Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

Is there an easy way to add censor bars to a video? I've spent far too long trying to get an extremely lovely adventure game to run knowing full well that this would be an issue and now I've finally found a way to get the game to run. I've watched several videos on how to apply censor bars in Vegas and they've been a convoluted, useless mess.

This game really isn't worth the effort but yet I'm here making the effort.

The easiest way I've found for stuff like that is using ms paint to create a black rectangle, insert that in whatever program you're using and then use image transform tools to move it around and keyframes for when you need it to change locations. If you want actual motion tracking, that's a bit more complex.

Pungry posted:

This month is the 15 year anniversary of the LP Archive. Thanks again to Baldurk and all the wonderful LPers who've made it possible.

Thanks for all the effort, Baldurk and all contributors!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

Pungry posted:

This month is the 15 year anniversary of the LP Archive. Thanks again to Baldurk and all the wonderful LPers who've made it possible.

Hey, awesome! I wouldn't have found this place if it wasn't for it.

Happy anniversary to ya, LP Archive, and a big thanks to the folks who keep it going!

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Pungry posted:

As someone who's benefited wildly from Baldurk's services to the community for years, I say: Thank you for your great help.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.
Thank you for the replies and suggestions. I'll give them a try and see if it's going to be worth the effort as there's going to be a lot to censor.

Happy anniversary LP archives!

My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

PurpleXVI posted:

It's probably the jankiest option so far, but I use:

https://ezgif.com/video-to-gif

It's worked pretty well so far with no issues. Just cut a section of the video that you want to gifferize, giffify, whatever the verb is, upload it, snip and adjust to taste.

I think a good few of us use lpix and it doesn't take mp4's or files over 2mb in size, a crusty .gif can usually be crunched down to like 500kb or so.

Yooooo, thanks for ezgif. I made a pretty seamless gif with it and it's perfect.

Edit: Happy birthday LP Archive! Thanks for saving me from hours of boredom and figuring out what to watch!

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
Quick question: is there a usual, good external voting site to use? I like doing it in the thread, but I've got a big vote coming up soon that's going to be hard to keep track of that way.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Odd Wilson posted:

Quick question: is there a usual, good external voting site to use? I like doing it in the thread, but I've got a big vote coming up soon that's going to be hard to keep track of that way.

Strawpoll is the one I see people use most

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

Danaru posted:

Strawpoll is the one I see people use most

Alright, sounds good!

Eldsluft
Dec 22, 2021

"Ingenio stat sine morte decus."
If I'm running a fully pre-recorded SSLP, what update rate would be the best? Imagine it as some short stuff that could end in less than 10 updates.
Or shouldn't I do a linear game with no branches and no audience participation at all

Eldsluft fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Mar 3, 2022

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Two upgrades updates a week maybe if you wanna make it last a bit?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Depends on how long the updates will be. Speaking from my perspective as a reader and less from my experience as a creator, you somewhat paradoxically run the risk of losing readers if your updates are too long and happen too frequently because SSLPs require an attention investment and it's easy to fall behind if the updates come too often.

I realize I do really long updates, but that's just me being a hypocrite :v:

Eldsluft
Dec 22, 2021

Cooked Auto posted:

Two upgrades updates a week maybe if you wanna make it last a bit?

lul thanks for reminding me of the typo. fixed.

Arist posted:

Depends on how long the updates will be. Speaking from my perspective as a reader and less from my experience as a creator, you somewhat paradoxically run the risk of losing readers if your updates are too long and happen too frequently because SSLPs require an attention investment and it's easy to fall behind if the updates come too often.

they were mostly 10-30 mins of gameplay - I decided to devide it by in-game chapters so the length may vary.
I also had an LP with long updates that needed to be devided into two posts... and well I dunno. I somehow feel the effect of long updates was not very good sometimes.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.

Arist posted:

You're also running a JRPG, if your updates weren't long then you'd still be doing it a decade from now. :v:

Eldsluft posted:

they were mostly 10-30 mins of gameplay - I decided to devide it by in-game chapters so the length may vary.
I also had an LP with long updates that needed to be devided into two posts... and well I dunno. I somehow feel the effect of long updates was not very good sometimes.

Depends on the editing process. 1-2 videos a week should be fine for that length, I know Strategic Sage's current VLP of Infested Planet is at 1/week right now at ~20-30 mins a video, and that's a fave of mine.

