Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I don't like how the debug camera works on settlement battles, because I keep getting stuck in the floor every time I click the minimap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Oh on that note, while i haven't really experienced many bugs, i can't click on gyrocopters because the entire screen starts getting the white rotor effect. I can still technically use them but its kinda annoying.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
Another issue with sieges is that there are so many more minor settlement battles now due to autoresolve and so many settlements. Fewer field battles, too. Unrelated- but troops respond much more slowly to commands now so it really drags. I thought the fps was low at first but no, it's a new feature.

Doomykins posted:

I keep hearing this "walls make your settlement" weaker point but I've never seen it myself. There are several siege maps, walled or unwalled, where I can use a smaller force to hold 1 of up to 5 points and pull off a victory. The AI separates to take the other points from 2-3 angles, which is smart for a player or an AI, but I maximize my stalling at the one point to guarantee my towers won't go down and can shoot the enemy for the longest period of time.

Holding more points would let me have more towers up simultaneously... if I could guarantee I could hold those points in the time it takes to get the supplies and then to spend time constructing them plus the time it takes them to put out meaningful damage. So I just hold the one if the going is tough.

I've also not seen any map where "you lose one, you lose", even major cities where I cap their central point early. Meaningful buffs/debuffs, sure, but it takes a significant amount of effort to get the WH2 style "cap this point and sit on it and win the game in 2 minutes" scenario. Virtually every siege battle I'm in fights to traditional army losses and point control dictates how many towers are shooting me or them, as well as the Momentum buff for attackers.

It doesn't make the settlement weaker per se. The issue with walls in minor settlements is multi-pronged:

In order to win the player has to hold two points in a walled siege battle instead of one. This divides the player's forces and attention. Walled minor settlements often have a worse layout than those without walls. Without walls, the player can choose any one of the points to hold and pick the most defensible one.

The layout matters especially because walls are not good to fight on. Docked archers perform worse than those that are not. Firing at the enemy from walls and towers as they do a standard assault means that damage is divided between multiple enemy units. Concentrating fire on one or a few bunched up enemy units (such as those in a choke) is far superior to that.

This is because of the way leadership works. A unit taking fire and a lot of damage simultaneously causes a serious leadership debuff which then leads to wavering and running. This buys time to concentrate fire on another approaching unit OR deal even more damage to the running unit, which means they may not return and, if they have shields, means they are not blocking fire so even more damage.

In a minor settlement battle without walls, the player can more easily funnel the enemy into chokes and rain fire down on them. This also means that siege units the player has will have an easier time hitting enemy units if they are all in a line or two, perhaps even bunched up, moving toward the player's defensive position instead of spread out like if player sets up on the walls.

Walls confer a good autoresolve bonus so the enemy will siege a settlement for a several turns while draining the garrison of health. This is both realistic and somewhat helpful because it gives time for a relief army to get there and break the siege. BUT on higher difficulties, and especially with the supply lines bug, even a new lord is hugely expensive. It's even worse with the low-income factions like Nurgle. Trekking from the front to break a siege takes time. You can expect your newly-expanded borders to always be under attack but with anti-player bias, underway, beast path and Chaos Gates (unless you are on top of it with your gate-closers) even stuff in the middle of your empire can come under an annoying siege.

Without walls, even if the autoresolve gives you low odds, you have a decent chance of winning if you're skillful and/or cheesing it (which is a bit harder to do in TWWH3). Since towers can now be set up and used without them, there isn't even a need for walls to be occupied.

Lord Packinham posted:

Got to remember not to buy these games in early access, wait for the launch if you don’t want it to be so unfinished.

putting the onus on the consumer rather than the business to deliver the finished product that they promised is silly, especially when stuff is bundled specifically with pre-orders to make it cheaper in the future. Caveat emptor being the standard in America, but not everyone can know everything they need to know to make sound, rational and intelligent decisions about purchases or services.

Cranappleberry fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Mar 21, 2022

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
People can have whatever issues they want with the game, a lot of them are probably legit, but I cannot get my head around the idea that bieng unable to wait a week to see how a game shook out is somehow the fault of the game devs.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

All my campaigns have double the field battles to settlement battles, I think they did a good job with that.

where's Tiktaq'to?

