Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Here is the mod challenge post. You can see how it went lol

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3766830&pagenumber=1357&perpage=40&userid=0#post501398084

I forgot about this lmao

Also that thread is where :mayo: came from

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Feb 4, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Just broke out some Vivan vegan cheddar slices (or 'cheddar melts' as they call them) and again I've been blown away by their cheddar-like qualities. To be fair I haven't had real cheddar in like 5 years now, but these really hit the spot, cold or melted.

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down

Permaban party

Cheese chat: there’s a company here in Utah, beehive, that makes some rad stuff. I’m personally a fan of their hatch chile.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

The Bandit posted:

Permaban party

Cheese chat: there’s a company here in Utah, beehive, that makes some rad stuff. I’m personally a fan of their hatch chile.

Oh yeah they rock. They have Barely Buzzed, cheddar with an espresso and lavender rind. One of my favorites!

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

The PYF horrible foods thread got on a thing about mayo, and so I helped start and manage a mod challenge to make mayo by hand. Everyone who participated had 7 days to make mayo or get banned (? Don't remember the consequences), and if you succeeded you got this gang tag I made

I just love Duke's. We discovered it at a Winn-Dixie in Beaufort (SC) many years ago.

We used to stock up on it every year but have since found it locally. Seeing that gang tag brightens my day.

Just ordered some smokin' Cougar Gold.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

A cheese shop near me recently had a virtual stinky cheese event. You picked up the platter in store then they had a YouTube live thing later in the evening talking about the different cheeses.

There was Taleggio, Delice du Jura, Challerhocker, Epoisses and Stinking Bishop. The Epoisses was fantastic. I really liked the strong flavor and how long it lasts.

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

Android Apocalypse posted:

Man, I wish I knew about that as I occasionally make my own mayonnaise & I need more stupid gangtags.

You can just copy the image link from someone else's tags and use it, BTW, I don't think that's even frowned upon.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Oddhair posted:

You can just copy the image link from someone else's tags and use it, BTW, I don't think that's even frowned upon.

Yeah you can add images with bbcode to your avatar text if the image is hosted on SA servers aka a pre existing gangtag

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I got some of that WSU Cougar Gold and it is really good. It could have been that it was 60 degrees out of the box or the novelty of taking cheese out of the can, but it was excellent. Thanks cheese thread.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Hed posted:

I got some of that WSU Cougar Gold and it is really good. It could have been that it was 60 degrees out of the box or the novelty of taking cheese out of the can, but it was excellent. Thanks cheese thread.

Mine actually just came in today. Was going to open it up and have fancy bread and wine with it this weekend.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Mine came in on Monday, and I've been trying to figure out what to store it in once I open the can on Sunday...it'd be nifty if the can came with a snap-on lid.

I'm sure that the WSU folks sell it at a fair pace but I like imagining them puzzled at the sudden up-tick in cheese sales.

VV Gracias, never occurred to me to go to the site... VV

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Feb 10, 2022

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

PainterofCrap posted:

Mine came in on Monday, and I've been trying to figure out what to store it in once I open the can on Sunday...it'd be nifty if the can came with a snap-on lid.

I'm sure that the WSU folks sell it at a fair pace but I like imagining them puzzled at the sudden up-tick in cheese sales.

You shouldn't leave it in the can after you've opened it. The site recommends cutting it into several chunks & wrapping them individually with plastic wrap.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Trip report, the cougar cheese is delicious. Had it on some rosemary bread along with fruit and wine. Was so good.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
Cheese is such a joy. I've been able to try a bunch more cheeses lately because of a couple of folk deciding on cheese gifts. Some of my favourites:

Il Canet - a soft goat and cow milk cheese with an annatto-washed rind. Super gooey and delish.

Kaltbach Creamy - a wonderful gruyère with extra Swiss cream.

Moreton - a Tomme style cheese. The rind really is 'farmy', which sounds bad but isn't.

Wigmore - a washed curd, sheep's milk cheese that is really creamy and fresh.

Tunworth - British Camembert with more than a hint of brassica but in a really pleasing way, like if farts were delicious.

Always partial to a good, aggressive cheddar too. Wookey Hole cave-aged is the best I've had.

Superterranean posted:

I live in Yorkshire and have had local Wensleydale, thinly shaved, as a topping on a half-inch slice of Yorkshire Brack - which is the thing that American fruitcake wishes it was. Sweet, sticky, moist, dense, packed with raisins soaked in tea; the package at that link is about 6" long and weighs more than a pound.

The cheese brings tang and a brightness and visual interest, contrasting very pleasingly with the rich, dense cake.

My live-in Yorkshireman does a thick slice atop Christmas cake. It makes Christmas cake much more tolerable, and that was certainly a surprise. I think it's better with parkin.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
I want to try cooking cheese in my smoker. What are good cheeses to smoke over a pellet smoker?

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Cross posting valuable info:

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug

Bollock Monkey posted:

Always partial to a good, aggressive cheddar too. Wookey Hole cave-aged is the best I've had.

I was at Wookey Hole a fortnight ago, and

a) saw some cheese in the caves

b) had the best cheese board at a pub that I can remember.

