Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Mordja posted:

Someone said that but looking at the two games' steamcharts, that's not really true?

Even then immortal empires isn't out.

I expect it'll dramatically swing when it does come out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Chaos Arghy downloads mods that make Grimgrog tougher

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I think they'll be more interested to see how DLC sells than they are in seeing how many players are active at a given time. Of course there's going to be some correlation there, but we know we're going to get some DLC, so it's super premature to start doomcasting based on player metrics right now.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Arghy posted:

Are you ready for my melt down trying to beat chorfs as dworfs? I lie awake at night imagining how my armies will fare against them.

They're gonna be like Dwarves but better in every way.

Just as devastating in ranged and artillery but better mobility with offensive melee units, magic, and likely some slave mechanic used to quickly build up their settlements. Plus superior hats.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

DaysBefore posted:

Chaos Arghy downloads mods that make Grimgrog tougher

The Chorfs made Black Orcs IIRC, so that tracks.

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

hope, n: desire accompanied by expectation of or belief in fulfilment

Doomykins posted:

I just want a ChArghy to emerge when the Chorf DLC drops.

Someone make a mod called WArghy that makes all orc armies lead by Grimgor tia

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

I think the thread is ready maybe for the overhaul to be called "Arghasms"

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Panfilo posted:

They're gonna be like Dwarves but better in every way.

Just as devastating in ranged and artillery but better mobility with offensive melee units, magic, and likely some slave mechanic used to quickly build up their settlements. Plus superior hats.

I'm hoping they have expensive powerful artillery but with large hit boxes and vulnerable to counter battery fire while their powder will be more wide spread but shorter ranged. I'm still mad that kislev gets hybrid powder armed infantry before dawi because in the lore it's very common for important dawi officers to be armed with pistols and blunderbusses. Dwarf warriors with pistols being a T2 unit would be amazing while long beards stay as dedicated melee and you could add great weapon ironbreakers with pistols too. Change hammerers to something similar to aspiring champions, small model count but beefy stats and tons of support auras for lords. Let's face it the amount of spear armed missile units has increased so give loving thunderers and quarrelers charge defense vs large.

I can't wait for the outpost mechanic and hiring empire heavy cav and mortars to my dawi army--oof outriders with grenade launchers with engineers restocking ammo YES PLEASE.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

The biggest and simplest gamechanging mod I've found is demonic diplomacy. It means order and chaos factions don't automatically start at war - so neither Daniel nor Katarin gets immediately dogpiled by the other side (at least nit quite so badly). There's still anti-player bias but it's not as ludicrous.

neonchameleon fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Apr 6, 2022

Shmtur
Jul 23, 2005

Raygereio posted:

Even comparing launch number is just silly.
For example WH2 didn't have to compete with the likes of Elden Ring. Also something happened in between 2017 and 2022 that might have caused people to be less willing pay 60 bucks on something less-then-essential like a videogame.

Warhammer 3 is also on gamepass and I'm sure that skews the count a bit.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Arghy posted:

I'm hoping they have expensive powerful artillery but with large hit boxes and vulnerable to counter battery fire while their powder will be more wide spread but shorter ranged. I'm still mad that kislev gets hybrid powder armed infantry before dawi because in the lore it's very common for important dawi officers to be armed with pistols and blunderbusses. Dwarf warriors with pistols being a T2 unit would be amazing while long beards stay as dedicated melee and you could add great weapon ironbreakers with pistols too. Change hammerers to something similar to aspiring champions, small model count but beefy stats and tons of support auras for lords. Let's face it the amount of spear armed missile units has increased so give loving thunderers and quarrelers charge defense vs large.

I can't wait for the outpost mechanic and hiring empire heavy cav and mortars to my dawi army--oof outriders with grenade launchers with engineers restocking ammo YES PLEASE.

The iconic Chaos Dwarf units are their fireglaive troopers (powerful short range hybrids with polearm/blunderbuss weapons) and their disgustingly powerful daemon artillery.

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

miao ying is erecting unshattering defenses as we speak

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Grabbed that mod that gives you Be'lakor at the start if you choose Undivided, and despite the fact that he has no red skill line at all, he's an absolute monster. Since build-a-bear doesn't eat up the loot you can throw it all on Be'lakor and have him tag team entire armies with your Prince.

