Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

D34THROW posted:

The only time I've shot a 72 in my life was on 9 holes in the pouring rain.

It's interesting because it doesn't affect every green the same, or at least, it doesn't seem to. We were regularly leaving putts 6 feet short, then the next hole sending them 10 foot long. Just really strange and difficult to read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

D34THROW posted:

The only time I've shot a 72 in my life was on 9 holes in the pouring rain.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

Aw, rat farts!

I haven't seen that movie in forever. I should watch it again soon :allears:

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Work gave us a 'metal health day' off today, but of course its way too lovely out to actually golf (but tbh I woulda chickened out anyway since I'd been so bad lately at the range). So I went to a covered/heated driving range and had myself a bit of a journey.
After warming up with the PW I switched to my 7, my plan was to basically just it to practice what should be one of my primary clubs as a beginner. As a continuation of the past like 3 months it was....very rough.
I stopped swinging and just walked for a few minutes to relax, and decided that I was thinking about too much. Overthinking the grip, my arms, my stance, etc etc etc. I went back and just tried to feel more natural without "correcting" anything at all. Within maybe 6 swings I was getting my best contact of the winter.
This was one of those places that auto feeds another ball as long as you have a pre-filled card with money remaining...
I ended up hitting around 260 balls total.

My final swings were going 56° -> 5i (around 2 balls each) and essentially hitting them evenly spaced between 75 and 170 carry yards. Mostly where I was aiming too. It was so loving cool. Of course, I didn't hit my driver or 3W even once so I'm sure those are a disaster but holy poo poo I finally feel like I can go out and play a round and not hate every second of it.
Long story short, don't try and 'fix' your own swing as a beginner.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

ChiTownEddie posted:

My final swings were going 56° -> 5i (around 2 balls each) and essentially hitting them evenly spaced between 75 and 170 carry yards. Mostly where I was aiming too. It was so loving cool. Of course, I didn't hit my driver or 3W even once so I'm sure those are a disaster but holy poo poo I finally feel like I can go out and play a round and not hate every second of it.
Long story short, don't try and 'fix' your own swing as a beginner.

I didn't play with a driver or 3w my first 18 months as a beginner. Hybrid/4i/5i off the tee is plenty if you're playing the right set of tees. Once I really got my irons and wedges figured out I went back to driver.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

i have two nice clubs that were handed down to me, a ping driver with a huge head (not as big as the ones now though lol) and an taylormade adjustable “fairway wood,” whatever that means. i can hit them both pretty good off the tee but there is no discernible difference in distance

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Played with three guys in their twenties today, long hitters. They wanted to play from the tips, and I do that a few times a year, so 7000 yards it is.

This was my third round. I made a mistake. I am too old to being doing that this early in the season. I can't play my normal conservative tee shots and I over swing too often. I need to give myself at least until May. I was so gassed by the back 9.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:
https://youtu.be/cXCU7liXB38

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Be so lovely it’s perfect.

I love the new Tiger Woods lol

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

I got stuck behind a fivesome yesterday because the starter "felt bad" for a single that was supposed to go out after the foursome so he just stuck him with them.

It ground the entire course to a crawl in two holes.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
there is danger in the sky, always best to hit 3 wood grounders as layups

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Shrapnig posted:

I got stuck behind a fivesome yesterday because the starter "felt bad" for a single that was supposed to go out after the foursome so he just stuck him with them.

imagine successfully booking a single and getting stuck with a full group of strangers anyway

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Shrapnig posted:

Two rounds in a row at one of my courses had a five ball. Both bachelor party outings. After the first, the course said they don't allow it, and someone went rogue in putting them out. Second time, the fifth joined at the turn with no clubs, promised he wasn't playing...played every hole. 2:10 front, 2:30 back.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Alright, played nine holes early this morning all alone. I was supposed to go out with another guy but he just took off and was a hole ahead of me by the time I made it to the first tee; guess it's more of a start-as-you-show-up thing.

