Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I have it as an audiobook. Very interesting but the minute details of every little script change gets to be too much after a while. A Sequel Trilogy version would be more interesting because you’d get to see the inner workings of a poo poo show. Lucas was absolutely winging it back in the day, but they went exponentially worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

Chairman Capone posted:

I have the ebook copy of what says is the third edition from 2008, but I haven't read it in a while. I remember it being an interesting look at the movies, especially the discarded ideas and influences, but very dismissive of the EU. I think the section on Young Indiana Jones is about as long as his section on the EU.

Back when the Disney buyout happened the author was still around and said that once the sequel trilogy was over, he was going to write a sequel book that would basically cover everything at Lucasfilm after the release of Episode III. I think he vanished from online even before TFA came out.

Disney killed that book idea and then he started posting his stuff about the ST production on a blog and they killed that too

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

I think that was J.W. Rinzler, who did official making-of books for the Lucas movies. Some of it was a little sanitized (like allowing Lucas to slip a mention of Midichlorians into transcripts of notes that are allegedly from 1978), but his books are really good on the whole. His making-of book for Episode 3 tracks the entire production cycle and includes stuff like Lucas spending 6 months promising he'll have a script "next week", and Rick McCallum putting fake meetings together with the Art Department so they can try to pry story information out of Lucas about what the gently caress they're supposed to be designing for the movie.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

https://twitter.com/jennyenicholson/status/1510451297543020544?s=21&t=usrAFwKkXfpO3wiWwAKc7A

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

https://twitter.com/jennyenicholson/status/1509778169586335748?s=21&t=usrAFwKkXfpO3wiWwAKc7A

This is kind of hosed up.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

https://twitter.com/jennyenicholson/status/1508170237849395207?s=21&t=D4PAZqzrSv8DrQM8EA3MdQ

Last one for now.

It’s clear from this that it’s never going down in price, because there’s too much involved, and that it’s absolutely not worth that price.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Apr 4, 2022

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I went to Disney World once when I was like 10 and have no urge to go back, so clearly this kind of stuff isn't for me, but it seems like the draw for a Star Wars thing at the park would be walking around a full-sized model of the Millennium Falcon or the cantina or something. The lightsaber fights are neat I guess but I have zero urge to stay in a Hotel But Star Wars. Do other parks of the park have like narratives and stuff going on? That would just turn me off to it immediately.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I didn’t get to go the Disney World until I was 18 and still enjoyed it a lot. But thousands of dollars for a two night experience would be pretty hard to justify if it were a solid experience. So far this is a giant botch job.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

thrawn527 posted:

https://twitter.com/jennyenicholson/status/1508170237849395207?s=21&t=D4PAZqzrSv8DrQM8EA3MdQ

Last one for now.

It’s clear from this that it’s never going down in price, because there’s too much involved, and that it’s absolutely not worth that price.

Kind of sad that that character isn't singing Leia's drugged out version of the main theme from the Holiday Special.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Rochallor posted:

I went to Disney World once when I was like 10 and have no urge to go back, so clearly this kind of stuff isn't for me, but it seems like the draw for a Star Wars thing at the park would be walking around a full-sized model of the Millennium Falcon or the cantina or something. The lightsaber fights are neat I guess but I have zero urge to stay in a Hotel But Star Wars. Do other parks of the park have like narratives and stuff going on? That would just turn me off to it immediately.

For whatever reason they made a whole new planet to walk around on, and you do get to go inside the Falcon in the line for the ride where you pilot it. With that being said the planet is pretty well done imo and there are street vendors selling stuff that's supposed to be "in universe" so you won't find like, Mickey Mouse shirts but will see the robes and little plush lothcats and stuff like that.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

The next wave of Essential Legends releases is announced. X-Wing: Bacta War, Old Republic: Deceived, and the Revan novel (lol).

