Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

.random posted:

It was lowered to 40 per server. But remember, not all of them are pilots! Some are janitors. Some are cocktail waitresses or courtesans. The ‘verse is home to countless opportunities, if you’re willing to take them.

lol for real? There are only 40 players per server? How many players are generally playing SC at any given time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Pennywise the Frown posted:

lol for real? There are only 40 players per server? How many players are generally playing SC at any given time?

The NPCs are so complex that they're indistinguishable from players, so who could even say???

stinch
Nov 21, 2013

would be funny if these were the same as elite.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

stinch posted:

would be funny if these were the same as elite.

This is a really bog standard keyboard and mouse setup for this type of game.

.random
May 7, 2007

You seem to be using the words “players” and “playing” with reckless abandon there, commando.

I have no idea how many they claim to be playing at a given time, but they had to lower the per-server cap to support an amazing!!! Xenothreat special event which involved loading boxes onto a space ship and then shooting a different space ship. I believe some enterprising griefers discovered that some part of the event was a “global” achievement across servers (using, presumably, advanced “everyone write to the same database” technology) so if they blew up something on one server, it blew up for everyone and they failed part of a mission. Which I deeply respect.

They haven’t raised the cap back up (I mean, anything more than 15 players and it’s frankly too many for an MMO, if you ask me), but they HAVE re-run apparently they exact same special event at least once and will be doing it again soon if I am following the comments in the other SC thread correctly. Progress!

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Dwesa posted:

also, don't forget about your legacy, commandos

stolen from refunds sub

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

"Sorry honey, we don't have a college fund for you, but we do have a $5k spaceship jpg from a game you've never played! Wait why are you packing your room let's talk about this"

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

The Titanic posted:

The one sq404 "demo" they showed a few years back was this convoluted mission where it ended up turning into a rescue mission to save a female pilot from pirates or something. Because naturally women weak, man strong, is the best way to get a good demo out the door that appeals to everyone.

Naturally you roll up to it and she's tied and beaten in the space ship and you get to rescue the damsel in distress. Because the other thing people like in your one demo you show of the game is some good women torture scenes. That makes your game awesome.

Naturally a scene like this sets off a variety of emotions in your citizens. None of which are the good kind, but rather the sort where they are planning to do this kind of thing in star citizen the mmo and a variety of torture mechanics are now spawned.

https://twitter.com/TheAstroPub/status/1494047416059899912
https://twitter.com/starloper/status/1494083905728573443
https://twitter.com/HeyyThisIsNick/status/1494088040536543237

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Degenerates.

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
If the virtual world from Ready Player 1 was real, it would have turned into a nightmarish hellscape even worse than the semi-apocalyptic real world the book was set in.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Don't most AI's turn into Nazis if let out into the public?

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Don't most AI's turn into Nazis if let out into the public?

I'm always reminded of Microsoft's Tay, who turned into a full Jew-hating racist within a couple hours of being released into the wild: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tay_(bot)

AI is a reflection of humanity and holy poo poo we should never allow any machine to be smarter than we are or it will immediately come to the conclusion we need to be exterminated

Vice President
Jul 4, 2007

I'm number two around here.

what are the odds that the star citizen TOS has the pretty standard disclaimer that accounts can't be transferred so when he dies, the college fund spaceship game dies with him

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Seth Pecksniff posted:

I'm always reminded of Microsoft's Tay, who turned into a full Jew-hating racist within a couple hours of being released into the wild: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tay_(bot)

AI is a reflection of humanity and holy poo poo we should never allow any machine to be smarter than we are or it will immediately come to the conclusion we need to be exterminated

quote:

Tay responded to a question on "Did the Holocaust happen?" with "It was made up".

:lol:

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Or worse, only exterminate people who aren't considered human while elevating the ones who are to godhood so they can recreate Warhammer 40,000 in real life.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://twitter.com/humechgames/status/1494052951123394561
https://twitter.com/CtznShenanigans/status/1494071266113900550

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

I’ve done some rope programming in just 2d and lemme tell ya it’s a huge pain in the rear end with tons of hilarious edge cases unless you work hard to limit it. So I’m looking forward to buggy rear end ropes breaking star citizen in half

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Yaldabaoth posted:

Or worse, only exterminate people who aren't considered human while elevating the ones who are to godhood so they can recreate Warhammer 40,000 in real life.

Brb building a shrine to Tzeentch in preparation.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

CommissarMega posted:

Brb building a shrine to Tzeentch in preparation.

Weird how the dev team are subordinate to Tzeentch Roberts, Changer And Delays but most of the backers love Slaanesh (pain, lust etc).

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Croberts is more Nurgle, I'd say- never moving forward, not a lot of activity, content to wallow in their mediocrity, unwilling to change from how he was during his 'glory days' in the WC era till today. 100% with you on Slaaneshi cultist customers though.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Wallowing in depravity and excess completely unhinged from reality with ever more ridiculous demands. (Slaanesh isn't just all about the murderfucking and drugs. Though there's still lots of that.)