Once he gets the Slaaneshi "I heal when units flee" thing, it's game over for whomever it is that you're fighting.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

I love how doom stacking has gotten built into lords, katrin with abuncha super cheap ice guard and my bear squad is hilarious. Nurgle tried to waddle up to me and i just kept putting that big AE slow on the ground while my archers fired and i dropped huge vortex after vortex on them.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Arghy posted:

Kislev's armored Kossars are kind of weird for their role though. An anemic short range attack with little ammo. It doesn't have much armor piercing and giving them +10% dmg/ammo upgrade doesn't improve much. The great weapon version gives up the silver shield making them even more difficult to use. So it's like a slightly lackluster T2 infantry with a pop gun.

Based on your idea, maybe dwarf warriors w/pistols are unlocked with Thunderers, being cost wise in line with quarrelers but sharing upgrades that Thunderers get. They'd be better in melee than Thunderers or quarrelers but have a weaker shorter ranged attack.

Thanes and lords get a skill unlocking a pistol attack which is functionally similar, and an aura effect that gives pistol units shoot while moving. Give the lords (and Belegar in particular) an Oathstone "mount" which is a flat cylindrical rock that two Dawi behind him are pushing him around on.

Rangers already get charge defense vs large which is helpful as they have decent melee defense allowing them to distract light cavalry.

Definitely agree make Hammerers a small elite unit. They need to find a way to buff their aoe and knockback; make these little dudes hit like Ogres (sixteen ogre bulls charging can knock an entire unit of swordsmen on their rear end, I've seen it) so that in addition to the inherent armor piercing of the unit it will disrupt lots of other unit types regardless. Slayers ought to get this effect too.

Iron breakers need charge REFLECT. The problem with giving them pistols is that they can only have 1 type of ranged attack and they already have satchel charges.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
I personally can't wait for the Chaos Dwarves to unleash their Chaos Thunderbarge, which will obviously be completely better than any regular Dawi Thunderbarge, on account of their superior technology, metallurgy, and magic.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
One nice thing about SFO was that there was an engineer squad of like sixteen which had grenade launchers with an excellent arc (they were like little mortars). They had a passive that gave all ranged and artillery like +8% reload. Cannon got a MASSIVE bonus vs large so an army with a bunch of these units got really bonkers.

They had also apparently figured out a way to give bonus damage to hammerers based on how hard they knocked enemies back so they could effectively crush crowds of low mass infantry as a result.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Loaded the game up again then got bored pretty quick.

My issue is I wanna play daemons but I don't wanna fight other daemons with them, that just seems boring.
I wish there was a mod that replaced all other daemons with order factions.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
rats are supposed to get pistols too as a gear choice so I propose a desperate alliance on this matter

they could maybe make the warlock engineers rockets not completely suck too, thatd be nice

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Communist Thoughts posted:

My issue is I wanna play daemons but I don't wanna fight other daemons with them, that just seems boring.

That seems to be a problem inherent to all tw games. You spend all of the early game fighting your own culture.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

litany of gulps posted:

I personally can't wait for the Chaos Dwarves to unleash their Chaos Thunderbarge, which will obviously be completely better than any regular Dawi Thunderbarge, on account of their superior technology, metallurgy, and magic.

Actually flying things was one of the few engineering fields that dawizhar fell behind but that was because they had insane flying fire creatures. I think lore wise they were also pretty much on par with the dawi in terms of metallurgy but they just had the need and slave labor to do things like mass producing plate armor. Zhufbar has steam drop hammers and they talk about how they're the ones who gave the empire the idea for the steam tanks by mass producing quality steel.

Panfilo posted:

Kislev's armored Kossars are kind of weird for their role though. An anemic short range attack with little ammo. It doesn't have much armor piercing and giving them +10% dmg/ammo upgrade doesn't improve much. The great weapon version gives up the silver shield making them even more difficult to use. So it's like a slightly lackluster T2 infantry with a pop gun.

Based on your idea, maybe dwarf warriors w/pistols are unlocked with Thunderers, being cost wise in line with quarrelers but sharing upgrades that Thunderers get. They'd be better in melee than Thunderers or quarrelers but have a weaker shorter ranged attack.

Thanes and lords get a skill unlocking a pistol attack which is functionally similar, and an aura effect that gives pistol units shoot while moving. Give the lords (and Belegar in particular) an Oathstone "mount" which is a flat cylindrical rock that two Dawi behind him are pushing him around on.

Rangers already get charge defense vs large which is helpful as they have decent melee defense allowing them to distract light cavalry.

