Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The Ascendency Trilogy does have flashback chapters as well but they’re not bad. You get a foundational moment in teenage or early 20s Thrawn’s life and are spared an entire book about the character at that age.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Arquinsiel posted:

There are only like 50 or 60 works to get through, you'll get back to it eventually.

You'll never be the same though.

Oh, I'm already not the same.

Casimir Radon posted:

The Ascendency Trilogy does have flashback chapters as well but they’re not bad. You get a foundational moment in teenage or early 20s Thrawn’s life and are spared an entire book about the character at that age.

So the prequel trilogy to the prequel trilogy also has flashbacks? Do you get why I'm slightly annoyed that we keep moving backwards?

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

thrawn, age 2, studying winnie the pooh to understand how to defeat A.A. Milne

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Jazerus posted:

thrawn, age 2, studying winnie the pooh to understand how to defeat A.A. Milne

I said it before and I’ll say it again: I’d definitely read a short story about elementary school Thrawn defeating his enemies on the playground by luring them into a trap in the sandbox based on their finger paintings and use of glitter glue.

Alternatively, make it an animated show, only Thrawn is still voiced by Lars Mikkelsen completely unchanged.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Heh. Ordered the old Han Solo/Lando books from a used bookstore online for nostalgia purposes. They just arrived alongside a copy of Heart of Darkness that I didn't order. I can only assume this was a scathing judgement on the part of the seller, saying "Please, for the love of god, read some real literature."

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

feedmyleg posted:

Heh. Ordered the old Han Solo/Lando books from a used bookstore online for nostalgia purposes. They just arrived alongside a copy of Heart of Darkness that I didn't order. I can only assume this was a scathing judgement on the part of the seller, saying "Please, for the love of god, read some real literature."

Ha, holy poo poo.

Anyway, enjoy the Han/Lando books. Good old school fun, from what I remember, though it's been forever.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I found them in Forbidden Planet London a few years back and enjoyed the hell out of them. They're cheesy as gently caress but in a wholesome and comforting way.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I’ve been working through the Crispin Han Solo Trilogy and am on the second book. She wrote them so that the Daley books fit in and occur during her last book, so I’ll read those when I get to those points. It’s still a good series, but the style she wrote it in feels really YA-like almost 20 years after I read it the first time. It’s not bad but it does feel like it was dumbed down a bit for a middle school audience.

Not nearly as bad as Young Jedi Knights which is ostensibly for middle school age kids but written at a second grade level.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yeah I tried YJK recently because they were my favorite series when I was a kid. Really couldn't deal with how they were written, though.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

YJK really isn't readable if you're not a kid. It's not like Claudia Gray's "Young Adult" stuff that is actually for anyone. The YJK stuff really is straight up just for kids. Which is fine, that was its goal.

And yes, I know "Young Adult" != "Kid's", but you know what I mean.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

I never read the Lando books, were they any good? I know the author was a big libertarian dude, but don't know how much of that he put in the books.

The Daley Han Solo books are a lot of fun.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Lord Hydronium posted:

I know the author was a big libertarian dude, but don't know how much of that he put in the books.

L. Neil Smith posted:

My LucasFilm editor was horrified by The Probability Broach and I was ordered to keep politics out of the Lando books, but by the time they were through messing with me, burning up my time and imposing a lot of silly rules on me, I decided that I'd make the books as political as I could until the editors squeaked. That's why Lando is an anarchist and free trader.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

feedmyleg posted:

Immediately mail back a copy of SHATTERPOINT

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

thrawn527 posted:

YJK really isn't readable if you're not a kid. It's not like Claudia Gray's "Young Adult" stuff that is actually for anyone. The YJK stuff really is straight up just for kids. Which is fine, that was its goal.

And yes, I know "Young Adult" != "Kid's", but you know what I mean.
The thing about YJK is that it’s way under the reading level it’s supposed to be for. They’re supposed to be for middle schoolers but the writing is much closer to something for 2nd or 3rd grade which is about the point I read them. I gotta wonder how more dumbed down JJK is to my adult eyes.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I only ever read the first YJK book, and it was when I was 7 and had the flu for the first time in my life. The writing was pitched about perfect for that exact situation.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Lord Hydronium posted:

I never read the Lando books, were they any good? I know the author was a big libertarian dude, but don't know how much of that he put in the books.
Less than he appears to have thought. Lando is pretty much just Lando in the books.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
I haven't read them but I recall some discussion of a part where Lando finds out that the cargo he's carrying happens to be highly toxic to the biology of the planet where he was hoping to sell it, so he's not allowed to unload it there. So instead he dumps it into the planet's ecosystem because gently caress your regulations, statists.