Eldsluft
Dec 22, 2021

So, I plan to run a fully pre-recorded LP of an short oriental horror game, and here are my already written OP and prelude...

OP
First Update

Since I will finish the writing before I make my first post, I am eager to hear comments beforehand.
Do they look good enough to be ready to post? Shall I increase or decrease the amount of my comments (mostly introduction about related cultural or social stuff)? Shall I increase or decrease the amount of screenshots / GIFs? Does the image size (they are in the game's original resolution, 1280×720) looks suitable?
and most importantly, is the prelude so far look interesting enough to progress?

I would be very grateful if anyone are generous to give any kind of advice or comments.

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

Eldsluft posted:

Since I will finish the writing before I make my first post, I am eager to hear comments beforehand.
Do they look good enough to be ready to post? Shall I increase or decrease the amount of my comments (mostly introduction about related cultural or social stuff)? Shall I increase or decrease the amount of screenshots / GIFs? Does the image size (they are in the game's original resolution, 1280×720) looks suitable?
and most importantly, is the prelude so far look interesting enough to progress?

This looks fairly good so far! Some thoughts:
  • I'd reduce the amount of content covered in a single update considerably - there's a lot of information that's been introduced and further built upon in the prelude alone that would be easier to digest if it was a bit shorter. Perhaps break the update up at the chapter title and at solving that first puzzle? With chunks of content that size, updating 3-4 times a week would give plenty of time for thread discussion while keeping a solid pace, I think.
  • There's a few instances in your comments where you shift grammatic tenses. It's not a major issue but they drew me out of the story enough that I'd figure I'd mention it.
  • I like the balance of screenshots/GIFs to text. The image size for screenshots and the emotion dialog seem good, but I'd increase the size of the character images a bit to add some more white space between the dialogue of different characters.
  • I think you've hit a good balance between your comments for cultural/social background context and the game context.

The prelude definitely looks interesting enough for me to want to read more - I'm eager to read your LP once you're posting it!

Eldsluft
Dec 22, 2021

dervival posted:

This looks fairly good so far! Some thoughts:
  • I'd reduce the amount of content covered in a single update considerably - there's a lot of information that's been introduced and further built upon in the prelude alone that would be easier to digest if it was a bit shorter. Perhaps break the update up at the chapter title and at solving that first puzzle? With chunks of content that size, updating 3-4 times a week would give plenty of time for thread discussion while keeping a solid pace, I think.
  • There's a few instances in your comments where you shift grammatic tenses. It's not a major issue but they drew me out of the story enough that I'd figure I'd mention it.
  • I like the balance of screenshots/GIFs to text. The image size for screenshots and the emotion dialog seem good, but I'd increase the size of the character images a bit to add some more white space between the dialogue of different characters.
  • I think you've hit a good balance between your comments for cultural/social background context and the game context.

The prelude definitely looks interesting enough for me to want to read more - I'm eager to read your LP once you're posting it!

Thanks for your feedback!
  • Reducing the content amount per update... that would make this LP significantly longer as the prelude was only 10 minutes of gameplay. Well it's just a matter of dividing the sections anyway... I should probably divide it into 2 or 3 parts and update every other day instead.
  • Grammar and vocabulary errors will be fixed as I proofread after the writing is finished.
  • I actually had some trouble uploading the gif! as the image hosting I use does not allow gifs larger than 5mb... they may be compressed instead. Should not be a big problem. I plan to resize every character image to 90×90 with transparent blanks left above and behind the image. Should be better then.
  • The comments are... well... I hope I can still do good in further episodes. I finished the writing of Chapter 1 today and already found myself rambling a lot about less relevant stuff.

Thanks for your kind word!
The writing would probably take another week or so before we can see it being post. (Or I may change my mind about finishing writing before posting...) I hope we can see each other in the thread then.

limeicebreakers
May 1, 2017

I was wondering something about archived LPs. If I, say, split up a single update into two posts due to length, will it be archived separately or on one page? A bunch of my updates have been a few thousand characters above forum post limit, so I opted to split them. Only just now had the presence of mind to ask about this.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

limeicebreakers posted:

I was wondering something about archived LPs. If I, say, split up a single update into two posts due to length, will it be archived separately or on one page? A bunch of my updates have been a few thousand characters above forum post limit, so I opted to split them. Only just now had the presence of mind to ask about this.

