Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

I like SwSh, but yeah, the constant cutscenes where nothing really happens are kind of obnoxious. The game advertises itself as open and full of stuff to explore but then everything is super linear. I was very :confused: when I got to the end and there was nothing else, no end-game cave or legendaries or anything... but I guess they moved all that to the DLC?

The characters are endearing and I like them, but I did get a little tired of like, the game underlining "okay hop has an inferiority complex and is always tagging along with you". Felt like the game REALLY wanted me to give a poo poo and I just did not. But maybe that's because I'm 29.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Characters I liked and wanted to succeed:
-Marnie
-Sonia
-Oleana

Characters who had bangin theme songs:
-Marnie
-Sonia
-Oleana

Pretty sure that's the entirety of both lists.

Pretty weak compared to something like Sun/Moon or whatever generation had Alder in it.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

I also found Leon and Raihan and Piers to be endearing, and even Bede grew on me, but it felt like the most interesting stuff was dropped as tidbits in their trainer cards or literally happened offscreen.

Stuff like Leon having a garbage sense of direction, or Raihan taking selfies. Or (spoilers if anyone cares at this point) Bede being scouted and intensely trained by a badass old lady to be a Fairy Type leader. Stuff I would've cared about and enjoyed a lot more than "Hop wants to be the best! Oops, Hop lost! Oops, Hop lost again! Oops, Hop keeps losing and feels kind of bad about it! Oops! Spoiler, he's never going to stop losing because you're the protagonist, not him!" Made me feel like I was standing in the way of his destined shounen journey and honestly I just felt bad wiping out his entire team with a 1-foot tall pile of cream. He checked every shounen trope of an underdog destined to make a great comeback, and then I just absolutely destroyed his rear end televised in front of millions without breaking a sweat. Maybe they were going for "epic rivalry" but... it didn't hit like that for me.

Again, maybe because I'm 29 years old and this game was made for kids. I am very aware I am not the target audience.

Nice-person rivals in Pokemon games were a mistake, except for Lillie who deserves everything.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

When was Lillie ever a rival? Was this an Ultra Sun/Moon addition?

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Larryb posted:

When was Lillie ever a rival? Was this an Ultra Sun/Moon addition?

I never played US/UM, I just always saw her as kind of the rival because she's, like, your age, spunky, travels a similar path, etc.

I actually haven't played Sun in forever and don't really remember if you HAD a rival.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Lillie is a "rival" in the sense that she's a friend who's along for the ride, like most rivals since Silver.

Your actual rival in Sun/Moon and the Ultra version was a kid named Hau who was also kind of forgettable, but he does have a cool little easter egg trait where you don't actually ever have to beat him; if you lose, he just says it was a good fight and you'll get him next time and the plot carries on. There's also Gladion I guess who is an anime tough guy complete with over-the-top poses.

Hop's actual arc is that his journey mirrors Sonia's, who was Leon's rival and never managed to beat him, and she eventually gave up on the gym circuit to become a pokémon researcher. After the championship tournament, he becomes her apprentice. It's not thrilling, but it's more of an arc than your rival usually gets.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Tiny Myers posted:

I also found Leon and Raihan and Piers to be endearing, and even Bede grew on me, but it felt like the most interesting stuff was dropped as tidbits in their trainer cards or literally happened offscreen.

Stuff like Leon having a garbage sense of direction, or Raihan taking selfies. Or (spoilers if anyone cares at this point) Bede being scouted and intensely trained by a badass old lady to be a Fairy Type leader. Stuff I would've cared about and enjoyed a lot more than "Hop wants to be the best! Oops, Hop lost! Oops, Hop lost again! Oops, Hop keeps losing and feels kind of bad about it! Oops! Spoiler, he's never going to stop losing because you're the protagonist, not him!" Made me feel like I was standing in the way of his destined shounen journey and honestly I just felt bad wiping out his entire team with a 1-foot tall pile of cream. He checked every shounen trope of an underdog destined to make a great comeback, and then I just absolutely destroyed his rear end televised in front of millions without breaking a sweat. Maybe they were going for "epic rivalry" but... it didn't hit like that for me.

Again, maybe because I'm 29 years old and this game was made for kids. I am very aware I am not the target audience.

Nice-person rivals in Pokemon games were a mistake, except for Lillie who deserves everything.

Ngl...Hop was one of the few characters in the game who I politely endured. Like I feel like i could've had an organic friendship with Marnie or Bede. Hop was...just kind of jammed down our collective throats. If he was more of a side character I think it would've been fine but genuinely I could give gently caress about him. I find it annoying when a game sets you up for these guilt trips when you push his face into the dirt but like...what's the alternative? Knee capping myself so he can go be mediocre?

