Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

champagne posting posted:

I hope your company likes replacing your broken phone

Lol. I've seen one start smoking once. Right before a guy was going to hop on to take his first call ever.

It was an omen. He was actually pretty good at the job, in all aspects of it. But he just broke down after a year and couldn't do it anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

blackmet posted:

Lol. I've seen one start smoking once. Right before a guy was going to hop on to take his first call ever.

It was an omen. He was actually pretty good at the job, in all aspects of it. But he just broke down after a year and couldn't do it anymore realized the job was poo poo and quit.

'Couldn't hack it' usually means blaming the employee for not putting up with terrible working conditions.

liz
Nov 4, 2004

Stop listening to the static.

Critical posted:

I'm actually on the AP side so I don't have to make collection calls, fortunately.

He wants me to do any sort of communicating for him. No clue how to put together a legible email whatsoever. Yesterday he sent me an 8 month old invoice and asked me to get it reduced by $3k with the reasoning "Juan finished the work."

I don't know who Juan is or who he works for. Turns out another company had to finish their hosed up work, however we don't have the invoice for the second company, so he expects me to say "Please reduce this invoice we sat on for 8 months by $3k for no provable reason" and get an immediate yes.

I'm off tomorrow so I'm sending the email at like 4:30, telling them to ask him any questions they have, and then logging off.

Oh boy I had no clue this thread existed but I’m sure I’ll have lots to contribute soon!

I feel this post. I AM on the collections side and man do I miss AP… They are constantly juggling our accounts and I’m stuck with trying to collect on 1yr old invoices :cripes:

Most of my issues are to do with web billing though… Each customer has their own loving portal and nonsense they want you to jump through before they pay invoices. I don’t do the web billing but I sure as hell have to sort through the bs when it’s not done right.

Oh did I mention the reason I’m in collections now is because they outsourced my previous AP position (and entire dept) to IBM India in the middle of the pandemic? It was either muddle though an uncertain job market or jump to one of two positions leftover. I chose the safety net because in 2020 we all really needed one.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Years ago I was a supervisor at a call center that did market research, i.e. telephone surveys. I was one of the supervisors in charge of training, and I got used to a high washout rate. Out of a class of 40 or so, I expected a couple to not even make it through their first day, and a bigger chunk to not make it through their first week. For some people phone work is just not tolerable for whatever reason - for me it was always a nice fallback since I took it to it really easily despite having struggled with social anxiety over the years.

Slayerjerman
Nov 27, 2005

by sebmojo

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Years ago I was a supervisor at a call center that did market research, i.e. telephone surveys. I was one of the supervisors in charge of training, and I got used to a high washout rate. Out of a class of 40 or so, I expected a couple to not even make it through their first day, and a bigger chunk to not make it through their first week. For some people phone work is just not tolerable for whatever reason - for me it was always a nice fallback since I took it to it really easily despite having struggled with social anxiety over the years.

I'd dig ditches in the rain before ever working at a call center. Almost got fooled to interview for one back in early 2000 and noped out of their so fast the door didn't even have time to close before I turned around and left.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
I work in a photo lab that's been around for a while. One of the main daytime printing techs used to work in a huge call center in the area before this job, and absolutely hated it and the place he worked. Moving over to quietly running printers without needing to talk to folks was a good change of pace for him.

The lab recently purchased a new, much larger building that we'll be moving into this summer. We got to tour the new building a few weeks ago--it's not quite cleaned up or built out, so there were some old cubicles, office equipment, and a bunch of phones still left over, piled in a corner. When we got back the printing tech seemed kind of out-of-sorts. We asked him what was up.

Turns out the new building we're moving to... was formerly a call center. The very same one he worked at. He thought he got away...

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

Takes No Damage posted:

I like to use 6969 as any 4digit PIN, but only because the numbers are next to each other on the NumPad I swear :sweatdrop:

1337 for me. Plz don't steal my phone.

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

SkyeAuroline posted:

My one Excel weakness. We never use pivot tables in my current position. drat near everything else, including VBA, but never pivot tables.

I'd like to think I could at least figure it out, though. Definitely not react like that.

Hah same, I've been meaning to learn pivot tables just so I'm not caught off guard in an interview.

