Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
A lovely nighttime picture of a beautiful presumably buddhist temple in I think southeast asia. It's not ancient; it's a relatively contemporary design and build I'd say. I'm 90% certain it was a wikimedia picture of the day once upon a time. I'm combing through them atm but man there's a lot of them. I've tried googling it but to no avail

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Milo and POTUS posted:

A lovely nighttime picture of a beautiful presumably buddhist temple in I think southeast asia. It's not ancient; it's a relatively contemporary design and build I'd say. I'm 90% certain it was a wikimedia picture of the day once upon a time. I'm combing through them atm but man there's a lot of them. I've tried googling it but to no avail

Maybe this??

quote:

Picture of the day for November 28 2017 by Wikipedia Kiyomizu-dera in Kyoto Japan an UNESCO World Heritage Site is an independent Buddhist temple.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

America posted:

I don't have a link but HBO had a sketch show called 'Hard Core TV' in the late 90s that could be it. Definitely the same vibe.

Unfortunately that would be too recent for it to be it. I did find some videos on YouTube though of the show and found an episode where they parody one of my favorite rap groups ever so this was an awesome find regardless.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Nah I remember it being a lot more green tinted overall. It's a hell of a pretty picture though but I want something in vaguely wallpaperish dimensions

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

Unfortunately that would be too recent for it to be it. I did find some videos on YouTube though of the show and found an episode where they parody one of my favorite rap groups ever so this was an awesome find regardless.

Chumbawumba???

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Found it, more blue than green I guess. And I don't think it was potd. Huh. Wonder where I first found it.

torgo
Aug 13, 2003

Fun Shoe

Milo and POTUS posted:

Found it, more blue than green I guess. And I don't think it was potd. Huh. Wonder where I first found it.

I'm not sure if that is the exact same photo, but I've seen that temple on my Chromecast's set of rotating images, using whatever settings are default out of the box.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

So this would be a live action episode of a tv show for kids that was very inspired by the second Bill & Ted, two guys are in a competition to be able to keep doing what they're doing with a supernatural or robotic opponent, after losing a contest or two that may have involved racing in towels they challenge it to pong which is played in a giant virtual arena and win when a they first throw their paddle and then score by sending it back again using their head as a paddle. May have involved slow motion at the end.

Aired in Canada in the mid or late 90s, probably YTV.

*Edit*

That's it all right, thank you very much.

Two minutes. It took two minutes to get an answer and 22 to get a direct link to something I haven't seen in 25-odd years.

It's an amazing world we live in.

Arbite fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Feb 22, 2022

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Arbite posted:

So this would be a live action episode of a tv show for kids that was very inspired by the second Bill & Ted, two guys are in a competition to be able to keep doing what they're doing with a supernatural or robotic opponent, after losing a contest or two that may have involved racing in towels they challenge it to pong which is played in a giant virtual arena and win when a they first throw their paddle and then score by sending it back again using their head as a paddle. May have involved slow motion at the end.

Aired in Canada in the mid or late 90s, probably YTV.

Weird Science, the TV Series, is what it sounds like.

I think the description reminds me of the episode where computer gods were going to revoke their custodianship of Lisa because they were being jerks and they had to win her back.

Edit: Wasn't this episode, but I think I found it on Dailymotion
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6nkm65 at about the 24 minute mark

JediTalentAgent fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Feb 22, 2022

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.ctv.ca has a ton of extremely rare 80s and 90s TV shows, even stuff people at myspleen have never found. I wish I knew how to rip them. They have every episode of Baby Talk and not to mention Free Spirit!

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.
I suspect this would be quite easy to find if I knew the right word to describe it...

There was a website that let you draw a doodle. It would then generate a mechanism of rotating arms that would re-draw whatever you drew.

I'm finding it really tough to explain, imagine the mechanism like a clock hand but with another rotating arm fixed to the end of it, and then another one fixed to the end of that and so on. all the arms rotate at different speeds causing the very last one to trace the outline of your doodle.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Tea Bone posted:

I suspect this would be quite easy to find if I knew the right word to describe it...

There was a website that let you draw a doodle. It would then generate a mechanism of rotating arms that would re-draw whatever you drew.

I'm finding it really tough to explain, imagine the mechanism like a clock hand but with another rotating arm fixed to the end of it, and then another one fixed to the end of that and so on. all the arms rotate at different speeds causing the very last one to trace the outline of your doodle.

Like a spirograph?

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Tea Bone posted:

Are they "epicycles"?

For example, https://www.myfourierepicycles.com/

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.

wa27 posted:

Are they "epicycles"?

