Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jbusbysack
Sep 6, 2002
i heart syd

DarkHorse posted:

A podcast I listen to has a host with ADHD and god it's so obvious when she's missed a dose. On meds she's smart, sharp, insightful, and funny, and apologizes if a comment goes slightly off-topic for more than a sentence. Off meds she's all over the place, constantly going on tangents and giggling over her own cleverness and puns while her partner struggles to keep on topic and on task.

This is presumably for something that's an important source of income so it's weird to see how big the difference is

Would you mind sharing which podcast this is?

I am highly interested to understand this better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

bob dobbs is dead posted:

same in the bay area for b2b enterprise software

"... ask your developer"

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.

Dik Hz posted:

Flying into Reagan is like this. There are huge billboard adds in the terminals targeted at one decision maker in the Pentagon and located specifically by the gates that person is likely to use.

To expand on this I think DCA airport ads are targeted towards congresspeople who appropriate the funds while the metro station ads target pentagon folks that make source selections. I haven't been through either DCA or the metro since before the pandemic but I'm guessing the airport ads focus more on things like jobs and national security while the metro ads focus more on specific capabilities.

grenada fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Mar 7, 2022

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

I was at the Ballston metro earlier today. Pre pandemic it was all infosec ads. Now it's all sports betting and crypto poo poo.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

When I went to Union Station a week ago every other ad was for some crypto credit card that promised 3.5% returns

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Strong Sauce posted:

"... ask your developer"

I came from there. That whole thing was actually great marketing for a startup. They didn't advertise so much as they went to developer conferences. Got their stuff in the "back door" since it's cheap and easy to sign up, then when something goes live/gets popular the spend goes up based on usage and they would negotiate an enterprise deal.

Now they have a real sales staff out doing regular enterprise sales types of things. But back in the day the ad spend was nearly nothing other than a couple of billboards on the way in from the airport.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Yeah, ever since COVID really hit, 90% of YouTube ads for me have been sports betting, crypto, and daytrade bullshit.

The vultures are preying on the desperate and it sucks. Also gently caress Matt Damon for doing tv loving crypto ads.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Also, Larry David.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Just remember kids, no matter how much money you have it will never be enough to not shill for stupid bullshit

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Nocheez posted:

Also, Larry David.

This one feels oddly appropriate though. Like Larry seeing his crypto investment drop to zero while the music plays him out

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Volmarias posted:

This one feels oddly appropriate though. Like Larry seeing his crypto investment drop to zero while the music plays him out

He specifically said not to buy crypto though.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Nocheez posted:

Also, Larry David.

This one made me sad.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Bird in a Blender posted:

He specifically said not to buy crypto though.

Did he really say that outside the commercial? That's one way to claim plausible deniability and safeguard your rep while still getting paid I guess

Still isn't he already stupidly wealthy? I was surprised to see him starring in a commercial. He might just be bwm and out of touch and I'm way overthinking one rich idiot's actions

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

KingSlime posted:

Did he really say that outside the commercial? That's one way to claim plausible deniability and safeguard your rep while still getting paid I guess

Still isn't he already stupidly wealthy? I was surprised to see him starring in a commercial. He might just be bwm and out of touch and I'm way overthinking one rich idiot's actions

1. Are you really asking if Larry David is stupidly wealthy?

2. Ain’t no one saying no to money. I’m sure he considered the POV we are sharing here and said “gently caress it” along with his agent. It’s not like he is starting out and this has any potential to damage his reputation even a small amount. And it must’ve been a mighty fine sum.

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

Cross-posting from one of the threads in PSP:

https://twitter.com/redditships/status/1500927355220631556?s=20&t=5hL4ZJQXlGa_bcOer3LdsA

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

jbusbysack posted:

Would you mind sharing which podcast this is?

I am highly interested to understand this better.

silvergoose posted:

Sounds like wheel takes?

Democratic Pirate posted:

I do be do be do be thinking the same thing.

Yeah it's Wheel Takes, a podcast about the Wheel of Time books

If you're doing it solely for ADHD observation it's probably not great, but if you're familiar with the books they have a fun dynamic just by virtue of who they are: a hyper woman with a goldfish brain but amazing predictive and prescient abilities that hasn't read the books and her fiancé that has

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

KingSlime posted:

No clue if Larry actually owns crypto. It would seem very like LD to say “sure I’ll be in your ad, as long as I get to say how stupid it is, and also pay me a lot of money.”

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
I guess I was thrown off because Larry David probably doesn't have to work for money for the rest of his life, and he strikes me as a kind of guy who at this point only works because he's passionate about what he's doing

So yeah that commercial also made me sad

E: also he's in character in the commercial so it's a pretty transparent/obvious endorsement not even like "haha crypto is so stupid and look they paid me money to be here"

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Mar 8, 2022

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Bird in a Blender posted:

No clue if Larry actually owns crypto. It would seem very like LD to say “sure I’ll be in your ad, as long as I get to say how stupid it is, and also pay me a lot of money.”

