Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Dustcat posted:

they are, because the energy stored in a kilogram of battery is very low compared to gasoline, so you need a giant battery to go anywhere

it's why they're usually less quiet too, because sound insulation is heavy and you have to sacrifice some of that to budget for the battery

All EVs I've driven have been significantly quieter than ice cars I've driven.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Fame Douglas posted:

A meth car would be rowdy as hell I bet.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

Fame Douglas posted:

quieter/louder in the sense of less/more road noise in the cabin

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
The only EVs that are actually better for environment are trains hth

Charles Ingalls
Jan 31, 2021

Ensign Expendable posted:

I guess most of the 4 ton class tanks were actually like 4.5, but you get some that were less.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vickers_T-15_light_tank

yes but a light tank today is 4 times that

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Thanks to Sen. Warren's Green Military Initiative, this tank is carbon neutral!

*drives through a small child's bedroom in a botched raid*

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Charles Ingalls posted:

yes but a light tank today is 4 times that

That doesn't seem light at all.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Tank obesity is a real concern

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

Thanks to Sen. Warren's Green Military Initiative, this tank is carbon neutral!

*drives through a small child's bedroom in a botched raid*

I mean, that child could have grown up to be an oil baron. Please think these things through.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Tank inflation.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Biplane posted:

A meth car would be rowdy as hell I bet.

Ether is the meth of gas and diesel engines.

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

The Chairman posted:

Idk what this post means but yeah EV cars are more quiet when they are running on electricity?

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

some of these equally describe lawyers

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

Orange Devil posted:

Tank inflation.

SUVs are just following the same general embiggening as military poo poo

Only registered members can see post attachments!

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Feral Integral posted:

Idk what this post means but yeah EV cars are more quiet when they are running on electricity?

it means the cabin inside is quieter and you can't hear the environment as much. it's like the opposite of what you're talking about with how much noise the actual car makes for everyone else.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Dog Case posted:

SUVs are just following the same general embiggening as military poo poo

To be fair the F-22 is a fuckin' enormous jet, even by modern jet standards. Like here's a Mustang with an F-22 and F-15 (both enormous) but also an F-16, which isn't really all that much bigger than the mustang:

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Shame Boy posted:

To be fair the F-22 is a fuckin' enormous jet, even by modern jet standards. Like here's a Mustang with an F-22 and F-15 (both enormous) but also an F-16, which isn't really all that much bigger than the mustang:

The F-15 and 16 are both nearly 50 years old so it still follows that they just keep getting bigger

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Dog Case posted:

The F-15 and 16 are both nearly 50 years old so it still follows that they just keep getting bigger

The F-35 is barely bigger than the F-16, by like a foot.

Like you think the F-35 is a fuckin' shitshow, imagine if we went with the F-22 (or something like it) instead. Lotta the same problems and astronomical cost, but it's also huge and requires even more fuel and money to maintain since it has two engines.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
I thought the f22 was the good one.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Piloting a f-69 into your mom's house while you talk about nerd poo poo

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
the f22 is good in Microsoft flight simulator if you download the mod some weirdos made that lets you flight it

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Tankbuster posted:

I thought the f22 was the good one.

Yes, the good fighter jet.

Both because war machines are bad in general and because all of them are designed to be expensive, full of impressive sounding bloat and using parts from every constituency.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

When I was a dumb child i was totally into jets and poo poo. I had the posters with jets and helicopters from the Scolastic book fair and desert sheild and desert storm shirts because that was a thing you could buy in child sizes for some reason

But now I'm a dumb adult and i hate all that and everything else

https://twitter.com/GadzooksB/status/1493587239292452866?t=MPBiU_NYCzAcjznh-ivOPA&s=19

Anime Bernie Bro
Feb 4, 2020

FUCK MY ASSHOLE, LOL

duz posted:

why are cameras so racist

fun-fact: the now-mandatory DUI cameras being installed on every car work on the exact same principle

some of them require you to select your ethnicity before booting up your car

if you just set your ethnicity to asian, it will NEVER flag u

would strongly suggest that all people, regardless of ethnicity, identify themselves as asian to the cars

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Anime Bernie Bro posted:

fun-fact: the now-mandatory DUI cameras being installed on every car work on the exact same principle

would strongly suggest that all people, regardless of ethnicity, identify themselves as asian to the cars

i need like a popsicle stick or something so i can make this choice with my epicanthal folds, just make a complete mockery of this facial recognition racial poo poo

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Fame Douglas posted:

Road noise from (moving) Teslas is comparable to similarly-sized ICE sedans, as it's mostly a function of weight - with modern designs the engine noise is negligible. If you ever walk anyplace near traffic, there's no real difference between a Telsa and a Camry that drives past you. Tire selection is also a big part of this - the "fuel efficient" tires that came with my Volt were annoyingly loud, for example.

PatentPending
Nov 27, 2007

[1950s eel-based dad joke]
Some urban planning YouTube video I watched (so an unimpeachable source I’m sure you’ll agree) said that as a rule of thumb once you hit 40mph the tires are making more noise than the engine.

pygmy tyrant
Nov 25, 2005

*not a small business owner

why would you ever turn the stereo down enough to hear your car? It all just sounds like a repair bill getting more expensive and urgent and driving is stressful enough most of the time already.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Anime Bernie Bro posted:

fun-fact: the now-mandatory DUI cameras being installed on every car

the what?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

https://apnews.com/article/coronavirus-pandemic-joe-biden-technology-business-health-068ee87392b0cca1444053b854a514dd

No such tech exists at present but congress mandated it by 2026.

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Anime Bernie Bro posted:

Well clearly we just need the algorithm to determine your race for you.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

The Chairman posted:

I wish they scaled back on that. I got a hot hatch and you can barely hear the engine noise, despite sounding great from outside the car.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Good God this is hosed, this is gonna be a cluster gently caress

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Wait, what? Is this poo poo they show to management or does this union buster actually come in and say "the two thirds of you who signed union cards are lazy whiners" as their master plan to win the election?

someusername
Jan 26, 2015

Holy loving poo poo. Instead of a DUI convicted person paying $800 for Interlock after their 2nd fuckup or whatever, everyone has to pay that on every car sold? Am I reading that right? I see automatic braking is in there too?

Going to keep my 06 Tacoma running until I die. It just got a whole new frame for free and the entire suspension while at it. Should be able to get another 15-20yrs

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

The technology is called ban cars and driving

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

someusername posted:

Holy loving poo poo. Instead of a DUI convicted person paying $800 for Interlock after their 2nd fuckup or whatever, everyone has to pay that on every car sold? Am I reading that right? I see automatic braking is in there too?

Going to keep my 06 Tacoma running until I die. It just got a whole new frame for free and the entire suspension while at it. Should be able to get another 15-20yrs

I read about this when BIF was still in the drafting stages: It's supposed to be a passive system; one technology that is being developed to comply with this dumb mandate are sensors that measure alcohol content in the air, with the car refusing to start if the alcohol level in the air is too high. The timeline for the mandate can also be extended a few years if the technology isn't ready by 2026.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Fame Douglas posted:

one technology that is being developed to comply with this dumb mandate are sensors that measure alcohol content in the air, with the car refusing to start if the alcohol level in the air is too high.
So if four drunk passengers and one sober driver get into a car to go home, they can't?

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

if the windows are rolled up lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Lol you could gently caress someone over by busting open a $1 bottle of rubbing alcohol and throwing it on the upholstery