For example, https://www.myfourierepicycles.com/

Yeah I think this is it. My memory is of just one set of rotating arms rather than 2 plotting x,y coordinates but this seems close enough that I suspect I'm just mis-remembering it.

Tea Bone fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Feb 22, 2022

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
been looking for a clip of streamer and comedian Limmy where someone in chat asks "are you gay" and he keeps repeating the answer "depends whose asking". thanks in advance

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

Tea Bone posted:

Yeah I think this is it. My memory is of just one set of rotating arms rather than 2 plotting x,y coordinates but this seems close enough that I suspect I'm just mis-remembering it.

Probably not this: https://www.jezzamon.com/fourier/index.html but it's a very nice intro to the principle
But here's what you really wanted: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3963350&userid=169870

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.

thepopmonster posted:

Probably not this: https://www.jezzamon.com/fourier/index.html but it's a very nice intro to the principle
But here's what you really wanted: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3963350&userid=169870

Ah thanks, this is exactly the site I remember!

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
There was a story in one of the old trolling threads on the games forum:

This guy and his friends liked to mess around with soundboards, to play annoying sounds in online games. At some point someone gets mad at the one playing the sounds, and op tells him that it's a young girl who has trouble with direct communication and that she uses sound effects to talk. For whatever reason, a bunch of people believe him. Op and his friends keep joining that server. Since a few regulars were on board, they always had someone willing to back up the story. Anyone who didn't buy it, or complained got kicked for harassing a small disabled child. The ended up keeping the whole thing going long term with a backstory and had worked out a sort of sound effect shorthand. She became a beloved part of the server and all who played there. In the end I think they faked her death.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
I came home today and my husband had a movie on, I have no idea what it's called. It was on the public broadcast channel, and I watched the credits but didn't catch the name.

It was about a ghost or multiple ghosts, there's a dog who goes out and digs in the grave next to a girl's house. The ending is the girl sitting in her bed, the dog comes home and she's happy to see it, but when she pets it her hands are covered in mud and then a dirty hand starts to open the door.

Wtf did I just watch? It wasn't Pet Semetary. I think the credits said the actress who played the girl was Helen.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Treecko posted:

I came home today and my husband had a movie on, I have no idea what it's called. It was on the public broadcast channel, and I watched the credits but didn't catch the name.

It was about a ghost or multiple ghosts, there's a dog who goes out and digs in the grave next to a girl's house. The ending is the girl sitting in her bed, the dog comes home and she's happy to see it, but when she pets it her hands are covered in mud and then a dirty hand starts to open the door.

Wtf did I just watch? It wasn't Pet Semetary. I think the credits said the actress who played the girl was Helen.

I don't know either but check your local listings TV guide website thing before they erase the info tomorrow. That will tell you what the movie was.

edit: might be here too: https://dv2oc5tyj18yr.cloudfront.net/wp-content/blogs.dir/2/files/2022/02/March-2022-Digital-Guide-1.pdf

Especially helpful since you know the channel and time.

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Mar 6, 2022

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Treecko posted:

I think you've got an episode of Ray Bradbury Theater. If by "public broadcast channel," you mean Comet TV - which is frequently included in local stations' packages these days.

More specifically, I'm pretty sure it's The Emissary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMHyzAThuf0

The Emissary aired on Comet on March 6 at 1 p.m. EST.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!

RC and Moon Pie posted:

I think you've got an episode of Ray Bradbury Theater. If by "public broadcast channel," you mean Comet TV - which is frequently included in local stations' packages these days.

More specifically, I'm pretty sure it's The Emissary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMHyzAThuf0

The Emissary aired on Comet on March 6 at 1 p.m. EST.

Nailed it, thanks! I only kinda saw bits of it while doing chores and wrangling the kiddos, it was bugging the heck outta me and I didn't get a chance to check thoroughly myself.

I knew goons would pull through so I asked here. Thanks guys!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

What action movie are Dale and Brennan watching in Step Brothers? The one where the guy gets his arm broken. I can't even begin to figure out where to find this info

Duckwaffle
Nov 8, 2010

Milo and POTUS posted:

What action movie are Dale and Brennan watching in Step Brothers? The one where the guy gets his arm broken. I can't even begin to figure out where to find this info

According to IMDB:
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0838283/trivia?item=tr2440547

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

A video of that South American dance style where you spin two long strings from your hand with like conkers or something wooden toed on the end so it strikes the floor at the same time as you tap dance so it’s like super tappy sounds with whippey rapid strings flying everywhere.

