Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
non-Americans wonder why we’re so intense because they don’t realize the grim calculations going on in our heads 24/7

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HawaiinYeti
Mar 12, 2005

All right, all right. Knock it off. We tried. Whatever.
Grimey Drawer

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

well that's a load of poo poo

The general thing you do is say "I can pay $30 a month" and just get on that forever, and it doesn't impact your credit score as long as you pay that thirty bucks a month

Yeah, this is the way to do it. My mom ended up with ~10k in medical debt after going through open heart surgery to remove a myxoma (Full bill before insurance was ~300k) and the company settled with her paying $25 a month. All she could do was shrug and resign herself to eventually dying with a huge medical debt still technically owed. That’s going to be fun to deal with at some point.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
The American Dream is to die with the kind of debt that just goes unpaid instead of financially ruining your family.

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

Rick posted:

I had a lawyer who bought my crown debt (which I stopped paying because I was unemployed for a year) in Phoenix, this motherfucker drove down to Tucson himself to serve me. When he eventually won the judgement, went directly to my job to give them the garnishment papers (luckily I wasn't there just for how awkward that would be). But the dude actually made a math mistake on the garnishment paperwork (I guess in his defense it was a non-standard garnishment because for some reason even without me saying anything in my defense the judge set a lower % he was allowed to take than usual), so after the garnishment period he set and had approved, I actually still owed $13.57 because he filled the paperwork out wrong (I actually noticed it was wrong when he filed it). Dude actually spent like six months going back and forth with the court apparently (without talking to me, i would've just mailed him a $20 to get off my back) to get an additional garnishment for that $13.57, which he apparently tried and failed to charge interest on.

I don't know why dude cared so much. All this for what was probably a profit of maybe $1,500 for almost a year of work, if that.

PS both crowns broke before that last $13.57 and I spent a good portion of my stimulus money getting them replaced in Mexico.

That’s what you’d call the American equivalent of ideological fervor, I guess. I’ve found more money than that on the ground since new years and I basically only exist on about two city blocks, but I’m sure he saw it as some principled stand against the forces of evil to make sure that every penny owed was accounted for. If he cuts you a break and doesn’t waste a bunch of potentially productive hours over a laughably small amount of money that isn’t worth his time to not write off, he’d have to do that for everyone, and that way lies chaos.

It reminds me of the landlords that were trying to evict people for not paying rent after the rental assistance programs made the landlords whole. It’s not about the money, it’s about the preservation of the way things are supposed to work. It’s an attack on the social order and their place within it when somebody isn’t suffering the correct amount, the money is immaterial, it’s about the principle of the thing. Better that a rental property sit empty for six months generating no money than for it to be occupied by a person who wasn’t personally cutting out their pound of flesh at the contractually obligated intervals. Better to burn a hundred hours of your own time that could be spent making money than to let somebody get away with two hours of the federal minimum wage.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Checking my marketplace options

lol

I have worked for both of these companies so I guess it's only fair

As a non-merican thank you for posting this, we never get to see poo poo like this, i know what "the marketplace" is but never a screenshot

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I just found a comment I wrote in 2018 about the possibility of a pandemic: "It will kill 300,000 children every year in the United States. It won't be the apocalypse, it will just make life shorter and shittier for a large number of people."

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

https://twitter.com/Natasha_KC1/status/1506990037744988161?t=7fX-0YLfMtHqHvPU4A0kMQ&s=19

Everything is a-ok

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

^^^lmao

Captain Magic posted:

I hate all the school arguments because they are *right* that our school shutdowns suck, in the same way that losing weight by eating a poo poo load of crappy processed diet foods is a dumb way to live healthy: just because society says it’s “the process” doesn’t make it the process that works when people are talking about mitigating harm

school shutdowns with paying parents to stay home to stop transmission cold would work beautifully in tandem with other lockdowns, would have solved this whole stupid loving problem in like 90 days once upon a time

“how can these children recover from a year of lost education???” is never ever ever ever once not loving ever once put honestly alongside “how will children recover from long term viral damage, death, the same to their peers, teachers, administration, and families?”

You can make up for lost time in education in a dozen different ways; you can’t reteach the love of a dead mother or the benefit of not having type 1 diabetes when you’re loving six
:hai:

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
Jesus Christ.