This is actually my "oops I left Tzeentch alive" strategy.

e: needs one more cultist for secret achievement

Twigand Berries fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Mar 21, 2022

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

So just occupy the walls for the initial assault and pull back to a chokepoint when they start breaching?

poo poo, breaking one siege tower is equal to an entire unit and i'll usually break two by the time they reach it. I'll happily sacrifice a lovely unit of garrison horses so the rest of my army can abandon my walls and get to the important choke for the second part of the fight against a heavily hosed up enemy.

Minor settlements are usually just fine too, because you just pick a spot that has the least amount of openings and defend those with focus fire, except now you don't have to sit on the corner of the map to avoid the dumb pincer the enemy does every battle.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I fight less field battles since the AI just bails when they’re not able to absolutely crush my dudes. Launching without any mod support is my biggest issue. TWWH1 launched with a few mods made by CA, like the “resettle anywhere” mod.

Twigand Berries posted:

This is actually my "oops I left Tzeentch alive" strategy.

All according to plan

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I find that a majority of hatebases are caused by a complete inability to function without the product/IP in question while also having stark raving mad expectations. Not that WH3 didn't fly under quite a few expectations, this thread is pretty reasonable by comparison.

I see. Thanks for the insight. Perhaps I've not done enough majors to really see the problem, though I also note a total lack of inner empire aggressors outside of leaving a rift up for 5+ turns. There are a lot fewer aggressive little neutral factions that hate everybody and they're all dead by the end of the first rift set(i.e. turn order goes from 120+ to 70 and dwindling), rogue armies don't seem to spawn naturally anymore(I've seen a Chaos Prince neutral twice, ever), beastmen might spawn but get obliterated so fast they don't register, even worse than the weakest Beastmen days of WH2.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

dogstile posted:

So just occupy the walls for the initial assault and pull back to a chokepoint when they start breaching?

poo poo, breaking one siege tower is equal to an entire unit and i'll usually break two by the time they reach it. I'll happily sacrifice a lovely unit of garrison horses so the rest of my army can abandon my walls and get to the important choke for the second part of the fight against a heavily hosed up enemy.

Minor settlements are usually just fine too, because you just pick a spot that has the least amount of openings and defend those with focus fire, except now you don't have to sit on the corner of the map to avoid the dumb pincer the enemy does every battle.

I had a siege tower get shot out from under a unit of plague bearers that I was frantically trying to have exit so they were highlighted when it went and it actually was pretty fun to watch them all fall all outlined in green inside (like there is a modeled stairwell in there)

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

jokes posted:

I fight less field battles since the AI just bails when they’re not able to absolutely crush my dudes. Launching without any mod support is my biggest issue. TWWH1 launched with a few mods made by CA, like the “resettle anywhere” mod.

I have embraced these movie mods. I have them all on my desktop in little groups based on what they do and all I do is just drop them into data and launch campaign. They've got the basic QoL mods covered in that discord as well as some people doing some more ambitious stuff. I went through a period where I was shutting off the chaos realms, but I really feel like the pacing of this game improves with them implemented in so I stopped. Once you've got them down they are just gold pinatas. Like my LL makes more money in 5-8 turns with a possible sit in the corner until you're uncorrupted time at the end than they ever managed in like 20 turns in Warhammer 2. And it's all field battles versus repeated sacking of settlements in 2. For shaking things up, there's a change starting settlement movie mod. My screenshot above was Nurgle starting down in the lizard island. Grandfather's Yacht Club. I'm so glad we can rename faction.

Hey, you can rename your faction in case you've missed it everybody.

Twigand Berries fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Mar 21, 2022

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Twigand Berries posted:

Hey, you can rename your faction in case you've missed it everybody.

How? Gotta play as Pontus.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Ravenfood posted:

How? Gotta play as Pontus.

The button up top right, the faction button. Then down right for rename button.