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
FYI Nintendo seems to have stopped all commercial messages on western sites since the 23rd and has yet to confirm the Pokemon Presents.

The Japanese Pokemon accounts seem to still be active.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Come to think of it, do you ever get a chance to fight (or at least fight alongside) Lillie during Gen 7’s postgame out of curiosity (I know she’s an unlockable unit in Masters at least)?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
There's one battle somewhere in Ultra Sun/Moon where you fight alongside her, and her entire team is a single Clefairy. She can be unlocked as a partner in the Battle Area, where she'll have a full team, but I never really get around to messing with that stuff.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Hammerite posted:

Ok, I just caught Thundurus and wow, that was painful. I thought having to catch one of them in the ice level was bad. Having to do it on the back of the fish so that you can't crouch+creep is something else.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqBR8knRM2w

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

spinst posted:

Looking for a Johto Sneasel, Shieldon, Magnemite or Cranidos.

Can offer an Alpha Bastiodon or a shiny Beautifly?

Just caught a johto sneasel. is that beautifly still available?

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Hop's actual arc is that his journey mirrors Sonia's, who was Leon's rival and never managed to beat him, and she eventually gave up on the gym circuit to become a pokémon researcher. After the championship tournament, he becomes her apprentice. It's not thrilling, but it's more of an arc than your rival usually gets.
I'm glad that he has an arc, but the Pokemon researcher stuff sort of just felt shoehorned in at the end for me, personally. I don't remember any clues of him becoming something like that in the game, it's more like "gently caress, what do I do now? uhhhh I wanna be a researcher! Conveniently Sonia's assistant position is now open"

Like it felt more like the game was trying to make us feel less bad for crushing the poo poo out of Hop's dreams than giving him a meaningful arc.

I guess maybe it's my fault for wanting more indepth writing from Pokemon, but I feel like they've absolutely been capable of telling compelling stories in the past with stuff like Mystery Dungeon...

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Tiny Myers posted:

I'm glad that he has an arc, but the Pokemon researcher stuff sort of just felt shoehorned in at the end for me, personally. I don't remember any clues of him becoming something like that in the game, it's more like "gently caress, what do I do now? uhhhh I wanna be a researcher! Conveniently Sonia's assistant position is now open"

Like it felt more like the game was trying to make us feel less bad for crushing the poo poo out of Hop's dreams than giving him a meaningful arc.

I guess maybe it's my fault for wanting more indepth writing from Pokemon, but I feel like they've absolutely been capable of telling compelling stories in the past with stuff like Mystery Dungeon...

Oh they're perfectly capable. They just have this hard on for writing well meaning underdogs who ultimately go no where and have to learn to accept that nepotism only get you so far. I think I just remembered why I didn't feel bad about doing a tap dance on Hop's dreams; he from the start assumes he's going to win and you're just going to be a road bump he occasionally indulges on his journey to greatness. When it turn out it's the reverse his self esteem completely collapses. Sorry to say I didn't especially care what with the earlier patronizing even if it wasn't intentionally malicious.

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

May the sacred flame guide me... Or something like that.

Flopsy posted:

Oh they're perfectly capable. They just have this hard on for writing well meaning underdogs who ultimately go no where and have to learn to accept that nepotism only get you so far. I think I just remembered why I didn't feel bad about doing a tap dance on Hop's dreams; he from the start assumes he's going to win and you're just going to be a road bump he occasionally indulges on his journey to greatness. When it turn out it's the reverse his self esteem completely collapses. Sorry to say I didn't especially care what with the earlier patronizing even if it wasn't intentionally malicious.

Actually yeah this is like, the what, third time in a row that they did this? Serena/Calem from XY are the kid of some famous trainers according to people in Snowbelle, Hau is Hala's grandkid, and now Hop too :psyduck: Brendan/May was like it too in the remakes as well

Actually I guess even Barry has something vaguely similar going on though it was never really directed at you and only got spurred because he lost to Jupiter???

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Yeah...I kinda prefer Avery/Klara/Bede's outright derision over this "Hi friend! I really think you're totes beneath me but I'll make this quick kay? :) Friends forever!" poo poo. And I'm expected to feel bad afterwards? Uh how bout' no? Subtle contempt is still contempt.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
The final tournament should have included Leon and had Hop beat Leon in the semifinals

then you can fight Leon postgame

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I just started Sword and so far Hop feels like the party member who essentially is a stand-in for the voiceless player character in these kinds of jrpg's. They don't want to have the player character speak for you so they just put this other person beside you saying all the "Alright! I'm so excited about this adventure I'm on!" stuff while you smile next to them. Except he's also in your Rival role so you beat him up once in a while and he just smiles and keeps moving along.