At least two of those are Omicron, maybe all three.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Nocturtle posted:

Nice new thread OP!

Sorry in advance for the lengthy post. I've been summarizing PASC research studies for my own understanding and previously posted my notes in the old thread but thought worth posting here too in case it's of interest. Please let me know if you're aware of any large scale PASC study not included here, I'd be interested in learning more.

TLDR: long-term COVID impacts ie "long COVID" or "Post-Acute Sequelae of SARs-COV-2 infection" (PASC) affects ~10-30% of people with symptomatic infections. >1%-10% of COVID infections result in “significant” long term impacts, with large uncertainties in actual rates but these are likely lower bounds. Vaccines did not protect against all PASC conditions (estimates vary between 50% reduction to no protection).
good poo poo on rounding all this up, and thanks OP for putting it in the OP

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nocturtle posted:

Nice new thread OP!

Sorry in advance for the lengthy post. I've been summarizing PASC research studies for my own understanding and previously posted my notes in the old thread but thought worth posting here too in case it's of interest. Please let me know if you're aware of any large scale PASC study not included here, I'd be interested in learning more.

TLDR: long-term COVID impacts ie "long COVID" or "Post-Acute Sequelae of SARs-COV-2 infection" (PASC) affects ~10-30% of people with symptomatic infections. >1%-10% of COVID infections result in “significant” long term impacts, with large uncertainties in actual rates but these are likely lower bounds. Vaccines did not protect against all PASC conditions (estimates vary between 50% reduction to no protection).

PASC overview
-PASC encompasses a range of conditions that might occur after a COVID infection
-conditions include cardiovascular, neurological and immune disorders
https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fmicb.2021.698169/full
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2022/02/19/science/long-covid-causes.html
-PASC rate post-infection highly uncertain, estimates vary between 10%-30% at ~6 months
-the impact of potentially relevant factors like vaccination also have large uncertainties
-several large scale studies and labor force analyses attempt to evaluate PASC rate, severity
-PASC isn’t COVID mortality, mortality is better understood and effectively reduced with vaccines

PASC rate estimates from major studies
-focus here on PASC rates for mild cases in <65 year olds where possible
-ideally account for vaccination impact, most large completed studies done pre-vaccine

Post-acute symptoms, new onset diagnoses and health problems 6 to 12 months after SARS-CoV-2 infection: a nationwide questionnaire study in the adult Danish population
-large scale study, 152880 participants, evaluated at 6-12 months, pre-vaccine availability
-long-term symptoms maximal for 30-60 year old
-”significant” post-infection symptoms:
-~40% risk of physical exhaustion, 35% risk of mental exhaustion
-~28% chance of memory and concentration issues
-~8% fatigue

Long COVID in a prospective cohort of home-isolated patients
-followed 312 home-isolated (non-hospitalized) Norwegian patients from the early pandemic
-52% (32/61) of home-isolated young adults, aged 16–30 years, had symptoms at 6 months
-impaired concentration (13%, 8/61)
-memory problems (11%, 7/61)
-fatigue (21%, 13/61)

Physical, psychological and cognitive profile of post-COVID condition in healthcare workers, Quebec, Canada
-~6000 COVID positive HCWs in Quebec between July 2020 and May 2021 pre-vaccines
-had controls, claims less bias than similar studies because participants recruited pre-COVID
~40% reported at least one post-infection symptom at 12 weeks
-10-20% described at least one “severe” post-infection symptom, did not decrease with time
-cognitive dysfunction ~15% at 25 weeks
-fatigue ~25% at 25 weeks

Incidence, co-occurrence, and evolution of long-COVID features: A 6-month retrospective cohort study of 273,618 survivors of COVID-19
-analyzed health records of 81 million US patients, idenitified 273000 COVID cases
-cases would have been for people that sought treatment, so worse than overall population
-fatigue/malaise (12.82%; 5.87%
-cognitive symptoms (7.88%; 3.95%),

Prevalence, determinants, and impact on general health and working capacity of post-acute sequelae of COVID-19 six to 12 months after infection: a population-based retrospective cohort study from southern Germany
-persons aged 18-65 years with PCR confirmed infection between Oct 2020 and March 2021
-11,710 subjects, reported symptom rates before, during infection and at later time
-neurocognitive impairment (PD 31.3%)
-fatigue (PD 37.2%)

