Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

ryanrs posted:

I believe the proper way to half-rear end it is to throw wonderboard over the gravel instead of plywood.

Nah, get some of those Ikea patio interlocking flooring pieces. Mix and match with the fake grass! https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/runnen-decking-outdoor-dark-gray-90238111/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/zillowgonewild/status/1507029233595523082

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Perhaps it's the perspective, but the hole looks a little small for a missile "exit wound".

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
Also, the structural integrity of a thin metal tube going through a roof/ceiling and planting in the floor seems a bit iffy.

e: I could see maybe the bulk of the tail being consumed propellant and then the defective warhead being crumpled and unseen there

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

You can't take the loony toons esque perfect silhouette of the fins where it came through the ceiling away from me.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

would

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

seems like mostly stone and glass actually

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Also, the structural integrity of a thin metal tube going through a roof/ceiling and planting in the floor seems a bit iffy.

e: I could see maybe the bulk of the tail being consumed propellant and then the defective warhead being crumpled and unseen there

It's just the booster stage. They drop off and lawn-dart into anything. There are hundreds of photos of them embedded into nearly anything you can imagine in Ukraine.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Blistex posted:

It's just the booster stage. They drop off and lawn-dart into anything. There are hundreds of photos of them embedded into nearly anything you can imagine in Ukraine.

Okay. Thanks for the knowledge.

I haven't been keeping up as a small hedge I build around my smaller sanity.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

IIRC it was a booster for some other warhead. There's a photo in the Ukraine thread of another one that lawn-darted in a llama field with a puzzled alpaca contemplating it .

e/f/b

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

[img-iFrewUpCat.jpg]

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

Okay, I like some elements of this. There’s too much going on, though the wood ceilings are cool.

But the staircases.

I like floating stairs, but this set appears to be missing the customary glass railing. Is this legal?

Another one appears to lead directly to a bathroom with no door?

???

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Since when do the rich care about legality

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

dying an easily preventable death is luxurious

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp

No safety railing across the bedroom nook ledge. And the bannister is about ankle height when stepping down.

Star Wars school of design safety here

Vim Fuego fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Mar 26, 2022

mr.belowaverage
Aug 16, 2004

we have an irc channel at #SA_MeetingWomen
I think I would be ok without a railing, unless you’re the type who gets up from the foot of your bed.

The spiral staircase makes no sense, and doesn’t save any useful space over a good usable loft ladder.

I guess with a ladder you can’t really carry like a tea and a snack to bed?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

mr.belowaverage posted:

I think I would be ok without a railing, unless you’re the type who gets up from the foot of your bed.

The spiral staircase makes no sense, and doesn’t save any useful space over a good usable loft ladder.

Sleepwalkers are doomed in that setup. I once tried to lift my entire dresser by myself while sleeping.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

mr.belowaverage posted:

Thing might as well be a ladder, you can't carry poo poo. A simple dumbwaiter is more practical ffs

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

D34THROW posted:

Thing might as well be a ladder, you can't carry poo poo. A simple dumbwaiter is more practical ffs

And you can pay it less than minimum wage!!

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Railings are there so that when you get up to pee in the night and bump your head on the sloped ceiling you don’t stumble off the loft and die. You’ll be ok without it right up until it would have saved your life.

I’m also imagining someone getting sick, going to bed, and then being too feverish/ill to navigate the steps so they have to call the fire department to get them down.

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

Just install a fireman's pole next to the staircase.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Hispanic! At The Disco posted:

This would be my preferred method of egress at all times.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Hispanic! At The Disco posted:

I was gonna say a slide but that works too

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

"Love us with money or we'll hate you with hammers!"
Foam pit under the loft

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
Just get a Colin Furze ejector bed:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVzn1pl4nlo

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Crappy construction idea: If I wasn't renting, I would totally punch a dryer vent through my office wall and duct away the exhaust from my desktop.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Arrath posted:

Crappy construction idea: If I wasn't renting, I would totally punch a dryer vent through my office wall and duct away the exhaust from my desktop.

If you really want to do this, just get a window insert duct like you get for portable air conditioners.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Put a trampoline at the bottom.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Arrath posted:

I've seen people run their radiators outside in cold climates, probably mostly for meme value.
https://www.overclockers.com/forums/threads/watercooling-with-an-outdoor-radiator.755030/

There was a guy on OCAU who was building a new house and sunk a loop in his slab.

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Mar 27, 2022

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Vim Fuego posted:

No safety railing across the bedroom nook ledge. And the bannister is about ankle height when stepping down.

