Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Milo and POTUS posted:

great way to weed out undesirables

If I remember right this is explicitly done to weed out people who don't have substantial generational wealth in the finance industry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/casio_juarez/status/1502286162773385217

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

One More Fat Nerd posted:

If I remember right this is explicitly done to weed out people who don't have substantial generational wealth in the finance industry.

Yeah it’s a way to weed out the Poors

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

What the actual gently caress

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I mean, given the way fossil fuels are connected, filling up your car probably supports the war in Ukraine by giving Putin more money to make more bombs.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Most people are at this level or lower with regards to understanding the things that are happening around them. Shits bleak as hell

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

https://www.cnn.com/2022/03/12/business/walgreens-freezer-screens/index.html

So excited for buying things to become even more unpleasant

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

those aren’t new, at least near me in Chicago. been in there for a couple of years at least. and yes, they’re dumb as hell

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

quote:

Avakian insists the tech is "identity-blind" and protects consumers' privacy. The freezers have front-facing sensors used to anonymously track shoppers interacting with the platform, while internally facing cameras track product inventory.

oh my god

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Here I'm the idiot for thinking this tech could be a net saving in electricity since the doors could be better insulated and opened less frequently.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
I hate this

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Rebel Blob posted:

This wonderful system in action:

https://i.imgur.com/SfYRIuQ.mp4

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Dog Case posted:

I hate this

that’s what deciding between a Roth and IRA is

(and it’s dumb as poo poo)

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Yeah this is what I figured it was for. Better to add more screen time to your customers' eyes and increase you energy use rather than risk your store looking empty for a second.

Also, of course prices went up, how do you think we're gonna pay for these fuckin' screens?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Great now the drinks can wiggle suggestively at you as you walk by

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I hate that the end point of this is probably a Carlson special into how the woke mob are making the diet coke lady less sexy

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Capitalist efficiency in action: instead of clear doors for drink refrigerators, let's make a costly, unnecessary screen that doesn't even show when a drink you want is out of stock!

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Shame Boy posted:

Great now the drinks can wiggle suggestively at you as you walk by

I hope they don't do that, it'll make me too horny

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Wouldn't there be waste heat from the screens too, requiring more cooling?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Milo and POTUS posted:

:confused:

It's capitalism therefore efficient use of resources.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Milo and POTUS posted:

Yes, but we're talking a very small amount of extra heat. To the point where the other issues with restocking and sexual frustration are infinitely more germane.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Opening and closing the doors until they're satisfied. 9 months later my drink is dispensed

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

I would try to jam them open somehow. There has to be a quick and easy way to gently caress up a loving lcd cooler door.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

This should become the new stock trading thread.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Biplane posted:

I would try to jam them open somehow. There has to be a quick and easy way to gently caress up a loving lcd cooler door.

you can smack them with a key

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

One More Fat Nerd posted:

Also, racism.

I read a story once about how college football athletes not being paid started as a way to ensure only wealthy whites would be able to play the sport.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

tokin opposition posted:

Yes, but we're talking a very small amount of extra heat. To the point where the other issues with restocking and sexual frustration are infinitely more germane.

thank you comrade

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I was just looking up why people were getting loving bitcoin ads in fortune cookies and found this awful bullshit:

https://www.openfortune.com/

quote:

We took the traditional fortune cookie.
And made it better.

Fortune cookies, an after-meal treat handed out at Asian restaurants, have been baked into American culture since the early 1900s.

Since then, Asian food has become one of the most popular food choices in the U.S. –nearly 92% of the population claims to eat Asian food at least once every 3 months.

Today, the traditional fortune cookie remains essentially unchanged – sweet on the outside, motivational on the inside.

The front slip contains messages of health, wealth, prosperity and other powerful emotions. The back slip has traditionally been left blank.

That’s where we come in.

Imagine the kind of loving brain worms marketers must have where they see any empty space of any kind anywhere and go WHY ISN'T THERE AN AD THERE???

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

quote:

OpenFortune leverages that extra space for our clients’ branded content, while maintaining the integrity of traditional fortune messages and lucky numbers.

We create engaging content that consumers interact with, while allowing brands to thoughtfully join the conversation at the table and beyond.

Y'know I didn't even consider fortune cookies to need to have "integrity" until you put ads on them. Like I already had zero trust for what a fortune cookie tells me but you somehow made that trust negative with this bullshit, which is impressive in a hosed up way.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I wonder how many of these are people posting it along with "what the gently caress is this bullshit, why does my fortune cookie have a goddamn ad in it??"

I'm gonna guess "All of them"

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Their news section's most recent article is about the tourist board for loving Bradenton, Florida using it, which I didn't even realize had a tourist board.

quote:

Clark said that she and her staff created about half of the 40 fortunes on their cookies. They had to be clever and had to contain a level of mystery, because after all, people don't want to be cheated out of their fortune.

Among those fortunes created by the bureau's staff members were:

"Warm weather is closer than you think."

"A beach vacation is in your future."

"Soon the only ice you will find will be in your drink."

"Say hello to warm weather ahead."

"Go relax on the beach. You deserve it."

Clark said she hopes those New Haven residents who never had heard of Anna Maria Island would be thinking, "It's freezing cold here, and let me look into this."

Anyone who might live in New Haven, please don't go to Bradenton because a cookie told you. Or for any other reason, really.

e: lmao

quote:

Falcione said getting people to realize there is a Bradenton, along with Sarasota, attached to the airport is critical.

"When you fly into Sarasota Bradenton Airport, nine out of 10 wouldn't know Bradenton exists. We need a requirement with the airlines to be consistent with the Bradenton name on all platforms. We have to protect our hospitality industry. This marketplace is geographically challenged. Is it frustrating? Hell yeah!"

Bradenton: It Exists!™

Shame Boy has issued a correction as of 07:45 on Mar 13, 2022

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Biplane posted:

Counterpoint: make the effort to hack the system (did they save money on security? I'm guessing yes).
Your choice of goatse or communist propaganda.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

wouldn’t be surprised to find those doors are racist

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

This is exactly what happens at my local Walgreens. The screens show a bountiful refrigerator bursting with all the most delicious beverages that modern society has made available to the consumer, but when you open the door there's just a single dented can of Red Bull: Blue Edition

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

i love Brands

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Almost like in a better world the supply chains wouldn't be hosed and Walgreens would pay people enough that they give a poo poo and actually restock the fridges and the fridge doors would just be regular clear glass that would show you what's inside without a shiny farrago of lies

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Shame Boy posted:

I wonder how many of these are people posting it along with "what the gently caress is this bullshit, why does my fortune cookie have a goddamn ad in it??"

I'm gonna guess "All of them"

lmao

THIS POST IS BOUGHT TO YOU BY THE REFRESHING TASTE OF COCA COLA

(WHY NOT LMAO WITH AN ICE COLD COKE?)

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

quote:

We create engaging content that consumers interact with, while allowing brands to thoughtfully join the conversation at the table and beyond.

This is... nothing.

This is the text equivalent of a fridge that has drinks visible on the door but it's actually completely empty

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Can't just eat my dinner got to have a thoughtful conversation with it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I see you're talking about the family dog's vet bills while eating homemade chicken soup

Can I interest you in PEPSI MAX