I don't think baldurk merges posts, though I might be wrong. If you want to merge two posts I'd just copy the text of both into the testposter, change the update text to a link to the testposter page, and notify baldurk about that update when you submit your request. Though, I heard that baldurk can't scrape forums smilies from the testposter, so if the post contains any of those maybe don't do that.

e: also, if you ever want a handy trick to get your updates down within the character limit, you can actually delete everything between the lpix image number and the file extension (so, the image name) in your lpix image links.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

limeicebreakers posted:

I'm pretty sure you can request certain posts to be merged as long as you don't go overboard with it.

limeicebreakers
May 1, 2017

Arist posted:

I don't think baldurk merges posts, though I might be wrong. If you want to merge two posts I'd just copy the text of both into the testposter, change the update text to a link to the testposter page, and notify baldurk about that update when you submit your request. Though, I heard that baldurk can't scrape forums smilies from the testposter, so if the post contains any of those maybe don't do that.

Vichan posted:

I'm pretty sure you can request certain posts to be merged as long as you don't go overboard with it.

Thanks! I know that there are options, at least. Also...

Arist posted:

e: also, if you ever want a handy trick to get your updates down within the character limit, you can actually delete everything between the lpix image number and the file extension (so, the image name) in your lpix image links.

:stare: I know what I'm gonna be doing after my LP is over. Wish I learned this before my computer got wiped and I had to refill my FaceCopy.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I don't actually recommend doing that unless you need the space, for the record, because I find it really helpful for the image name to be in the link itself, especially if I have to go back and re-edit things.

limeicebreakers
May 1, 2017

Arist posted:

I don't actually recommend doing that unless you need the space, for the record, because I find it really helpful for the image name to be in the link itself, especially if I have to go back and re-edit things.

Unfortunately around 10 of my updates have had this so far, so I'd like to trim them down if possible. The good thing, at least, is that most of them are from the later updates (which means less likelihood of me going back and changing everything after it's all done), but I'll keep that in mind and only erase the minimum.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
You know, one thing I wish LPix would do, would be to have an option to just copy an entire gallery's worth of URL's into your paste and then slap them into a post, then just adding text, spacing and formatting between them afterwards, because at this point the most tedious thing for me is pasting all the URL's over.

Someone please let me know if this is actually a function that LPix allows for.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

PurpleXVI posted:

You know, one thing I wish LPix would do, would be to have an option to just copy an entire gallery's worth of URL's into your paste and then slap them into a post, then just adding text, spacing and formatting between them afterwards, because at this point the most tedious thing for me is pasting all the URL's over.

Do you not use an uploader like ShareX that can just give you a list of URLs after upload?

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
I still use Rightload (I know), and I copy the list of URLs once I've uploaded the images and paste it into a text file. I need to change the http into https in each one anyway, and I'm usually then going to add some text and paste it into the test poster. I grab the edit URL from that and save it at the top of the file, in case I need to edit it later.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

TheMcD posted:

Do you not use an uploader like ShareX that can just give you a list of URLs after upload?

This is exactly what I do. Shift-click the first and last pictures and voila

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

PurpleXVI posted:

My uploader Megasend has a function that generates a text file of these.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?

TheMcD posted:

I do use ShareX but I had no idea it had such a function.

limeicebreakers
May 1, 2017

PurpleXVI posted:

I do use ShareX but I had no idea it had such a function.

Shift+click the first image, then shift+click the last image you want links of to select everything in between. Right-click any of the selected images > Copy > Forum (BBCode) link, or Forum (BBCode) image. It will copy every [img][/img] tag for each image. Paste it onto a text file and you're good to go.

Don't use Forum (BBCode) linked image, it copies every [img] url twice for some reason.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Oh my loving God.

I've... I've been uploading them all and then going to the LPix gallery, and then painstakingly going right-click, copy link to, ctrl+v in the post for every single image.

Oh my God. Oh my loving God. I COULD JUST HAVE BEEN DOING THIS ALL ALONG?!

Someone shoot me.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

No, we still want to watch you suffer through Antara. :colbert:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

PurpleXVI posted:

Oh my loving God.

I've... I've been uploading them all and then going to the LPix gallery, and then painstakingly going right-click, copy link to, ctrl+v in the post for every single image.

