Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Wal-Mart style crocs are still my go to camp shoes when I end up bringing them. They weigh a bit more but are dirt cheap and also effective for river crossings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Mine show up tomorrow.

If they're awful, heads will roll, Fitzy Fitz. :stare:

Hope you like them. I was disappointed when I first put them on (can't remember why), but now I use them all the time. I appreciate being able to carry an extra pair of footwear that's easy to pack, adds practically no weight, can handle water, and doesn't require socks. I always used to debate whether to bring sandals or camp shoes, but I don't give it a second thought now.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I fashioned minimalist sandals out of a scrap of old t-shirt and some dental floss. I weighed six different t-shirts to find the lightest one to use.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The pros strap smartwater bottles to their feet, when you get to a water source you can take them off and fill them up. Then you run the hose to your bladder and use your bodyweight to pump water through your sawyer.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Hope you like them. I was disappointed when I first put them on (can't remember why), but now I use them all the time. I appreciate being able to carry an extra pair of footwear that's easy to pack, adds practically no weight, can handle water, and doesn't require socks. I always used to debate whether to bring sandals or camp shoes, but I don't give it a second thought now.

They showed up early! I'm currently wearin' em.

They feel nice enough. It'll take some walking around to get used it the barefoot feel.

Thanks for the recommendation.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Xero makes some seriously minimalist sandals. I use them as camp shoes.

https://xeroshoes.com/shop/product-category/sandals-mens/

E: oh, drat, I just noticed you're headed to the Cohuttas. That's my old backyard. I might be able to help if you ever want to run your itinerary by us.

I went to this site to see what these sandals looked like. That's it, didn't add anything to cart, didn't enter any personal information, nothing. A few hours later, I got an email from them advertising these shoes to me.

WTF? This website can die in a fire, I will never buy anything from them and am legit curious what mechanism they used to find my primary email address just from my browsing the site.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

armorer posted:

I went to this site to see what these sandals looked like. That's it, didn't add anything to cart, didn't enter any personal information, nothing. A few hours later, I got an email from them advertising these shoes to me.

WTF? This website can die in a fire, I will never buy anything from them and am legit curious what mechanism they used to find my primary email address just from my browsing the site.

Presumably they use some ecommerce product which is also used by a different site you have purchased through. Taking a brief look at the browser console, I see it hitting jilt.com, which advertises email services for "cart abandonment".

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Pham Nuwen posted:

Presumably they use some ecommerce product which is also used by a different site you have purchased through. Taking a brief look at the browser console, I see it hitting jilt.com, which advertises email services for "cart abandonment".

Yeah that's the most straightforward way they could really. Cart abandonment emails are super annoying as well and something that makes me pretty much immediately write off a web commerce site. I didn't add anything to my cart here even though, I literally just clicked the link and then clicked through the sandal pics. I immediately unsubscribed, and if I get any other emails from them I'll add a filter to send them to hell.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I get cart abandonment emails from basically every site now

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Leave No Cart

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
I finally jumped on the Chaco train last year, and while I need the durability that I don't think xeros have, they do really throw their weight around when strapped to my bag. I need like 3 carabiners just to keep them from swinging me off balance. The chafing after going in/out of water is pretty gnarly too.

and in case anyone cares,

Verman posted:

Platypus big zip in a 2 litter size.

I did get it crammed mostly in my bag, but after putting it through it's paces I think it's a bit of a piece of poo poo. I haven't had the tube disconnect from the bladder and flood my bag yet, but the bite valve loves to pop right off the tubing and spill water all down my torso and pants. Like, I'm going to have to super glue this sucker just to keep it from falling off from the vibration of walking around. It's really sad, especially with how great the 2L LP was. I guess that's some motivation to get the LP patched up if possible.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Weird, my platypus stuff has all been great. Never leaked. Never had an issue with the bite valves at all. I think I've got .... 4-5? They must have changed the design. That's a bummer.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Verman posted:

Weird, my platypus stuff has all been great. Never leaked. Never had an issue with the bite valves at all. I think I've got .... 4-5? They must have changed the design. That's a bummer.