I don't know if I'd call any of these essential (especially the latter two), though I get why they're being released. It's always surprising to me that The Old Republic game is not only still going, but I guess still going strong. I know last year TOR and Squadrons actually had tie-in events for each other on the tenth anniversary of TOR's release.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I think they’re slowly doling out the Rogue Squadron books until the movie finally comes out. Of course that’s on hold now I think. The first one came our way last fall, and Wedge’s Gamble comes out tomorrow.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I would certainly put the X-Wing series down as essential Star Wars novels.

Any news on the release date? Seems to late for the KOTOR novels to get a boost from SWTOR's latest expansion and to early to ride any to the KOTOR Remakes hype.

Or maybe they were more popular than I realized since I skipped.them both.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Apparently the Lucasfilm company gift for the holidays accidentally revealed there's a "Tales of the Jedi" show in production, so maybe they're tying into that?

The High Republic stuff is also still running, and Old Republic era stuff is kind of the closest equivalent from Legends.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

So in the new unabridged Wedge’s Gamble audiobook suddenly Zsinj is getting pronounced as “Jinja”, with a slight hint of an S at the beginning. Previously, including the last audiobook which just came out last year, it’s always rhymed with “Singe”. Weird.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

the dread warlord ginger

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

You thought Horse Pilot was silly? Get a load of Warlord Golden Retriever.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Warlord Banjō Ginga

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

There's a council meeting a little later in the book and it gets pronounced "Jinja" another 20 times. A very strange break with 28 year of precedent.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n455X_l2RVM

So anyways here's a parallel that I never noticed before but is scarily close when you put them back to back. Atris, Nihilus, their students, betrayal, and the annihilation both of them will lead to if they continue down their chosen paths.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Just finished Shadows of the Empire, swear it was longer but might just be my brain filling in stuff with the game on 64. Anyway couldn’t think of what to read next soooooo decided to reread the vong series for first time since 2002.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

a sexual elk posted:

Just finished Shadows of the Empire, swear it was longer but might just be my brain filling in stuff with the game on 64. Anyway couldn’t think of what to read next soooooo decided to reread the vong series for first time since 2002.

This was a repost from the last thread but it's a pretty good breakdown of the story was split across the multimedia project and has an interview with one of the game devs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gsmE_hoNsI

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Doctor Spaceman posted:

This was a repost from the last thread but it's a pretty good breakdown of the story was split across the multimedia project and has an interview with one of the game devs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gsmE_hoNsI

Holy poo poo just remembered I have a couple Shadows comics locked away

I’ll dig em out for a pic, they gotta be worth $20 by now

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Reading through Rogue Squadron from the X-Wing series and it’s quite fun, but the male-gazey writing is a bit off putting: every time a woman character is introduced its “slender leg” this and “alluring brown eyes” that. Guess I was in the target demographic when I originally read it 20+ years ago though. Do the other books get better about this?

Tekopo fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Apr 7, 2022

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Tekopo posted:

Reading through Rogue Squadron from the X-Wing series and it’s quite fun, but the male-gazey writing is a bit off putting: every time a woman character is introduced its “slender leg” this and “alluring brown eyes” that. Guess I was in the target demographic when I originally read it 20+ years ago though. Do the other books get better about this?

every lady is extremely attractive and horney for Corran Horn(ey)

It doesn't really get better until Aalston takes over IIRC

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

So far it’s really only Mirax amd Erisi. The latter of whom is clearly doing it to pump him for information. In hindsight it’s so beyond obvious that she’s the traitor.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
With a name like Erisi I'd think that was enough of a giveaway, but not every nerd who reads 90s Star Wars books is up to snuff on their vengeful Greek goddesses.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I first read these when I was 9 or 10 so I while I was somewhat familiar with Greek mythology I missed it entirely.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Tekopo posted:

Wraith Squadron dunks on it pretty hard early in the book and it’s awesome. Kell Tainer is set up as the new Corran Horn-type star Attractive Main Protagonist and the moment he tries to hit on the Attractive Female pilot, she shuts him down hard.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

I've been listening to the audio books for Fate of the Jedi and it surprises me that the narrator gave Corran a posh British-y kinda accent considering I always associated Corellians with a kinda drawl like Han had in the OT movies.

