of the building is (entering from the terrace)

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Everyone talking about their rams and graphics, but have you all prepared your VPNs to temporarily move to whichever country releases Elden Ring earliest? Stay safe out there, gamers.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

crawlkill posted:

"ahhh. rise"??????

lol at Darryl the Stupid Shithead

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
If I go for a Str/Faith 2 hander and miracle build, what's the best way to set up my weapon/item sets or whatever? Can I have my 2 hand in one hand(assuming I have the str req) and my talisman(dunno what it's called, the item that lets you cast) in my off hand, and I just switch between two handing my weapon and 1 handing it to cast miracles? Or do I need to just have the 2 hander in one weapon set, and a shield/talisman or something like that in the other set, and I swap weapon sets to cast?

I'm not familiar enough with these games to know if both ways are fine, or if one way is better than the other.

Also, I was reading the Ashes let you change weapon scaling, does that mean it's dumb to put points in strength(past what I need to hold my weapons) and faith both, when I can make my big weapon scale with faith? Or would it be a situation where it would benefit from both, so doing it either way could work?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

If I go for a Str/Faith 2 hander and miracle build, what's the best way to set up my weapon/item sets or whatever? Can I have my 2 hand in one hand(assuming I have the str req) and my talisman(dunno what it's called, the item that lets you cast) in my off hand, and I just switch between two handing my weapon and 1 handing it to cast miracles?

yes (unless elden ring does it differently from all souls games prior)

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Also, I was reading the Ashes let you change weapon scaling, does that mean it's dumb to put points in strength(past what I need to hold my weapons) and faith both, when I can make my big weapon scale with faith? Or would it be a situation where it would benefit from both, so doing it either way could work?

No one knows yet. There was room for hybrids in previous games because weapons that scaled on casters stats couldn’t be buffed (except in DS 2, but there were other factors there too, like ring of blades’ bonus being lower for infused weapons). Hybrids ended up playing as glass cannon melee attackers (fully scaling physical damage with a magic buff on top) with some magic utility. I don’t know exactly how ashes will affect scaling or how buffs will work, so there’s no way to say what kind of space a hybrid might occupy in Elden Ring.

One of the designers said he expects to see more hybrid builds in Elden Ring, but who knows exactly what that means or even if he’s accurately predicting what players will find optimal.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

RatHat posted:

It's literally the first thing you see after the character creator, chill out

lol

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Great, now I've also been spoiled that there's a character creator. I was trying to remain pure :(

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Cowcaster posted:

yes (unless elden ring does it differently from all souls games prior)

actually to elaborate since i think you were curious, the way they all work is you have say, 3 right hand slots and 3 left hand slots, and there's a button that cycles through your right hand slots (1->2->3->1->etc.) and a button that cycles through your left hand slots. If you press and hold that button, instead of switching to the next weapon in line it'll grip the weapon with two hands/reset to gripping with one hand. so you can have your zweihander out and your talisman out and with a press and hold go to two handing your zweihander (can't use your talisman) and then with another press and hold bring out your talisman again.

it differs slightly in implementation from souls game to souls game though so i might be forgetting specifics

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Last post I'm trying to make in this thread until a good bit after release, but, dude, I just randomly clicked on the best video on youtube because it happened to be on the sidebar of that Ratatoskr video I posted earlier. This is... really really good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpf3KQBIoCY

If you any sort of serious positive feelings toward Dark Souls 1 and/or want to fully embrace the image of Hidetaka Miyazaki as a once-in-a-generation transcendent genius in his field, you should watch this 90 minute video essay about Dark Souls and philosophy. I guarantee this poo poo will blow your mind. Youtube ftw

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Cavauro posted:

i want to jump on rocks and jump onto a ledge on the side of a building and walk along the ledge and find a terrace to drop down onto. then i'll drop down onto the terrace. after that i just don't know. Might go inside of where the inside of the building is (entering from the terrace)

im gonna clip badly into a corner, fall and die

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
One of the big things with warrior casting will probably be if weapon buff spells (and items) are ambidextrous. Or something like weapon buffs not working unless you are trying to apply it to a right hand slot weapon.