Same. Any chance it was a manufacturing defect? Maybe contact platypus and see if they’ll send you a replacement.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

armorer posted:

Yeah that's the most straightforward way they could really. Cart abandonment emails are super annoying as well and something that makes me pretty much immediately write off a web commerce site. I didn't add anything to my cart here even though, I literally just clicked the link and then clicked through the sandal pics. I immediately unsubscribed, and if I get any other emails from them I'll add a filter to send them to hell.

How strong is your ad-blocker game?

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time
I was ordering a few camp kitchen bits online, when the site pulled up a bunch of "recommendations" for me. One of them was a Benchmade Bugout with the CF handle. I remembered a few pages back somebody had posted good things about them. And since I hate money, I decided to get one.

Got it yesterday and I am quite sure THIS is the knife that I will cut my hand open with. We are heading out next week for a short overnight, so it will get the first field test cutting apples in the wilderness.

Edit: And there it is. 9 minutes later I have just nicked my palm.

Cat Ass Trophy fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Feb 26, 2022

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I managed to shave off most of a fingernail trying to core an apple over the summer, it twisted in my hand as I was cutting and oops, goodbye nail.

So can confirm, apples and knives are a good test of your skills.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Brother Tadger posted:

Same. Any chance it was a manufacturing defect? Maybe contact platypus and see if they’ll send you a replacement.

I can't tell, it just seems like the tube is slightly too wide at the bite-valve end, the plug end is fine. Maybe it wasn't heat treated or something? I'll probably just find some kind of clamp and glue for a DIY fix, it's not a huge deal and could be a lot worse, it's just disappointing after the last bladder was just about :perfect:

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Looking for boot recs friends. Heavier guy with high arches (I wear a treadlabs extra high for support) and borderline-wide feet.

I have a pair of oboz that are maybe 85% on fit and are rough to do distance in (as all the padding seemed to be in the insole that I ditched for more arch support) and a pair of vasque that are way too constrictive in the toe box but have a pleasant ride. Most of my miles last year were actually in altra lone peak hikers which fit perfectly but aren’t sturdy, supportive, or waterproof.

Use case is hiking and hunting in the northeast above freezing temps. Some water repellency is a must but I don’t need goretex or insulation, have rubber boots for real cold n wet. Ankle support would be preferable especially since hunting is all off trail.

My friends who do way more miles than me like Salomon, not sure if they have the fit I need though.

Edit:
Either of these look like they might fit the bill but I def wanna hear ywhat you guys think
https://www.lowaboots.com/mens/backpacking/camino-gtx-dark-gray-black
https://www.lowaboots.com/mens/backpacking-mountain-hunting/tibet-gtx-sepia-black

the yeti fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Feb 27, 2022

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

I'm a heavy guy with high arches and I pronate a bit.

My vasque boots are just the same as yours, feel great except the toebox.

I'd advise against the Salomon's for off trail. I like them for fastpacking but they seem to put a lot of stress on my arches on uneven ground because the soles are pretty flexible, and they also dont cushion well.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

They're heavy and slow drying by todays standards, but have you tried Merril Moabs? Ive had several pairs, plenty room in the toebox, for me at least.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

BaseballPCHiker posted:

They're heavy and slow drying by todays standards, but have you tried Merril Moabs? Ive had several pairs, plenty room in the toebox, for me at least.

I haven't! heard good things about Merril in general though.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I love Merrells. I know they’re not as good as more expensive shoes to some people but they fit my feet better than anything I’ve tried. I can do 20 mile hikes in them and not have my ankles and feet be a giant mess the next day.

As for wear, in my experience the padding and tread start going first and I’ve never had a pair outright fail or break apart. They just slowly get more uncomfortable as their life wears out.

Currently on pair… 5?

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Same, I've put hundreds on miles on my Merrils. I do wish they lasted longer but they have always been pretty good with little to no break in period

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I think I've had like 4 pairs over the years haha. They've largely been replaced by my Danner Mountain Lights that I can get resoled now, but every 3-4 years I remember them, try them again, and love them to death when they wear out again.

Just bought a Firebox Nano stove! Excited to have a little twig stove to play around with. Doubt I ever use it on backpacking trips to the boundary waters but you never know I guess.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

the yeti posted:

I have a pair of oboz that are maybe 85% on fit and are rough to do distance in (as all the padding seemed to be in the insole that I ditched for more arch support)

I'm probably going back to Oboz. Just what felt best on my feet (kind of wide). I'm on my second pair of Danners in a year, the stitching keeps going. So they're off as soon as I can replace them.