I think I'm an unusual case because I've used excel massively but never anything involving money.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
If you use Excel regularly pivot tables take about an hour to teach yourself how to use them or about 15 minutes if someone will show you. It's easier to figure out than a lot of IF and similar formulas.

Slayerjerman posted:

I'd dig ditches in the rain before ever working at a call center. Almost got fooled to interview for one back in early 2000 and noped out of their so fast the door didn't even have time to close before I turned around and left.

Same. I'd rather kill myself than do the same pointless bullshit stuff everyday. I had a stupid pointless job a few years ago and I had to quit because it was so miserable and depressing I was starting to get ideas.

That said I worked in a cafe for about a year baking bagels, flipping the grill, making coffee and sandwiches etc. If it paid well I'd have happily done that for the rest of my life, I loving loved it.

Smik
Mar 18, 2014

Outrail posted:

If you use Excel regularly pivot tables take about an hour to teach yourself how to use them or about 15 minutes if someone will show you. It's easier to figure out than a lot of IF and similar formulas.

Same. I'd rather kill myself than do the same pointless bullshit stuff everyday. I had a stupid pointless job a few years ago and I had to quit because it was so miserable and depressing I was starting to get ideas.

That said I worked in a cafe for about a year baking bagels, flipping the grill, making coffee and sandwiches etc. If it paid well I'd have happily done that for the rest of my life, I loving loved it.

Yeah that's kinda unreal how much more satisfying that can be. I feel like I should make a deeper observation but I'm really tired right now and I just think it's interesting.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Smik posted:

Yeah that's kinda unreal how much more satisfying that can be. I feel like I should make a deeper observation but I'm really tired right now and I just think it's interesting.

The free sandwiches and coffee weren't exactly a massive bonus but they really helped.

xdice
Feb 15, 2006

Smik posted:

I struggle with this one at times. I chalk it up to the difference between doing something tangible, as opposed to the intangible nature of a lot of IT work. Cooking, making coffee, things like that, there's a certain satisfaction in doing that task well. For me, if I build a hundred vm's perfectly, it's still an intangible thing to my brain and doesn't bring the same satisfaction as say, cooking a perfect grilled cheese sandwich.

I dunno, I think I get the deeper observation you're going for, but I'm not doing well at putting it into words either.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

pile of brown posted:

My sous chef was giddy with joy when I let him know I'd changed his punch in code to 666 and also had it print HAIL SATAN every time he clocked in

My department is responsible for issuing parking passes to several thousand employees. A few years back, we switched to a new style of sequentially numbered plastic passes that hang off the mirror. As soon as the order arrived, I scooped #00666 for myself. I'm a little disappointed that nobody else fought me for it.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

My most fulfilling job was managing restaurants, the problem is it only pays half as much as spending half my time on zoom calls and half my time telling other people how to manage restaurants

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I understand people not liking call centers, and the nature of the work being done definitely plays a role for me. Like, I hated anything close to collections calls.

Doing phone surveys was great, though - the topics and where we calling changed depending on where we were calling, so it was only a few weeks at most of real repetition. And I used to love the really pissed-off people.

"You're calling me at dinner! You are literally the devil!" Well, with a lot more profanity.

My personal game was to apologize but never hang up. "I understand. I'm terribly sorry." Things along those lines while they worked themselves up further and further. It was glorious. Like, if you're mad that I called you why won't you hang up the phone? I'd just keep apologizing until they became incoherent and slammed the phone done, and my day would be improved.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

CaptainSarcastic posted:

My personal game was to apologize but never hang up. "I understand. I'm terribly sorry." Things along those lines while they worked themselves up further and further. It was glorious. Like, if you're mad that I called you why won't you hang up the phone? I'd just keep apologizing until they became incoherent and slammed the phone done, and my day would be improved.

This might be a hot take, but have you considered that you aren’t a good person?

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
I had a part time job at a call center one summer and we were not allowed to hang up. I was real bad at it and I don't think I ever made a sale, and I started to get real depressed when I realized that the only people who would actually talk to me were either inebriated or were lonely elderly people

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

EoRaptor posted:

This might be a hot take, but have you considered that you aren’t a good person?

Yeah.