Star Wars school of design safety here

Mx. posted:

dying an easily preventable death is luxurious

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

~Coxy posted:

There was a guy on OCAU who was building a new house and sunk a loop in his slab.

lol yeah

https://forums.overclockers.com.au/threads/concrete-slab-water-cooler-loop-hooked-up.800958/

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Honestly, because I love the idea of in-floor heating and real boss cyber chrome (I will never use that phrase again, have no fear), I would go for a hot water system that runs heated water through the slab and ties a watercooling rig into the cold part. Is it dumb? Absolutely. Would it leave a mysterious hose attachment for the next owner? You bet your rear end. Would they find a dollar store plastic skeleton when they checked out the crawlspace? Indubitably.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

How bad would a leak be?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Dareon posted:

Honestly, because I love the idea of in-floor heating and real boss cyber chrome (I will never use that phrase again, have no fear), I would go for a hot water system that runs heated water through the slab and ties a watercooling rig into the cold part. Is it dumb? Absolutely. Would it leave a mysterious hose attachment for the next owner? You bet your rear end. Would they find a dollar store plastic skeleton when they checked out the crawlspace? Indubitably.

In floor heating owns. My apartment has it and it's included in the rent. Gas boiler and water loops.

However, there's no central blower in the apartment (and no AC), so air stagnates unless you open a window and turn on some fans. Also the boiler is the water heater for the entire building, so if you want a hot shower before noon, you'd better get in by 7am.

The ground floor has the pipes in the floor, the second floor has the pipes in the first foot or so of the walls. I've never had cheaper winter utility bills since the complex pays for the gas, but I expect rent to go up this year because of the price volatility now.

Ah, warm feet while poo poo posting.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Radiant floor/rad heating is so awesome and I'm glad it's finally having a resurgence in Canada. (forced air was king forever)

I bought a outdoor wood boiler furnace for my place. The living/dining/kitchen, bathroom and hallway are all radiant floor on the first storey. The second floor has the loft, walk in closet, and master bath hooked up as well. All the bedrooms have aluminum radiators so that their thermal mass is minimal and their temperatures are adjustable within an hour.

Hot water can be heated via a heat exchanger plate in the winter using the radiant floor supply. The on demand water heater I am looking at is propane and can double as a radiant floor furnace, so it would count as my backup heating source.

Edit: when my brother was house shopping two years ago in Sault Ste Marie, a lot of the 1960s-70s homes were heated with forced air being supplied by electric furnaces.

Blistex fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Mar 27, 2022

fralbjabar
Jan 26, 2007
I am a meat popscicle.
Some in-floor heat crappy construction:

I have in-floor heat in my house just NW of Boston MA, it owns in the winter and I love waking up to a warm bedroom floor in the mornings. My house is a ranch on slab built in 1959 by a well known mass builder for the area in that time period, and as with all large scale developers there's a fair number of corners cut or shortsighted decisions made in design. Take the floor heating, it's provided by loops of copper pipe embedded in the concrete of the slab. When new it works quite well, but uncoated copper pipe in contact with concrete corrodes over time as the concrete absorbs moisture from the atmosphere or the ground it's in contact with - leading to eventual and inevitable leaks in the piping and the failure of the entire heating system. At this point you have the choice to either a) jackhammer the entire goddamn slab to fix it or b) replace the heating system with something else, usually forced air in the attic. The systems generally have a 50 year expected life before the piping fails, I'm a weird outlier in my neighborhood and still have no leaks so I'm going to keep using my toasty warm floors until they stop working - but as of now I'm the only house on my street that still has functional floor heating so I figure it's only a matter of time. I use a flir camera to keep an eye on the system and check for leaks.

Related to this whenever it does finally fail and I replace the heating with a ducted heat pump I'll probably get a huge efficiency bump by no longer heating the ground. I got to take a look at my neighbor's slab a couple years ago when he jackhammered a trench in it to fix his sewer line and there's only about 2" of 'insulation' underneath the slab before the sand bed. I have to imagine a serious chunk of my heating bill is currently going straight into the ground under my home.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

wesleywillis posted:

Perhaps it's the perspective, but the hole looks a little small for a missile "exit wound".

Here's another angle

https://twitter.com/IBrokeTheFence3/status/1505601164330647555

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

That is impressively over the top.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Arrath posted:

That is impressively over the top.

Yet done terribly wrong all the same. Nobody competent has put copper in concrete for however many decades O2 barrier PEX has been available. That's also a laughably small run which surely won't be suitable for the purpose in either the short or long term. Concrete simply doesn't conduct heat that quickly/well. The loop will be above boiling in no time, no matter what GPM that's run at unless the heat load is reduced. It also won't work to sink short duration heat events for the same reason.