Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

true.spoon posted:

To some degree I do think that the reason China was blindsided, even after receiving US intelligence, is that the CCP does fundamentally not believe in good faith diplomacy (Russia is similar in that regard). Everything is always seen as a big power game, where you grab as much as you can and to that end you constantly hide your motives to trick the other side (not that the the West never uses such tactics but this is about fundamental assumptions).

I think that's one element, but the thing that caught my eye was the implication/assumption in the article that the CCP was projecting onto Russia it's own military doctrine (win without fighting) and assumed that was what Russia was doing. Obviously it's much harder to tell what the policy community in China actually thinks or is saying behind closed doors within government, but the implication that China has no Michael Kofman or Fiona Hill or any of the other quite serious Russia watchers in the West who were sounding alarm bells feels odd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

true.spoon posted:

Crosspost from the War thread:

To some degree I do think that the reason China was blindsided, even after receiving US intelligence, is that the CCP does fundamentally not believe in good faith diplomacy (Russia is similar in that regard). Everything is always seen as a big power game, where you grab as much as you can and to that end you constantly hide your motives to trick the other side (not that the the West never uses such tactics but this is about fundamental assumptions).

...so, the entirely sensible and realistic worldview?

Gee, you'd wonder why China doesn't consider Western nations to be paragons of acting in good faith, generous and trustworthy.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
I'm really glad the world united to economically nuke Russia, because it has got to be making China nervous about their own eventual plans to try to annex Taiwan. I just wish we lent support to the latter now, as opposed to waiting until after the invasion happens.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
As with Ukraine in much of the late 2000s/early 2010s, it was questionable how much they really wanted to align with the West in the long term. Only too imaginable to postulate a series of corrupt or mediocre leaderships discrediting Europhilia instead of reinforcing it. Putin has changed all that, but of course nobody saw that coming

Ultimately it is on Taiwan to make a decisive break and bear the fallout; nobody else will do it for them. Ambiguity as ambiguous does.

It may be just a few elections down the road for Taiwan - once-untouchable third rails can evaporate surprisingly quickly past critical electoral thresholds - but point is, those have to happen first.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

I'm really glad the world united to economically nuke Russia, because it has got to be making China nervous about their own eventual plans to try to annex Taiwan. I just wish we lent support to the latter now, as opposed to waiting until after the invasion happens.

Oh yeah. I imagine the alacrity with which Europe has united in opposition to Russia and the speed at which incredibly harsh sanctions have ramped up have got to have surprised some of the CCP planners. Everybody in East Asia is nervous as gently caress about Chinese imperial ambition, and I imagine they would unite against China just as quickly.

My, how things can change in a day.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

tractor fanatic posted:

I don't think Falun Gong ever really saw any popular support in the US. They saw their big wave back in the early 2000s when China/US relations were much warmer and as far as I knew people who'd heard about them knew them as a weird cult that China didn't like. They reentered the news in recent years since they spread their creepy tendrils across far right US media, but I never really saw like, liberals support them.

Actually their newspaper the Epoch Times has a considerable readership in the United States, especially digitally

Their youtube channel "China Uncensored" also appears to have 1.7 million subscribers which is pretty big, and a considerable portion of that would have to be Americans

If you want an example of something that even liberals accept, they're all over China Tribunal, which the liberal media cites for evidence that China is harvesting Falun Gong organs. Pretty much every organ harvesting claim that floats in the western media can be traced back to the falun gong

Red and Black fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Mar 1, 2022

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug

Red and Black posted:

Actually their newspaper the Epoch Times has a considerable readership in the United States, especially digitally

Their youtube channel "China Uncensored" also appears to have 1.7 million subscribers which is pretty big, and a considerable portion of that would have to be Americans

If you want an example of something that even liberals accept, they're all over China Tribunal, which the liberal media cites for evidence that China is harvesting Falun Gong organs. Pretty much every organ harvesting claim that floats in the western media can be traced back to the falun gong

Those are what I'm referring to as far right US media.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
https://twitter.com/vshih2/status/1498751082683502595

a 10,000 word love letter to the Shanghai Communique, ping-pong diplomacy, etc. is weirdly timed re: current events, but I suppose it's the anniversary

quote:

两个世界大国,有什么样的纠结,不能够在这样的相视一笑中得到化解呢?

