Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Gruckles posted:

My theory was that Cogita is like Volo's great-aunt or something, and that the tribe they descend from is just Cynthias all the way down. So they both could be considered her ancestors, but they're not necessarily both related to her in the most direct sense.
Also Volo seems like he might actually be Cyrus's ancestor, or at least passed some of his ideas to Cyllene's family at some point.

Apart from having similar machinations for remaking the world due to "past trauma" that isn't specified, I don't really believe that there's more of a connection between Volo and Cyrus.

Of course, how any work handles reincarnation or identical ancestors/descendants varies from series to series. I kind of don't believe that their actions were determined by some genetic memory or predetermined fate of some kind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

watchoutitsabear
Sep 8, 2011

Echophonic posted:

I want a Luxury Ball dex. I save-edited in a shitload of Lux balls into my Ultra Moon save to this end. I also am waiting eagerly for the Wand Company Luxury Ball to go with my Pokeball.

I share your ambition, my friend.

I also maybe broke my brain with how easy shinies have been in Legends and before that in Let's Go. I've never been a proper shiny hunter before but I just ordered a Japanese copy of SoulSilver to trade myself a Japanese Ditto and am going to attempt to MM myself a team of at least 4 but ideally 6 for an excruciatingly slow playthrough of HeartGold. Will happily post my descent into madness or abandonment of this quest in here.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
Caught a shiny Misdreavus amidst a mass mass outbreak this evening. Stay safe mustard ghost.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

I just checked out my 3DS games to prepare for when I finally transfer everything to Home (just to make sure no funny business happens with Bank after Eshop closes) and here are my findings:

Y: Found out I started a Nuzlocke that stopped after the Kanto Starter, huh. Probably means all mon old mons are either or a future game or Bank.
Ultra Sun: I, uh, never finished the postgame. Should do that some day.
Sun: Has my only copy of Marshadow and probably more stuff, let's see the next game-
Alpha Sapphire: uuuuuuuuuuuhhhhh holy poo poo i had 31 filled boxes with stuff including like 3-4 copies of multiple legendaries, that could be useful in the future

That said, checking them all made me realize the lame part about legendaries being tied to key items: if you wanna reset the game you lose forever access to the event. Yeah, they should be already done and I keep the Pokemon if I transfer, but it feels bad now...

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The same thing that happened to the DS games might happen for the 3DS some day. Where they just have some address code you can set that just generates al the old wifi events for the games with the servers went offline. I forget what the term for the thing is. dni? I don't know basic technology stuff without looking at the screen :negative:

I also remember probably a decade ago one address you put in, and every time you connected to the GTS, it would just trade you a random pokemon without you putting anything up. Literally anything in the national dex could show up as many times as you wanted to keep pulling from it. 3DS wonder trade could work similarly some day.

watchoutitsabear
Sep 8, 2011

Hrist posted:

The same thing that happened to the DS games might happen for the 3DS some day. Where they just have some address code you can set that just generates al the old wifi events for the games with the servers went offline. I forget what the term for the thing is. dni? I don't know basic technology stuff without looking at the screen :negative:

What what what what now? Are you telling me I can get Celebi and Spiky-Eared Pichu in HGSS right now??

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

May the sacred flame guide me... Or something like that.

watchoutitsabear posted:

What what what what now? Are you telling me I can get Celebi and Spiky-Eared Pichu in HGSS right now??

https://www.reddit.com/r/wiimmfi/comments/ezoj8f/comment/fr4vu12/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

You sure can, every single mystery gift is available through changing the dns.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
X Nuzlocke seemed like it was stabilizing a bit. I was almost very very wrong.

drat near wiped out half of my squad in the grass gym. My grumpig was at 1hp and I’ve never been more wary of getting bonked by someone using Pursuit. Now that I’m posting this on the internet i definitely regret some of these very stupid names.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
tag yourself, im nipsqueak

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Bismack Billabongo posted:

drat near wiped out half of my squad in the grass gym. My grumpig was at 1hp and I’ve never been more wary of getting bonked by someone using Pursuit. Now that I’m posting this on the internet i definitely regret some of these very stupid names.

