Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Just got Nebulous Fleet Command. It's early access and pretty bare bones but has some really satisfying mechanics. It has a great expanse vibe and relies a lot on ECM and ECCM. The controls seem really clunky at first but once you get used to them they really offer a significant amount of freedom.

It's also super satisfying to pierce through an entire ship with a keel-mounted railgun and see their reactor go boom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcDlzuv4ujI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

isn't that a prequel

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

it's not a sequel or a prequel. it's a genetic freak and it's not normal

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Sagebrush posted:

half life 2 episode 1 and 2 were actually the first two-thirds of half life 3. alyx is half life 4, but because half life 3 was only 0.6, and alyx takes place between 1 and 2, that means alyx is really half life 1.5 + 2.6 = 4.1 so that's a 141% chance of winning GOTY at sacrifice

Sagebrush posted:

it's not a sequel or a prequel. it's a genetic freak and it's not normal

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Just got Nebulous Fleet Command. It's early access and pretty bare bones but has some really satisfying mechanics. It has a great expanse vibe and relies a lot on ECM and ECCM. The controls seem really clunky at first but once you get used to them they really offer a significant amount of freedom.

It's also super satisfying to pierce through an entire ship with a keel-mounted railgun and see their reactor go boom.

This looks cool

I've been waiting with baited breath for Falling Frontier and Terra Invicta for that expanse-esque space game vibe so this might scratch the itch

The Fool fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Mar 14, 2022

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

2fort could be fun with the right people

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The Fool posted:

I've been waiting with bated breath

thank you for spelling this correctly

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Sagebrush posted:

you don't bait your breath?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Improbable Lobster posted:

what sort of prey would you attract with garlic

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Improbable Lobster posted:

i don't give people free reign either, or pump my breaks

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I give plenty of free rain while pumping breaks

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

I'm going to change it just because you said something

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

i do not chomp at the bit, sam i am

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

akadajet posted:

2fort could be fun with the right people

2fort was mostly fun as a concjump ctf map

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
gettin real tired of dyin

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
ive been having fun with elden ring but i've been taking it slow, playing like an hour once every couple days. it's probably going to take me absolutely forever to finish it.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

this looks cool

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

theres a certain bonfire you need to rest at near where you start to unlock it hth

yeah I sat at a grace point rather than just touching it and it let me do this, but I mean, not how technically, but what do I put my time into

what might ultimately kill me is simple the time it takes to die and then get back to where I was to get one hitter again and again.

PIZZA.BAT posted:

also a piece of real advice in the 'this game is different from most others and will punish you until you shake off their habits' category: it isn't about timing your blocks or dodges, although that is important. most other games like this the enemy will have a windup and you're expected to hit the dodge button at just the right time and bingo bongo you've dodged the attack! that isn't how it works here. almost all enemies will not only have variance in how long they take to swing, making timing much more difficult, but they'll track you as you dodge as well so if you gently caress up the timing they'll just stab you in the face anyways. the key in this is to get a read on *where* their attack is going and to dodge into wherever their opening will be. so even if they decide to attack after your dodge is complete it won't matter because they'll have entirely whiffed anyways

let’s see if this helps me

Sagebrush posted:

maybe i don't have the sort of brain that gets people addicted to making bigger and bigger machines for their own sake. when i see something like a Z80 CPU implemented entirely with minecraft levers it just makes me anxious

it honestly surprises me how people can put hundreds and hundreds of hours into a game.

my ex wife loved plants vs zombies and beat the game and restarted it and beat it like 5 times. my reward pathway requires novelty in a way that hers simply doesn’t. she’s watched the office like 10 times. yes all of it.

Shaggar posted:

if you want something thats factorio adjacent, but more casual The Riftbreaker is really good and is on game pass. its more focused on the combat and base building stuff and less on resource management/logistics.

yeah this was good. like a good “game” rather than game-like grind simulator, you’ve got characters and talking and unexpected things and satisfying weapons and the graphics are incredible for what it is and yes I can heartily recommend it

polyester concept posted:

elden ring/dark souls is about finding the right cheese strategy that works for 90% of the enemies, and then you can summon help for the remaining 10%. for me its stagger locking literally every enemy with a 2 handed zweihander so they dont even have a chance to attack you. jump attacks are extremely good for this. then the difficulty is just crowd control

i feel like i’m so dumb when I read any of this. some of the things people describe make it feel like a different game than I am playing. maybe I should restart and do the tutorial

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

same echi, same
: if you can get summoned

what the heck does this mean lol

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

echinopsis posted:

i feel like i’m so dumb when I read any of this. some of the things people describe make it feel like a different game than I am playing. maybe I should restart and do the tutorial

it just means he has a big sword and he's using it with both hands instead of one, and hitting people makes them stagger a bit. that's good because it means while they're staggering around they're not trying to murder you

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I just went into a cave and slaughtered some dog things and then went thru a mist and something very quickly killed me and I realised I'd have to kill all those dogs again and I realised this game is not for me, not for someone with as little patience and inability to experience repitition.

it was fun while it lasted. wanted to like it. wish I could fly around the world in VR

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

echinopsis posted:

I just went into a cave and slaughtered some dog things and then went thru a mist and something very quickly killed me and I realised I'd have to kill all those dogs again and I realised this game is not for me, not for someone with as little patience and inability to experience repitition.

it was fun while it lasted. wanted to like it. wish I could fly around the world in VR

not tryin to convince you to keep playing but there’s a checkpoint outside nearly all mist doors so you usually don’t have to fight anything to get back to the boss

but if you die in a level before those checkpoints then yeah you gotta fight all those dogs again.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
i think echi was in one of the ruins, which dont have any checkpoint.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

what people don’t really tell you about elden ring and souls games is that its often a game of patience. if you run in swinging like crazy then you will likely die a lot and it will get frustrating fast. an easy beginner strat is to get a 1 handed weapon and a shield that blocks 100% physical damage. just use your shield all the time, it will drain your stamina instead of health when you get hit. there is a mechanic in the game where enemies will be momentarily stunned when striking your shield which opens them up to an easy counter attack. thats when you press r2 for your “guard counter”. most of the enemies work this way, so you just have to wait for them to strike first and block it, the timing is pretty forgiving unlike learning how to parry. practice on the soldiers that are walking around limgrave alone and level up your vigor and endurance until you can tank a few hits without getting destroyed. dogs are one of the most annoying enemies in the game especially when they team up on you

also, a lot of enemies are extremely easy to just circle around and will often open themselves up to an easy backstab when they swing at you because they stop moving to do so. lock on, shield out, move in close, circle around and wait for them to take a swing, backstab or block/guard counter. works especially good on big slow enemies, too. its the animals that will absolutely ruin your day though. birds, dogs and bears.

polyester concept fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Mar 14, 2022

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
anything with wings are the worst

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

also, its fine to not like souls games/elden ring

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

yeah, it's not a huge deal :)

it doesn't click for some people

i beat it last night and the last few bosses (literally a gauntlet - well, the last 2 - the one before that lets you rest) drained me. Tough fights, can smash you quick. 85 hours and that play through is done.

This game consumed me and a break is needed so bad.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
I’m not like jealous or anything but dropping 85 hours in a handful of weeks for a game is a luxury I wish I had. then again I savor every 30 minute session I can squeeze in so fomo gets replaced with just playing as I accept I won’t beat the game for a while. helps save money tho

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

video games

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

:hmmyes:

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

I took a trip to the frozen wastes DLC area in H:ZD where I was somewhat underleveled, and soon found myself in a pitched battle with a big 'scorcher' robot dog living in a cave who would ranged explode / fire-breath / swipe me in two hits.

Ok, use the tools you have - set up some explosive triplines with supplemental 'explode when damaged' set traps, and then hit him with a 'tearblast' arrow that blows off the mounted mine launcher on its hip. This provokes him into charging, into the tripline that blows and stumbles him down a few seconds, enough time for me to dive to the mine launcher, snatch it up and absolutely plaster him with sticky mines. Just gets up and is readying another lunge when the mines all go off, job done and about third of a level of XP gained.

Love it when a plan comes together :cool:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
yeah I remember that being the best way to handle those guys when I first played it

get the mine launcher off, get some distance, lay all the mines between you and him, wait for him to charge, get showered with robot parts

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Hey come stop over, Mom says we can play the Video Games!

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
someone making a complicated modern berzerk boardgame could probably make a million dollars on kickstarter

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

someone making a complicated modern berzerk boardgame could probably make a million dollars on kickstarter
they just started shipping the Dark Tower game remake

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

haveblue posted:

yeah I remember that being the best way to handle those guys when I first played it

get the mine launcher off, get some distance, lay all the mines between you and him, wait for him to charge, get showered with robot parts

I'm def. going to use unmounted weapons more if I have the chance - I just finished the ZETA Cauldron where the last boss is one of the huge T-Rex Thunderjaws, I had a big battle of attrition where I was down to zero health pouches and one health flask left when I finally beat him, then found two disc launchers at the edge of the arena I'd removed at the start of the fight - oh yeah these would probably have been helpful :o:

FMguru posted:

they just started shipping the Dark Tower game remake

The Dork Tower :smaug:

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Fart Sandwiches posted:

I’m not like jealous or anything but dropping 85 hours in a handful of weeks for a game is a luxury I wish I had. then again I savor every 30 minute session I can squeeze in so fomo gets replaced with just playing as I accept I won’t beat the game for a while. helps save money tho

no kids, chill wife, late nights, work not being too busy and working from home as a janitor lends a lot of time

its abnormal though

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

NoneMoreNegative posted:

dudes still churning out webcomics despite probably being a millionaire from his munchkin money

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

getting the hang of young souls but the loot situation just isn't making sense. more than halfway through and ive seen three helmets. the weapon drops from bosses or gold chests are significantly worse than stuff i find lying around. it seems like there just might not be very many items total in this game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Sagebrush posted:

half life 2 episode 1 and 2 were actually the first two-thirds of half life 3. alyx is half life 4, but because half life 3 was only 0.6, and alyx takes place between 1 and 2, that means alyx is really half life 1.5 + 2.6 = 4.1 so that's a 141% chance of winning GOTY at sacrifice

lmfao