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

quote:

It may well be rare, but that minority is loud and persistent. They have been around for years, some of them were the original backers who helped influence others to join via social media, they are not fools or uneducated they know how to tread the fine line just subtle enough not to be dismissed as partisan. They have skills in influence campaigns and they are organised far more than people realise.

A lot of people may get frustrated by some aspect of CIG's actions and communication at some point - we all do - that's when the negative influence talking points start to have a more undue influence, people stop dreaming and start fretting. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering - and they do suffer every time they realise that the project continued on spectacularly without them, they really suffer. Like all emotionally deep suffering, after a while it becomes a norm they can't live without or walk away from.

CIG do know the difference between constructive criticism from people who wish the project to succeed and those whose only motivation is to see others dreams trashed because they felt their dreams were trashed. The time to communicate was at the inception of the project - CIG did that in spades - the communication and outcome from that communication is still around to see... but there comes a time when discussion ends and a solid picture of the final product becomes set in stone. Some see this as poor communication by CIG, a few see it as them absorbing all the previous communication and integrating into a final dream that is being hammered out behind closed doors.

This is not a time to worry, it is time to brush off the old and look to the future. In the old days all we had were dreams - now we have tools and a global team with the skillset to achieve those dreams, more and more tools come online and more and more team members join, we are seeing things added to the reality of that dream regularly, for a small minority it will never be fast enough, but the majority do play the game and recognise that progress is being made, they do continue to contribute in large numbers even though it irks those tired old stick-in-the-muds who foretold doom and gloom if CIG didn't see it their way.

I'm a health professional by trade so I can speak with authority when I say - 80% of any population will go through a period of mild to moderate depression, around 10% of that 80% will go on to severe long term depression exhibiting many symptoms and borderline personality disorders that would otherwise have gone unnoticed. Any group of any appreciable size will have it's dissenters, it's haters and it's zealots those who take a negative view of just about anything as their default position. That's just good old plain human behaviour... so all human communication and interaction should be viewed with these facts in mind. The more the life-stress, the more the desire to see a dream happen, the more people feel invested in something, the more 'passion' will be exhibited. It is not as hard as some might think to separate the irrational and the noise from actual expressions of appreciation and honest feedback.

Don't fall into the trap of ignoring the silent moderate majority, they are the ones who make dreams come true, not the vigilantes, that's why we are here with something to talk about. The ever-anxious minority perma-doubters don't build anything but more fear, uncertainty and doubt. We may as well be speaking a foreign language when we remind them that "I can't wait any longer!" does not equal "CIG will never do it!".

quote:

What a load, now people who question CIG's direction have mental issues?

I wish moderation was unbiased so you could get your comeuppance for your giant generalization/personal attack against a whole class of backers.

quote:

If you're a healthcare professional than you would know the serious ethical issues of armchair diagnosis and why no self-respecting clinician would opine to diagnose someone they haven't treated as a patient.
That you're making board generalizations about backers' mental health just because they don't agree with you is pretty shocking imo and removes what little credibility you post previously had up until that point.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

a cyberpunk goose posted:

I’ve done some rope programming in just 2d and lemme tell ya it’s a huge pain in the rear end with tons of hilarious edge cases unless you work hard to limit it. So I’m looking forward to buggy rear end ropes breaking star citizen in half

Rope usage is gonna lead to entire planets being blown up and I cannot wait for that

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

a cyberpunk goose posted:

STARCITIZEN: buggy rear end ropes breaking Star Citizen in half

Bar Patron
Jun 12, 2015

I remember growing up in a Christian household, with talk of heaven and a paradise earth where you could see your dead loved ones again. A hope we would share with other people on their doorsteps at 9am on a Saturday. But whatever promises God has made pale in comparison to what Chris Roberts has in store for us. This is a game that brings hope to mankind, there isn't anything conceivably better than Star Citizen to look forward to. This is a game that can pull people out of the depths of their depression, the great hope of humans everywhere. It's a wonder why we aren't handing out pamphlets to bring joy to the world.

Bar Patron fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Feb 20, 2022

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Social Hacking? posted:

You know, Citizens... while it's always good to discuss the issues we're facing as a community, and while it's always fair to question how this community might be led more effectively, it's occurred to me that the level of vitriol, hate, and despair on this board over the last month might be disproportionate even to the angst that some of the older, more disenchanted backers might be experiencing. I'm wondering if there might be dissenters from outside the Star Citizen fandom who have embedded themselves in order to stir up poo poo, and who have been deliberately stoking negative responses.

Regardless of a person's personal politics, we all know there are governments and insurgencies who plan and execute the kinds of efforts I'm talking about (even if we disagree about who those parties happen to be) and the truth is that CIG has spent half a billion dollars on establishing independent media that's not beholden to current finance models. While a space sim might not in and of itself be dangerous to hostile political movements, the idea of crowdfunding half a billion dollars and liberating oneself from the standardized expectations of modern media is potentially a dealbreaker.

When engaging trolls online, remember that they're not always acting in good faith according to the values they are expressing. In this modern age, it's entirely possible that people are actively trying to tear this community apart from the outside. I'm not saying it's a fact. I'm saying it's a possibility, and It's one we should all keep in mind when we're interacting with one another.