Dunno if Fate gets as stupid as Legacy did but i gotta admit I'm intrigued about this force madness/illness thing and a race called The Mind Drinkers can only be stupidly awesome right?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

FOTJ ends up being about as bad as LOTF. Though it takes a while to get to that point. It was mildly intriguing early on with them trying to figure out why Jacob fell by visiting the places he went after the NJO and Bug Nest Orgy Trilogy, but then it falls apart fast. Turns out Denning is as bad at writing teen romance as he is at everything else. There’s some incredibly cringey poo poo ahead.

The Hand of Thrawn Doulogy unabridged audiobooks also gave Corran a Britishy sounding accent, but these new Rogue Squadron audiobooks are back to an generic American accent.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

The unabridged Hand of Thrawn books (and Fate of the Jedi) were read by Marc Thompson, but the new Rogue Squadron audiobooks are being read by Henry Thomas, so it makes sense that there would be a change in how certain voices are performed. If I had to guess, it probably just comes down to Thompson being a more experienced VA and trying to differentiate the characters more, while Thomas has mostly been working in live-action so might not be stretching as far to make all the characters feel unique

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

“Wait the name Abeloth sounds familiar” *checks wookiepedia* OH NO ITS THAT ABELOTH!

Back in 2014-15 I had started playing the Fantasy Flight Star Wars RPG and long story short we ended up with super OP Jedi characters and one of the players had gone full on with the mind trick/illusion power and I distinctly remember there was an argument about how one of the upgrades said you could increase the amount of people your powers worked on from 1 to 2 and not a whole crowd like he wanted to do in the moment.

The DM was constantly saying no to all the stupid crazy bullshit that guy wanted to do and one of them was his request to fly our ship into the maw so he could go apprentice under Abeloth in the force.

I don’t even know her full deal as it applies to the Fate of the Jedi but I IMMEDIATELY am becoming very wary that the bullshit is about to start in this story.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

If we're talking Legends SW audiobooks, the Darth Bane Trilogy worked so well at least in part because the narrator was fantastic.
https://www.audible.com/pd/Path-of-Destruction-Audiobook/B009PSMXXU

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

The Shame Boy posted:

“Wait the name Abeloth sounds familiar” *checks wookiepedia* OH NO ITS THAT ABELOTH!

Back in 2014-15 I had started playing the Fantasy Flight Star Wars RPG and long story short we ended up with super OP Jedi characters and one of the players had gone full on with the mind trick/illusion power and I distinctly remember there was an argument about how one of the upgrades said you could increase the amount of people your powers worked on from 1 to 2 and not a whole crowd like he wanted to do in the moment.

The DM was constantly saying no to all the stupid crazy bullshit that guy wanted to do and one of them was his request to fly our ship into the maw so he could go apprentice under Abeloth in the force.

I don’t even know her full deal as it applies to the Fate of the Jedi but I IMMEDIATELY am becoming very wary that the bullshit is about to start in this story.

Definite :fuckoff: moment at my table. Yeesh.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Troy Denning got started doing D&D stuff and Abeloth just seems like a fuckin D&D thing to me.

Moose King
Nov 5, 2009

I mean, Abeloth is a ancient, powerful, tentacled, eldritch magic being and D&D has a race of ancient, powerful, tentacled, eldritch magic beings called Aboleths, so yeah that's pretty much right on the money.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Thanks for giving me another reason to dislike Denning. I didn't need mote of a reason, but thanks regardless.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

abeloth is force cthulu and that's just as stupid as it sounds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

When the Solo movie showed the tentacle monster around the Maw, I thought for sure it was meant to be Abeloth.