作为两个世界大国,中美能否处理好彼此关系,攸关世界前途命运,是两国必须回答好的世纪之问。中美携手前行,是两国人民之福,也是世界人民之幸。

我们有一千条理由把中美关系搞好,世界人民的期待,就是一条重要的理由。

quote:

What kind of entanglement does the two world powers have that cannot be resolved by looking at each other and smiling?

As two major powers in the world, whether China and the United States can handle each other's relations well has a bearing on the future and destiny of the world. It is a question of the century that must be answered by the two countries. It is the blessing of the two peoples and the people of the world that China and the United States move forward hand in hand.

We have a thousand reasons to improve Sino-US relations, and the expectations of the people of the world are an important reason.

(don't get me wrong, Chinese media is explicitly still saying that the ...ongoing incident is caused by the United States)

Morton Salt Grrl
Sep 2, 2011

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
FRESH BLOOD

May their memory be a justification for genocide
I do wonder how Xi and co really feel about Russia atm. Alongside Russia, China has been the other major beneficiary of a pretty naïve European foreign policy consensus (Germany's 'engagement through trade' policy etc.). In the space of a week Russia has burned that, and there's a major risk to China that European nations will stop forgiving China's transgressions so easily as a result.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I think it's much less direct support of them and more like they have been the source of a lot of information about things like chinese prison abuse and organ harvesting, and things like chinese monitoring and disappearances and are a big source of how the west hears about these things.

But they have an unfortunate habit of muddling things by mixing real information with sensational stories for propaganda. Like the organ harvest stuff is undoubtedly real, but the numbers they give don't match up well with the scale china consumes transplant drugs, and the prison torture and bad conditions are clearly real but they also tend towards pretty fantastical specific stories, so it's hard to know what they are saying is real and what isn't.

Like they are both the reason why we know things about the chinese prison system, but also publish a newspaper that says Hilary clinton is a communist spy and that china made coronavirus. Like everything is true if it's bad about china, but they are also where we hear about a lot of the bad stuff in china. So it's hard to know what exactly is real and a lot of the information, real and false gets around.

Correct. A lot of bad china stories have their roots in Falun Gong propaganda. Remember the Three Gorges Dam hysteria last year? Tofu infrastructure? More recently the whole Covid lab theory was heavily pushed and often sourced from the Falun Gong.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
The Epoch Times is consistently the most batshit thing that has pipelining attempts in my feed. At first I thought it was because I wrote some critical poo poo about Shen Yun in my social media and there was a some kind of marketing link, but as time goes on I think there's an ethnicity targeting effort.

Like I don't even get Ben Shapiro or PragerU pipelining, and I saw Rogan maybe once.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

GlassEye-Boy posted:

Correct. A lot of bad china stories have their roots in Falun Gong propaganda. Remember the Three Gorges Dam hysteria last year? Tofu infrastructure? More recently the whole Covid lab theory was heavily pushed and often sourced from the Falun Gong.

Yeah, they have such a weird mix of being a legitimately oppressed group that also has a bizarrely loose definition of reality. Like China really does donate executed prisoners organs, that is a real and actual difficult ethical issue, but Falun Gong made up a whole thing about a concentration camp in a specific public hospital holding thousands of prisoners and a bunch of Japanese reporters went and looked and it was ping pong pizza levels of “there is definitely not a concentration camp in this extremely normal regular hospital”.

Like they are clearly a group that actually gets brutalized and has actual stories but they seem to love weird fantastical stuff better when talking about any of it. Like they have a story about a mother and baby tortured by being held upside down that seems like probably an actual story, but they keep rereleasing the story as happening in different places always with more additional more dramatic and unlikely sounding new parts. Like a hit story that gets sequels. In a way they must know people know they are making it up, but seem to not know that hurts the original story that was actually real.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Also every video on youtube hides how absurdly bonkers shen yun shows are

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Also every video on youtube hides how absurdly bonkers shen yun shows are

I'm morbidly curious now, since all I know about the shows are memes about the ubiquity of their advertising. What exactly do you mean by "bonkers?"

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

lightrook posted:

I'm morbidly curious now, since all I know about the shows are memes about the ubiquity of their advertising. What exactly do you mean by "bonkers?"

