Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Also, Golden Goliath (Mime) from the Stormblood level Blue Mage quests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

also this is a minor thing, but i like how the pugilist in the Sage questline has a move called Fist of the Scholar instead of the usual Fist of the Destroyer, suggesting Sharlayan has its own brand of martial arts

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

I don’t know if the classes have names,but Rhitatyn and his gunsheilds, and Nero with his gunhammer. I imagine we’ll get a hammer class eventually.

FeatherFloat
Dec 31, 2003

Not kyuute

Edmund Lava posted:

I don’t know if the classes have names,but Rhitatyn and his gunsheilds, and Nero with his gunhammer. I imagine we’ll get a hammer class eventually.

There's whatever Gaia's doing with her hammer, too!

I am very excited for The Hammer Class. I don't even care what it is. HAMMER.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
We have three Botanist classes but only one full-time Miner class? What is this lopsided representation?
(No, I don't care that WAR and PLD sometimes cosplay.)

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 40 minutes!

Edmund Lava posted:

I was trying to distinguish it as a style that we can infer either has or had multiple practitioners. Greathammers are interesting because we can infer that they're broadly a legitimate weapon, but also that Nero and Gaia probably aren't using codified schools. This is also why I consider Ran'jit a 'maybe', because it's hard to tell if he's a lone weirdo or the last remaining practitioner of a style.

Interestingly, we can tell that gunshields actually were some sort of a standard technique, because Memoria Misera confirmed that Varis wielded one back in his day.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Granson from the tank ShB role quests has some unique names for his skills when they would be dark knight flavored for us. Kinda neat.

idk if you'd consider every person in the First who casts Ronkan [x] as a different job but

I would

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Grynewaht actually uses a gunhammer AND a gunshield.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Grynewaht fucks.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Hogama posted:

Grynewaht actually uses a gunhammer AND a gunshield.

I would propose that the Gunshield is the particular focal point here. Much like how Paladins whilst they can have a variety of main hands, are largely defined by their shield.

Look at Varis, whilst he uses his gun sword, much of his mechanics are around what his Gunshield is firing, or doing defensively.

Also I’ve mentioned in the past but male Viera likely have a relatively codified spear and bow guerrilla warfare fighting style.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Feb 18, 2022

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Grynewaht fucks.

I do not believe that Grynewaht has ever had sex in his life

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Grynewaht fucks.

he fooooooooooooooooooooooooocks

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I bought the Final Fantasy isekai manga and there’s a Roegadyn equivalent race named Hyuuj. The Miqo’te are called Catters

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

That sounds like a gobbieword, Illuminati cat, Illuminati catter, Illuminati cattest.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

Grynewaht fucks.

No he just sucks.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

There are lots of characters in the game whose stories could be called tragic, or sad, but Grynewaht might be the most pathetic

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

FuturePastNow posted:

There are lots of characters in the game whose stories could be called tragic, or sad, but Grynewaht might be the most pathetic

Grynewaht is interesting because he is a Garlean true believer with all the ideas of supremacy and arrogance, but he lacks the strength and cunning of someone like Zenos or the resolve of someone like Gaius. He’s someone who was probably seen as a lesser domestically and was lured in because in his mind “A Garlean going abroad means I get to go be a bully to others.”

We see “strong” Garleans in people like Gaius, Nero, Zenos, Nael, and even Varis.

Grynewaht is a person that thinks the Garlean identity can turn him from a loser to a champion. As his defeats start to shatter this worldview, he gets more and more desperate until he sacrifices his very identity.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Grynewaht fucks.

he absolutely does not

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
But would Grynewaht say “gently caress”?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
It has come to my attention that Grynewaht does in fact not gently caress.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

lets just say his namedays arent the only thing to have come at once :wink:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Every character in FFXIV fucks. Yes even Magnai. Especially Magnai.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Countblanc posted:

Every character in FFXIV fucks. Yes even Magnai. Especially Magnai.