Someone shoot me.

many LPers have had this realization. myself included.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

...I have also been doing this the slow way.

Though with the way I've structured my workflow I'm not actually sure this faster way will be any more efficient for me. Still, definitely trying it next time.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

PurpleXVI posted:

Oh my loving God.

Someone shoot me.

There there. Now the healing can begin.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Everyone posted:

Horrors of which nothing should ever be spoken

Me, on Discord, a minute ago posted:

oh my I think I need to share my workflow.

like I don't have the best workflow, but that's because step 1 is "stop getting distracted by other games"

First, the overview of my process:

Open Irfanview. Set it to capture mode, saving into a new folder for the update. Set the naming template as "image#.png"; this will cause screenshots to increment from image1.png with no leading zeroes Open OBS. Start recording. Start playing. Do record screenshots while playing because even if you don't use them they're good for remembering what you thought was memorable at the time. You don't have to use a wired third party Switch controller with a mapping through Steam to your screenshot key combo because the Switch screenshot button is godly for LPs, but you do.

Anyway, screenshots! Woo!

Okay, now write the update. Put your text editor and images both up: either side by side if you're slumming it on a single screen, or on separate windows. Doesn't super matter, as long as you can see what you're typing, what the image is, and its filename.

And my text editor I use Notepad++. If you're not on Windows, then substitute the appropriate functionality. If your editor doesn't have the same functionality, get a better editor. If you are on Windows, use Notepad++.

So, Notepad++ should be configured with one thing in particular, and a number of optional aids:

Mandatory: Create a macro. This macro will automatically type in "[img]#image[/img]" and position the corner after the "e" in "image". If you can handle playing a video game, you can figure this out. Bind this macro to something sensible; I do Control+Shift+i. Whenever you want to insert an image, just hit that key combo, type in the number of the image from its filename, and move on. This drastically speeds up the process of writing the update, since now you can just "type" an image in a similar cadence to regular text. The Windows picture viewer lets you scroll images by using the mousewheel, even if the window isn't focused. Abuse this.

Optional: Create a User Defined Language definition for an LP update. Use this to custom style BBCode tags: make bolded text look bold, italicized text italicized, etc. Putting in different colors for numbers can help with a math heavy update, putting in stylings for your image tags helps you distinguish them when scrolling. Note that all of this is how Notepad++ displays your file: none of these stylings transfer over to the actual update.

Optional: Make macros and corresponding shortcuts for commonly used things: portraits, text formatting tags, if you insist on spelling Pokemon properly at all times, etc.

So, you've written your update. Fantastic! Save it. Honestly if you aren't habitually hitting Control+S every few lines or so, then don't worry. You'll learn to the hard way at some point.

Now, fire up Command Prompt (or Terminal or whatever). Navigate to the folder where you save your LP's text files. If this is a pain to get to, consider not putting it in C:\Users\DickbuttFucker2000\Documents\New Folder (2) (2) (42069)\lp\lol\stuff. Personally, I have a separate partition and put things at D:\lp, but do whatever works for you, as long as it's not that first one.

You're then going to put the following into a text file:

code:
import sys

with open(sys.argv[1]) as file:
    lines = file.readlines()
    imageLines = []
    for line in lines:
        if "[img]" in line:
            imageLines.append(line)
    #print(imageLines)
    imageNames = []
    imageName = ""
    image1 = ""
    image2 = ""
    ext = ".png"
    for line in imageLines:
        if "] [" in line:
            image1 = line[0:line.index(" ")]
            image2 = line[line.index(" "):len(line)]
            imageName = image1[6:len(image1) - 6]
            imageNames.append(imageName + ext)
            imageName = image2[7:len(image2) - 7]
        else:
            imageName = line[6:len(line) - 7]
    with open("imagelist.txt", "w") as imageListFile:
        for imageName in imageNames:
            imageListFile.write(imageName + "\n")
and save it as something (I do "fetchimages.py"). What is that? It's a Python script. You'll run it on your saved update file via the command "python fetchimages.py update2.txt".

You will likely then get an error saying Python isn't a recognized command because let's be real if you were the type to have Python installed already you'd have written something like this yourself.