Today someone dropped a mod allowing diplomacy between all factions (no chaos auto war)

Twigand Berries fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Mar 21, 2022

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

dogstile posted:

Leaving a few units on the walls at maximum width (which is 1 model deep on walls, I think) and pulling them back once the enemies are about to reach the walls works quite well, yes. But you still have the problem of needing to hold two specific points, rather than one of your choice. And one or both of those is sometimes not very defensible, whether due to the enemy having a lot of directions to attack it from, no towers, poorly placed towers that are obstructed most of the time, etc.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Twigand Berries posted:

Today someone dropped a mod allowing diplomacy between all factions (no chaos auto war)

I am into it. Warhammer’s end goal is the United Nations establishing a lasting peace, lol.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Staltran posted:

Leaving a few units on the walls at maximum width (which is 1 model deep on walls, I think) and pulling them back once the enemies are about to reach the walls works quite well, yes. But you still have the problem of needing to hold two specific points, rather than one of your choice. And one or both of those is sometimes not very defensible, whether due to the enemy having a lot of directions to attack it from, no towers, poorly placed towers that are obstructed most of the time, etc.

Yes.

There are things they could do to improve sieges by making it vastly harder and costly to assault the walls without siege units or equipment. Then, perhaps, even the player might consider starving out the enemy instead of risking a siege. Or take the time to build equipment or have a hero attempt to breach the walls. This, however, would also slow down the pace of the game immensely and lead to less battles being fought overall.

I'm not advocating for that, just saying that they could have big beautiful sexy walls that are hard to breach with machicolations and portholes through which to dump oil or gas or small explosives. Maybe certain factions could have tunneling units.

jokes posted:

This is part of it, along with the other stuff I mentioned. You can use movement bugs to catch them. I think there are two. Also, Kislev doesn't have a hero with block movement or increase movement range.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Does anyone have a link to the mod that switches off chaos rifts? There was one I saw somewhere that had a UI element that you could turn on or off at the start of a campaign.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

GUIDE TO MOVIE MODS UNTIL WE GET NORMAL MODS

I just want goons to enjoy game and after discovering how easy the movie mods are I thought I'd write up in detail how to simply use them (most of them, a couple seem to be tweakable)
I'll try to keep it updated as to what's in there (I'll just list them in the order they are in the channel as that's the only way I know to find them)

First off, go here: https://discord.gg/moddingden

then go down to the channel "mods_repository_useatyourownrisk!!!" and I suppose you are indeed downloading mystery files from the internet but it's to a bunch of computer nerds so like maybe if it's still there after a day it's not gonna watch you masturbate. Also you will recognize a lot of names from the workshop.
And that's them, they have little discussions in them with people ironing out bugs, descriptions, etc. So you download the pack file and I just move them onto my desktop. They are all named AAA_something something. You go to steam library, right click tww3 go to manage ==> browse local files.
Right at the top is the data folder. You just drop the AAA pack files into that folder. To remove the mod, go into data they are all near the top (AAA_etc) and just put it back on your desktop. If you want to use a more complicated mod, please feel free to learn that on your own!

Mods So Far (In order in channel/author is listed in the channel so I don't feel the need to state it here, just what's on offer)(order might change based on discussions idk sorry)