I once purposefully named a growlithe "Eyeliner" before trading it to a friend in HGSS. She was annoyed enough by it I think she bred a new one. So, those names aren't as dumb as you think.

Edit: What's worse is I was looking at the cats up for adoption at the mall once and there was, I poo poo you not, one named Folder and another Glue Stick. Whole other level giving those types of names to irl pets.

Turbinosamente fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Mar 15, 2022

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
My favourite Pokemon nickname I’ve ever done is naming my Sigilyph The Nazcool

No I will not be taking any questions at this time

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
I named my shiny Braviary FDR. It was the only acceptable option.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

watchoutitsabear posted:

If you have a homebrew 3DS, you can use PKSM to do whatever cards for distributions you want, too.

https://github.com/FlagBrew/PKSM/releases

watchoutitsabear
Sep 8, 2011

Echophonic posted:

If you have a homebrew 3DS, you can use PKSM to do whatever cards for distributions you want, too.

https://github.com/FlagBrew/PKSM/releases

Wow thank you both so much. I'm about to go down a wormhole of loving with my 3DS, I am so excited. (Also I haven't been very active on the forums in ages so if it's impolite to post to thank people because it just clutters the thread, please let me know!)

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
Just Post

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I named my Legends Oshawott 'Revolver.'

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Turbinosamente posted:

Edit: What's worse is I was looking at the cats up for adoption at the mall once and there was, I poo poo you not, one named Folder and another Glue Stick. Whole other level giving those types of names to irl pets.

In bed trying to go to sleep and read this amazing story and now I’m laughing so hard no sound is coming out. Those are incredible names and now I want pets to inflict them on.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I ain't know why people don't wanna post. Just loving do it homie

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

There was a thread in GBS a while back that was something like "Post weird ways your pets have died" which ended up having a spinoff thread called "Post weird ways your grandparents have died" which was just all the best/funniest stories from the original thread but instead of posts like "my dog jumped out of the window of our car going 50mph" it was "my grandpa jumped out of the window of our car going 50mph"

Anyways, ever since then I've wanted to get a dog and name them Grandpa.

"Get off the couch, Grandpa!"
"Grandpa, you just ate. You're not getting another bowl of kibble."
"Sorry to say we had to put Grandpa down today..."

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

Turbinosamente posted:

I once purposefully named a growlithe "Eyeliner" before trading it to a friend in HGSS. She was annoyed enough by it I think she bred a new one. So, those names aren't as dumb as you think.

There's a phenomenon called "foster fail" where someone fostering a pet until it gets adopted will end up accidentally adopting it themselves because they become too attached to them. I've heard a lot of names like this that are there to basically discourage that from happening. Like naming a cat "garbage can lid" is supposed to prevent you from pack bonding as easily as if it were named "Nuggie", and the family that adopts the cat ends up naming it whatever.

Of course it inevitably fails and that kitty cat foster mom is now stuck with an adorable cat named "garbage can lid". Garby for short.

Though sometimes it's literally just a shelter running out of names. Like you can only name a new kitten Felix and Oreo so many times before you start looking around like "uhhh I'll name you Glue Stick I guess."

Traditionally I've named my pokemon very cutesy names, usually food-themed, like "Mango" or "Guava" or "Cupcake". Lately I've gotten a little looser with them and have been naming them very silly names. Like in Sword/Shield I had a Dhelmise named "Weed Ghost". In Arceus I have an alpha Parasect that I named "WIDE LOAD".

I love WIDE LOAD.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Shiroc posted:

I named my Legends Oshawott 'Revolver.'

:hmmyes:

https://twitter.com/Kirielu/status/1088335964353654785

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

The alpha Pokémon make me miss my totem Araquanid Orson, who will be forever stuck in Ultra Moon. I love how he filled half the screen during battle. And that my main story team consisted of mostly cuties like Alolan Raichu, Alolan Sandslash, Bewear, Primarina, Shiinotic, and then a giant loving alien spider.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

StandardVC10 posted:

Ah, but you see, I'm playing Brilliant Diamond, where TRs don't exist.

I hated SwSh when I was playing it with my kid because the quality just felt like rear end, dynamax was terrible for balance and there was a lot of stuff missing until they bothered to put it into the dlcs and fill out the dex a bit.

However, there’s a lot of things in there that just makes building legit useful Pokémon reasonably easy to do to the point where doing the old way just feels laborious. Don’t have to spend enormous amounts of time or transfer specific legendaries up through Pokémon bank, get critical single use TMs once per play through and other extremely time consuming bullshit things that make it such a harsh barrier to entry that it’s basically go grab a pkhex generated Pokémon or just stick to Pokémon showdown.

I still don’t like dynamax and the lackluster storyline in SwSh is still ignorable, but mostly I played these games to come up with dumb gimmick teams to play against people for fun, not to stop team galaxy or whatever band of weirdos is trying to complete their nonsensical objective.

Legends Arceus is the only Pokémon game I can think of where there was a story that was even slightly compelling, and I do hope they import some of the elements from there into gen 9. Frostbite, sleep and hail/snow changes in particular would be welcome. Freeze is the worst and should go away.

Nuclearmonkee fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Mar 15, 2022

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Tiny Myers posted:

I love WIDE LOAD.

:allears:

I love him as well.

Sleeping Sigma
Dec 28, 2012
BDSP getting it's final events soon.

https://twitter.com/SerebiiNet/status/1503722039760281602

https://twitter.com/SerebiiNet/status/1503719482082136074

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
how can I get a Zarude

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

So ater 16 years Azure flute Arceus will finally be legal, huh. At least as a save-file stuff it actually averts the usual Event item problem.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

indigi posted:

how can I get a Zarude

Ask someone with an extra one to trade it to you.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Spacebump posted:

Does anyone in this thread have a shiny Living Dex?

Not quite, but I'm getting there:

The Shiny Dens in Sword and Shield account for the vast majority of these, I wouldn't even be bothering otherwise. The rest come from Pokemon Go, the few random shinies I had from older games, and doing a lot of trading with people online.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Is the darkrai shiny locked?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I hope in future games that Hail/Sunlight/etc. have an option to just display text and hurt both Pokemon at the same time instead of spending a few seconds showing that it's active and damaging everything one by one.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Flopsy posted:

Is the darkrai shiny locked?

Shaymin wasn't so I wouldn't be surprised if Darkrai or even Arceus aren't shiny locked either.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I hope in future games that Hail/Sunlight/etc. have an option to just display text and hurt both Pokemon at the same time instead of spending a few seconds showing that it's active and damaging everything one by one.

Presumably the reason they don't do this is that it opens up the possibility of people being confused and upset when the game declares (seemingly arbitrarily) that there was a winner or a loser to a battle that appeared to be a draw (because each side's last remaining pokemon fainted to weather on the same turn).

Plasbad
Oct 2, 2013

Admiral Joeslop posted:

They kind of already do if you turn off battle animations. Wi-Fi battles always have animations on though, and it's important in high level play to see who gets hurt first since it's based on highest to lowest speed. I agree that sand/hail damage, grassy terrain recovery, burn/poison damage, and leftovers recovery stacked on top of each other does drag things out a lot though.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Zuzie posted:

Shaymin wasn't so I wouldn't be surprised if Darkrai or even Arceus aren't shiny locked either.

Hm. So straight up I already have a shiny darkrai but the game won't allow me to nickname him though. Anyone have suggestions on how to fix that?

edit; this is for sword and shield btw

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

load the save into a file editor

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Flopsy posted:

Hm. So straight up I already have a shiny darkrai but the game won't allow me to nickname him though. Anyone have suggestions on how to fix that?

edit; this is for sword and shield btw

I thought sword and shield let you rename pokemon that aren't yours exactly once?

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

I think that's only if they don't already have a nickname?

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Cattail Prophet posted:

It isn't nicknamed but it is a legendary and they have this stupid stupid rule where they won't let you nickname ones given out as gifts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Cattail Prophet posted:

This is how I learned the Level 100 shiny Regieleki that I got in a wonder trade named WEBSITE.WHATEVER couldn't be renamed.

Free master ball though.