Anyway, this script will capture up to two images per line and put their filenames into a text file. Note that if you use a different placeholder other than "[img]image#[/img]" then this script will not work write because I coded this for my personal use case and no one else's. Changing to fit your own style is a pretty simple matter, and if you have zero programming experience whatsoever, consider this a good excuse to learn the absolute basics.

You may also ask "what if I want more than two images per line?" To which I say: I wrote this for a PS1 game running at 512 pixels wide.

Anyway, so as you can see, that little number will pop out a file named "imagelist.txt". Take that, and put it and the following "copyfiles.py" in the folder with your images:

code:
import sys
import shutil

imageNamesFile = sys.argv[1]
targetDirectory = sys.argv[2]

with open(imageNamesFile) as file:
    lines = file.readlines()
    imageLines = []
    for line in lines:
        shutil.copy(line.strip(), targetDirectory)
Make a folder called "upload". The name is by convention, not requirement, but why mess with success?

You'll navigate there with a terminal window and run "python copyfiles.py imagelist.txt upload".

This will copy every file from that directory that appears in your update into that upload folder. If you get an error, chances are you put in the code for an image that doesn't exist: naturally, trying to copy image1002.png will not work when it doesn't exist. Proofread your updates!

So now you've got an upload folder of images. Go and use ShareX to upload that to LPix. This is covered elsewhere in the thread, so I won't walk you through it. You can take the results list of uploaded files, hit Control+A, Control+C to copy all of them, and then paste that list into a new text file. I call it "urllist.txt" but again: you do you. Save that list of image links into the folder with your update text file.

Get https://github.com/AdmiralCurtiss/RightloadUrlAutoReplace/releases if you haven't. Despite its name, it works on any arbitrary list of URLs...such as the one we just saved.

Open a command prompt in the folder with your update and urllist.txt. Run RightloadUrlAutoReplace.exe. If you're like me and always forget the order of the syntax, run it without any further arguments and you'll get the how-to. In any event, you'll type "RightloadUrlAutoReplace.exe update1.txt urllist.txt update1-final.txt [img]# [/img]". All of those image# tags you put down will be filled in by the URLs you obtained from uploading the images. You may now copy and paste your update into the SSLP Test Poster or just into a post and hit Preview.

Or just say gently caress it, hit Post and do it live. I'm not your mother.

In any event, the benefit of doing things this way is that the only part of the chain that is in your hands is the typing of the image file number into your post. Everything else is automated, keeping you from accidentally screwing up a repeated step. You may do things differently. In fact, you all do things differently because this is the first time I've made the (hasty work of an hour years ago) Python scripts I use public. Nevertheless, please no one ever say again that you're manually copying and pasting image URLs and stuff. The hour or so you spend getting a more automated workflow in place will pay itself back in record time, I promise you.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
I just noticed I put "First, an overview of the process" and then described everything with no "second".

So, uhh, secondly: provided as is no warranty you owe me the profits from your LP if you use this advice void where prohibited.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Rather than snapping screenshots in-game, I tend to just record everything as a video and then screenshot from that afterwards. That means even if I miss something while playing, I have unlimited second chances to grab it.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

PurpleXVI posted:

Rather than snapping screenshots in-game, I tend to just record everything as a video and then screenshot from that afterwards. That means even if I miss something while playing, I have unlimited second chances to grab it.

Same, but I also like to build up a massive backlog of footage just so I don't have to go back to playing for a while, so there can be a gap of months between when I do a segment and when the LP hits it. If I did screenshots as I go, odds are I would completely forget any comments I had by the time I had to make an update for them.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

PurpleXVI posted:

This is absolutely the best way to do screenshot LPs if you can spare the disk space, IMO. Even if you're playing a slow game where taking screenshots manually would be feasible, it's nice to remove the possibility of capturing a weird frame or being a bit late on something.

Also helps prevent weird expression frames, like MegaMan Battle Network LPs used to get a lot of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Rosalie_A posted:

Now, fire up Command Prompt (or Terminal or whatever). Navigate to the folder where you save your LP's text files. If this is a pain to get to, consider not putting it in C:\Users\DickbuttFucker2000\Documents\New Folder (2) (2) (42069)\lp\lol\stuff. Personally, I have a separate partition and put things at D:\lp, but do whatever works for you, as long as it's not that first one.

Extra pro tip: The Windows Explorer folder bar works as a command prompt. So you can click on that and just type 'cmd' in there to get a command prompt already in the correct folder.