Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Since apple gator doesn’t look like he’s reinforce the Fire starters are Chinese zodiac thing I’d like to voice my displeasure at that theory attempting to pass fire hedgehog/badger off as a rat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

How incredible would it be if you could do the gyms in any order and the leaders would have different rosters based on your progression
pure speculative dream but it seems like such a low hanging fruit and it would be so cool

The funny part is that Origins actually set up this being possible, when Red challenges Brock and Brock's like "This kid doesn't have any badges so I'll just use these two low level Pokemon," implying if Red was a more experienced trainer that Brock would've used stronger ones.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I propose that the gator is both an apple and a pepper.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I think open world just relates to their statement about the routes and towns blending together with no transition. I doubt it will be anything other than a linear story.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I want to be able to run a gym postgame and have it be super deep gameplay

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Since apple gator doesn’t look like he’s reinforce the Fire starters are Chinese zodiac thing I’d like to voice my displeasure at that theory attempting to pass fire hedgehog/badger off as a rat

The pokedex calls cyndaquil a mouse. Gator will loses its limbs and turn into a snake like Snivy did. :colbert:

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Electric Phantasm posted:

I propose that the gator is both an apple and a pepper.

Apple peppers are apparently a real thing, but they are apple in name only.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Gruckles posted:

The pokedex calls cyndaquil a mouse.

By this logic Butterfree is a caterpillar, Huntail is a clam, and Gyarados is a carp.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

I mean, clearly the fire type is based off a spicy pepper not a sweet apple, but it is funny that you could say it looks like an apple.

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011
I don't know any peppers whose seeds are placed like that

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

They just did an apple dragon
kinda feels like that'd be a silly well to go back to already

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Ugh, imagine wanting a linear series to turn into open world schlock in 2022. If this game doesn't at least have like, an approximation of routes with trainers to battle then this is gonna be a hard pass for me regardless of how good the new starters look.

Between Arceus and Gen 9's official site talking about how everyone's favorite part of Pokemon is battling wild pokemon I'm really worried about the direction of this series. Like ,I actively avoid fighting wild Pokemon ever again after I've caught the six I'm going to use in a given playthrough

Sleeping Sigma
Dec 28, 2012
I'm sorry, but I just cannot get over how much I dislike these human models. It's just such a large blemish on an otherwise really hype announcement for me.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Nihilarian posted:

People keep saying these are the best starters in forever like gen 7 doesn't exist

To be fair, I think it's actually the second-best looking crop of the series, and already a massive step up from gen 8 being all duds.

That's the other set of a starters that had a cat, just sayin

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

i don't know that the starter theories are strict design goals. The head honcho at gamefreak probably didn't call one unlucky designer to his office, point at Typhlosion and scream "where's my RAT". But I could believe they sat down and said "foxes are like dogs, right?"

I forget, was there ever a water starter theory?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Nihilarian posted:

i don't know that the starter theories are strict design goals. The head honcho at gamefreak probably didn't call one unlucky designer to his office, point at Typhlosion and scream "where's my RAT". But I could believe they sat down and said "foxes are like dogs, right?"

Yeah the "water starters are always the best one" theory.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Gen 7 first evo starters are great, but don't hold up after evolution. Gen 4 tho? Nothing has dethroned them.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Gruckles posted:

The pokedex calls cyndaquil a mouse. Gator will loses its limbs and turn into a snake like Snivy did. :colbert:

I kinda hope this is the case, actually. I’d love to see it become a rattlesnake with a hot pepper rattle.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Scrap Dragon posted:

Ugh, imagine wanting a linear series to turn into open world schlock in 2022. If this game doesn't at least have like, an approximation of routes with trainers to battle then this is gonna be a hard pass for me regardless of how good the new starters look.

Between Arceus and Gen 9's official site talking about how everyone's favorite part of Pokemon is battling wild pokemon I'm really worried about the direction of this series. Like ,I actively avoid fighting wild Pokemon ever again after I've caught the six I'm going to use in a given playthrough

I think they're just iterating through the different inherent aspects of the series these last few games. Pokemon is collecting and battling.
I don't think anyone enjoyed bashing against the RNG to find or catch things, so have them on the map and bonk'em on the back of the head with a good throw and boom, catching is fun. That and the raids have been their attempts to make the collecting aspect addictive again.

Now they need to turn their attention to the battling/scenario and figure out how to make that work. There is no fun in stomping a string of low-level trainers who have 1 pokemon while you have 6. I don't know what the fun next-gen version of that ends up being but hopefully they figure it out. I think the wild pokemon attacking the trainer rather than just starting a battle is a start of something towards making the fights meaningful but they have a ways to go still if they want it to feel like a more natural part of the progression. Maybe it's adding back in some pre-gym trainer fights or a qualifier system or something that actually pits you against somewhat skilled trainers before you fight the leaders, and maybe the end game needs a more fleshed out battle-tower situation... I dunno. It's just time for some reinvention, and it seems like they're finally starting to feel the limitations of the series design

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Gen 4 had the fire monkey which was the worst fire starter until the soccer bunny. The other two were great, but that's still batting two outta three.