Started off with a par and thought hey, this could be a good idea. Didn't have anything lower than a five after that. 46 on a par 29. Chipping and putting were the downfalls; after the first hole, I two and three putt just about everything, and my chipping led many shots to shoot past the green. Even one stroke better per hole on those would have gotten me to a much more respectable number.

But I had fun, and tracked as much as I could with Golfshot

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION
I don't know if I've talked about it in this thread, but my group of golf buddies has a major calendar, and we play a net game. I play off scratch or 1, and they get 10+ strokes on me.

I've won 3 of 9, and since the first one, I've never finished worse than T2.

It sure is frustrating to lose a net tournament by a stroke.

Edit: I think the best winning net score was +1. Nobody's ever shot under their handicap, and we often play quite worse. THAT is also frustrating.

The most recent Masters we played had a heartbreaking finish that I'll recount later.

Kameh fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Apr 13, 2022

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Got my new PXG driver today. Spent a grand total of 4 minutes at the driving range, but I’ll actually play with it this weekend. I got a stiff shaft at 44 inches. My wife is very happy, ba-dum-bum. Feels VERY different from my 45.5-inch Taylormade M2, regular flex. Like, VERY different. Almost swings like a hybrid or long iron. Totally coconuts.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Kameh posted:

I don't know if I've talked about it in this thread, but my group of golf buddies has a major calendar, and we play a net game. I play off scratch or 1, and they get 10+ strokes on me.

Edit: I think the best winning net score was +1. Nobody's ever shot under their handicap, and we often play quite worse. THAT is also frustrating.

The most recent Masters we played had a heartbreaking finish that I'll recount later.

My best rounds are when a good golfer is in my group. I just tend to play up to the level of those in the group. If you're that much better than the rest, it's tough to really stretch your game.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.

Kameh posted:

I always play worse when I play with my friends that are, quite frankly, really bad because if I hit a good shot off the tee I'll then have to spend 5-10 minutes riding around as they chunk shot after shot before I can actually get back to mine and hit my second. Usually at that point my thoughts are all over the place and I can't focus back on the task at hand.

When I play with friends who are at my skill level or better, I play better. It's a lot easier to hit a good second shot when your playing partner's ball is somewhere in the vicinity of yours and you can go from the tee directly to your ball. It's why we'll be getting my wife a push cart here in the next couple of weeks and my entire regular group will start walking. You can go gently caress off in the woods looking for your ball as long as I'm not tied to a cart that we're both riding in.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

I absolutely hate riding in general, I'll walk (push cart) anywhere that will let me.

Being stuck with a group of riders, or worse, riders when it's cart path only, just sucks my enjoyment out of a round.

I really like having that walk between shots to either casually shoot the poo poo or kinda gameplan myself for the next shot.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
I'm absolutely terrible at finding my ball if it's anywhere in the rough. Doubly so if I'm riding a cart and have to make anything other than a beeline directly towards where I hit it. I probably lose 2-3 strokes a round from lost ball penalties. When I play solo and walk directly in the path of my shot, I'm fine, but even a small detour to the cart path is enough to completely wipe my memory of where my ball landed

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Plank Walker posted:

even a small detour to the cart path is enough to completely wipe my memory of where my ball landed
Same but bending over to pick up my tee

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Shrapnig posted:

I absolutely hate riding in general, I'll walk (push cart) anywhere that will let me.

Being stuck with a group of riders, or worse, riders when it's cart path only, just sucks my enjoyment out of a round.

I really like having that walk between shots to either casually shoot the poo poo or kinda gameplan myself for the next shot.