Persistence, prevalence, and polymorphism of sequelae after COVID-19 in young adults
-501 participants, median age of 21 years (range 19-29)
-compared 177 COVID cases after 6 months with controls, recent infection, asmptomatics
-found a significant trend towards metabolic disorders, higher Body Mass Index (BMI) (p=0.03), lower aerobic threshold (p=0.007), higher blood cholesterol (p<0.001) and low-density lipoprotein LDL levels
-there were no significant differences in psychosocial questionnaire scores

Long-term cardiovascular outcomes of COVID-19
-157000 VA patients, predominantly older white males
-also includes contemporary and historical control groups
-study period 2020-2021, pre-vaccine
-4.5% elevated risk of any cardiovascular outcome in entire cohort
-roughly 2.5% elevated risk of any cardiovascular outcome for mild cases

Risks and burdens of incident diabetes in long COVID: a cohort study
-181280 participants with COVID-19 between March 1, 2020, and Sept 30, 2021
-note average participant age of ~61 years old
-had contemporary and historical control
-people with COVID-19 had increased risk (HR 1.40, 95% CI 1.36–1.44) of diabetes
-excess burden (13.46, 95% CI 12.11–14.84, per 1000 people at 12 months) of diabetes ie roughly ~1% of cases
-Risks and burdens increased according to the severity of the acute phase of COVID-19

Six-month sequelae of post-vaccination SARS-CoV-2 infection: a retrospective cohort study of 10,024 breakthrough infections
-10024 vaccinated individuals, 9479 matched against unvaccinated controls
-no uninfected control group
-evaluated pre-Omicron
-this study is focused on evaluating difference in long-term outcomes between vaccinated vs unvaccinated and not so much the absolute rates
-two doses of vaccine had no impact on “long-COVID” features, several other disorders

Presence of Symptoms 6 Weeks After COVID-19 Among Vaccinated and Unvaccinated U.S. Healthcare Personnel
-participants had COVID-19 with either verified mRNA vaccination or no vaccination
-among 681 eligible participants, 419 (61%) completed survey ~6 weeks after illness onset
-~71% reported one or more COVID-like symptoms 6 weeks after illness onset
-lower prevalence of long-term symptoms among vaccinated participants
-fatigue ~30%
-cognitive symptoms: 25%

Indirect PASC impacts from labor statistics

Is ‘long Covid’ worsening the labor shortage?
-assumes ~100 million workers infected by Oct 2021
-roughly estimates ~1.1 million people out of work due to long COVID at any given time

COVID-19 Likely Resulted in 1.2 Million More Disabled People by the End of 2021
-additional 1.2 million people in the US civilian institutional population with a registered disability in 2021 compared to 2020
-total labor force without disability is down ~2 million since the start of the pandemic
-large increase in workers with disability likely due to PASC, ~1% of infected workers

Summary
-PASC research suggests >10% chance of “significant” long-term impact from COVID infection, esp fatigue and cognitive symptoms (estimates vary around 10-20%)
-additional risk of cardiovascular disease after mild infection is ~2.5%
-vaccines did not protect against all PASC conditions (estimates vary between 50% reduction to no protection)
-vaccine protection has likely not improved with Omicron dominant given relatively worse protection against symptomatic infection
-labor statistics suggest >1% of infected workers either disabled or too sick to continue working at least temporarily
-current overall picture is >1%-10% of COVID infections result in “significant” long term impacts, with large uncertainties in actual rates but these are likely lower bounds

quoting for future reference

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Lastgirl posted:

You shouldn’t. He’s a piece of poo poo that kills everything he touches. While that sounds threatening, you can’t defend yourself so you must allow him to kill you, counter intuitive I know, but you said you weren’t going to take his murdering lying rear end seriously

https://twitter.com/DefiantLs/status/1507083754292056066?s=20&t=6Mq_pSiHfRdFeLDmwwZILA
lmao

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Toaster Beef posted:

telling the job tomorrow of my intention to hit da bricks

new gig is fully remote and a 20% raise

impetus to look for it was asking to only work two days a week in the office instead of three (i'm a heart patient, any reduction in potential exposure is a good thing) and basically being told to gently caress off

so i'm loving off
:krad: loving a man

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

[Extremely columnist voice]: “They’ll have so much immunity after this!”