In Arceus it's kind of that girl who hangs out with the professor but she shows up less and I don't remember her name

Tender Bender fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Feb 27, 2022

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also it’s weird that Galar is the only region we’ve seen besides Orre that doesn’t have an Elite 4 (though Alola literally invented theirs for the first time near the end of Gen 7)

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Shiny Sliggoo from an outbreak!! Not even farmed, just popped in there. Eeeeeee

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Flopsy posted:

Yeah...I kinda prefer Avery/Klara/Bede's outright derision over this "Hi friend! I really think you're totes beneath me but I'll make this quick kay? :) Friends forever!" poo poo. And I'm expected to feel bad afterwards? Uh how bout' no? Subtle contempt is still contempt.
Yeah, Bede felt way more endearing to me than Hop did. His final battle felt way more meaningful and satisfying because he'd had a good character arc that really went somewhere and wasn't crushed by your destroying him. I was really rooting for him.

And I'm not saying Hop didn't need to get knocked down a peg, but boy, after a while, it started to just feel... mean. The kid is only like, what, 11 years old? And you're best friends? Plus his obvious inferiority complex from being nonstop compared to his much cooler, more talented brother who is worldwide famous. It all just seems a bit sad.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Hop annoyed me because his animations were just like Hau's, and it kept putting me off. And because I always name my character Hopper.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Tiny Myers posted:

Yeah, Bede felt way more endearing to me than Hop did. His final battle felt way more meaningful and satisfying because he'd had a good character arc that really went somewhere and wasn't crushed by your destroying him. I was really rooting for him.

And I'm not saying Hop didn't need to get knocked down a peg, but boy, after a while, it started to just feel... mean. The kid is only like, what, 11 years old? And you're best friends? Plus his obvious inferiority complex from being nonstop compared to his much cooler, more talented brother who is worldwide famous. It all just seems a bit sad.

See this is where me being old comes into play and I just generally wouldn't hang out with a kid like that to begin with. It does get to a point where it feels sorta pitiful though. Its the "he's already dead!" meme for the latter half of the game.

HopperUK posted:

Hop annoyed me because his animations were just like Hau's, and it kept putting me off. And because I always name my character Hopper.

You're right and you should say it.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
They should have scaled up everyone pokemon to super high levels so that the player loses the tournament. Or fix the RNG or something.
A way to have a meaningful setback for the player, like against the villains because losing to Team Magma means there's no more ocean. But losing at the poke world-cup should just mean wait for next season.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Friendly rivals who smile as they get their rear end kicked are the best, because it means I'm Gary Oak/Silver going "Ha ha get wrecked nerd, smell ya later."

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
I'd like a more advanced rematch feature. Let me run through the gyms again but they're progressively using better teams. I know they've done stuff like it before, like facing a Hard Mode Elite 4 in BW.

Also I like the friend rivals, dickhead rivals are only satisfying the first couple times before you start sweeping them. After that it's just kind of pathetic that they still try. Bianca and Cheren were my faves: Bianca just has a really nice and touching story about finding herself and Cheren's story isn't held back by the fact that I keep beating his rear end.

Flytrap fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Feb 27, 2022

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

Flopsy posted:

Just caught a johto sneasel. is that beautifly still available?

Yes! Let me know when you are available. :)

spinst fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Feb 27, 2022

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

spinst posted:

Yes! Let me know when you are available. :)

Ready to go right now. You got a trade number?

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Is there a good place to get a bunch of potion materials? I am constantly empty on Leeks and I don't use that many potions, mostly just to keep my team topped off in space-time distortions. Maybe I just need to get gud and level up, but I feel like having a 30-40 level team is ok for where I'm at (just got water travel). It's just that going into the distortions, having to fight three pokemon at once usually leaves at least one pokemon (often two or three) half knocked out, so I want to use a few potions to try and capture the next trio, etc etc., and I feel like I'm always almost out of potions as a result.

e: In Arceus.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet

Xander B Coolridge posted:

SwSh has this problem too. I used my secondary profile to try a nuzlocke a few months ago and gave up trying to have any fun after about 40 minutes of not being allowed to play the drat game

I honestly don’t remember it being this bad when I played through Sun for the first time but I just got the the trainers school or whatever and it’s absurd. Whoever decided to make the cutscenes in this game unskippable is a monster.