Like my favorite thing to do during scam calls is to waste as much of their time as possible. Because they're criminals. But you're wasting regular people's time who don't want to talk to you like why?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

xdice posted:

there's a certain satisfaction in doing that task well. For me, if I build a hundred vm's perfectly, it's still an intangible thing to my brain and doesn't bring the same satisfaction as say, cooking a perfect grilled cheese sandwich.

I dunno, I think I get the deeper observation you're going for, but I'm not doing well at putting it into words either.

There is actually quite a lot of research on this, and it’s about the difference between intrinsic motivation (satisfaction/rewards derived from performing a task well) and extrinsic motivation (the external rewards for doing something). People are usually far more motivated to do something if they are intrinsically motivated, and no matter how much you pay someone or say it’ll help their career, most people would still rather do something they just find satisfying.

A lot of corporate bullshit culture, values, “family” etc. is built around giving workers a sense of intrinsic motivation, pretty clearly so that you don’t need to provide so much extrinsic motivation, i.e. you can pay less

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

CaptainSarcastic posted:

"You're calling me at dinner! You are literally the devil!" Well, with a lot more profanity.

I’m amazed people haven’t figured out the one weird trick of not picking up your phone during dinner

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

I’m amazed people haven’t figured out the one weird trick of not picking up your phone during dinner

I'm surprised I didn't pick my nose during dinner

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I’m amazed people haven’t figured out the one weird trick of never picking up your phone

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

EoRaptor posted:

Meh, I was just trying to do my job - wasn't my fault if people wanted to freak out on me. It was pretty drat funny, though.

GB Luxury Hamper
Nov 27, 2002

Volmarias posted:

What's going to happen, she gets fired? You can't be fired if you're the only person in HR, there's no one else to do the paperwork.

My last job did fire everyone in HR except one part-timer who was working only one day per week. She wasn't interested in going full-time because she was going to school and was about to graduate and get a job related to her degree.

So when the company needed to hire some students to do some part-time work cheaply, the CEO had to deal with the HR paperwork because nobody else could do it. I'm sure that was a good use of his time.

I left the company. So did the CEO apparently. We had six different CEOs in the 7 years I was there, so I'm excited to see who will take the job next.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

CaptainSarcastic posted:

My personal game is to hold the phone up to my smoke detector and let it beep a few times before hanging up. Just because I don’t have anything louder and more obnoxious.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

liz posted:

Oh boy I had no clue this thread existed but I’m sure I’ll have lots to contribute soon!

I feel this post. I AM on the collections side and man do I miss AP… They are constantly juggling our accounts and I’m stuck with trying to collect on 1yr old invoices :cripes:

Collections is for the few, most of us can't do that kind of work, and that's a good thing.

AP though. A couple of jobs ago I had a small project going with our network consultants; 2 hours to figure out how to do a highly specific thing, and 5 hours to document it so I could do it when it came up again. I got the two hour part, and then they stonewalled on the providing documentation part. I hadn't quite gotten ready to start yelling when our AP hands me a copy of an invoice. They'd billed us all 7 hours, close to $3k, while not answering phone calls. And AP just went and paid the loving invoice.

Needless to say we never got that documentation. I forget which consultant group it was, I guess just assume any small ones in Oakland, CA are thieves or something.

Dongsturm
Feb 17, 2012

Zopotantor posted:

My personal game is to hold the phone up to my smoke detector and let it beep a few times before hanging up. Just because I don’t have anything louder and more obnoxious.

Whisper a bit first. "I'm sorry sonny, my voice hasn't been any good since the operation. You'll have to turn your volume up. More.. more..."

Then blow the whistle into the phone

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Dongsturm posted:

Whisper a bit first. "I'm sorry sonny, my voice hasn't been any good since the operation. You'll have to turn your volume up. More.. more..."

Posts like this are always puzzling. Power fantasies about sticking it to the minimum wage service worker. Also just a fantasy because you've never actually blown a whistle or put the phone up to a smoke alarm.

This is the dumb poo poo your work does thread, not dumb poo poo you imagine it would be cool to do to other workers.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I just don't answer the phone because caller ID is a thing for me since I'm not living in some kind of time hole where it's still 1988.

Also legitimate question here: What do project managers even do?

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Rent-A-Cop posted:

I just don't answer the phone because caller ID is a thing for me since I'm not living in some kind of time hole where it's still 1988.

Tell different and conflicting lies to the customer and the project team to maximize success and pipeline communication

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Ideally they keep tabs on what multiple people or departments are working on for a common goal and make sure a struggling part gets the help required to not fall behind and waste the time of the other people or departments

Bad ones just waste everyone's time directly

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Dongsturm posted:

Yeah, dont be a shitweasel and intentionally try to permanently injure minimum wage workers.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Shugojin posted:

Ideally they keep tabs on what multiple people or departments are working on for a common goal and make sure a struggling part gets the help required to not fall behind and waste the time of the other people or departments

Bad ones just waste everyone's time directly

This.

With any management job, you need to distinguish between what they're supposed to do/what the good ones do, and what the bad ones actually do. Good project managers are worth a lot but the bad ones can gently caress up a lot.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

In my experience, project managers are there to avoid supervising GCs and also to act surprised if D&C or P&D hosed something up.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

xdice posted:

I struggle with this one at times. I chalk it up to the difference between doing something tangible, as opposed to the intangible nature of a lot of IT work. Cooking, making coffee, things like that, there's a certain satisfaction in doing that task well. For me, if I build a hundred vm's perfectly, it's still an intangible thing to my brain and doesn't bring the same satisfaction as say, cooking a perfect grilled cheese sandwich.

This is one of the things those "Studies show monetary compensation is not the most important part of job satisfaction, therefor it's actually good that we're underpaying you and there's no raises this year *speeds off in new car*" managers are deliberately misquoting. If you're a traditional potter then you work hard on a bunch of pottery and see a bunch of pre-fired pottery and go hey, look at that, it all looks good, well done me. Then you put it in the kiln and take it out when it's done and go hey, look at all that nice pottery I made, good job me. You're getting immediate feedback on your work because the evidence is right there in your hands.

If your job is to monitor track 3 of the cup making machine's output line for defects then where's the feedback? There isn't any. So it's very important that you get regular, direct, positive feedback on your work in other ways.

And no a monthly pizza party in lieu of a wage increase with a generic "good job everybody" banner does not count.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

NPR Journalizard posted:

Yeah, dont be a shitweasel and intentionally try to permanently injure minimum wage workers.

But do do this to scam callers obviously.

Good project managers, like all managers, are there to do all the stupid bullshit that holds up project/work getting done so the actual workers can focus on doing the actual project/work.

Bad project managers do the oposite of this.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Funny enough, despite having an S21+ and being on Verizon, never did get working caller ID from them or elsewhere. I get a location and that's about it.

But I also don't really get called by scammers so I'll take that as good luck.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

SkyeAuroline posted:

Funny enough, despite having an S21+ and being on Verizon, never did get working caller ID from them or elsewhere. I get a location and that's about it.

But I also don't really get called by scammers so I'll take that as good luck.
I don't much either really. T-Mobile has a pretty good spam blocker and I blacklist any calls from my area code since I haven't lived there in 15 years.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Meh, I was just trying to do my job - wasn't my fault if people wanted to freak out on me.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

My personal game
:crossarms:

Aramoro posted:

Posts like this are always puzzling. Power fantasies about sticking it to the minimum wage service worker..
I think you missed the starter:

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I understand people not liking call centers, and the nature of the work being done definitely plays a role for me. Like, I hated anything close to collections calls.

Doing phone surveys was great, though - the topics and where we calling changed depending on where we were calling, so it was only a few weeks at most of real repetition. And I used to love the really pissed-off people.

Anyway everyone relax and listen to Lenny
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgbhpgO_AbM&list=PLduL71_GKzHHk4hLga0nOGWrXlhl-i_3g&index=579

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum

Rent-A-Cop posted:

From my experience, things project managers do:
  • Create unrealistic project schedules without looking at anyone's calendars for time off or anything like that
  • Schedule meetings
  • Kickoff meetings and sit in silence until the wrapup
  • Be too afraid to call customer out on bullshit like missing contractual deadlines, giving us less time to actually deliver
  • Agree to do out of scope work without a CR because "we have plenty of hours"
  • Have their Teams messages ignored by me for hours because I'm too busy on another project that you know I'm busy with so gently caress off, Donna!