Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

EL BROMANCE posted:

In the history of this thread, one single dude got horribly unlucky with OLED screen burn and that’s it.

I know one person who has owned an OLED and they had burn in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

EL BROMANCE posted:

In the history of this thread, one single dude got horribly unlucky with OLED screen burn and that’s it.
While there's been a lot of work done to limit burn-in, since it's still "a concern" I feel that it's better to spend the extra money on the BB warranty than have a false sense of security with Costco's warranty. Even if you never need it.

Ultimate Mango posted:

It cracked all by itself. I didn’t even touch it. Prove me wrong.
The tech dispatched to your house hilights the relevant clause saying physical damage is not covered, then fucks off to hit the other 25 appointments they need to get before the day is done.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

serebralassazin posted:

Yes they're different. QLED is a LED tv that uses quantum dots. OLED is an entirely different type of display.

And QD-OLED is an QLED with quantum dots.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

MikusR posted:

And QD-OLED is an QLED with quantum dots.

I can’t tell if you are trolling…

Pope Hilarius
May 3, 2007

Questions goons, I wanna simplify my home theater system. Through some fancy wiring, my TV is connected to a receiver/Apple TV in a closet some distance away. To change volume one has to visit said closet and rotate the volume knob on the receiver. The receiver drives old-fashion speakers next to the TV.

I want to keep the wall-mounted speakers but get rid of the equipment in the closet.

Is there a device that could connect my speakers to TV, allow me to adjust the volume from the TV itself, and be small enough to mount behind the TV?

Or should I really keep the receiver but get good universal remote to solve my problems?

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
That should be working with a fairly modern (8 years or so?) receiver and TV. You just need HDMI-CEC volume control.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

xgalaxy posted:

No?

https://www.theverge.com/2022/4/4/23009841/samsung-qd-oled-tv-s95b-preview

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
QD-OLED is, in fact, an OLED with Quantum Dots. Not LED

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Lite Brites are in fact OLED

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
Yea, I actually forgot about QD-OLED. Also, it really is an OLED that utilizes quantum dots. My friend actually just got the Alienware QD-OLED and says it looks amazing. Haven't been able to see it yet unfortunately.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Pope Hilarius posted:

Questions goons, I wanna simplify my home theater system. Through some fancy wiring, my TV is connected to a receiver/Apple TV in a closet some distance away. To change volume one has to visit said closet and rotate the volume knob on the receiver. The receiver drives old-fashion speakers next to the TV.

I want to keep the wall-mounted speakers but get rid of the equipment in the closet.

Is there a device that could connect my speakers to TV, allow me to adjust the volume from the TV itself, and be small enough to mount behind the TV?

Or should I really keep the receiver but get good universal remote to solve my problems?

For stereo or 2.1 the closest thing is the Sonos Amp connected by ARC, you can even get vertical wall mount brackets for it. For 3 or more channels you need a receiver.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

FilthyImp posted:

QD-OLED is, in fact, an OLED with Quantum Dots. Not LED

Lol my dumbass misread MikusR's original post. (which I'm assuming was just a typo)

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
Do all newer smart TVs have a scheduled ON feature where I can set a time for it to turn on or is it a case by case basis?

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Pope Hilarius posted:

If it's all within line of sight, a universal remote would be easiest. If not, get an IR repeater. My A/V guys installed the latter but honestly it was unnecessary, it's a cleaner setup just to use the universal remote.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Krime posted:

Do all newer smart TVs have a scheduled ON feature where I can set a time for it to turn on or is it a case by case basis?

I can't speak to other UI, but Google/Android tv has both power on/off timers that you can set to daily or just once.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

xgalaxy posted:

Why not both.

It will become even more fun. One of the companies that makes QD is working on powering them by electricity and not light.

ExtrudeAlongCurve
Oct 21, 2010

Lambert is my Homeboy
We're getting the lg c1 (our current TV is probably 15 years old by now), is there any problem with just not connecting it to the Internet?

We don't plan to use the native apps. Just gonna plug in three consoles and a Nvidia shield. I really don't want the TV to be online but would it be sad to not get firmware upgrades or whatever?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

My LG CX has never been online with zero issues, I'd guess the C1 will be fine as well.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I have 77" C1 and it has been always offline. No internet whatsoever.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Haha you really think it isn't listening for you to tell a visitor the wifi password so it can connect on its own and begin selling your info anyway

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

codo27 posted:

Haha you really think it isn't listening for you to tell a visitor the wifi password so it can connect on its own and begin selling your info anyway

Even then a pihole will fix that. I can’t imagine living without one.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Just gonna leave this here...