Vasques felt constructive, as do modern Solomons. I tried Merrill and they just never clicked with me. Before my Oboz I had some Asolo years ago that fit great, you might check them out. They quit making the model I liked and the new version I tried didn't feel right soni tried the Oboz. I liked my Asolos so much I bought 3 pairs and kept them in the closet, wore them all down to the nubs.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
I like Oboz. They're fugly, but they're comfy.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Oboz always seemed very rugged for a hiking boot. Lots of rubber on/around the toes etc. Good soles. They might be a little heavy but the people who like them seem to love them.

Merrel moabs are great but they're not incredibly rugged. They're insanely comfortable right away for a boot, so long as it fits your foot. If you have feet with specific needs, I would recommend going somewhere that you can try several things on. Or order a bunch of boots and return the ones that don't work for you. It's a bit of a hassle but if you live somewhere that's not by an rei or similar outdoor store, it's hard to tell from ordering online.

My Salomon quest4gtx seem more roomy than my merrels ever did, but I've also got a pretty standard/narrow foot.

If a high arch is your issue, definitely look into custom foot beds. Most insurance plans might even cover them under an HSA/FSA.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Did anyone else see this? It came out of the blue on a marketing email REI sent today:

I typically associate “big changes” to a well-loved program with bad things but I guess we’ll see.

Though I guess if they :airquote: have to :airquote: gut it to give their employees a living wage then I’d rather they do that.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

They struggled hard through the pandemic so my pessimistic rear end is assuming that any changes they make will be attacking the dividends and dressing it up as some hot new thing like loyalty points or whatever. Or a paid tier of some kind.

Either way it's going to be rigged to get their income back up.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

My rear end-pull guess based on nothing is that they'll introduce a yearly membership fee and increase the dividend percentage to say 15% to make it seem better.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

xzzy posted:

They struggled hard through the pandemic so my pessimistic rear end is assuming that any changes they make will be attacking the dividends and dressing it up as some hot new thing like loyalty points or whatever. Or a paid tier of some kind.

Either way it's going to be rigged to get their income back up.

I thought the outdoor industry as a whole really did well during the pandemic? I would've thought they made money hand over fist.

My hope is they back away from their anti-union stance and actually start paying well and providing decent benefits.

EDIT: Man I dont know why this fascinated me so much.

Current speculation is a change in the dividend to a reward, so no option to cash out like you use to be able to, but maybe they got rid of that option already in 2020? The dividend is now called a "reward". That part isnt quite clear to me, and also a focus on more "REI exclusives" for some upcoming gear. Thats what I could find online in various places at least.

BaseballPCHiker fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Mar 1, 2022

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I thought the outdoor industry as a whole really did well during the pandemic? I would've thought they made money hand over fist.

They didn't make a profit in 2020 and they sent out no dividends that year as a result.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

support union businesses

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

REI probably didn't do so well because if you're not shopping retail and you look on the internet, you can find most of the poo poo they sell a looooot cheaper somewhere else. They basically sell everything for full MSRP

cerious
Aug 18, 2010

:dukedog:
Their return policy is nice though. I bought a bear can and it went on sale shortly after, so I returned it and bought it again on sale. I went hiking with a friend later and turns out he bought that same bear can from their garage sale section for even cheaper. I suppose that was an abusive example but I have made other returns for things I had real cause to replace and I didn't have any hassles.

If I buy an uberlite pad I'm going to buy it from REI just in case the thing ever pops. Half the pads I see in the return section always have complaints about deflations but I'm pretty sure those are just people who don't realize that they needed to top up their pads before they went to bed.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

It's nice to touch something before you buy it imo it's worth paying a bit more.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
We opted to cancel our membership, with a message that their anti Union stance was the reason why. No idea if it makes a difference to them, but it does to me.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

It looks like the changes are… some member-exclusive gear, free shipping, and discounts on shop services? You can also buy and trade used gear which is pretty nice.

Now let your employees unionize you fucks!!!

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Member is also $30 now instead of $20

That free shipping stuff is pretty good, it’s stopped me from a buying a few products from them because it was <$50

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Oh drat. Just got my REI dividend from last year. Buying ski boots and touring bindings really paid off. I have something like $125.

I guess I could use some new trail runners. We'll see if they have any worth buying this year.