- A group of 3 in one file (I just pulled them out and use them separately) -supply lines fix -A fix for "corrupted by" traits -A fix for the Slaanesh tech
- One that disables the rifts and realms
- Demon Prince Buff
- Removes attrition from besieged Bastions
- High Resolution UI improvements
- Skip Intro Logos
- Buffs to LL defeated traits
- Randomizes all character names (so like starting heroes aren't always the same, this also changes LL names)
- Loose Unit Spacing (guess he had this in 2 as well)
- Some tech modifications for some of the factions
- Victory Conditions Overhaul
- Nurgle Faction Buff
- A mod Cataph made that I think clears up some wording on army effects?
- Force autoresolve off unless very high or very low
- Modding tool
- Multiple change mod (camera changes, campaign buffs)
- Fix for Demon Prince Glory Rewards glitching out
- Big boost to Winds of Magic
- More in depth changing of Demon Prince items
- Cloud of Flies for Forsaken of Nurgle
- I think one turn building upgrades?
- Gives Demon Prince Belakor's stat line
- Changes the army abilities of the various chaos agents so all of your agents as the Demon Prince aren't training ugh
- Kostatyn overhaul
- Fanmade Kislev unit
- easy confederations
- big battle overhaul
- bunch of mods in a thread that do things like reduce upkeep, mess with regen cap, etc
- diplomacy malus shortener
- heavens and death ogres oh my!
- Nurgle tweaks
- graphical reskins of various chaos warriors
- climate mod
- another climate mod
- Realms of Chaos Toggle (you can just leave this in your data, it's a toggle while setting up your campaign. Sandbox away.)
- Kislev overhaul
- combat tweaks
- better camera mod
- Harmony rebalance
- To further make Demons of Chaos ridiculous (and after battle choices meaningful after you've maxed favor) it adds flavorful choices to the flavor buttons. flavor. Replenishment for nurgle, movement for slaanesh, etc.
- Cathay unit mod
- formation attack adds plus 10 MD (cathay)
- change starting settlement (you have to autoresolve your first battle, a loading screen breaks it, so auto resolve your baby's first battle, get your hero, click button (top left) and go whereever you'd like hero comes with. borks your starting province quest but not a big deal, can be like your end game goal)
- allegiance rework
- Cathay tweaks
- makes minor settlement battles into field battles (tweakable percentage)
- XP buff
- Graphical for Greasus faction colors
- makes survival battle auto resolve always very favorable
- climate mod
- exalted flamer/burning chariot ammo buffs
- turn off enemy agent actions (i haven't bothered, i feel like a man now, dad!)
- doubles acceleration and turn rate (seems to break death's head rot flies)
- Skills Overhaul for Chaos
- Faster end turn camera
- leadbelcher audio
- skill points mod (up higher for Lords (but slows) but stops at 45 for heroes, i think some heroes don't have 50 options)
- nerfs march stance
- takes formation attack completely away
- quests no longer sticky THIS IS MY FAVORITE MOD
- no supply lines
- console commands
- army compositions mod
- chaos warriors for tzeentch
- more landmarks mod
- beta mod for removing all heroes entirely
- super channeling stance
- a modular mod that lets you mod your mod, my mod
- big rework of chaos realm operations, turns it off, makes it re enterable, etc
- easy agents (100 limit, instant recruit except ice court of course)
- sky lantern 360 degree arc
- enables diplomacy between all factions including chaos and mortal
- Negates AI attrition resistance (this is going to absolutely murder the AI if rifts are active)
- Jade Lancer buff
- Different faction colors for the Demon Prince that are designed around the various gods. Blue/Green/Red/and Purple??? Don't be afraid of pink!
- Garrison mod (Different buildings add to garrisons/stronger garrisons)
- Faction debuffs when a faction leader is killed mod

edit: This isn't like steam workshop of course, so if the author updates the mod you have to go physically get the update so you have to treat your mods like a garden and pay a little attention I guess.
e2: Also the last patch happened with these things swimming in my data and nothing happened so they seem to have kept them pretty separate from the meat

Twigand Berries fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Mar 23, 2022

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

why are they called Movie Mods?

are they extra cinematic?

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

They are so easy to use that I have absolutely no idea!

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

If I'm not mistaken, it's because modding hasn't officially opened up, and the toolkit that would normally allow you to package them up into their own distinct thing isn't available. They've adapted community tools from the previous games that allow them to edit various things, and save the files as a "movie" .pack to get the game to load it (otherwise, right now, it would just ignore them). I'm probably wrong about a lot/all of that, though.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Gonkish posted:

If I'm not mistaken, it's because modding hasn't officially opened up, and the toolkit that would normally allow you to package them up into their own distinct thing isn't available. They've adapted community tools from the previous games that allow them to edit various things, and save the files as a "movie" .pack to get the game to load it (otherwise, right now, it would just ignore them). I'm probably wrong about a lot/all of that, though.

No that's exactly it.

RVT
Nov 5, 2003

Twigand Berries posted:

Heyo, nice. Any idea if it works in multiplayer?

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
A mod only work in multiplayer if all parties have the mod.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

RVT posted:

Heyo, nice. Any idea if it works in multiplayer?

Someone is testing it today!

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

dogstile posted:

Oh yeah, absolutely.

Xcom had a goon streamer, Beagle. Now Beagle was really good at Xcom and kept breaking it over his knee, doing things like overwatch creeping and other strats to beat the game on the hardest difficulties. This lead to the designers looking at this and adding incentives (in xcom 1, it was called meld, a resource that would expire if you didn't get to it fast enough).