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

EL BROMANCE posted:

Ah, make that two dudes.

Though in my case the OLED screen was on my Galaxy S8 phone. And it was burn in from having been reading the forums too long in the SA app with the brightness turned up way too high on my phone.

So a pretty niche situation.
But also proof of why you shouldn't be on the Forums.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
There's an OLED theme for the app you know. I've never had that happen on 6 years worth of Samsung oleds.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
You're loving nuts not to go oled post c7 era and can afford it imo. Put this in the op.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Aware posted:

There's an OLED theme for the app you know. I've never had that happen on 6 years worth of Samsung oleds.

I did not know that.

I have enabled it, and it looks really dark and really ugly.

I'll try it for a few days.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
You do you, king. Make your own fancy css I'm sure they'll accept it if you put the effort in.

Also enable the blue light filter thing if you're doomscrolling at night. I read exclusively on my oled phone at night with what looks like orange text on black/nothing for years and no burn in/good for sleep.

Aware fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Apr 6, 2022

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
As usual, not entirely sure this is the right thread for this but here goes anyway. I'm curious if my receiver/TV setup has appreciable input lag to affect gaming, and if so, how to find out and correct it.

Receiver is an Onyko HT-S5800 and TV is an LG 55UK7700. I'm gaming on a PS4 Pro, and this isn't even something I really considered until my new roommate (an avid CoD player) pointed it out one night. I thought I just really sucked at FPS games (I mean, I do), but he says there is a marked difference between gaming on my setup and his.

I'm assuming if there is any lag introduced, it's either at the receiver stage or due to one of the TV's picture settings. I believe I have everything like TruMotion set to OFF on the television, but there may be something in there incurring lag. If it's the receiver, though, is there some setting common to these things that I haven't considered?

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
e: derp, i thought you wrote audio latency instead of input lag, disregard

but also, you should probably just try to plug the ps4 in directly just to be 100% sure it's the receiver (which it 95% for sure is, barring some ridiculous postprocessing video setting on the tv)

kliras fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Apr 6, 2022

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Ah, I caught your post before the edit. In any case, checking now the PS4 shows that it's outputting linear PCM. The Onkyo receiver has the PCM icon lit but there's also a Dolby logo icon lit next to it. I'll try later on tonight to run the PS4 directly to the TV but other than loading up a FPS is there any quicker way to test out whether there is lag?

Also, if it ends up being the receiver and I decide to keep the PS4 directly connected to the TV, will ARC still work to send the audio back out the TV to the receiver? Or should I go get an optical cable? Thanks for your help. :)

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
optical doesn't have the throughput to support pcm for surround/multichannel; it'll only send you a paltry stereo output

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

kliras posted:

optical doesn't have the throughput to support pcm for surround/multichannel; it'll only send you a paltry stereo output

I assume this means it only works if it's set to some sort of Dolby muxing as opposed to raw PCM?

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Hello, HDTV thread!
So here is my current TV situation:
Family Room - Vizio 55" monitor (doesn't have a tv tuner). Generally pretty ok. Doesn't have a really good remote but we use the TiVo remote and apple tv remote almost exclusively. Can't use them for playing movies off the usb stick so I have a vizio remote I got at goodwill which works enough. Doesn't have great local dimming. Got this at Costco back in early 2017 right before the superbowl.
Office/Game Room - Philips 55" "smart" tv. Piss poor smart features, generally really unresponsive interface. Can't connect to poo poo over wifi. Currently in my office as the xbox tv. Fine if just used for that and kept offline.
Living Room - Hisense HiSmart 4k Atv4. gently caress this thing's smart features. The tv lags so bad with basic input response and at least every other week has to be unplugged because it won't even turn on or off. It can take over a minute for it to respond to key presses on the remote. Picture is fine. My wife cannot/ will not deal with this and always calls me to do it for her / fix her problems with it. God forbid the tv goes wonky when I am out of the house.

Originally the HiSmart in the Living Room was supposed to be in the office and the Philips one was supposed to be in the Living Room. They swapped because I had a tv stand in the office which had a mount for the tv but the size of the mount was incompatible with the HiSmart so we traded. In theory since that tv is gone we could trade back and my wife would probably never notice except... the Android one does not have jacks which would allow me to plug in any of my NES, SNES, Sega Tower of Power, Saturn, PS1, PS2, yadda yadda. HDMI only.

So that one would either get sold off cheap which chaps my balls to do so, or put in the garage until the kids get a tv in their room (or rooms once we finish the addition).