Evil Karl Marx cloud monster

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

lightrook posted:

Stepping Into the Uncanny, Unsettling World of Shen Yun

quote:

I felt my forehead. The dances continued, sleeves swirling, skirts rippling. A man came onstage to sing a song in Chinese, which was translated on the screen behind him. “We follow Dafa, the Great Way,” he began, singing about a Creator who saved mankind and made the world anew. “Atheism and evolution are deadly ideas. Modern trends destroy what makes us human,” he sang. At the end of the song, the row of older white people sitting behind me clapped fervently. In the final dance number, a group of Falun Dafa followers, who wore blue and yellow and clutched books of religious teachings, battled for space in a public square with corrupt youth. (Their corruption was evident because they were wearing black, looking at their cell phones, and, in the case of two men, holding hands.) Chairman Mao appeared, and the sky turned black; the city in the digital backdrop was obliterated by an earthquake, then finished off by a Communist tsunami. A red hammer and sickle glowed in the center of the wave. Dazed, I rubbed my eyes and saw a huge, bearded face disappearing in the water.

“Was that . . . ?” I said to my brother, wondering if I needed to go to the hospital.

“Karl Marx?” he said. “Yeah, I think that was a tsunami with the face of Karl Marx.”

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Red and Black posted:

Organ harvesting comes from calling hospitals and the average time it takes to get said organ.

You dont need any dumb falong gong poo poo to look at the chinese organ market and figure out something isnt right

Despera fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Mar 2, 2022

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

OK I never actually was curious about seeing a Shen Yun show until now. That sounds delightful.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

How are u posted:

OK I never actually was curious about seeing a Shen Yun show until now. That sounds delightful.

I got a shen yun leaflet ad last week (in the UK).

Not crazy enough to go though.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

How are u posted:

It’s too long and boring. It’s like 80% repetitive dull parts, 15% parts that are actually cool dancing and like 5% moments of extremely weird fever dream. I really wish there was a good video condensing down to the good parts, it’s too padded to be worth seeing in person but the good parts are wild. (Evil gay teens)

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

GlassEye-Boy posted:

:laffo:

This is literally the Chinese version of Erdoğan's "all bad stories about Turkey are actually propaganda invented and spread by Fethullah Gülen and his cultists" and it's just as much of a no-brainer — as in, the only people who believe it are those with no brain.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I went to a Shen Yun show years ago because I thought "Chinese ballet? Sounds worth a look."

Flipping through the program I realized it was sponsored by the Falun Gong, but they didn't do the Evil Karl Marx monster at the show I saw. I mean there was a flying Buddha-looking statue that knocked over some Chinese riot cops but I still feel profoundly ripped off.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

How are u posted:

You know when shows do parodies of dance routines or interpretive dance that's so over the top you could never understand it as anything but satire? Shen Yun does that where soon enough they have dancers holding up Ben Garrisonesque placards clearly labeling what they are referencing so you cannot possibly miss that the point of this part of it is Homosexuality Is A Cancer

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Slow News Day posted:

:laffo:

This is literally the Chinese version of Erdoğan's "all bad stories about Turkey are actually propaganda invented and spread by Fethullah Gülen and his cultists" and it's just as much of a no-brainer — as in, the only people who believe it are those with no brain.

It’s literally right out in the open, you don’t even have to do any digging. But maybe that requires too much brain power.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's basically Chinese Qanon. For some reason the Chinese government doesn't like these guys? Weird.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's basically Chinese Qanon. For some reason the Chinese government doesn't like these guys? Weird.

not sure that even qanon deserves to have their organs harvested

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I went to a Shen Yun show years ago because I thought "Chinese ballet? Sounds worth a look."

Flipping through the program I realized it was sponsored by the Falun Gong, but they didn't do the Evil Karl Marx monster at the show I saw. I mean there was a flying Buddha-looking statue that knocked over some Chinese riot cops but I still feel profoundly ripped off.

Apparently they workshop it for certain regions;

quote:

The vocal numbers, though, were different from the Houston production—instead of the song about atheism and evolution, a soprano in an evening gown sang a song that began, “Many today are far from the warmth of home / Separated by great distances from those they love.” It seemed likely that this was Shen Yun’s way of molding the production to local tastes; the other vocal number bemoaned the busyness of modern life.

Similarly, a lot of past Shen Yun advertisement has danced around the concept, but now the climate in the US is such that "See China Before Communism" can be a draw in-of itself, without alienating too many people.

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

Well then, that's a little terrifying. Thanks for the help!

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

Despera posted:

Organ harvesting comes from calling hospitals and the average time it takes to get said organ.