Nihilarian posted:

There's not really an interesting pattern, but they have all been semi-aquatic animals, like swimming reptiles and amphibians and waterfowl, rather than fully aquatic animals like fish or cetaceans, or entirely non-aquatic animals like iunno a horse or something. Always something that lives in or near water but also walks on land.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

https://twitter.com/bedupolker/status/1497967438629154822

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Xander B Coolridge posted:

I don't know any peppers whose seeds are placed like that

I don't think this logic holds up considering Bounsweet has a white bottom half, and mangosteens don't actually have that unless you cut them open. That doesn't make Bounsweet based on some other fruit just because it doesn't adhere to how real life mangosteens are.

Peppercroc is a hot pepper.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

What if the little apple face is supposed to be more reminiscent of a skull, like the kind you might see on a bottle of hot sauce? That could be cool.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Water starter is gonna become a sailor and everyone is gonna call it Donald

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

I'm imagining the cat turning into a lion but a flower for it's mane.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

indigi posted:

I want to be able to run a gym postgame and have it be super deep gameplay

Pokemon Gym Manager: You're the leader and you recruit trainers and use winnings from battles with challengers to buy new traps and puzzles to make your gym harder to beat. Your friends' PCs can battle your gym or you can trade trainers with each other to get better pokemon or items. SwSh mentioned "minor leagues" in Galar, so perhaps you could start as a minor league leader and work your way up to being the top gym leader in the region.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
it's flat gently caress friday at last

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

HackensackBackpack posted:

Pokemon Gym Manager: You're the leader and you recruit trainers and use winnings from battles with challengers to buy new traps and puzzles to make your gym harder to beat. Your friends' PCs can battle your gym or you can trade trainers with each other to get better pokemon or items. SwSh mentioned "minor leagues" in Galar, so perhaps you could start as a minor league leader and work your way up to being the top gym leader in the region.

oooh like a happy home academy/evil genius
"We need 3 trainers with 3 water type pokemon each" so you go and catch and train up the pokemon and then you watch tower defense style as people solve your puzzles and make their way to you
that could be fun

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Xelkelvos posted:

Water starter is gonna become a sailor and everyone is gonna call it Donald

Part 4 Josuke gonna evolve into Part 8 Josuke.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
https://twitter.com/o_ju_o/status/1497949278924279808

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

I spent five minutes on my concept art of "Fuecoco, but I like him now". Now that's a croc I can get behind.

Nihilarian posted:

There's "water starters are amphibious animals, never fish" which is pretty solid and "water starters are weapons", which has a couple of fair ones (Blastoise = cannon, Empoleon = trident, Samurott = katana, Greninja = shuriken, Inteleon = gun) and then a bunch that are massive stretches (Feraligatr = cestus because it has fists I guess, Swampert = war fan because of its tail fin, Primarina = mace because its tail kind of looks like a mace)

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

I had the idea for this game ages ago.

You start the game by getting a letter from a Pokémon professor in a new region who has heard of your skills as a trainer and asks you to take up the mantle as the gym leader in his town. You get to fix up and build out a dilapidated old gym and decorate a little home for yourself. But in order to earn the respect of the other gym leaders, you need to go beat them and acquire trainers for your own gym, who will then use whatever type of Pokémon you choose.

You can set your own gym team, design your own badge and upload your gym for other players to try to beat. Kind of like Mario Maker, but for Pokémon.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Always wanted something like this as a postgame. It’d be even cooler if main characters from previous games could also challenge you.

Witeldram
Feb 22, 2022

I'm not ready to see all the PokéTubers butcher the pronunciation of all these new starters lol

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Procrastine posted:

I spent five minutes on my concept art of "Fuecoco, but I like him now". Now that's a croc I can get behind.

You removed 90% of its character and unique design. Instead of looking like a pokemon, it's like "oh, chibi crocodile"

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Sleeping Sigma posted:

I'm sorry, but I just cannot get over how much I dislike these human models. It's just such a large blemish on an otherwise really hype announcement for me.

Did they remove the artist who does the character designs for pokemon trainers or something? The eyes are...off...

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I was hungry for more pokemon after PLA so I got Sword a few days ago and shelled out for the DLC last night, I should be chafing at paying $90 for the game people seem lukewarm on hours before the successor was announced but I guess I have like 9 months to enjoy this one

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
This better be the Gen we get a loving gun.

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Scholtz posted:

You removed 90% of its character and unique design. Instead of looking like a pokemon, it's like "oh, chibi crocodile"

What character is in the original that isn't in this one? Legitimately baffled right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet

This is my biggest fear. My kid was watching the zeraora movie today and all I could do was shake my head. Lucario ruined everything