Xcom 2 rolled around and meld hadn't made a change in how people played, which was due to you getting it if you cleared the map early enough (which would happen often enough because sometimes enemies would patrol near spawn and you don't have to clear the map, just the enemies) and the bonuses not being good enough to justify the risk. Instead of doing that, they gave a conceal mechanic and gave almost every mission a "timer" to make people move faster. I don't particularly mind this, but I do miss being able to take things at my own pace occasionally.

The conceal mechanic is cool, enemies patrol on their turn and you can try to set up and do an ambush once per mission. Beagle noticed that if the enemies saw you, they'd move to cover and you'd play another turn. He ended up playing every level by setting up an "overwatch trap" (which is a held fire turn, you fire at enemies who move during their turn in that units sightlines) and then placing a unit purposely out of cover to trigger it. He'd then effectively get two turns of fire, one via the overwatch trap and then one normal turn.

The dev's saw this and added a "enemies might randomly fire at your trooper mechanic" to discourage this, but considering this is xcom, that means being out of cover opens you up to incredibly easy shots/crits. This basically means on higher difficulties than easy you can't make that mistake, because the likelyhood is they're just going to kill a dude in one turn.

It's just an exercise in making the game harder for the general public because one dude is trying to play the game and break it as hard as he possibly can, whereas the vast majority of people will never do that.

the overwatch traps were dumb as hell, it was good to remove them

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

babypolis posted:

the overwatch traps were dumb as hell, it was good to remove them

Isn't this using a decoy to bait the enemy into a bad move? That's not exploiting mechanics so much as using tactics in general. The risk is they just kill the decoy and modern X Coms have pretty tight team limits to be having a dude on suicide duty.

So I'd usually have a tanky character do it and pray. :xcom:

Games can get really grating to play if you strive, as the developer putting forth the challenge, to keep the enemy from ever making mistakes. Hell, see the AI in Warham never looking for a fight it hasn't already calculated it can AR win and force marching around provinces looking for settlements to snipe. WH2/3 could really use a few simple AI profiles randomly given to generic non-LLs like "coward" "aggressive" "sneaky" and so on.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Doomykins posted:

Isn't this using a decoy to bait the enemy into a bad move? That's not exploiting mechanics so much as using tactics in general. The risk is they just kill the decoy and modern X Coms have pretty tight team limits to be having a dude on suicide duty.

So I'd usually have a tanky character do it and pray. :xcom:

Games can get really grating to play if you strive, as the developer putting forth the challenge, to keep the enemy from ever making mistakes. Hell, see the AI in Warham never looking for a fight it hasn't already calculated it can AR win and force marching around provinces looking for settlements to snipe. WH2/3 could really use a few simple AI profiles randomly given to generic non-LLs like "coward" "aggressive" "sneaky" and so on.

the thing was that the "decoy" was never actually in danger, since the enemies would activate, move into position, and pass the turn. It was basically a free turn of firing on them and it was way too easy to set up

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Ahhh that's messed up. They should fire on the decoy at least, make it a fun give and take, a lil risk/reward.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Doomykins posted:

Ahhh that's messed up. They should fire on the decoy at least, make it a fun give and take, a lil risk/reward.

That's almost literally what they did to fix it. They made it so the enemies might open fire instead of scattering wildly and getting mowed down by your trap, so overwatch traps were risky but potentially rewarding.

I'll never understand people complaining about the "anti-Beagle" measures they took because the pre-fix Beagle playstyle was incredibly boring.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Twigand Berries posted:

GUIDE TO MOVIE MODS UNTIL WE GET NORMAL MODS

First off, go here: https://discord.gg/moddingden

Discord channel "mods_repository_atyourownrisk

Go to steam library, right click tww3; go to manage ==> browse local files.
At the top is the data folder.
Drop the AAA pack files into that folder.
To remove the mod, go into data they are all near the top (AAA_etc) and just put it back on your desktop.