Come now, he says he's not into it but the whole joke is that everything he says is lovely is actually the next big thing. It's an endorsement, even if his words don't match what he's really saying.

Edit: his edit was not here when I posted dammit

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Yeah it's a super bowl ad, it doesn't really have more than the one obvious layer

E: :hfive:

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.

KingSlime posted:

I guess I was thrown off because Larry David probably doesn't have to work for money for the rest of his life,

There’s always more poo poo to buy, more people to impress, and most importantly he probably has a bunch of grown kids who are dependent on him to maintain their lifestyle through adulthood.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

"We need you for a week of work for a lot of money"
"Sure it has to be this specific week though. I'm going to a baseball game the week before and I have to film my show the week after"
"Okay"

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Strong Sauce posted:

"We need you for a week of work for a lot of money"
"Sure it has to be this specific week though. I'm going to a baseball game the week before and I have to film my show the week after"
"Okay"

Larry David going to a baseball game kept an innocent man out of prison

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

bob dobbs is dead posted:

same in the bay area for b2b enterprise software

I’d take business buzzword bingo software over the insane number of ads for crypto in Mineta San Jose right now..

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
thats the pouring money into a hole and burning it cateogry i already mentioned tho

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

BWM and BWL! I feel bad for the guy, he's probably gonna spend all that money on training to end up a jobber until he breaks :(

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

21 and finding it hard to cope with my market losses. Have lost 22k trading options.

quote:

Anyone else in the same boat ? Being so young this loss has really taken a toll on me and every night I just think about how stupid I am for losing this much. I don’t have rich parents but I am fortunately to have no college debt because of a merit scholarship . Most of the money I lost was from unemployment in 2020 and other grant money but it still feels soul crushing losing all this money at a young age . I feel like I’ve ruined a decade of potential wealth .

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

lmfao:

quote:

22k So far

also someone posted this wisdom:

quote:

I am 61. Sold all stocks 6 months ago BECAUSE lost in 2000 and 2008. Experience is a teacher—- because most only learn from own experience, not others. The KEY is to learn from it. Buy a index fund each month with paycheck. Don’t try to time market—until you are 61!!

People are defending this... I guess I don't know that particular sub, but it seems to me that this post is bragging about timing the market with their retirement funds?

I would think that on the stocks subreddit, one should be bragging about predicting the downturn and taking advantage of it. Simply stating that you bailed out of stocks a while ago because you're 61 and can't afford to see the market tank means you have not been planning your retirement very well and have been gambling with that money... the lesson here isn't "time the market when you're 61," it's "don't gently caress up like me and over-allocate in to something volatile this close to retirement."

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

The virgin profit taker and the Chad loss hodler

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

KingSlime posted:

I guess I was thrown off because Larry David probably doesn't have to work for money for the rest of his life, and he strikes me as a kind of guy who at this point only works because he's passionate about what he's doing

So yeah that commercial also made me sad

E: also he's in character in the commercial so it's a pretty transparent/obvious endorsement not even like "haha crypto is so stupid and look they paid me money to be here"

Apparently CAA (one of the big 4 talent agencies in Hollywood) has an executive with a bad case of crypto-brain, which has caused them to get involved with a bunch of dumb blockchain scams and pushing their clients to do stuff like promote NFTs and crypto exchanges.

D34THROW posted:

BWM and BWL! I feel bad for the guy, he's probably gonna spend all that money on training to end up a jobber until he breaks :(

This seems especially wild to me because there's no shortage of decent small promotions out there where the guy could cut his teeth and make sure he can cut it without having to make it a full-time job. I know several people who do professional wrestling to varying degrees of success, and every single one of them also has a day job.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

quote:

Lost half of my net worth. Any advice?

Don't even need to post the body because he didn't say what happened, but you can probably guess.

quote:

quote:

If you want really good advice you should give more details... Your in your 20's this is not the end of your world anything is possible work hard and have goals good luck

I wrecked my first car so i bought another one cash. Then I moved 1700 miles to a new city. Invested way more than i could afford to lose in crypto. I appreciate you a lot man.

Pretty standard story and OP learned his lesson... right?

quote:

quote:

Hope you didn’t sell.

Never 💎🙌

quote:

quote:

Only like 7% of people actually understand crypto and are big into it. It’s a long term investment that will build over time so if the markets are down, it shouldn’t be anything to worry about (esp at 20yrs old).

Lame that you getting downvoted but i too believe crypto is long term investment.

quote:

quote:

Then why are you freaking out right now?

You’re right actually, my mind just got clouded by all the red. We all have our moments

quote:

Mortgage 60% of Income, Yay or Nay?

Would love some thoughts before I close next week on a condo.

Background, I'm a 27yo teacher earning $3,300/mo and just purchased a condo for 275k. My monthly mortgage (insurance, HOA, etc. Included) is $1,927.