Definitely agree make Hammerers a small elite unit. They need to find a way to buff their aoe and knockback; make these little dudes hit like Ogres (sixteen ogre bulls charging can knock an entire unit of swordsmen on their rear end, I've seen it) so that in addition to the inherent armor piercing of the unit it will disrupt lots of other unit types regardless. Slayers ought to get this effect too.

Iron breakers need charge REFLECT. The problem with giving them pistols is that they can only have 1 type of ranged attack and they already have satchel charges.
Everything that has charge defense should get reflect there's no arguing that. Honestly all dawi missile troops should be able to fire on the move too, their not a loving fast unit they won't kite and i can't imagine a more stable creature that could likely charge a flint lock on the move. Removing satchel charges and giving ironbreakers drakefire pistols shoulda already been done. The selection of lords and heroes is also pitiful so adding dwarf lords with pistols that fire on the move and in combat is only a good thing. Rangers need to be moved to their own thing also, melee variants, powder variants, ranger heroes and lords, ranger artillery pieces that already come with snipe and stalk.

Empire needs some hero/lord love too, it's hard to remember that vanilla empire doesn't have the caster lords. All powder factions should get hybrid and pure ranged lord/hero variants. I honestly feel hammerers should be heroes you recruit but come with 4-8 models, make them offensive heroes while thanes become defensive heroes or better yet just add like 3-4 variants of thanes, great weapons, dual weapons, axe and shield.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
Does kaedrins mod manager work for TW3 or are we stuck with the default CA one for the time being?

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

Communist Thoughts posted:

Funky See Funky Do posted:

That seems to be a problem inherent to all tw games. You spend all of the early game fighting your own culture.

There's a 'Change start settlement' mod for WH2 that helps with this. Hopefully it shows up for 3 soon.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Your Brain on Hugs posted:

Does kaedrins mod manager work for TW3 or are we stuck with the default CA one for the time being?

KMM hasn't been updated yet, sadly

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
What is the major drawback of the chaos dwarves? It seems they're "Dwarves, but also with magic" which seems like a step up from "just dwarves". Are there just less of them in the lore to make up for that or something?

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀

smug jeebus posted:

There's a 'Change start settlement' mod for WH2 that helps with this. Hopefully it shows up for 3 soon.

Yeah, I'd like a mod that basically just rolled the dice on starting positions so any faction could be starting anywhere. This would probably need to remove the climate penalties on settlements as well though, so you don't start in an area your faction hates so you're just instantly hosed (like any order race starting in the chaos wastes)

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Collapsing Farts posted:

What is the major drawback of the chaos dwarves? It seems they're "Dwarves, but also with magic" which seems like a step up from "just dwarves". Are there just less of them in the lore to make up for that or something?

Yeah there arent alot of em and majority of army comp should be slave fodder. But given how that turned out with Skaven...

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Collapsing Farts posted:

They are dwarves supported by hobgoblin chaff, including light cav, monstrous cavalry, magic, and even bigger artillery.

Their drawback is that their society worships and is being destroyed by late stage capitalism. It is impossible to accrue enough resources to avoid consuming themselves from within. Their economy should probably get weaker over time until they just disappear, as if forgotten about during an edition change.

E: they'll probably copy dark elf slavery mechanics and have some of the best income in the game as long as they keep fighting and taking captives but if they ever stop winning wars their income could dry up as they work their people to death

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Apr 7, 2022

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

KPC_Mammon posted:

They are dwarves supported by hobgoblin chaff, including light cav, monstrous cavalry, magic, and even bigger artillery.

Their drawback is that their society worships and is being destroyed by late stage capitalism. It is impossible to accrue enough resources to avoid consuming themselves from within. Their economy should probably get weaker over time until they just disappear, as if forgotten about during an edition change.

E: they'll probably copy dark elf slavery mechanics and have some of the best income in the game as long as they keep fighting and taking captives but if they ever stop winning wars their income could dry up as they work their people to death

Their Society actually does not give a crap about capitalism. They are just an ever growing Industrial Empire ruining everything they touch and enslaving anyone they can continue growing their machine, which exists to grow and enslave.