(Butter top left, but the cheeses are Somerset Brie, a mild bit of Stilton, Yarg, and a nice bit of Cheddar.)

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Had some Cosso mixed goat/sheep/cow milk cheese. Was a bit gimmicky, not especially tasty, but nice enough nonetheless

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
Cheese related question. What's y'alls favorite cheese forward dish, past something like baked brie or fondue. Cheese tarts I know of. Other things more interesting?

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Lately I've been enjoying cheese quesadillas. Fun thing was I got some scorpion pepper jelly that I use in it for that extra :supaburn: .

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Arkhamina posted:

Cheese related question. What's y'alls favorite cheese forward dish, past something like baked brie or fondue. Cheese tarts I know of. Other things more interesting?

Grilled or seared halloumi is awesome when paired with fruit

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Arkhamina posted:

I will never get tired of the Greek flaming cheese.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

This, but I also love paneer tikka.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Grilled halloumi in literally anything is good.

Feta, mint and melon salad.

Tartiflette (in the winter only lol, not sure I could eat more than a mouthful in warm weather)

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Arkhamina posted:

a charcuterie board

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Spanish Manlove posted:

a charcuterie board

:pseudo: Charcuterie is derived from the individual who works with pork in a classic French kitchen brigade, and traditionally refers to meats and accoutrement. Cheese can be added to one, but it is not by any means the star of a charcuterie board.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

The replacement of the term "cheese plate" with "charcuterie board" is my most pedantic irritation of the last decade or so.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Kenning posted:

The replacement of the term "cheese plate" with "charcuterie board" is my most pedantic irritation of the last decade or so.

i don't use the terms interchangeably

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

You may not, but around half of my social circle does and it's a great burden to me.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I've already posted it but: raclette.

Italian snackies, with a good Brie & selected aged Italian & Dutch cheeses, is a close second.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Arkhamina posted:

this recipe is a bit of work, but it delivers:

https://vancouversun.com/life/food/wine-match-baked-camembert-with-armagnac-prunes-mushrooms-and-thyme-pairs-with-fruity-reds

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Arkhamina posted:

Making fun cheese sauces with sodium citrate, so stuff that wouldn't usually melt creamy does.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Kenning posted:

You may not, but around half of my social circle does and it's a great burden to me.

they're dumb

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Why is that cheese smoldering?

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
cheese it, it's the fuzz!

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Last year during the holidays Costco was selling whole wheels of parm for like $900. It seemed like a screaming deal, and I came very close to pulling the trigger. I think I regret not doing it. I want to have a big party and do the whole breaking of the wheel, and do flaming cheese wheel pasta and then break the cheese down and give lots of it to friends. I think the fascination with the idea came from wanting to make risotto, finding I had no parm, and vowing to never let this happen again. (I live way off the road system in a village with no store, so I couldn’t just buy some.)

I think Costco will do this again. Is this a good idea? When I read advice online about it I kept reading articles that said things like “I am a cheesemonger at a store and we do not buy more than a quarter wheel at a time, don’t do this.” Well SOMEONE’s buying all the god drat wheels, so why not me? I envision keeping like 20-30 pounds of the stuff, how might I best preserve it? I’m willing to just live the cacio e pepe dream in my own home if that’s what it comes to.

Also what can you say about Wisconsin brick cheese? Apparently this is what you make Detroit style pizza with. What’s a good substitute?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Kazak_Hstan posted:

Is this a good idea?

No.

Wheels are 80+ pounds and difficult to break down properly. Once you cut and start making pasta in one, unless you can store the wheel under refrigeration, the clock is ticking. 80 pounds is a poo poo load of cheese. Even 30 pounds is a massive amount and will take up a huge amount of space, and you are not going to use 50 pounds of cheese in one party unless you plan to throw a bunch away. As far as who's buying the wheels, it's mostly grocery stores. I for one buy at least a wheel a week, and closer to 3 wheels weekly around the holidays. Storing it requires refrigeration, and freezer space for longer term. Under refrigeration you have a couple weeks before mold starts taking hold, but freezing it gives you near indefinite storage (it will dry the cheese out, but it doesn't hurt Parmigiano that much since it's usually grated anyway).

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Apr 15, 2022

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I love parm and I'd say I go through a lot of it, but I mean way under a pound a month. In my experience the best storage is refrigerating it inside a ziploc, which I know is going against common wisdom online, but it works best for me. It rarely molds for me, but after awhile it does get absolutely rock-hard. Like so hard I can't even cut off the rind with a high-quality sharp knife. Freezing also makes it hard and dry. I tried using a food processor to grind it, but it felt like I was risking the food processor. And at least for me, one of the reasons I love it is the microplaned texture.

Anyway, I think the only way you can do it is if you give away all but like two pounds, and that's still a generous amount to get through.

If this deal will be around the holidays, why not do a dry run now? Buy yourself 2 or 3 pounds now, see if you can get through it by yourself by May.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Coward. Buy the cheese wheel

Eat nothing but raggedly sawn-off fist-sized shards of cheese for the next three months

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Data Graham posted:

Coward. Buy the cheese wheel

Eat nothing but raggedly sawn-off fist-sized shards of cheese for the next three months

That's 0.88 pounds of cheese every day. Honestly seems doable.

Buy the wheel