Watch out for the "I'm not a hater/racist/sexist/etc. BUT..." posts. Just because you're here to escape that world doesn't mean some other account isn't here for a different reason altogether, and we need to be open-minded and conscious about how we interact with one another - and "open-minded" doesn't mean suggestible. Control your engagement, and be smart, kind, and constructive about how engage other accounts. Remember what world we're living in.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

People wouldn't just go on the internet and do that, would they?

Trollologist
Mar 3, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Please don't question this cult I'm in. I only spent $20,000 on ships (sorry it's not more) and I don't want to think it was a bad decision.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Oh absolutely. Blizzard and Square Enix are playing the long game, and that includes corporate espionage of CIG because they know Star Citizen is going to enable them to buy out their companies eventually

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
citizn'ts - I know the game is fast approaching being a decade late and has less than 1''% of the promised content, but I'd like to talk to you about how outside trolls are infiltrating our community and criticizing the game, you see

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

I have been making rope since my early teens and let me tell you this star citizen rope is some of the worst rope I have seen.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

peter gabriel posted:

citizn'ts - I know the game is fast approaching being a decade late and has less than 1''% of the promised content, but I'd like to talk to you about how outside trolls are infiltrating our community and criticizing the game, you see

Furthermore this campaign is comparable to Russian disinformation campaigns. Putin hates Star Citizen!

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
The attacks on star citizen are far too frequent and on point for it not to be a well organised attack.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Xenocides posted:

Furthermore this campaign is comparable to Russian disinformation campaigns. Putin hates Star Citizen!

Tsar Citisn't

peter gabriel fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Feb 20, 2022

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

peter gabriel posted:

Tsar Citizen

is :discourse:

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
:ninja:

DoomLazer
Jun 1, 2011
*Liz Lemon voice*
"Crowdfunding half a billion dollars and liberating oneself from the standardized expectations of modern media - that's a dealbreaker"

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Legitimate Banu Slaving / Banu Paperwork posted:

I've mentioned "Banu paperwork" in the past in various slaving threads but figured it should have its own thread for easier reference along with an expanded outline.

Like grinding for rep or a license for any of the current factions, it would be cool if players could earn the right to work for the Banu Slaving Souli. And since the UEE and the Banu are allies, it kind of makes sense for the UEE to allow legitimate Banu slavers safe passage through UEE space to North Banu space (Trise system) or potentially along the Southern UEE region connecting to multiple Banu systems.

In an effort to avoid confusion it's important to point out that legitimate Banu slavers operating under the Banu Slaving Souli aren't the same as hard / criminal slavers. Hard / criminal slavers are practicing illegal slaving and their actions are always illegal.

But Souli slavers? Totally legitimate and allowed, as diet-slavery (indentured servitude) is a cornerstone of Banu culture. So the UEE shouldn't have any issues with Soulis transporting product through UEE space as long as it's regulated and subject to checks / scans.

Allowing Souli Slavers safe passage through UEE space will bring in more money for the Empire (fuel, supplies, import fees, etc.) while cutting down on needless misunderstandings with PMCs and heroes who might not fully understand Banu culture. More money + less issues is always good.

BANU PAPERWORK / BANU SLAVING PERMIT
  • permit holder can transport slaves through UEE space
  • permit holder cannot kidnap UEE citizens, that is still highly illegal
  • must still stop for Advocacy / law enforcement scans (is paperwork in order? does manifest match cargo?)
  • can be purchased in-game by grinding Banu Slaving Souli missions / rep
  • also available for store pledge, $50-$100, same price as a land claim
FAKING BANU PAPERWORK WITH INFOBROKER (criminal workaround / money sink)

We know a small minority of humans and Banu are hard / criminal slavers and operate in lawless space (and sometimes even within UEE space but on the fringes).

Buying product from them is obviously an illegal action, but perhaps some fake manifests can be made to pass the product off as legitimate and authorized by the Banu Slaving Souli.

These manifests wouldn't be foolproof though (perhaps based on money spent and/or level or skill of NPC info broker?), meaning the right amount of detective work / scanning could reveal the truth.

CONSEQUENCES

If a holder of a legitimate Banu slaving permit is caught hard / illegal slaving (caught with fake manifests) then their Banu slaving permits and rep with the Slaving Souli are revoked, and that holder will need to re-earn the rep and re-buy a new slaving permit.

And in a scenario where the criminal was never a holder of a legitimate Banu permit to begin with, the negative rep still applies - it would be that much more difficult, time consuming and expensive for them to acquire a legitimate permit from the Banu Slaving Souli (after all, the Banu need to protect their good name and dealing with real slavers wouldn't help).

And of course the jail times (in both scenarios).

AS A HOLDER OF A LEGITIMATE BANU SLAVING PERMIT, WHY WOULD I RISK LOSING IT BY BUYING PRODUCT FROM UNAUTHORIZED DEALERS (HUMAN & BANU HARD SLAVERS)?

Money. Better margins. Their product is priced to move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

im opining to diagnose this as a bad game.