You dont need any dumb falong gong poo poo to look at the chinese organ market and figure out something isnt right

Just so happens that all such efforts at accounting end up being connected to Falun Gong. Curious, that

Red and Black fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Mar 2, 2022

Horatius Bonar
Sep 8, 2011

Red and Black posted:

Just so happens that all such efforts at accounting end up being connected to Falun Gong. Curious, that

http://www.transplant-observatory.org/summary/

This is a Falun gong front?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

is that saying that china does fewer organ transplants than the world average?

Horatius Bonar
Sep 8, 2011

fart simpson posted:

is that saying that china does fewer organ transplants than the world average?

That is what it seems.

But then who knows, smarter people than me have doubts about the data.

https://bmcmedethics.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12910-019-0406-6

quote:

COTRS data conforms almost precisely to a mathematical formula (which first appeared to be a general quadratic, but with further confirmatory data was discovered to be a simpler one-parameter quadratic) while Central Red Cross data mirrors it, albeit imperfectly. The analysis of both datasets suggests human-directed data manufacture and manipulation. Contradictory, implausible, or anomalous data artefacts were found in five provincial datasets, suggesting that these data may have been manipulated to enforce conformity with central quotas. A number of the distinctive features of China’s current organ procurement and allocation system are discussed, including apparent misclassification of nonvoluntary donors as voluntary.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

That's genuinely the first time I've ever seen someone argue that data is fake because it fits a polynomial curve

And wow the Red Cross data mirrors it? How unexpected given they're measuring the same thing

Horatius Bonar
Sep 8, 2011

Red and Black posted:

That's genuinely the first time I've ever seen someone argue that data is fake because it fits a polynomial curve

And wow the Red Cross data mirrors it? How unexpected given they're measuring the same thing

Yeah I guess Falun gong doesn't have the best data scientists.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

Horatius Bonar posted:

Yeah I guess Falun gong doesn't have the best data scientists.

Yeah I guess not

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I feel like this is why Falun gong is so frustrating, they make a bunch of claims, where some are real and some aren't in a weird gish gallop.

Like what are people debating is or isn't true? That organs from executed prisoners is Chinese policy? it is. That Falun Gong members have been sentenced to death? some have. or are people asking if the weird fantastical extremely high numbers that don't even make sense might be real? or the claims of a concentration camp located in a very normal public place that was easily debunked by someone looking and seeing it was physically impossible to be there and also definitely not there.

Like Falun gong seems to so frequently throw out like 900 claims that range from absolutely true, to actual news, to clearly made up nonsense, nonstop, and that seems so weird, like just say the real parts. Why weaken the case by also saying super fake things too?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I heard that China was harvesting the adrenochrome of children in secret underground tunnels.

Horatius Bonar
Sep 8, 2011

I mean, even best case scenario, China was harvesting organs from dead prisoners until 2015. Which leaves us with the knowledge that they were harvesting organs until then. This covers the prime years of Falun gong activity and imprisonment on the mainland. Unless you're sitting on data that every Falun gong member who died in prison made it out with all their organs I'm not sure what needs to be said.

http://m.xinhuanet.com/2017-02/15/c_1120467933.htm

quote:

People are asking a lot of questions about my shirt that says "no longer harvesting organs from prisoners" that are already answered by my shirt.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Horatius Bonar posted:

I mean, even best case scenario, China was harvesting organs from dead prisoners until 2015. Which leaves us with the knowledge that they were harvesting organs until then. This covers the prime years of Falun gong activity and imprisonment on the mainland. Unless you're sitting on data that every Falun gong member who died in prison made it out with all their organs I'm not sure what needs to be said.

That is it. That is why Falun Gong is so weirdly frustrating. It seems absolutely clear they are targeted, it seems like they have an actual iron clad actual documented proof real things are happening. Then they weirdly undercut it by making up weirdly easily disprovable things about it. Like they are running a disinfo campaign against their own actually true stuff. Like they will release important news one day then the next release very clearly fake and extremely made up fake facts about the exact same topic. It never feels clear what they get out of doing that. Are they trying to emphasize the importance by inflating things but don't really get how to use hyperbole correctly? Are they mixing real news with more fictionalized stories for religious recruitment? Like what do they get out of saying a real thing then adding a bunch of details that are verifiably untrue about everything. Just stay on the real part!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Horatius Bonar posted:

http://m.xinhuanet.com/2017-02/15/c_1120467933.htm

The original Falun Gong claim was that political prisoners were being killed on demand for their organs: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/china-carrying-out-millions-of-illegal-organ-transplants-annually-report-finds-a7107091.html

I believe this was later found to be false, and consequently dropped as an issue by the western press.

Starks fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Mar 3, 2022