Mod Search Terms:
- Minor Settlement Field Battles (Johnnydue on 3/16/22) "aaa_movie_minor_land_battle"
- Disable Rifts (Mixu on 2/28/22) "aaaaaaaa_movie_disable_realms"

Awesome post, thank you! I trimmed it to the two I want so I can reference it again after my reinstallation of hams 3 is complete. Will report back if both mods work at the same time.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Be mindful that movie packs are ALWAYS active, even if whatever mod manager you use enables you to toggle them. So once actual mods release make sure to delete them all

A Perfect Twist
Aug 15, 2007

"What have I done? I'll have to start again. To forget and to disappear. I'll head north, far-north, to that big question mark, the Northern Territory"

Kanos posted:

That's almost literally what they did to fix it. They made it so the enemies might open fire instead of scattering wildly and getting mowed down by your trap, so overwatch traps were risky but potentially rewarding.

I'll never understand people complaining about the "anti-Beagle" measures they took because the pre-fix Beagle playstyle was incredibly boring.

XCOM is game that prides itself on its difficulty so it was right to address such an easy exploit. Most of the grognards playing that game migrated to the Long War 2 overhaul mod long ago which keeps them cordoned off a bit. I don't know why playing perfectly optimal all the time to secure tedious upgrades rings their bells but to each their own.

Firaxis found ways to liven up the formula a bit eventually. You can still do overwatch creep on maps without timers or after the objective is captured. There's also that faction order that makes it so the timer doesn't start until you reveal. It's still very much about getting the first strike in combat and then minimising risk. Chimera Squad had a few nifty ideas that should translate when they finally they release a new mainline game in the series.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

How can the Bastion incur attrition while it’s besieged? That’s really stupid

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Doomykins posted:

One thing I've found really refreshing, lame as it is, is that the enemy will sometimes offer fights that AR says they'll lose. I think this was most common with Khorne rebels, which makes total sense, but I think I've had it happen with other factions.

Yes, most of the time they're in forced march just out of my attack range... but sometimes!!

A Perfect Twist posted:

Firaxis found ways to liven up the formula a bit eventually. You can still do overwatch creep on maps without timers or after the objective is captured. There's also that faction order that makes it so the timer doesn't start until you reveal.

And an advanced difficulty option to double the length of all timers. That game actually had pretty good granular difficulty controls.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I disagree that minor settlements with walls are harder to defend than unwalled settlements:

-Unwalled settlements can have a lot of approaches and you are typically outnumbered. So one flank gets rolled then it's game over.

-Walled settlements compel the AI to build battering rams and siege towers. This detail got kind of overlooked, because some units will be much slower with a ram or tower which buys you time.

-Enemy Chariots and cavalry cannot scale walls and will just derp around until there is a breach vs bumrushing paths to bulldoze through blockers.

-Docked archers have a significantly better field of fire and elevation. They can also damage siege towers now. Every destroyed siege tower knocks 80% off the hp of the unit and strands it outside the walls. Even when breached you can reverse position of archers to fire at enemies in your base. Archers docked on walls CANNOT BE TARGETED by units that cannot go on walls and only giants and ogres can damage the wall sections directly.

-Walls give you wall towers and the Al really doesn't go out of its way to avoid them. They're less generous about wall towers in minor settlements in WH3 but even still a pair of them by themselves can knock down one tower ; add archers to the mix and some expendible cavalry to slow down the towers and you can take out two or three.

-Scaling walls drains stamina and forces enemies to attack in sporadic waves. Units like spear kossars can hold on pretty well when they can 3 vs 1 an enemy that hops up onto the wall.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Panfilo posted:

-Walled settlements compel the AI to build battering rams and siege towers. This detail got kind of overlooked, because some units will be much slower with a ram or tower which buys you time.

This causes them to take turns sieging the settlement which is both boring and will annihilate your garrison due to contrition. The AI will spend ALL of its build points on siege equipment which means typically they're gonna take 6-8 turns before they will attack. 6-8 turns worth of attrition is not good. It's very not good. One might even call it unideal.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Started up a Daemons of chaos game with diplomacy modded in and aversion lowered. I'm best buds with Kostaltyn and Todbringer as we try to save the old world from Ogres and the filthy Ice Court

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

jokes posted:

How can the Bastion incur attrition while it’s besieged? That’s really stupid

Yeah that's pretty much one of the first things I saw in this game (even before the Rifts) and I was just taken aback by it existing.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
The fact that those types of forts both in 2 and 3 can even be besieged/encircled is stupid. Doing so makes them not block movement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Oh man, Xcom

Why is there no Xcom 3 yet? Why did you have to remind me that there's no Xcom 3 yet :mad: