Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

imagine the rabbit season duck season gif but with cases season deaths season

that is the world now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Yeah this has me spooked because I've been having stomach trubs and now congestion a few days after my in-laws visited. RAT was negative but I never trust those things.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

NeonPunk posted:

Can't afford to shell out more money for OV filters. I don't make enough for something that literally starts to expire once you take it out of the bag for everyday use.

I mean, I do have some but I'm saving those in pristine condition for whenever the next Cool Zone happens.
You can just keep them in a ziploc between uses.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Paradoxish posted:

fwiw I think the ba.2 news is getting through to a few people, I've been noticing a lot more masks in stores and places around me

either that or there was some kind of weird effect where mask usage bottomed out and just naturally bounced back as people decided they weren't actually comfortable going around with naked faces

easily back up to 50%+ in grocery stores and stuff in my area

it’ll kick up, but its less and less each wave. right now mask usage is at rock bottom i’d say.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Chad Sexington posted:

Yeah this has me spooked because I've been having stomach trubs and now congestion a few days after my in-laws visited. RAT was negative but I never trust those things.

Same, I have zero other symptoms though so depending on if it clears up today or tomorrow I’ll assume it was norovirus or something

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

https://www1.nyc.gov/site/doh/covid/covid-19-data.page

number up

also, as ever, areas with the highest third dose update have the highest positivity rates. all people who have been told "you're doing all the right things!" and so expect their maskless reward

Same thing that happens every goddamned time they tell us "No really COVID is totally 110% over!"

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

NeonPunk has issued a correction as of 14:41 on Mar 4, 2023

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Thursday is typically when NYC releases variant data

though it's also usually two weeks behind

we'll see what pops up tomorrow

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
lmfao we couldn't do this for masks or tests or pills but elon's gotta make a buck, soooooo

https://twitter.com/TheStalwart/status/1509173724666384389

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

not_superiority posted:

covid made me realize that the best thing i could see in the world is others protecting themselves, because that means they're not loving insane.

side note: today's YLE newsletter highlights ventilation and even mentions improving ventilation and masking up when in close proximity to others. she doesn't normally stray far from the democrat party line so hopefully this means there's a sea change happening

I wonder what that even does now. Can you really go masks on masks off masks on? It's gotta be breaking to people's minds to see their leaders whiplash advice like that.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Horseshoe theory posted:

Congrats on hitting 50% official :theroni: cases in 1-2 days per Worldometers! :coronatoot:

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

NeonPunk posted:

I don't think that'll work. The OV reacts to the oxygen in the air and I can't just simply vacuum seal a ziploc everytime in between uses.

Incorrect, it reacts to organic vapors (hence the name), not oxygen. Do what you want, but painters & woodworkers have been preserving their OV filters for years by keeping them in air tight containers in between uses. Once the organic vapors in the airtight container have been absorbed by the filter, no further degradation occurs

navier-stoked
Aug 30, 2004

Pingui posted:

The passive-aggressive cold civil war continues.

ah yes, the laboratories of democracy in action. now to do what all good lab scientists do and ignore the data and keep on trucking with my initial hypothesis forever. (also this truck runs over innocent people but this is just the cost of freedom.)

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Struensee posted:

Finishing off my last day on the pulmonary and infectious diseases services. It's been 6 long months, but I haven't caught COVID despite seeing quite a lot of COVID patients. Feels like being one day from retirement in a cop movie.

Cinch up that mask a little tighter today.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Chad Sexington posted:

One of the fun things about daycare going mask off is we're cycling through all the normal daycare crud and every week is a new "Is it a stomach bug or is it COVID" adventure.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Gio posted:

it’ll kick up, but its less and less each wave. right now mask usage is at rock bottom i’d say.

I had to go in to the office for something yesterday and there was not a single other mask in view (though to be fair a lot of people are still working from home for now so maskers probably are still just staying away) and at daycare I ussually see maybe one other mask among the parents on a given day and none among the staff even though they just had two positive cases in the building in the last few days.

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.
publix took down all the poly sneeze guards that were a good idea even without covid, lol

mags
May 30, 2008

now im free to mist my cashier in the face with deadly pathogens

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010

NeonPunk posted:

I don't think that'll work. The OV reacts to the oxygen in the air and I can't just simply vacuum seal a ziploc everytime in between uses.

This far into the pandemic and you don't have a vacuum sealer?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
lmao almost every rural rear end county in Iowa is actually considered to be "low" under the old CDC metrics because COVID is over so nobody is getting tested unless they have to go to the hospital. There's even a decent sized (for Iowa) city in the upper lefthand corner but it is the beating heart of Steve King country so not a single person there even believes COVID is real. There's no way that part of the state is having only a fraction of the already underreported number of cases that every other county with more than 25,000 people is having.

https://idph.iowa.gov/Emerging-Health-Issues/Novel-Coronavirus/COVID-19-Reporting

call_of_qthulhu
Nov 21, 2003

Fun Shoe

Phigs posted:

I wonder what that even does now. Can you really go masks on masks off masks on? It's gotta be breaking to people's minds to see their leaders whiplash advice like that.

I hope that it is breaking people's minds towards self defense.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Lawlicaust posted:

Plague company update:

The only person left in HR at this location after the mass resignations is a very early 20s intern. He’s been here for 3-4 months and doesn’t work full-time. He’s having to handle all HR complaints or processes. His life must be absolute hell.

Most people spend all day taking interviews or doing whatever they want. Despite the company’s “you must be in office, no flexibility” policy, most people have stopped coming in more than once or twice a week. there are so few people and no one left in HR to enforce the policy so no one gives a gently caress.

It’s a magical place right now. 5 more people gave notice this week. I realized that I was counting my time left wrong and I can leave in 4 weeks not 8 weeks. The resignation letter is already typed up. :)

What's the full story on this, this owns

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.

mags posted:

publix took down all the poly sneeze guards that were a good idea even without covid, lol

A nice implication about the complete abandonment of NPIs is the implication that we all love coughing and sneezing all over eachother and getting sick every two weeks in normal life

E Depois do Adeus
Jun 3, 2012

Nobody has better respect for intelligence than Donald Trump.

T-Paine posted:

A nice implication about the complete abandonment of NPIs is the implication that we all love coughing and sneezing all over eachother and getting sick every two weeks in normal life

Waiters actually like coming into work sick because it lets them show their loyalty

mags
May 30, 2008

the boomer/x work mentality that strength = working through illness while you basically roll the barrel and pull the trigger with every person you interact with

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
My wife's outpatient clinic has reinstated hard-line mask and visitor restrictions and covid admissions to her hospital are starting to tick-up again.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Just went to a county-run outdoor walk-up clinic down the street to get a PCR. Walked into the tent and the two women minding the desk scrambled to put their masks and shields on. I'd wager I was their first customer on the day. Hopefully this means there's no queue and I get my results sooner?

COVID OVER.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

NeonPunk has issued a correction as of 14:40 on Mar 4, 2023

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

E Depois do Adeus posted:

Waiters actually like coming into work sick because it lets them show their loyalty

See also: Your boss tells you that you're fired if you can't find someone to cover your shift, and no one wants to work your shift.

Turns out that that particular person didn't have authority to fire me, so his boss actually called me and gave me my job back about a week later

two-time fee
Jan 13, 2022

Platystemon posted:

Teeth are luxury bones.

Catching up to the thread after a bit of a SA break, this is already looking like a Thursday off well spent tomorrow.

You crew are the best, really happy places like these exist still.

Thanks to Trix for the spectacular OP again, had almost all my favs in it and then some.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

I don't think we can exactly conclude that reinfections are worse from this. We would expect the people with the most dysfunctional immune system to be the most likely to be reinfected and 3 infections during that time period is a lot.

But applying the heuristic of "always more/always worse", we can.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

humans are gonna have nine lives, like cats, except "lives" = "covid infections" and there's no guarantee you're gonna even make it to 9

:rubby:

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

looks like natty immunity in action

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Pingui posted:

I don't think we can exactly conclude that reinfections are worse from this. We would expect the people with the most dysfunctional immune system to be the most likely to be reinfected and 3 infections during that time period is a lot.

But applying the heuristic of "always more/always worse", we can.

Isn’t the issue that Covid makes your immune system dysfunctional? Even if these were a more immunocompromised group from the beginning then it just means that it will take more re-infections to start seeing it show up in people who were healthy before the first infection.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

WampaLord posted:

humans are gonna have nine lives, like cats, except "lives" = "covid infections" and there's no guarantee you're gonna even make it to 9

:rubby:

Humans showing up to the life party with half a sixer, buzzed already

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Raccooon posted:

Isn’t the issue that Covid makes your immune system dysfunctional? Even if these were a more immunocompromised group from the beginning then it just means that it will take more re-infections to start seeing it show up in people who were healthy before the first infection.

Probably, but I don't think that specific piece of research is the smoking gun we are waiting for.

Edit: Just the fact that their first infection cohort was ~19% hospitalized, indicates people in absolutely poo poo health as a baseline.

Pingui has issued a correction as of 16:54 on Mar 30, 2022

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Finally lockdowns are ending.

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2022/03/30/cdc-covid-cruise-travel-risk-assessment/7214943001/ posted:

CDC no longer warning travelers about risk of contracting COVID on cruise ships after 2 years
(..)
"Travelers will make their own risk assessment when choosing to travel on a cruise ship, much like they do in all other travel settings," Daigle said.

Daigle added that the CDC's decision to remove the notice was based on the pandemic's current state and a decrease in COVID cases on cruise ships over "the past several weeks."

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Pingui posted:

Finally lockdowns are ending.

"Over the past several weeks"

Just rip tearing through what tiny levels of protection exists while cases are low as they watch what's happening in Europe and elsewhere and know that it'll be here at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

NeonPunk posted:

You kinda can, slowly lower the ziploc slightly unzipped into a container of water to force the air out of the bag and then seal