I'm used to spending $1,300 a month on food, other expenses but just wanted to hear from others who had to live from paycheck to paycheck for a bit just to start building equity.

Is it worth it? I know my mortgage will only decrease and my income will only increase but I'm just nervous for the first year while it's tight. Thanks!

quote:

quote:

This is a horrible, horrible decision. This leaves you no breathing room for anything at all.

I am curious, who would underwrite a loan with such a ridiculous percentage of your income going to the mortgage?

They approved me for 375k at first and I was like, you've got to be kidding me!!

quote:

Who ever told you that your mortgage or payment would decrease?

It does not.

I can 100% tell you they never decrease. You have to think about other costs on top of your mortgage.

■ Your monthly expenditures go up continously because you add things like taxes, HOA, etc., which always increase. Never decrease.

■ And don't forget special assessments. If your condo board votes on something that costs money? You, as an owner, will pay your share.

It's great to build equity, true. How did you get approved for a mortgage with income that balances to 60% for mortgage? Do you have a co-signer or something?

Then there are unexpected things like furnaces breaking down, pipes breaking, unexpected home or car repairs, illness, etc. So many things.

Don't mean to scare you away from your dream. But please think everything through before you sign.

quote:

quote:

Long term plan is to rent it out after living there for 1 year, since millennial teachers don't have pensions that they'll ever see - the only way to get a retirement is through an aggressive 403(B) and real estate.

You’ll still need substantial emergency savings. What happens if your tenant loses a job and/or doesn’t pay rent (I.e. the pandemic) Or if you have a few months in between tenants? Mortgage still has to be paid. Income from a tenant is not necessarily guaranteed at all times.

quote:

That's true - I'm also a little on the fence about that too but I have 7k in savings.

Ultimately I'm thinking if I don't buy now, I'll never have equity. If I don't have equity, I won't be able to get another place to eventually rent too. If I don't own multiple places to rent and become a landlord, I'll never be able to retire.

Am I crazy or is anyone else my age feeling this retirement panic?

quote:

IMO don’t listen to others on here - you’re doing the right thing by building equity. You really have to question hard why others would not want you to have that opportunity, just saying. Had I not bought my place last year (also expensive market - Bay Area), I would have never been able to get one without paying massive amounts over. The best time to buy was yesterday, second best is today. People who don’t get in now really are at risk of being permanently locked out for years due to fast appreciation and extremely low supply.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Mar 8, 2022

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

LanceHunter posted:

This seems especially wild to me because there's no shortage of decent small promotions out there where the guy could cut his teeth and make sure he can cut it without having to make it a full-time job. I know several people who do professional wrestling to varying degrees of success, and every single one of them also has a day job.

It seems weird because you think it's about wrestling. It's really not. It's about "not working" or at least "not at that job anymore" and the rest is just some combination of desperation, justification and willful naivete.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

And the biggest tell for all that is that he just did it without talking to his family or anyone. If he really thought it was going to be a great career move, he would have discussed it in advance.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

You really have to question hard why others would not want you to have that opportunity, just saying.

Lol absolutely the people saying that it doesn’t make sense to spend every dollar you make on your condo have some kind of ulterior motive

What would they possibly be getting out of warning this guy off?

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

I still want to know who underwrote that mortgage.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Grumpwagon posted:

And the biggest tell for all that is that he just did it without talking to his family or anyone. If he really thought it was going to be a great career move, he would have discussed it in advance.

In such a spectacular fashion that his boss was concerned enough to ring his family, no less.

All of the stories I've heard from people in the Industry basically underscore the fact that even if you start in your prime and are young, strong and in good health starting out likely means gruelling years on the road making less than your food and travel costs in booking fees, this dude hasn't figured out why wrestlers sell their ring gear in the first place, and nobody is going to want to buy the soiled jockstrap of Schlubby Joe - The Jobber Who Sucks A Whole Bunch.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

Breetai posted:

Schlubby Joe - The Jobber Who Sucks A Whole Bunch.

Don't doxx me, mods???

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

DisgracelandUSA posted:

Breetai posted:

the soiled jockstrap of Schlubby Joe - The Jobber Who Sucks A Whole Bunch.

Don't doxx me, mods???
Ftfy.

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?

SlapActionJackson posted:

I still want to know who underwrote that mortgage.

Banks have gone totally wild with what they'll sign off on. When I was looking for a house they kept trying to push me towards mortgages I would never have felt remotely comfortable with and one even told me that I should expect to spend at least 60% of my takehome a month on the house. It's very similar to how things were 10 years ago when "house prices never go down."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

When I bought my house, my mortgage was about 50% of my take home, and it sucked. But I was a government employee with guaranteed promotions and knew that after 3 years it would be a reasonable payment.

I’m happy we bought, because it was 2013 and prices started climbing almost immediately after we bought. But man those first few years were rough.