I'm buying an electric push cart as soon as I move on from my current vehicle (Jeep Wrangler). I'm just not in a position to have a cart and the bag with easy access in it. I find the back nine my back hurts from pushing the cart and it makes me much less accurate, but I like the independence of walking. When the covid protocols forced single player carts, I really found that to be ideal.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
get one of these bad boys
https://www.raccooncreek.com/golf_board_rentals/

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

I played the slowest scramble ever there last summer and almost rented one of those. But, also won't fit in the Jeep.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
carts loving suck, especially in a group. boy I sure like having to make a club selection before I even get to my loving ball because the cart has to peel out to the other side of the fairway!! This also causes the other problem of people driving one or two carts literally to every ball, probably making the round take even longer than if they just walked.

I get carts for the older or mobility impaired but c'mon boys, you're out for a round of golf with the lads, put the carts away.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
:stare:

https://twitter.com/elisaperego78/status/1514282734755225600

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Hope Korda recovers, but that's a fascinating glimpse into mental illness from that "doctor".

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I follow Nelly on IG and I never connected the blood clot to her getting covid, though there may be a causal link.

In any case, I really hope she can recover in time to defend her title at the Women's PGA Championship in late June. Also because I'll be a walking scorer for the event and it would be cool to see her swing in person.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

abigserve posted:

carts loving suck, especially in a group. boy I sure like having to make a club selection before I even get to my loving ball because the cart has to peel out to the other side of the fairway!! This also causes the other problem of people driving one or two carts literally to every ball, probably making the round take even longer than if they just walked.

I get carts for the older or mobility impaired but c'mon boys, you're out for a round of golf with the lads, put the carts away.

I see someone hasn't golfed in florida, in the middle of summer, around 1pm on courses that weren't designed to be walked lol

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

mattfl posted:

I see someone hasn't golfed in florida, in the middle of summer, around 1pm on courses that weren't designed to be walked lol

Seriously. I can count on one hand the number of really walkable courses within twenty miles of me, and they were pretty much all designed and built before carts were a thing. The Saints, Martin County (especially the red/white), and Miles Grant. The rest of the courses in this area have a good two or three minute cart ride between some holes.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
I play at around 5600 feet altitude, and the elevation changes at Fossil Trace can be brutal for walkers. From the green on 11 to the tee box on 12 is very close...and straight uphill.

I play with a guy in his sixties who walks and carries, though, and he also plays the tips.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Shrapnig posted:

Hope Korda recovers, but that's a fascinating glimpse into mental illness from that "doctor".

Sadly I think the more common response has been from anti-vax truthers.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
Snicker Snack

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
How am I supposed to walk when I’m this high and drunk

Willzilla
Aug 16, 2006

Rawr
I like the look of those grips. Are they the fancy kangaroo leather type or something else?

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

i am a moron posted:

How am I supposed to walk when I’m this high and drunk

Walking negates the calories from the booze obviously. You can drink forever if you're walking the whole time.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Was able to grab tickets to the US Open in the last wave that was released this morning. Told my dad to take the day off and my Mom said he was literally running around the living room in excitement. He's almost 80 years old with a poo poo hip and sciatica.

Probably one of the last tournaments he'll be ale to go to and he was able to watch Curtis Strange win in person the last time it was in Brookline so it will be a nice bookend.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Critical posted:

Was able to grab tickets to the US Open in the last wave that was released this morning. Told my dad to take the day off and my Mom said he was literally running around the living room in excitement. He's almost 80 years old with a poo poo hip and sciatica.

Probably one of the last tournaments he'll be ale to go to and he was able to watch Curtis Strange win in person the last time it was in Brookline so it will be a nice bookend.

Nice!

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

I am itching to get back to the range and course after some time away. I finally replaced those whippy junior original run metal Spalding TopFlight fairway woods with senior shafts with proper (relatively) modern Ping fairway wood and hybrid in stiff, and was swinging them really well. Wife bought me 18 at one of my favourite semi private clubs that doubles as a nature preserve/bird sanctuary. Aaaaaaand I both have covid (day 10) and its snowing for the third day in a row. :negative:

Hilarious to see that Bubba is still playing the same old irons I have, but I have never hit anything I've liked more so why change?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Critical posted:

congrats!