Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Didn't they just tap a bunch of phones and give them to the guy who ran the store? Knowing that the guy who always argues with his girlfriend was too lazy to get his phones from different shops, thus ensuring he'd bulk buy a load of tapped burners?

Nah they had a whole storefront where Lester brought them to see Massey, who sells them the tapped phones. "drat, Calvin, you know I got the bingo tonight."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

notthegoatseguy posted:

I was working in a hospital in 2006 and we all had to be trained on how to use a typewriter because certain medical records were still transcribed using them.

Government and NGOs often are way behind the times when it comes to technology.

Yeah I interned in a state government Attorney general's office in 2008 or so and there was still a typewriter that they needed to use for certain forms

to be clear, the lion's share of the work was done on computers with at the time relatively current technology, there was just a certain thing that everyone needed that typewriter for

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
One of the most important IRS software programs is built in Assembly and running off a design from the 1960s (technically I think it's running on modern hardware so it's not quite the same thing as whipping out a typewriter)

https://www.nextgov.com/it-modernization/2018/03/irs-system-processing-your-taxes-almost-60-years-old/146770/

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

How did we not get Nextel chirps in this show too?

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013

pokeyman posted:

Nah they had a whole storefront where Lester brought them to see Massey, who sells them the tapped phones. "drat, Calvin, you know I got the bingo tonight."

Wow, I have zero memory of this.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

notthegoatseguy posted:

I was working in a hospital in 2006 and we all had to be trained on how to use a typewriter because certain medical records were still transcribed using them.

Government and NGOs often are way behind the times when it comes to technology.

Hospitals still uses floppy discs and fax machines in Norway.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Well I was sold 5 seconds in when I saw Wunmi Mosaku who acted the poo poo out of her role in Lovecraft Country.

Orange Devil fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Mar 20, 2022

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Maybe I misread it here being mentioned, but why didn't they tap the public phones that they used to call from?

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

happyhippy posted:

Maybe I misread it here being mentioned, but why didn't they tap the public phones that they used to call from?

They did tap them in the first season. But Stringer got paranoid and had them ripped out.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

happyhippy posted:

They did. Herc and Carver spent all that time on rooftops confirming the targets.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

HootTheOwl posted:

They did. Herc and Carver spent all that time on rooftops confirming the targets.

This reminds me of one of the many, many, many, many, many great scenes from this show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cB1oZnDO70&t=122s

"Somebody talks, somebody gets on the wrong phone and says the wrong loving thing about what happened here tonight, WHERE THE gently caress do you want to be?"

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

christmas boots posted:

The trick is that not only would you have to tap them but you’d have to ensure that your targets specifically buy those tapped burners. I can see that being difficult to arrange outside of fiction

https://uk.pcmag.com/security/133832/fbi-sold-criminals-fake-encrypted-phones-that-actually-copied-their-messages

You say that

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Jerusalem posted:

This reminds me of one of the many, many, many, many, many great scenes from this show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cB1oZnDO70&t=122s

"Somebody talks, somebody gets on the wrong phone and says the wrong loving thing about what happened here tonight, WHERE THE gently caress do you want to be?"

hell yeah Lester has some real all-timers

this one line fundamentally changed my outlook and consequently the entire direction of my life from that point forward, for the better

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgTRPjHVrFE&t=134s

so loving good

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Official trailer for We Own This City

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ig9BcW7gXvE

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Oh now Landsman gives a poo poo.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Jon Bernthal is a great actor but man something about that guy's roles always give me a knee-jerk dislike of him, haha. I'd love to see him in a calm decent good guy role to get over my prejudice.

Show looks incredible, can't wait.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Goddamn this looks good.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Eason the Fifth posted:

Jon Bernthal is a great actor but man something about that guy's roles always give me a knee-jerk dislike of him, haha. I'd love to see him in a calm decent good guy role to get over my prejudice.

Show looks incredible, can't wait.

I know what you mean, he's very good at looking like the kind of belligerent rear end in a top hat who can snap at any moment.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Anyone want to make a thread for the series, or should we just talk about it here?

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 27 days!)

since it's not officially part of the wire cinematic universe someone should make a thread

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
We.Own.This.City.S01E06.The.Marvel.Aspect.1080p

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Eason the Fifth posted:

Anyone want to make a thread for the series, or should we just talk about it here?

:justpost:

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Goddamn this looks good.

Yeah, this looks extremely my poo poo. April 25th release I see. HBO drops their episodes weekly, right? We won't get the whole series in one drop? What's David Simon's level of involvement with this? IMDB says "program creator" and he's credited as a writer on one episode but this looks like it has The Wire written all over it so I wonder.

Very much looking forward to you inevitable awesome rewatch thread and great write ups a year and a half from now.

It came up in the Better Call Saul thread, but what's everyone's opinion on binging vs watching a show episodically and waiting a week? I personally think it depends on the show. People say that the slow drip of a week by week thing keeps the viewer engaged and gives them more time to absorb everything. I guess because of message boards and whatnot.

