Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Justice League vs The Fatal Five was pretty fun, but otherwise, yeah.

Also nice to see Lois Lane given some proper character, so many versions struggle to do anything with her.

Always a favorite:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JU2hKAnz9w

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Das Boo posted:

Today I formally accepted an offer for BG layout on that Superman show posted a while back. :3: Also we picked up like, half my crew from Pantheon and Jane Bak is our AD. The budget's tight, but it's being very expertly designed!

Molto bene!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

BG layout art is some of the most mindblowing goddamn stuff I've seen, and it's a shame how little attention it gets sometimes compared to character animation. If I met a genie and had to choose one thing to be good at, that might be it

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I still think about the Membrane garage. poo poo was so cool.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

CelticPredator posted:

I was interested when they cast Jack Quaid as Superman. That dude kicks rear end and he’s been awesome in everything as of late.

He was my favorite part of the new scream movie

Screaming's his specialty!

https://twitter.com/jackquaid92/status/1445847818720006145

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

Data Graham posted:

BG layout art is some of the most mindblowing goddamn stuff I've seen, and it's a shame how little attention it gets sometimes compared to character animation. If I met a genie and had to choose one thing to be good at, that might be it

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Lord and Miller continue to rule.

They are insane if they think the academy could get Miyazaki on stage, though.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

https://twitter.com/variety/status/1511768309951127553?s=21&t=hC7nePZk391lJ0arsk5yMQ

I hope this continues the trend of Pixar stretching its wings a little more like they have been the last few years. Obviously Disney is gonna keep them making sequels to their well-known franchises but if their original pictures bring in more perspectives or stretch into more mature themes it will be a good way to separate them from WDAS.

I’m sort of curious to know what is gonna get a sequel after Lightyear comes out. I would have guessed Coco but I have a feeling that Disney being Disney, they would see that as overlapping with the current new hotness Encanto.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
I don't know how the corporate structure works, does that mean we've seen the last film directed by Domee Shi? Kinda sad about that.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

pokeyman posted:

I don't know how the corporate structure works, does that mean we've seen the last film directed by Domee Shi? Kinda sad about that.

Andrew Stanton was promoted to the exact same position in 2006, and he's directed Wall-E and Finding Dory.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Wittgen posted:

Andrew Stanton was promoted to the exact same position in 2006, and he's directed Wall-E and Finding Dory.

Excellent!

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

DC Murderverse posted:

https://twitter.com/variety/status/1511768309951127553?s=21&t=hC7nePZk391lJ0arsk5yMQ

I hope this continues the trend of Pixar stretching its wings a little more like they have been the last few years. Obviously Disney is gonna keep them making sequels to their well-known franchises but if their original pictures bring in more perspectives or stretch into more mature themes it will be a good way to separate them from WDAS.

I’m sort of curious to know what is gonna get a sequel after Lightyear comes out. I would have guessed Coco but I have a feeling that Disney being Disney, they would see that as overlapping with the current new hotness Encanto.

Cool news!

And I would also guess Encanto.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Would they do Encant2 before they try for Frozen 3? Or is F3 already in development?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Encant2: Mirabel kills the evil magic spirit that controls the house and takes its power and gives everyone big magic rooms and also she can fly now or something.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I meant sequels to Pixar stuff they’re not gonna make Pixar start making movies to things they didn’t make.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Wittgen posted:

Andrew Stanton was promoted to the exact same position in 2006, and he's directed Wall-E
Hooray!

Wittgen posted:

and Finding Dory.
Oh no!

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I was chatting on and off with a friend while watching Finding Dory and every time he asked me what was going on in the film, I had to say "It's a chase scene."

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

DC Murderverse posted:

I meant sequels to Pixar stuff they’re not gonna make Pixar start making movies to things they didn’t make.

Sorry I'm dumb and have conflated Disney Animation with Pixar multiple times here and elsewhere. TBH this probably won't be the last time.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

DC Murderverse posted:

my feeling on sequels is that... if a kid has a life changing adventure where they find themselves... it'll be weird if they have ANOTHER one. Coco in particular is named after the grandmother, so.. I guess if they wanted to do a story about the grandmother in the afterlife?? Otherwise I feel like it'd be making a sequel just for the sake of it

Of the sequels Pixar has made to date, the only one that really made sense to me was The Incredibles because of course superheroes would encounter more and more danger, and centering the film on Elastigirl was a logical next step. of course, that sequel is hated here (I enjoyed it), but conceptually there's no issue with doing more films in that universe. Toy Story's sequels did not make sense to me initially, but once they released and they explored different themes, I understood why they were necessary

personally, though, I still think Monsters Inc should've been one-and-done. I'm glad Ratatouille was one and done, for example, it's my fave Pixar movie and it's fine by itself... it's a complete story.

finding dory apparently was crazy successful so I wouldn't be surprised if they did another Finding film

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Das Boo posted:

I was chatting on and off with a friend while watching Finding Dory and every time he asked me what was going on in the film, I had to say "It's a chase scene."

To be fair, there's only so many kinds of action scenes you can do with fish, probably.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Ghost Leviathan posted:

To be fair, there's only so many kinds of action scenes you can do with fish, probably.

I guess we'll see when Aquaman 4 comes out.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Look the scene with the giant clam is one of the funniest things I've ever seen in my life and drove me to tears so Finding Dory is alright with me

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
I took my mom to Finding Dory because she enjoys light fare and I like doing stuff with her. The line with Sigourney Weaver introducing the park had my entire theater cracking up. Between that and the Octopus, I got felt like I got money's worth. I think the ending is a bit formulaic but I really liked the movie.

Two years later, I went a family member's house with a young child who watched Dory on repeat. In the span of a weekend, I saw it close to a dozen times at various stages. I've seen enough, but I remember it fondly.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Incredibles 2 was OK, but given how good Incredibles was, it was very disappointing. I agree that most of the Pixar sequels have not felt justified, even if the movie was fine.

I don't know if Encanto did well enough to push them to do a sequel. It did well but weren't the songs the thing that really took off? There's got to be a cheaper way to capitalize some new Lin Manuel Miranda songs than a feature length animation.

Megera
Sep 9, 2008
Toy Story 2 is the best Pixar sequel and the best of the Toy Story franchise :colbert:

Agreed that most of their movies don't warrant sequels. Finding Dory worked for the most part because it follows a different character and ended up being good (not great, but better than Onward and Brave).

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I love Monsters University. I like it more than the original to be honest. Mike realizing sometimes you can't be whatever you want to be even if you work harder than anyone else just worked really well for me.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I thought Finding Dory worked because it put you in Dory's head, so you understood where she was coming from. In the first movie you saw her from Marlin's perspective, so her memory issues were frustrating and weird and irritating to deal with, but in the sequel you see how much it's hurting HER too. It's not fun for her, she's not doing it on purpose, and it gets worse when she gets frustrated and upset. There are whole sequences where she's completely lucid throughout and everything is going really well, but then one stupid thing gets in the way and the fog starts to roll in, and she starts to spiral and her memories get more and more fragmented and you can see her scrambling to hold it together. It was an interesting character study at least.

I also liked Nemo and Marlin's subplot because Marlin kicked off the whole plot by being a raging rear end in a top hat and his son is NOT letting him forget it. Every time Marlin's wavering, Nemo's just like "Dude, Dory's only in this situation because you chased her off because you couldn't handle her brain problems. You were a dick. So deal with it."

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Megera posted:

Toy Story 2 is the best Pixar sequel and the best of the Toy Story franchise :colbert:

Toy Story 3 also, although Toy Story 4 was kind of trash.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Toy Story 3 had a really excellent sendoff and closure of the Andy story and the cycle begins again.. Then 4 had to get made because money.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Wittgen posted:

Lord and Miller continue to rule.

They are insane if they think the academy could get Miyazaki on stage, though.

Don't sleep on this article, y'all.

I remember Brad Bird making a similar point re: The animation "genre" versus the animation "medium" in (I believe) The Incredibles commentary.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Yeah, it's super loving goofy to put Anomalisa and Minions in the same goddamn box.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Macaluso posted:

I love Monsters University. I like it more than the original to be honest. Mike realizing sometimes you can't be whatever you want to be even if you work harder than anyone else just worked really well for me.

First watch I was like "what is this dumb poo poo"

Second watch I loved it

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Monsters Inc sequels and spin-offs seem to bump up against a ceiling because the concept of "get it, monsters scaring kids at bedtime is like a job" doesn't really have much potential beyond 1 comedy movie. They had a great cast and understandably wanted to get more out of them, but it's just like, what else can you really do with that?

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Das Boo posted:

Yeah, it's super loving goofy to put Anomalisa and Minions in the same goddamn box.

although it makes sense as high society still sees all animation (aimed for kids or not) as children's cartoons and not "real" art

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Feldegast42 posted:

although it makes sense as high society still sees all animation (aimed for kids or not) as children's cartoons and not "real" art

I continue to be find it hilarious that "CG cartoon" and "CG cartoon but the characters are based on actors" basically register differently to people as if 90% of the most popular movies in the world aren't Who Framed Roger Rabbit.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA

ImpAtom posted:

I continue to be find it hilarious that "CG cartoon" and "CG cartoon but the characters are based on actors" basically register differently to people as if 90% of the most popular movies in the world aren't Who Framed Roger Rabbit.

Tbf those movies also have a very hard time getting recognition as "real" "art" from academy voters

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Finding Dory is weird because it's a collection of really great disparate elements. Sigorney Weaver and the clam are hysterical. Ty Burrell's beluga was pretty funny ("My beautiful gift!") Whoever decided the whale should make a squeaky toy noise whenever she ran into something deserves a percentage of the take on that movie. And the sadlab scene is one of their strongest, I think. The wide shot with Dory and her parents on opposite sides that just holds in silence and stillness for, like, 5 seconds is so good. And I adore every sadlab moment that emotionally wrecks me with happy emotions. I love Coco's moment of remembrance for the same reason.

But despite all this the plot doesn't really come together.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Papercut posted:

Tbf those movies also have a very hard time getting recognition as "real" "art" from academy voters

Western/American society as a whole has never seemed to make the distinction between the animation/comics medium and animation/comic media. Maus is different from Spectacular Spider Man Vol. #33 even though they're both "comics." Watership Down is very different than Wreck-It Ralph. It'd be like deciding that "We shouldn't give an Oscar to Shindler's List because it's a live-action movie like Cannonball Run 2 and we want our art to be taken seriously."

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I'm just curious if any bothered to check out Disenchantment season 4, which apparently secretly dropped at some point.
When I saw it I briefly tried to remember what had happened and then decided to ignore it. It's all just so...forgettable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Darth TNT posted:

I'm just curious if any bothered to check out Disenchantment season 4, which apparently secretly dropped at some point.
When I saw it I briefly tried to remember what had happened and then decided to ignore it. It's all just so...forgettable.

I watched it all in the last few weeks but it’s kinda diminishing returns at this point. I do love the voice cast so I’m just sticking around to hear them say stuff in silly voices tbh

It immediately made me wish I was watching Futurama instead so I started a rewatch of that on Disney plus, gonna binge it all