Whatever you say, little sun.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Magnai asks if there are any ladies on the moon. :allears:

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Grynewaht is noted in passing by NPCs to be a fairly formidable combatant. He's just neither on the level of Zenos in prowess, nor is he much of a leader at all - and he keeps running against the Warrior of Light and crew, so his shortcomings keep getting magnified. The Enyclopaedia Eorzea (II) notes that he was also pretty green - he'd barely ever seen action before he got sent into the field with his own command at Carteneau at the end of Heavensward (not that the higher ups really cared if he did anything with it).

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea Grynewaht is likely a good soldier, he just has the problem of being a 'good' combatant who goes up against The loving Warrior Of Light in nearly every part of his short career and has loving Zenos as his superior so the guy never really had a chance to shine.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
That profile does not make it sound like he has much to shine with. Like it's going out of its way to say that he's good at wrecking stuff and not much else.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner
Him showing up with an army the instant after the WoL got an army of their own was the height of hilarity to me.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Thing I wanted to post somewhere but it's very much not appropriate for Sanguinia's LP thread so here I am.

The GSM level 60 quest is fantastic, and this game's music is fantastic. The questline involves making a pair of music boxes for a married couple looking to celebrate their anniversary, and when paired together the tunes from the two boxes is very much a mellow, slowed down version of The Maker's Ruin, the upbeat fighttimes song that first plays when you fight Ultima Weapon, and is kind of Your Theme.

Except I did that quest well after beating Shadowbringers so when it booted up my immediate reaction was "What the gently caress why is Ardbert's Theme here in an old Heavensward quest?! :staredog: " So I went looking into what the music box song was, and realized that it was a rendition of The Maker's Ruin, and in turn found out long, long after playing Shadowbringers that Ardbert's Theme is our theme, cause, well, you know the rest.

Soken's leifmotif game is so wildly good, he may as well have been musically shouting ARDBERT IS YOU, YOU ARE ARDBERT from the rooftops from the first moment you meet the guy, and did it without spoiling that plot point at all, for me at least. Instead it was just an intensely melancholy, nostalgic feeling like I'd been reunited with an old and beloved friend, when it was a guy I barely knew outside of fighting him.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

[bravely] soken reuses motifs too often

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
No such thing

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Super No Vacancy posted:

I admit, I got a little annoyed with this in StB, but I came back around to liking it in ShB and EW.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

WrightOfWay posted:

I admit, I got a little annoyed with this in StB, but I came back around to liking it in ShB and EW.

The issue I had with Stormblood was that the leitmotifs didn't blend well.

*something light on the strings, soft but high energy building to--* :sax:STORM OF BLOOD! BORN FROM BLOOD! OF OUR FALLEN BROTHERS!:sax:

It just doesn't show up at anything less than an 11. Heavensward blended much better, as do most of the other leitmotifs. When they want to be strong they go all-out, but they can also be more subtle.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Super No Vacancy posted:

I sorta felt it at its worst in stormblood, definitely. diversifying motifs by region instead of by expac in shb and ew really helped.

ashamed to admit it wasn't until I got my sage into mt. gulg did I realize it was the kholusia motif

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
The Heavensward motif is pretty obnoxiously overdone to me, though that might be in part because crafting and gathering and such on level keep me in those zones far too long.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Jamming the whole motif into the quest accept/complete jingle made me roll my eyes early in Endwalker

Most of the actual music is fine though

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
endsinger is The Leitmotif Boss and it’s nice that they just let soken get weird with it.

the stb dungeon boss music is rad too

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Vitamean posted:

I sorta felt it at its worst in stormblood, definitely. diversifying motifs by region instead of by expac in shb and ew really helped.

ashamed to admit it wasn't until I got my sage into mt. gulg did I realize it was the kholusia motif

my favorite motifs are the ones that slap me in the face months after i first hea them

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Magres posted:

my favorite motifs are the ones that slap me in the face months after i first hea them

The real "recurring character shows up right at the end to everyone's cheers" moment in Endwalker is Maker's Ruin during the Endsinger fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

One on hand I will never get sick of STORM OF BLOOD BORN FROM BLOOD OF OUR FALLEN BROTHERS but I cannot help but notice how bits of that track finds its way into all sorts of SB content.