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Gio posted:

watching rn

https://youtu.be/v6-K-arVl-U

made me think of this

https://youtu.be/1dmlwhaEEgE

yeah this is the cspam covid doc i envisioned but with more lols and lmaos
last time i watched Koyaanisqatsi was at least a decade ago and i was high as hell, it was awesome
given the past 2+ years, i really should give it another viewing

Tzen has issued a correction as of 07:44 on Mar 25, 2022

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://twitter.com/Natasha_KC1/status/1507100975093460994

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

^^^being in a hospital without a mask lmao jesus christ

Thesaurus posted:

5th shot went down real smooth. No real issues. Pfizer is like the bud light of vaccines.
:nice:
after dabbling in some moderna, next week or so i'll be goin the bud light route for #5

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

covid is over because this is the first BNO newsroom post of the new thread, on page 17

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1507183831585013762

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

39/50 states reporting, 1k deaths, lol what a perfect time to unmask :unsmigghh:

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/JusDayDa/status/1507163616260227076
oof

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1507179545505542147
https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1507184138943614977
wonder what the nytimes frontpage will be once it's "officially" at 1mil deaths lmao

currently this,

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
Wonder if there’ll be another mild correction to the death toll before it’s officially declared to be 1 million

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Real Mean Queen posted:

That’s what you’d call the American equivalent of ideological fervor, I guess. I’ve found more money than that on the ground since new years and I basically only exist on about two city blocks, but I’m sure he saw it as some principled stand against the forces of evil to make sure that every penny owed was accounted for. If he cuts you a break and doesn’t waste a bunch of potentially productive hours over a laughably small amount of money that isn’t worth his time to not write off, he’d have to do that for everyone, and that way lies chaos.

It reminds me of the landlords that were trying to evict people for not paying rent after the rental assistance programs made the landlords whole. It’s not about the money, it’s about the preservation of the way things are supposed to work. It’s an attack on the social order and their place within it when somebody isn’t suffering the correct amount, the money is immaterial, it’s about the principle of the thing. Better that a rental property sit empty for six months generating no money than for it to be occupied by a person who wasn’t personally cutting out their pound of flesh at the contractually obligated intervals. Better to burn a hundred hours of your own time that could be spent making money than to let somebody get away with two hours of the federal minimum wage.

I think you have correctly. I mean dude showed up to my door wearing a comically large wooden cross, clearly he was on the fervor.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

FistEnergy posted:

probably not for much longer though :smith:

Yaupon Holly is native to north America and has as much or more caffeine than coffee

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Yaupon is so good.

It’s sad that hardly anyone knows about it outside of the South, and even there, it’s disrespected as an ornamental or even as a weed.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Do we think modernas kids shots are gonna be approved or nah

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

cr0y posted:

who? What?

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Ya

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Mola Yam posted:

just thinking about all the things i could do with a million american skeletons

Make the best music video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCaN1I4GJpM

It's about getting served in a restaurant.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

cr0y posted:

Thinking yes. The efficacy is bad but there are no real safety issues to get hung up on. The last few months have made it clear that kids catch COVID and end up in the hospital so a vaccine is warranted. The trial itself didn't measure hospitalization efficacy because none of the kids got sick enough, but the protection is so clear in the adult vaccines that even the FDA is likely to acknowledge the same applies for children. That might be giving the FDA reviewers too much credit though.

Nocturtle has issued a correction as of 10:44 on Mar 25, 2022

Runaway Trashbot
Mar 13, 2022

by Games Forum

Trixie Hardcore posted:

The American Dream is to die with the kind of debt that just goes unpaid instead of financially ruining your family.

The only way to win this game is to not have a family :smug:

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Our terracotta jets are to be feared

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
But enough about the NYT editorial board.

https://edition.cnn.com/2022/03/25/china/china-covid-frustration-exit-plan-intl-hnk-mic/index.html posted:

China doesn't have a Covid exit plan. Two years in, people are fed up and angry

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Paradoxish posted:

They won a settlement against her and garnished her wages, so she didn't have a choice.