But for me, in shows like The Sopranos, The Wire, Better Call Saul and (to a lesser extent) Breaking Bad, I very much prefer the binge approach because I wind up loving forgetting too much. Who was who and who was doing what and what their names were. A lot of these shows will leave plot dangling and totally unaddressed from one week to the next (ESPECIALLY The Wire) so, 14 days later, unless I've been posting about it, I forget what the gently caress was going on. I think that's kind of why I checked out of Boardwalk Empire. With something like Daredevil, Stranger Things or Cobra Kai, it's easier to wait and digest it slower.

The Wire was so layered, dense and non hand holding that I felt that I HAD to watch it a second time just to pick up on everything. It's like The Godfather movies in that way. Hell, I was still picking up poo poo and connecting names to faces on my THIRD watch and being able to view consecutive episodes in one evening really helped. Others argue that they like to digest the meal and thrive on the anticipation.

TL/DR: what's everyone's opinion on binging vs watching a show episodically and waiting a week? I like being able move at my own pace

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Watching the last season of Breaking Bad and that frustration but also excitement having to wait a whole week after each banger of an episode is an experience I wouldn’t trade for anything

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 27 days!)

yeah y'know it really does add a lot, having just watched severance that way. you build up anticipation so the actual watching of each episodes becomes a lot more fun, since you haven't JUST watch 3 episodes beforehand.

it's probably something similar to spaced repetition learning. you build some grooves in your brain by coming back to it over a period of time, and get to appreciate details more.

you can still enjoy something by watching it all over a few days, but it becomes a very condensed memory where at least in my case, you end up forgetting about it entirely after a few months.

and if it's great for 7 episodes then has a disappointing ending? show's hosed. that's all you're going to remember.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
I'll wait until it's all out to watch it but I'm fine with shows coming out episodically for those who prefer it that way. People always talk up the experience of water cooler chat and watching with a community but that can hurt a show too. The first season of Westworld was the worst for me. I enjoyed the first couple episodes but the fan theorizing and speculation got so intense for that show in geek circles that I got spoiled on all of the big twists weeks before they happened. With friends, at work, on the internet, I couldn't get away from it.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I prefer binge too but I binge like 2, 3 episodes per day at most

And I also have no problem waiting for something to finish airing to watch like I want, I have a long queue of things to watch anyway

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Having to wait and shitposting in the meantime is fun. I don't stray beyond SA for this so maybe I'm spared some of the dumber poo poo (?) and people are good about spoiler tags.

Even if I'm late enough to the show that I can binge it, weekly releases means there's a thread that progressed at the time and I can follow along if I want. When episodes drop all at once, that thread never gets a chance.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

pokeyman posted:

Having to wait and shitposting in the meantime is fun. I don't stray beyond SA for this so maybe I'm spared some of the dumber poo poo (?) and people are good about spoiler tags.

Even if I'm late enough to the show that I can binge it, weekly releases means there's a thread that progressed at the time and I can follow along if I want. When episodes drop all at once, that thread never gets a chance.

Oh hey I'm not the only one that does this!

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Spotted this in another thread...
Reminded me of Beadie Russell in Season 2.
"What they need is a union."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZaVTKzFdGA
"Scabetha":lol:

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Those strippers absolutely own

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Some shows fit in with the binge watch treatment, others do better taken a week at a time. I adore Better Call Saul but on a first-time watch I think I far prefer having it be a week-to-week viewing, though when it's all done I'll probably relish binging back through it. For The Wire, I was one of those guys David Simon complained about who only really discovered it after it was done, so I had access to the whole thing and I legitimately couldn't stop myself watching it: I'd just go through episode after episode and I always wanted more forever. It took me awhile to get my hands on season 5 and that was a hard, hard wait.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

AV Club review for We Own This City

https://www.avclub.com/we-own-this-city-review-david-simon-baltimore-the-wire-1848826199

Says it's really good

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Goddamn, I was all hell yeah HBO SUNDAYS ARE BAAAACK.

nobe

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Watched the first episode this evening, really enjoyed it.

Only real complaint is the time jumps are a bit confusing if you haven't read the book/followed the case closely. Otherwise, I am quite happy with it thus far.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I enjoyed it, but it's definitely more documentary than drama. More The Corner and less The Wire. At least, that is my first impression.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Love that theme song.

AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

If at the end of a war story you feel that some tiny bit of rectitude has been salvaged from the larger waste, you have been made the victim of a very old and terrible lie

Philthy posted:

I enjoyed it, but it's definitely more documentary than drama. More The Corner and less The Wire. At least, that is my first impression.
This is a like 6-minute-in spoiler and honestly that's all I've watched but I'm gonna spoiler it anyway. But Berenthal smashing the bottle held in Bunny Colvin's magic brown paper bag is just loving choice. As far as first impressions go, holy poo poo.

Also that dude coming out of the store really reminds me of the guy who had the hosed up leg in The Corner.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Real Training Day vibes from the cinematography too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Philthy posted:

I’ve watched episode one three times today, and picked up a little bit more each time.

I know almost nothing about the real story and in the interest of drama I haven’t researched it. The time jumps did throw me off a bit on the first viewing but it’s making more sense after seeing it a couple more times.

Really, really digging this so far. It is loving grim, and Bernthal owns.

Also, although she’s only had one scene so far, it was kind of wild to see Gabrielle Carteris, who I haven’t seen since I watched 90120 about half a lifetime ago in the early 90s.