Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

if the basic plot is good with good characters then you can hand wave away the inconsistencies, in those cases yeah it's shameful fans hand wringing about dumb stuff that wouldn't make the story more engaging.

but if the plot kinda sucks and the characters are meh then all the bad stuff sticks out more and people think "hmm maybe it would be good if they changed this one dumb thing".

edit: oof sniped a nerd thread

cool scene from the picard writers room

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whfMMfR4KKw

appropriatemetaphor fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Mar 26, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
patrick stewart so old

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Endless Trash posted:

No way man! They use words like quantum and particle and space time continuum, this poo poo is real and only for people with a very high IQ

The writers have Star Trek Picard have ruined Star Trek by making a time travel plot with inconsistencies, unlike every other time travel plot in Star Trek (or literally anything else)

Time travel has been hosed in every episode since they introduced it in TOS. The key is to be engaging enough that I don't care.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

I miss Elnor so loving much :(

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Captain Hygiene posted:

Time travel has been hosed in every episode since they introduced it in TOS. The key is to be engaging enough that I don't care.

The other key is to make it only last for at most a two-parter. If it's a season long arc, it is going to suck, there's no way around that.

You can have dumb plots that don't really work. You can't have all your plots be dumb and broken.

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

This cyberpunk cartoon avatar is pretty dang ol' good, I tell you what.
guess patrick stewart doesn’t remember or just doesn’t care about his tng adventures

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Endless Trash posted:

It's okay Mike, they'll bring back the LOTR sword elf by the end of the season.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

infernal machines posted:

The other key is to make it only last for at most a two-parter. If it's a season long arc, it is going to suck, there's no way around that.

You can have dumb plots that don't really work. You can't have all your plots be dumb and broken.

Yeah, that's also a good point. I'd be much more on board for the entertaining bits here if they were condensed down into a snappy two-parter.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Endless Trash posted:

He had to die for the plot. You can't have him running around in 2024 without hiding those ears and as bad as these writers are, I think they would see that as ripping off Voyage Home. He can't just be hanging out on the ship or else the Borg Queen can't intimidate Agnes.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Bonzo posted:

You can't have him running around in 2024 without hiding those ears and as bad as these writers are, I think they would see that as ripping off Voyage Home.

Unlike the guy holding a boombox to his ear in 2024 loudly listening to the same song from 1986 :v:

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

I think the danger of having pointy ears in 2024 is low, people would just think he was a turbonerd way too into lord of the rings

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

Endless Trash posted:

It makes “sense” as the timeline where the enterprise crew went back never happened.

It’s BttF logic and it’s fine

But they went back to 3 days before the timeline was changed, therefore Time's Arrow still would've happened at that point.

Stupid time travel

Endless Trash posted:

No way man! They use words like quantum and particle and space time continuum, this poo poo is real and only for people with a very high IQ

The writers have Star Trek Picard have ruined Star Trek by making a time travel plot with inconsistencies, unlike every other time travel plot in Star Trek (or literally anything else)

This but unironically

MakaVillian fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Mar 26, 2022

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

MakaVillian posted:

But they went back to 3 days before the timeline was changed, therefore Time's Arrow still would've happened at that point.

Stupid time travel

This but unironically

You can either accept the explanation that Time’s Arrow’s loop didn’t happen because they went back in time FROM an alternate universe (see Doc Brown’s chalkboard from Back to the Future) or you can say it makes no sense. You are correct either way!

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Captain Hygiene posted:

Unlike the guy holding a boombox to his ear in 2024 loudly listening to the same song from 1986 :v:

So that was their, "....oh ok. OH! Let's do the guy on the bus instead!!"

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

if you don't like a show about time travel full of generic inconsistencies of time travel don't watch it

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

if you want to watch a show you don't like and complain about it online go ahead and do that

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I'm having way more fun watching you all watch it this time around, honestly

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

As someone who is forced to live in 2022 I'm annoyed by Seven and Raffi being so performatively angry about our current society's ills. It would be like me going back to the middle ages and tsk tsking them about poor sanitation and witch hunts.

You're killin' it 1245 :rolleyes:

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Endless Trash posted:

As someone who is forced to live in 2022 I'm annoyed by Seven and Raffi being so performatively angry about our current society's ills. It would be like me going back to the middle ages and tsk tsking them about poor sanitation and witch hunts.

yeah that poo poo is pretty annoying, like you knew what you were getting into when you woke up in a fascist dictatorship run by Picard, deal with it

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Endless Trash posted:

I think it's perfectly ok to be upset if you go back in time and see women being burned alive for witchcraft

there's all kinds of stuff throughout history that would make me pretty angry to witness first hand

the real problem is that the writing is TERRIBLE

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

TIP posted:

I think it's perfectly ok to be upset if you go back in time and see women being burned alive for witchcraft

there's all kinds of stuff throughout history that would make me pretty angry to witness first hand

the real problem is that the writing is TERRIBLE

Yeah the writing is bad, so their anger seems to come from a place of “we live here and I hate seeing this” + a bit of snarky ironic detachment and NEITHER of those should come from people living in a 24th century utopia.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Endless Trash posted:

As someone who is forced to live in 2022 I'm annoyed by Seven and Raffi being so performatively angry about our current society's ills.