The one which will be getting a new TV is the Family Room. That 55" Vizio can either come into my office or into the Living room. Most likely the office and the Philips back to the Living room.
So the demands for the new Family Room are:
*75-77" display with a good picture
*Either no smart features or
*The ability to turn that poo poo off for the sake of responsiveness of the tv.
*Good price
We will likely never, ever use the smart tv features since we use either TiVo, AppleTV or Xbox One attached to the TV. There is also a Switch and the Wii / NES Mini that attach to it but # of HDMI ports is not a deal breaker since I have an HDMI switch for it.

Im looking at the costco listings and they show

LG Nano91 for $1000
LG 8 Series for $900
LG Nano85 for $1250
LG UP7670 for $750
LG for UN9070 for $850
Samsung TU700D for $850
Samsung AU800D for $950
Samsung Q7 Qled for $1600
Samsung QLED Q6 series for $1200
Sony X80CK for $1300
Sony X81CH for $950

Best Buy seems to have similar sorts of models but a little higher priced, with lesser warranties but also Vizio QLED models for 849 and 999.

Edit: forgot to mention. It's just for watching tv and movies mainly. The kids get to play games on it occasionally, but Im not hooking up my Series X to it so whatever. There's no theater experience going on, so we aren't doing an OLED unless it was the same price. Mostly TLC / Discovery + and Netflix. The Bachelor will spend more time on the tv than Master Chief ever will.
Thoughts, oh wise goons?

otter fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Apr 7, 2022

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.
Hello otter,

Despite your personal experience with Hisense, they may be your best bet. Hisense U6G 75" or TLC 4-series 75" are both solid TVs around your budget.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Yeah, skip any LG that isn't oled, or any Samsung that isn't a qled 8 series or higher. The quality per dollar value just isn't there right now.

And current Google/Android televisions have the option to disable the smart features entirely for a dumb tv mode if you want.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
edit: I don't know if I've ever done that before but... wrong thread.

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Apr 7, 2022

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
Any idea on warranties for OLEDs? Here's my situation and thought process:

I have an LG 55" CX that I didn't buy a warranty for. It's my "game room" TV and doesn't get a huge number of hours, and I don't play the same games over and over, so that was an easy choice, it doesn't need a warranty.

I am having a 55" C1 delivered today (price drop to $1,100 and I couldn't say no), and this one is going in our living room. It's our main TV and will get a bunch of hours put on it every day. It's replacing an 11 year old Panasonic Plasma (ST30 or ST40 I think). This TV has never had burn in, but occasionally has image retention from the CNN news ticker/logo (I watch a maximum of 3 hours of CNN per day, but it's more like 1.5-2 hours). I have three choices:

1. Don't buy a warranty and just rely on the 1 year LG warranty and the extra 1 year warranty my credit card gives.
2. Buy LG's extended warranty adding 3 years (total of 4 year warranty) for $190.
3. Buy Best Buy's "Geek Squad" 5 year warranty for $250.

I hear a significant number of people talking about getting burn in on their OLED that I didn't hear from people who bought Panasonic Plasmas back when I bought the one I have. Are OLEDs more prone to burn in than the late-stage Plasmas? Or is the level of burn in I hear about the function of more OLEDs being sold and/or plasma fanboys unwilling to admit their set had burn in?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Today only, Amazon Treasure Truck has the 2021 model 65" Sony XR65X90J on sale for $998:

https://www.amazon.com/tt/webview

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Fremry posted:

I hear a significant number of people talking about getting burn in on their OLED that I didn't hear from people who bought Panasonic Plasmas back when I bought the one I have. Are OLEDs more prone to burn in than the late-stage Plasmas? Or is the level of burn in I hear about the function of more OLEDs being sold and/or plasma fanboys unwilling to admit their set had burn in?

Plasma burn-in works differently from OLED burn-in. For plasma, it’s more about not leaving one thing on too long, but for OLEDs it’s that running actually damaged the organic material in the OLED, so eventually every OLED pixel will burn in, and then cease to work at all (if the panel is in operation long enough). Because the damage builds cumulatively, even images that are kind of similar can cause burn-in, like talking-head shows will eventually burn in a head-shaped blob in the middle of the screen even if none of the elements on the screen are actually static.

When I bought my C9, the Best Buy warranty covered burn-in, if you’re worried about it. Recent models do a very good job of preventing it though, if you’d rather save the cash. I’ve had mine for 2 years and watched plenty of stuff with static parts and games and stuff and have seen zero issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cC4RO7z9XaA