That's hearsay of course, so if I am misremembering or whatever then I defer to people who have actually read the books.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
A running plotline is that some evil dude is using force magic to gently caress with Lando specifically. It's not really clear what exactly his deal is with regards to the Empire etc, but people do what he says as if he's Vader himself so Lando gets a lot of parking tickets and poo poo.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I've mentioned on here before that I used to listen to the Full of Sith podcast, but dropped it a few years ago when its quality really took a nosedive. Their response to Rise of Skywalker was essentially to convince themselves not only that they loved it but that any criticism of (post-Disney) Star Wars is illegitimate (something explicitly stated by one of the hosts) and the show basically devolved into sycophantic readings of Disney press releases. Which is a shame because early on I thought it had a really vibrant energy to it, and they have a 2015 episode with Stackpole and Salvatore on the creation of the New Jedi Order that is an excellent and unique look at the NJO's creation. And even to a cynical guy like me, their last few episodes going into TFA even infected me with a lot of fan excitement (and one of their cohosts at the time even ended up disliking TFA, which is so laughably far from their current two cohosts).

In any case, since dropping Full of Sith I hadn't really had any Star Wars related stuff in my feed, until I started listening to A More Civilized Age, which is four people watching The Clone Wars episodes. What really makes it for me is the four cohosts have a wide span of Star Wars interest. One of them has been a longtime fan and was deep in 90s EU; one of them has never seen it before this watch; and the other two are at various intermediary points. I find it makes for an interesting take on the show, especially as someone who was never really super into Clone Wars.

Anyways on a separate note, the embargo for the Star Wars hotel lifted and surprisingly the journalists who were given a free trip by Disney wrote a glowing review of it: https://www.thewrap.com/everything-to-do-at-star-wars-galactic-starcruiser-hotel/

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Chairman Capone posted:

Anyways on a separate note, the embargo for the Star Wars hotel lifted and surprisingly the journalists who were given a free trip by Disney wrote a glowing review of it: https://www.thewrap.com/everything-to-do-at-star-wars-galactic-starcruiser-hotel/

Yup, so get ready for some crazy poo poo to get posted online today. Like this:

https://twitter.com/drunk3po_joay/status/1497217987421605893

My favorite part, by far, is super smooth transition from the fancy FX lightsaber to the fighting lightsaber. She straight up stops, puts the first one down and picks the second one up. It's hilarious. They're gonna need to work on that one.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Feb 25, 2022

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

It's really funny that, as part of official continuity, Rey and Kylo meet up to fight on a luxury space hotel in between TLJ and TROS. As well as I guess meeting up in Galaxy's Edge. It's like all the various times that Anakin met Dooku again in between AOTC and ROTS.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

feedmyleg posted:

Yeah I tried YJK recently because they were my favorite series when I was a kid. Really couldn't deal with how they were written, though.

Revisiting those books is weird AF for me because my dumbass named myself after a main character

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Chairman Capone posted:

It's really funny that, as part of official continuity, Rey and Kylo meet up to fight on a luxury space hotel in between TLJ and TROS. As well as I guess meeting up in Galaxy's Edge. It's like all the various times that Anakin met Dooku again in between AOTC and ROTS.

Watching TCW jump through hoops to avoid having Anakin and Grievous meet was pretty funny.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

jivjov posted:

Revisiting those books is weird AF for me because my dumbass named myself after a main character

I mean, I think we can all agree, Lowbacca is a great choice for a name.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

TCW created the tactical droids because they realized they couldn’t have Dooku or Grievous showing up constantly. Then still show up a little too often.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
There were a couple of cool Seperatist commanders that showed up, like Admiral Trench, that gave it a bit more depth.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Chairman Capone posted:

In any case, since dropping Full of Sith I hadn't really had any Star Wars related stuff in my feed, until I started listening to A More Civilized Age, which is four people watching The Clone Wars episodes. What really makes it for me is the four cohosts have a wide span of Star Wars interest. One of them has been a longtime fan and was deep in 90s EU; one of them has never seen it before this watch; and the other two are at various intermediary points. I find it makes for an interesting take on the show, especially as someone who was never really super into Clone Wars.