I can’t remember if X/Y were as bad about this but I really wish I still had my old copy of Black 2 so I could just do nuzlock for that one. I’m guessing they’re just about impossible to find at a reasonable price these days.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Arcturas posted:

Is there a good place to get a bunch of potion materials? I am constantly empty on Leeks and I don't use that many potions, mostly just to keep my team topped off in space-time distortions. Maybe I just need to get gud and level up, but I feel like having a 30-40 level team is ok for where I'm at (just got water travel). It's just that going into the distortions, having to fight three pokemon at once usually leaves at least one pokemon (often two or three) half knocked out, so I want to use a few potions to try and capture the next trio, etc etc., and I feel like I'm always almost out of potions as a result.

if you don't mind the tedium you can just cram them full of berries between battles instead

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Hop's saddest moment was when after character development he puts his Wooloo back onto his team for the tower fight... and it just tries to ineffectually body slam a bunch of steel types.

Double kick is even in Wooloo's learn set but I guess someone doesn't know about type advantage. :smuggo:

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007

Bismack Billabongo posted:

I honestly don’t remember it being this bad when I played through Sun for the first time but I just got the the trainers school or whatever and it’s absurd. Whoever decided to make the cutscenes in this game unskippable is a monster.

I can’t remember if X/Y were as bad about this but I really wish I still had my old copy of Black 2 so I could just do nuzlock for that one. I’m guessing they’re just about impossible to find at a reasonable price these days.

I started replaying Ultra Sun again and my issue is just how long things take compared to the Switch games. Health bars going down, switching screens, menus, going between cut scenes and being able to play.

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011

Tiny Myers posted:

This was my reaction as well.

Crushing Hop in the semi-finals and then having the older brother who he idolizes praise you right in front of him was so hilariously mean spirited

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Avalerion posted:

Hop's saddest moment was when after character development he puts his Wooloo back onto his team for the tower fight... and it just tries to ineffectually body slam a bunch of steel types.

Double kick is even in Wooloo's learn set but I guess someone doesn't know about type advantage. :smuggo:

This is one of the funniest moments in Pokémon and I laughed so hard when I saw it. Here we are, at the end of the world and watching an interdimensional cosmic horror crawl itself out of the sky. We are engaging the horror, helped by two mythical wolfs who guard this land. I brought my Tyranitar, who is literally Godzilla.

Hop brought a sheep.

Honestly, I think the story would make a bit more sense if, after the above, you DON'T have to return and fight Leon. Just say the tournament is canceled and fight Leon in a more private setting, having him transfer his title of champion to you afterwards. Having the entire land in chaos because of dynamax energy before going back to use it for the equivalent of a football match seems a bit glib.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Sobatchja Morda posted:

This is one of the funniest moments in Pokémon and I laughed so hard when I saw it. Here we are, at the end of the world and watching an interdimensional cosmic horror crawl itself out of the sky. We are engaging the horror, helped by two mythical wolfs who guard this land. I brought my Tyranitar, who is literally Godzilla.

Hop brought a sheep.

Honestly, I think the story would make a bit more sense if, after the above, you DON'T have to return and fight Leon. Just say the tournament is canceled and fight Leon in a more private setting, having him transfer his title of champion to you afterwards. Having the entire land in chaos because of dynamax energy before going back to use it for the equivalent of a football match seems a bit glib.
I feel like having a crisis then immediately pretending like nothing happened just so big crowd-pleasing sports can happen was very realistic, though.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Avalerion posted:

The big story characters always comment mid-battle when you use a move that has type advantage, like you've just done something astounding that they've hardly ever seen before in their life. So I guess using type advantage is somehow very advanced stuff in-universe.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Your actual rival in Sun/Moon and the Ultra version was a kid named Hau who was also kind of forgettable,

How dare you

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Characters I liked and wanted to succeed:
-Marnie
-Sonia
-Oleana

Characters who had bangin theme songs:
-Marnie
-Sonia
-Oleana

Pretty sure that's the entirety of both lists.

Pretty weak compared to something like Sun/Moon or whatever generation had Alder in it.

No love for Piers, Hop, or Bede?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Arcturas posted:

Is there a good place to get a bunch of potion materials? I am constantly empty on Leeks and I don't use that many potions

If you don't mind spending money the Ginkgo Guild merchant by your house sells leeks at 100 or 200 pokedollary-doos each, along with pretty much all the berries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Arcturas posted:

Just spend a bit of time going around the Fieldlands, honestly, and grab every leek you see. You can do it from Wyrdeer, no need to stop. You'd be surprised how quick they build up if you just take a bit of time. Grab all the plants, hurl a pokemon at all the rocks. If you're trying to level a friendship evolution, then throw *that* pokemon at all the rocks. I'm drowning in potions.