Collapsing Farts posted:

Well they also have more powerful Warmachines as well. Their downside in Lore was that they were fairly small in number so their stuff was expensive, outside of their Hobgoblin and other slave chaff.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Dwarves just need some units that are specifically designed to deal with Skaven armies that have had a million ways to dismember them added with DLC.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

I imagine they'll likely face a really constraining economy where if they don't get more and more slaves they'll just start facing massive attrition. In the lore they were held back because of their numbers like imagine a 20 stack with 3 chorf units.

What i don't get is playing this campaign and realizing how much i just don't care about it and just want loving IE is why didn't they just put 90% of their work into IE. You want a buffer game before you make the giant map sure but spend all of your dev time making the product that your entire goddamn player base wants and put a bare min into the buffer while you perfect the rest. I'm auto resolving all these final battles because gently caress i just don't care and i have zero investment in the story line. I appreciate just wandering and fighting in the realms of chaos more than the driving quest. They should have released the game with this place holder map and basically used it as a balancing tool for no more than a month before you release the main game which is IE. Work out all the technical kinks and faction balance issues for a month.

It's like they didn't learn from vortex and the WE campaign at all.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Collapsing Farts posted:

Everyone kinda forgets it when they are hyping themselves about Chaos Dwarves, but their roster is built around their Greenskin war slaves, with the actual Chaos Dwarves and their war machines being pretty rare and considered super elite, so I think they will play really differently from normal Dwarves. I assume everything outside late-game doomstacks will be mostly various Greenskin units serving as chaff and cavalry with a small core of Chaos Dwarf infantry and war machines. So probably more similar to Skaven than Dwarves, just more durable overall, with more heavily armored infantry instead of long ranged weapon teams as their upper tier choices.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Designing chorfs sounds like it's pretty difficult. So lorewise you'd have to start with chorf lords with exclusive non-chorf units until T4 or perhaps T3, but people probably want to play chaos dwarves, not orks/hobgoblins led by chorfs.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

You could use the TK unit limits to ensure you'll always have a core of chorfs and lore wise you wouldn't see a dawizhar lord without at least a body guard. It'd be real fun to basically be playing greenskins lite where you had 1 trust worthy stack of doom with 4 questionable stacks that could rebel on you. I'd have fun with a hobbo lord with abuncha wolf archer units doing the heavy lifting while you fed boyz and gobbos into the front line. It'd all pay off when i fought with my main army fielding insane artillery being guarded by a few chorf units.

They'd play with many chaff armies that have horrible leadership but mechanic wise not winning a single battle could result in all your chaff armies going hostile. Turn them into old school waaagh armies that don't belong to you but follow you around with insanely large reinforcement ranges. You wouldn't need to maintain them or recruit them but you also wouldn't be able to do much without them so you'd have this super strong stack being constantly surrounded by chaff armies that could turn on you if you're not careful. In the lore the hobbo khanate basically owned everything north of cathay so you could represent that by having literally 10's of weak armies just running wild in the chaos steppe so you'd have to try and lure a few of them down risking them attacking you haha.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

Torrannor posted:

Designing chorfs sounds like it's pretty difficult. So lorewise you'd have to start with chorf lords with exclusive non-chorf units until T4 or perhaps T3, but people probably want to play chaos dwarves, not orks/hobgoblins led by chorfs.

Just have unit caps so you can recruit a small number of late game units before turn 70. Also implement this for every other faction.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Just create unique combined units that consist of like, 5 chaos dwarves herding 80 hobgoblins around with whips and angry hats. Would feel thematic and would avoid the feeling of half the roster just beeing regular greenskin units

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Chorfs could work for trying out the system I talked about earlier where you can always recruit as many hobgoblin units as you want but actual chorfs had to slowly be added to a recruitment pool, making them hard to replace quickly. Recruitment buildings at higher tiers could increase the rate and maximum number you could bank at a time.

MP could balance with cost.

E: :doh: yeah Nurgle would be the obvious model for that.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Apr 7, 2022

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
I can see a nurgle-esque system where buildings give access to infinite low tier hog goblin chaff and higher tier chorfs on a timer, low level buildings have a long timer and it getting shorter the more the building is upgraded.

Drunken_Pirate
May 7, 2007
I thought I'd try a fresh Kislev campaign after the new patch. So far today I've experienced 3 blue screen crashes and some absolute bullshit in Tzeentch's realm where Miao Ying sniped the objective despite me making it to the island first. It's a real shame how this game ended up. Hopefully it'll continue to improve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-Bit Dracula
Dec 31, 2007

Found no answer googling. Will mods disable achievements?