I'll wholeheartedly second A More Civilized Age, it's been the podcast I look forward to the most basically since it started. Outside of some bonus episodes, it's exclusively about TCW show, but they can manage to get really into the weeds of the Republic's collapse in an episode where Jar Jar pretends to be a Jedi.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

https://twitter.com/JennyENicholson/status/1498146094865215493

Sorry, I know this isn't entirely book related, so if you want me to stop posting about this stuff here, I will. I just find it extremely entertaining.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

It is hilarious just from how much of a loving naked grift it is.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

thrawn527 posted:

https://twitter.com/JennyENicholson/status/1498146094865215493

Sorry, I know this isn't entirely book related, so if you want me to stop posting about this stuff here, I will. I just find it extremely entertaining.

Not at all, I'm loving seeing just how ridiculous and incompetent this whole project is.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I think any SW media is fair game in the thread. We just happen to examine it through the lens of 90s EU dorks.

In addition to how expensive this whole experience is it also looks incredibly cheap in promo material. Even if I were rich I’d skip it at this stage. Maybe if they fixed it, and they probably will since they’ve sunk so much money into it so far.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Apparently the new promo material is better, but I'm ignoring it because I'm way past the point of getting any money back. I'll let you all know if I had fun in a couple of weeks.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Arquinsiel posted:

Apparently the new promo material is better, but I'm ignoring it because I'm way past the point of getting any money back. I'll let you all know if I had fun in a couple of weeks.

Oh, absolutely please post a trip report. The more detailed the better. I'm fascinated by the whole thing. But not enough to actually go. And I live in Orlando, and have Disney annual passes for myself and my 5 year old daughter. I just can't justify spending that much money.

That isn't a judgement, btw. We all spend money on dumb/fun things. I've spent that amount several times over on the Star Wars mobile game Galaxy of Heroes. Which is partly why I can't justify staying at the Galactic Cruiser lol.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Feb 28, 2022

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I felt like a sucker for putting $15 into a Tomb Raider themed Temple Run clone.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

thrawn527 posted:

Oh, absolutely please post a trip report. The more detailed the better. I'm fascinated by the whole thing. But not enough to actually go. And I live in Orlando, and have Disney annual passes for myself and my 5 year old daughter. I just can't justify spending that much money.

That isn't a judgement, btw. We all spend money on dumb/fun things. I've spent that amount several times over on the Star Wars mobile game Galaxy of Heroes. Which is partly why I can't justify staying at the Galactic Cruiser lol.
I am in the relatively unique situation of having saved up a fuckton of money for a honeymoon and a house with my also a giant nerd wife, then moving country to where we don't want to buy a house. When you add it into the cost of the three week holiday we had planned since 2018 it's really not that much of a dent in the budget.

But also, like... I have that game open right now. You gotta kick that habit dude, it's not worth it.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Casimir Radon posted:

I felt like a sucker for putting $15 into a Tomb Raider themed Temple Run clone.
I know what game you’re talking about and it’s cool and good for a mobile game.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Arquinsiel posted:

I am in the relatively unique situation of having saved up a fuckton of money for a honeymoon and a house with my also a giant nerd wife, then moving country to where we don't want to buy a house. When you add it into the cost of the three week holiday we had planned since 2018 it's really not that much of a dent in the budget.

But also, like... I have that game open right now. You gotta kick that habit dude, it's not worth it.

If it helps, for the game, it's been over the course of about 6 years (I know it doesn't really help).

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I'm as salty as the next guy about cheese Geonosian Alpha based teams, but I've still not dropped any cash on the game to beat them.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Arquinsiel posted:

I'm as salty as the next guy about cheese Geonosian Alpha based teams, but I've still not dropped any cash on the game to beat them.

Hey HEY, I believe I started this whole thing by saying I wasn't judging...

Feels awfully judgy in here, suddenly.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Feb 28, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

thrawn527 posted:

If it helps, for the game, it's been over the course of about 6 years (I know it doesn't really help).

I had no idea how bad off I was with that game until I had to get a new phone right before I went on a seven-night cruise, so I basically detoxed from it for a week. Most aggressively addictive mobile game.

Arquinsiel posted:

Co-signing on a trip report! Come visit the Disney World for First Timers thread in A/T Travel and Tourism. I'm anxious to see a candid, real-person account of the experience.