Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

dog nougat posted:

It's more that they have made basically zero effort to fix the broke-rear end game. Like I expect battlefield to be kinda janky and weird, but it's been over 4 months since release and the game is still bland as gently caress, has none of the promised content, or even anything close to what was teased.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-ZtzBNiozw

Watching this video made me realize what felt "off" about the Condor to me. The thing just moves through the air, if that makes sense. There is no sense of lift or even meaningful speed.

I can't quite articulate it better but hopefully someone sees what I'm getting at. It feels so flat, so unreal, so half assed (the condor and the game as a whole)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Beastie posted:

Watching this video made me realize what felt "off" about the Condor to me. The thing just moves through the air, if that makes sense. There is no sense of lift or even meaningful speed.

I can't quite articulate it better but hopefully someone sees what I'm getting at. It feels so flat, so unreal, so half assed (the condor and the game as a whole)

Yes it has a very obvious “this isn’t interacting with the game world or any kind of system” feel

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Tiny Timbs posted:

Yes it has a very obvious “this isn’t interacting with the game world or any kind of system” feel

It's the star citizen flight model vs the Arma one.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Thirsty Dog posted:

It's the star citizen flight model vs the Arma one.

BF2042: War Citizen

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Lifespan posted:

Wait, you spent over 60 hours on a game you dislike? And you're mad that you spent money on a game that you got 60 hours of playtime from?

Nah, at the start I was enjoying it more. It was new and figuring out the new maps and weapons and vehicles was cool and helped to offset some of the jank and design that nobody likes. As time went on I started getting bored, but kept trying to play it to justify the money spent and then took a break for a few months. Came back to it over the weekend, tried for I dunno 5 or 6 hours to enjoy it over three days and make sure I hit all the maps, but it just didn't click.

I'm not mad I spent money on it (that's just how it works out sometimes). There are only two game franchises I've pre-ordered over the years and it's the X games from Egosoft and Battlefield. I think it's just going to be the X games now.

Like others have said, it seems to be getting worse in retrospect, especially after going back to BF1.

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Mar 22, 2022

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

Once the novelty wore off there was nothing left

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

St_Ides posted:

My favourite all time glitch was the frag rounds on one of the shotguns being super powerful for like a month. I abused it so much to get my KDR ratio back in to the positives.

Thirsty Dog posted:

The USAS with frags was a monster for a while but they did patch it
Speaking of...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAHGCGnjamE

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

hello internet posted:

Once the novelty wore off there was nothing left

This is like the epitaph of everything post .... 2016?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

ZeusCannon posted:

That statement applies to 90% of human existence

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

huh, that's the most fun 2042 has ever looked to me

he's probably right that a low grav mode with that gun would be good early 2000's fps fun

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLfmwx5lR3A

ZeusCannon posted:

R6 Siege lasted a good long time because in all that time nothing dared match it's small scale destruction and hell it's still getting updates now that Ubi is done making a weird coop spinoff game with aliens.

Battlefield remains unchallenged for large scale destruction but it is anathema for EA to even consider supporting a single game for that long, AND they also refuse to actually advance destruction in any meaningful way.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
I don't think I ever went to that building at the top of the cliff on the ice map before I stopped playing. "Outlook Station"? Maybe it was more important in a different game mode.

Or the solar panels on Renewal, seeing as there was no reason to go past the station in the middle where the objective was.

I'm half-tempted to boot up the game and see what I missed but at this point I don't want to ruin my not-played streak.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

dog nougat posted:

This is honestly worse than cyberpunk's release,

cyberpunk is a good game
it was not really compatible with old gen but in nextgen was great
ignore what the internet have to say about the game

bf42 missed the mark and is bad in areas where bf used to excel

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Tei posted:

cyberpunk is a good game
it was not really compatible with old gen but in nextgen was great
ignore what the internet have to say about the game

bf42 missed the mark and is bad in areas where bf used to excel

Cyberpunk on PC was had some pretty bad bugs at launch that got fixed within a few weeks. It's major problem was that the developers saw hype building and decided to add fuel to that fire. CDPR was over ambitious and were advertising systems and functions that just don't exist in the game.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

jisforjosh posted:

Cyberpunk on PC was had some pretty bad bugs at launch that got fixed within a few weeks. It's major problem was that the developers saw hype building and decided to add fuel to that fire. CDPR was over ambitious and were advertising systems and functions that just don't exist in the game.

The bugs were not the problem. The game was missing some important features that were showcased in gameplay trailers, or were common in other open world games like GTA 5.

Charles 1998 fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Mar 23, 2022

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Just hit level S001. I saw somebody that was a level S264. That's just insane.

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

CornHolio posted:

Just hit level S001. I saw somebody that was a level S264. That's just insane.

I'm pretty sure there were dingdongs higher than that months ago. Also another thing they never got around to was releasing the stats api, they left sites like this hanging https://battlefieldtracker.com/bf2042

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
I imagine a stats api could give third parties an idea of player count outside of steam, and that's probably not an attractive concept for DICE atm

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Seeing rumor that the next BF game is due next year, in case anyone thought they would fix 2042 instead of kicking it to the curb lol

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
That would be amazing, imagine the meltdowns.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

henpod posted:

That would be amazing, imagine the meltdowns.

From who? Who in their right mind actually thinks the games gonna be turned around?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Mordja posted:

Seeing rumor that the next BF game is due next year, in case anyone thought they would fix 2042 instead of kicking it to the curb lol

Rumor also says DICE is applying lessons learned from 2042, which should go well since 2042 did such a great job applying the lessons learned from V.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

People who bought the ultimate edition, of course! :v:

:smith:

quote:

Who in their right mind actually thinks the games gonna be turned around?

I had faith initially because what Battlefield hasn't been a dumpsterfire at launch? Then they delayed the first season....and then they did it again....and then the anemic patches started arriving with that big "The path going forward/we hear you" article that screamed Anthem 2.0.

I fully expect the first season to be cancelled at this point, maybe we'll get one new map, maybe 1 operator (maybe all 4 if they were finished prior to launch, which they might have been?).

But yeah, pretty sure its done.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Mordja posted:

Drake No: "BF" in this context means "Battlefield"

Drake Yes: "BF" in this context means "Battlefront"

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

If they wanted to restore some faith they could probably make a token effort like giving out older titles to people who bought 2042 to get the good feelings going.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
I thought 2042 was going to be THE platform for future content. I thought that was the whole loving point of Portal. I thought that was the whole loving point of delivering content via seasons

God damnit DICE you ab-so-lutely hosed this up

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Propaganda Hour posted:

I thought 2042 was going to be THE platform for future content. I thought that was the whole loving point of Portal. I thought that was the whole loving point of delivering content via seasons

Have to waste man hours reinventing the wheel to scrap it entirely every release

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Propaganda Hour posted:

tbh even if that was the original plan AND they were actually going to use it as the platform for future content technically, I think word of mouth + lack of player retention etc. means it would make way more sense to rebrand/relaunch it with a new title (that integrates 2042 stuff as legacy) to try to get a fresh start rather than get people to re-evaluate 2042

if, for some crazy reason, you insisted on building off what's there, just make Battlefield Portal the main brand (potentially giving people FtP/low cost access to some parts of it) and then recast 2042 as simply the first (and flawed, but we've totes learned and are doing better!) major iteration of its unification of all things Battlefield or w/e

(of course that's assuming that wasn't entirely marketing BS, with Portal being a late and unfortunately somewhat underbaked addition, etc.)

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I would not be surprised if Portal doesn't make it into the next game in any form

They will definitely be sinking a ton of resources into some other half-baked game mode that nobody will play past the first day, though

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Step one, don’t release the next one only a year later

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

It’s like the people working on this never played or understood what made the previous/classic games so great.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Chronojam posted:

If they wanted to restore some faith they could probably make a token effort like giving out older titles to people who bought 2042 to get the good feelings going.

Those were free several times in the past already, anyine remotely interested has them all plus dlcs.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Hopper posted:

Those were free several times in the past already, anyine remotely interested has them all plus dlcs.

also what would that accomplish at this point in time? it'll be quite a while until 2042 is fixed (if ever) and whatever limited goodwill you'd earn in a fallow period will fade and it's not going to do much to boost player retention absent other changes

even if you think you've got some good low cost BF goodies 2042 owners don't already possess, far better to save them to coincide with a DLC hail mary or the next title

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Hopper posted:

I don't, I'd still like them, especially on steam, because I have half of them on origin.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2miE1xMet8c

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
The lesson learned from V and 2042 is that there is a sucker born every minute

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

BR mode when?

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
From my understanding Ripple Effect is still responsible for Portal content so there’s two studios who haven’t managed to churn out anything for this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://twitter.com/PoorlyAgedStuff/status/1507154443007102983