From a while back, but I have a bullshit $500 physicians fee that I refuse to pay out of principle. I told them to stop contacting me — will they take me to court over such a piddling amount?

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Platystemon posted:

[Extremely columnist voice]: “They’ll have so much immunity after this!”
I could show my wife dozens or hundreds of these tweets and she would still cite the columnist as her defense every time.

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
aaaaaaaah I have such ugly ugly thoughts about this woman 🙃
https://twitter.com/DataDrivenMD/status/1507143642992898048?t=VwWKRoPwWeuJ-o5dwn-XNQ&s=19

BoothBaberGinsburg
Jan 4, 2021

Cheesus posted:

I could show my wife dozens or hundreds of these tweets and she would still cite the columnist as her defense every time.

I'm sorry. I've been there. Wish I had useful advice to dispense. A little bit of rambling if you don't mind, hope it may be helpful to you or other couples going through similar:

In our case, my husband was resistant to this kind of information because he was emotionally overwhelmed and scared and tired and I, being likewise overwhelmed, didn't see this crucial need for comfort and security being unmet and just kept resenting him for being mad at me over reality. I had to turn my own temperature way down, so to speak, and then tried to really hear where he was at without judging. He has been more receptive to information that runs counter to the narrative(or to what we might wish were true) since then. At least he knows he can bring his doubts or hopes or pet peeves to me and not come out of it feeling worse, even if we don't agree, and vice versa.

Tl;dr poo poo is crazy and we gotta be able to lean on each other, make time for one another. The rest will flow from that. (hopefully)

call_of_qthulhu
Nov 21, 2003

Fun Shoe

Gio posted:

so i know lol goon project, but ive thought a lot about what a cspam covid doc would be like.

i have zero knowledge of how to do this but my IDEA was that it would have zero narration, zero interviews, zero Expose type poo poo—just a collection of videos that highlight the contradictions of this bizarre reality, like videos of freezer truck morgues with people partying it up.

i mean thats all i got. basically two hours of morgues and packed ICUs juxtaposed with people partying. with IRONIC song choices like black eyed peas and poo poo.

this was in my covid science bookmarks and i dont remember who made it, but it wasn't me: https://vimeo.com/585640069

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
I guess it is something...

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2022/0...spite-state-law posted:

A Virginia judge rules that 12 families can enforce mask mandates in classrooms for their vulnerable children, despite state law.

A federal judge on Wednesday ruled in favor of 12 Virginia families who argued that policies making masks optional in classrooms violated the rights of their children, who have health conditions that make them vulnerable to the virus. The case is only the latest example of the legislative back and forth that is accompanying the adjustment to new, post-pandemic norms.

The families filed suit against Gov. Glenn Youngkin, a Republican, and other state officials last month after the governor signed a bill that effectively bars mask mandates in schools.

The law, which went into effect on March 1, gives parents the right to exempt their children from mask-wearing without stating a reason. It codified a step that Mr. Youngkin took with an executive order on his first day in office in January, making mask-wearing optional in schools.
(..)
On Wednesday, U.S. District Judge Norman K. Moon granted a preliminary injunction to allow the 12 families in the lawsuit to request mask requirements at their children’s schools if recommended by a doctor as a “reasonable modification” while their case proceeds. In effect, the decision challenges the interference of state law with federal disability rights law when a child requires community masking in order to participate in a classroom setting.

The students have health conditions — which include cystic fibrosis, asthma, Down syndrome, lung conditions and weakened immune systems — that make them particularly vulnerable to coronavirus infections, their parents outlined in the complaint.

The judge made clear that families of other vulnerable children will have to pursue their own suits, as the executive order and the state law remain in effect.

“This is not a class action, and the twelve plaintiffs in this case have no legal right to ask the court to deviate from that state law in any schools in Virginia (much less school districts) their children do not attend, or indeed even those areas of their schools in which Plaintiffs’ children do not frequent,” Mr. Moon wrote in the decision.

(..)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoothBaberGinsburg
Jan 4, 2021

quote:

The judge made clear that families of other vulnerable children will have to pursue their own suits, as the executive order and the state law remain in effect.

lol jesus h christ