I was thinking about if this wasn’t earth, but some new alien planet, would they really care about some of them being relocated a few hundred miles? Or with Data’s pen pal and her planet ripping up… would they have refused to help and blame her for being stupid if the problems were caused by her species cars and factories?

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

infernal machines posted:

12 monkeys and terminator framchises will disagree with you on that one.

what a strange world we love in where 12 monkeys has the better franchise.

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

Vitruvian Manic posted:

I feel like internal consistency is something fans impose from the outside instead of something real that exists from creators. there are like gods that teleport and sentient AIs and the US constitution. the show is basically the twilight zone with a reoccurring cast.

In a sense, yes; there’s turbonerd edifices like http://www.ditl.org that try to nail down and reconcile every last detail, even when those details were fairly often just made up on the spot during the demanding weekly grind of producing a TV show. But the production companies often participate in reinforcing this themselves. In the 90s, there were an official Star Trek encyclopedia and chronology written by people directly involved in production design. Lucasfilm also has that poor bastard who’s the “keeper of the holocron” for Star Wars and is supposed to make that whole mess hang together somehow, including all the tie-in novels and comics.

At times, they do recognize that internal consistency is a key component of the escapism that keeps people coming back. So crapping out inconsistent and terrible writing just makes it feel like they’re squeezing for the last few drops they can get out of the brand.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Endless Trash posted:

Yeah the writing is bad, so their anger seems to come from a place of “we live here and I hate seeing this” + a bit of snarky ironic detachment and NEITHER of those should come from people living in a 24th century utopia.

I think if they end up trying to do something about the terrible situation they find themselves witnessing in order to fix the future (like bashir and sisko openly participating in a riot against the state) rather than just grimly remarking how hosed we currently are, the story could theoretically redeem or justify itself at least somewhat

e: lol of course I expect they're just staplegunning social issues up there instead of planning any meaningful social commentary because that might piss off one too many of the remaining fans paying to see this and because they're likely too far removed from these issues to have an idea of what a satisfying resolution to this might look like

Tighclops fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Mar 27, 2022

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

TIP posted:

if you want to watch a show you don't like and complain about it online go ahead and do that

skipping a step and not watching a show i don't like and then piecing together my complaints second hand

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

appropriatemetaphor posted:

skipping a step and not watching a show i don't like and then piecing together my complaints second hand

exactly what I’m doing tbh

it’s not “fun” per se but it does make me feel included and accepted

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Eventually Season 3 will be the unused plot of First Contact where they have to fight the Borg who are taking over an Italian city during the Renaissance.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

JediTalentAgent posted:

Eventually Season 3 will be the unused plot of First Contact where they have to fight the Borg who are taking over an Italian city during the Renaissance.

I can't believe they're ending the show just when it's finding its feet

Trollologist
Mar 3, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Does Q or Guynan ever look at robo Picard and be all: "something's off about you Picard... it's like, you're a hollow empty copy of yourself?"

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
No but Rios in the newest episode does go on a rant that ends with basically “and Picard’s some kind of robot now I guess, no one can really explain that to me”.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

This show is such absolute trash that I can only find enjoyment in hate-watching it and commiserating with the RLM boys during their reviews.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

weeeeelllll, it's the picard show
it's a big bad show all right

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Mulaney Power Move posted:

weeeeelllll, it's the picard show
it's a big bad show all right

If they got Big ShowPaul Wight to come back for another guest spot, that probably would cause me to instantly sign up and binge-watch the whole damned thing, after all.

I guess the surviving Romulan incest twin got written out, though? So he can’t get power-slammed through an exploding bridge console?

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

The only humor in this episode comes from violence against cops and immigration guards

5/5 can’t wait for next week

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Endless Trash posted:

Contrast this with Bashir and Sisko being crestfallen about 21st century humanity's lack of empathy for each other and later their willingness to die in a prison riot to change things for the future

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XL4iCAB6MFo
Surely they wouldn't dare to disappoint me with another new series!

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Captain Hygiene posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XL4iCAB6MFo
Surely they wouldn't dare to disappoint me with another new series!

The lol snarky comment! Stuff is really putting me off.

Like not every single tv show has to have smirking Jim in the background.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

There's a hypothetical version of Strange New Worlds that I would like a lot, but this really does feel like it could've been edited from the Serious Drama + snarky quips of either live action show and it wouldn't feel the slightest bit different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

appropriatemetaphor posted:

The lol snarky comment! Stuff is really putting me off.

Like not every single tv show has to have smirking Jim in the background.

trailers are always like this. it's got to as broad as possible to appeal to people who don't understand humour unless it's punctuated by the music cutting out.

pike's little 'i love this job' aside in the trailer is corny, but i can imagine it being a fun moment in the actual show. same with the stuff like 'oh my god i'm on a comet' *inspirational music*. as long as they don't have a gently caress Yeah, Science! character.

so considering how bad trailers usually are, i think this at least is a glimpse that the show is what they've been advertising it as. there's no hint of a galactic threat in this. just random missions and positive attitudes. could all be lies, we'll see.

although i am completely done with spock saying things are logical. i do not want to see spock version C. kill spock.