This is apparently impossible to Google or even, ick, do a Bing for.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Milo and POTUS posted:

IMDb’s “connections” page is great for this kind of question: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0838283/movieconnections/

The movie is Above the Law.

Jumpsuit
Jan 1, 2007

shadow puppet of a posted:

A video of that South American dance style where you spin two long strings from your hand with like conkers or something wooden toed on the end so it strikes the floor at the same time as you tap dance so it’s like super tappy sounds with whippey rapid strings flying everywhere.

This is apparently impossible to Google or even, ick, do a Bing for.

https://youtu.be/m3V9bHjpvzA

It's Argentinian. Boleadoras

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Another thread made me think of this. Some time around 2006-8, Cliff Bleszinski gave an interview to GamePro or EGM (or MAYBE the official Xbox mag). At the end, Cliff decided to ask a question of his own, and the article basically ended like this:

Cliffy B: "Do you have stairs in your house?"
Interviewer: "uhhh.. no?"
Cliffy B: "oh, uh, it's an internet thing. Nevermind."
(end of article)

I swear this happened and was printed in a physical magazine, but I can't find anything about it on the forums or the actual article. And unfortunately late-2000s game magazines aren't as well-archived online as older ones are.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

I have been looking for The Puzzle for years and thanks to this post I randomly found it, holy fuckin poo poo

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

wa27 posted:

Another thread made me think of this. Some time around 2006-8, Cliff Bleszinski gave an interview to GamePro or EGM (or MAYBE the official Xbox mag). At the end, Cliff decided to ask a question of his own, and the article basically ended like this:

Cliffy B: "Do you have stairs in your house?"
Interviewer: "uhhh.. no?"
Cliffy B: "oh, uh, it's an internet thing. Nevermind."
(end of article)

I swear this happened and was printed in a physical magazine, but I can't find anything about it on the forums or the actual article. And unfortunately late-2000s game magazines aren't as well-archived online as older ones are.

https://archive.org/details/electronic-gaming-monthly-issue-230-july-2008/page/68/mode/2up bottom-right corner

(via https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2897412&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=2#post345942739)

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
There was a PC game I used to play at my Dad's. I think it was something about the Tower of Bable? It was a coliseum style background. But it was about stacking blocks, like Tetris. They all had faces on them.

This would have been early to mid 90's. I was pretty young, and I've tried searching online and have no answers.

It's not the US SNES port of Tetris Attack, which is similar, but that has you against an opponent. This was a single player deal. I think it was a CD-Rom. Definitely some PC game.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Treecko posted:

There was a PC game I used to play at my Dad's. I think it was something about the Tower of Bable? It was a coliseum style background. But it was about stacking blocks, like Tetris. They all had faces on them.

This would have been early to mid 90's. I was pretty young, and I've tried searching online and have no answers.

It's not the US SNES port of Tetris Attack, which is similar, but that has you against an opponent. This was a single player deal. I think it was a CD-Rom. Definitely some PC game.

Faces...tris III

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuuTIA0pskY

I played this a lot as a kid.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Wow, getting the quote wrong and then explaining what it means. Rude

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Dr. Quarex posted:

Wow, getting the quote wrong and then explaining what it means. Rude
Yeah, that was lovely. It's a shibboleth for a reason! :mad:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Cool site. I've been trying to find the gamepro reviews for UT99 and Panzer Dragoon Orta but I don't think it has them :/

e: hey, maybe scratch pdo off that one. Maybe

Milo and POTUS fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Mar 15, 2022

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

lmao, thank you kindly. I think I was too focused on searching Gamepros when I looked a few years ago.

Haaah!

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!

TIP posted:

Faces...tris III

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuuTIA0pskY

I played this a lot as a kid.

Not quite but thanks for looking! This one was more concrete or brick kinda blocks...

I'm pretty sure Tower or Bable was in the name but I'm still at a loss.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Treecko posted:

Not quite but thanks for looking! This one was more concrete or brick kinda blocks...

I'm pretty sure Tower or Bable was in the name but I'm still at a loss.

another game about stacking blocks with faces on them? wow, I'm surprised

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

MrQwerty posted:

I have been looking for The Puzzle for years and thanks to this post I randomly found it, holy fuckin poo poo
Is that the one where there's a woman doing a jigsaw puzzle and it's a picture from behind her of her doing the puzzle?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!

TIP posted:

another game about stacking blocks with faces on them? wow, I'm surprised

I know I'm sorry. I only have the vaugest memory of it. It was fun that's all.