Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Parity warning posted:

<3 mini cube, defo making another soon

:worship: :greencube:
:nice:
i'm building my first corsicube this weekend, planning on a similar mini-style one, going to make it a project with my kid :3:
edit gently caress a timg, worship the full img

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Trixie Hardcore posted:

YOU 👏 CAN 👏 LIE 👏

I understand that not everybody can do confrontation but if y’all can’t learn to stand up for yourself to save your own lives because you don’t want to seem pushy or rude you need to learn to lie.

“I’m so excited to be part of the team but I’ll have to skip restaurants, my husband Thoguh is immunocompromised, so I’m always careful to not risk getting anything that’s going around I could bring home.”

“Hey guys, help me out and put these masks on, doc says I can’t risk catching anything post surgery.”

People are being told that it’s insane to wear a mask unless they or someone they know is immunocompromised because we’ve decided that only the most fragile among us should avoid covid. They’re not thinking about you, they’re thinking about their own egos, sidestep their egos by LYING TO THEM. Don’t make it about making them feel judged for being reckless, make it about how you or a loved one needs extra consideration because you/they are in that small unlucky group of people who needs to mask.

Just loving lie to people, it’s really easy. None of these people are going to pay your bills or help you to your shower chair or hold your hand while the doctor takes you off the vent after they give you covid. They are thinking about themselves and how they don’t want anyone else thinking of them as being weak or scared of covid. They are primed to be hostile to healthy people who don’t want covid because acknowledging a healthy person has a reason to avoid covid would make them evaluate their own choices, but they’ve also heard that an unlucky few are allowed to be scared and unless someone is a blood psychopath they are going to put on a mask or let you opt out of that superspreader event so you or your loved one doesn’t die. If you’re worried about questions and you don’t think you can say “That’s the sort of thing I only talk about with my doctors” just research a condition and pretend you or your loved one has it. There is no reason to not lie to people if you can’t assert yourself, there is no reason to get covid from reckless people. My husband is completely non-confrontational so he tells people I’m immunocompromised and no one gives him poo poo about not wanting to catch a virus that would kill his wife. It is totally cool and fine to lie to people about this just for fun if you want but especially if it will help keep you and yours safe.

:same: but also I get some people cannot do confrontation so thankfully there’s lying.
lol this post needs to be in the OP

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

this isn't exactly bane mask respirator territory but i always found i had an easier time taking naps wearing scba stuff if im face down so maybe try that if you have to sleep in your mask

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Tzen posted:

:nice:
i'm building my first corsicube this weekend, planning on a similar mini-style one, going to make it a project with my kid :3:
edit gently caress a timg, worship the full img

what are those filters usually used for in layman's terms? I tried finding them on Amazon Germany and other places but any "hepa filter" search results I got are ridiculously expensive which would run a single cube well over 150€.

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

Only 446 cases in Oregon today!

Only 354 yesterday¡

I wonder what the real numbers are like

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

Hopper posted:

what are those filters usually used for in layman's terms? I tried finding them on Amazon Germany and other places but any "hepa filter" search results I got are ridiculously expensive which would run a single cube well over 150€.

HVAC (heating/ventilation/air conditioning). Try a hardware or home improvement store, you can usually find them in various sizes and sometimes in multipacks.

Yeah, anything HEPA or filtration-related is probably still going to be gouged like gently caress on a place like Amazon where sellers set the prices.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
here's a very serious doctor who says yes covid is loving us all and yes the approach of the entire world is wrong, but it all rests on six simultaneous beliefs that were all, in aggregate, entirely reasonable 2 years ago

https://twitter.com/drgregkelly/status/1511146486293463043?t=GB6xTALWo1_0xNKUoZa77g&s=19

the beliefs:

1. "It's mostly mild"

2. Immunity is perfectly effective against severe illness & persists (one and done)

3. #LongCovid isn't real

4. Kids are not affected

5. I / we / my country are separate -- "the vulnerable"are the others

6. NPIs (non pharmaceutical interventions) don't work

imagine believing any 6 of these statements, not believing any of them today, and having the temerity to say "actually all that was reasonable at the time and I'm not just a huge loving idiot"

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Hopper posted:

Look for EU7 or higher air filters, that's the equivalent of MERV 13 filters in the US.
https://www.venfilter.com/normativa/comparative-guide-norms-classification-air-filters

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

fosborb posted:

here's a very serious doctor who says yes covid is loving us all and yes the approach of the entire world is wrong, but it all rests on six simultaneous beliefs that were all, in aggregate, entirely reasonable 2 years ago

the beliefs:

1. "It's mostly mild"

2. Immunity is perfectly effective against severe illness & persists (one and done)

3. #LongCovid isn't real

4. Kids are not affected

imagine believing any 6 of these statements, not believing any of them today, and having the temerity to say "actually all that was reasonable at the time and I'm not just a huge loving idiot"

There are three levels of stupid here, and this is all the way at the bottom.

The first level not knowing what legitimate subject matter experts to. Like, not listening to ærosol experts about bioærosols or not listening to T‐cell immunologists about T‐cells. And no, you can’t sub an MD for either of these.

Then there’s not even knowing what a bunch of shitposters on a dead, gay comedy forum know. This is pretty damning, but it gets far worse.

These beliefs weren’t just know to be false by subject matter experts or shitposters. Excepting number two, it was the public consensus that each of these was false. If you believed any of the other five, you were literally dumber than the average American.

Like, you can make an argument that oh well people acted like some of them were true, they’re the protagonist of reality, nasty diseases don’t strike close to them, but few were arguing that NPIs straight‐up didn’t work in 2020. It was far more common for people say that NPIs were not worth the cost.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

fosborb posted:

the beliefs:

1. "It's mostly mild"

3. #LongCovid isn't real

4. Kids are not affected

1. my intro to covid was seeing a person drop dead in a store in China, if anything I worried that it could one shot you

2. I assumed if I could get a cold again I could get covid again

3. I never assumed people were lying about long haul symptoms

4. kids also breathe air so I assumed they could get an airborne virus

5. :how: this is very racist and dumb

6. this is just dumb, PPE existed before the pandemic for a reason

How is me a dumb person know how to no get covid but fancy doctor not know??

stump collector
May 28, 2007

Trixie Hardcore posted:

YOU 👏 CAN 👏 LIE 👏

I understand that not everybody can do confrontation but if y’all can’t learn to stand up for yourself to save your own lives because you don’t want to seem pushy or rude you need to learn to lie.

“I’m so excited to be part of the team but I’ll have to skip restaurants, my husband Thoguh is immunocompromised, so I’m always careful to not risk getting anything that’s going around I could bring home.”

“Hey guys, help me out and put these masks on, doc says I can’t risk catching anything post surgery.”

People are being told that it’s insane to wear a mask unless they or someone they know is immunocompromised because we’ve decided that only the most fragile among us should avoid covid. They’re not thinking about you, they’re thinking about their own egos, sidestep their egos by LYING TO THEM. Don’t make it about making them feel judged for being reckless, make it about how you or a loved one needs extra consideration because you/they are in that small unlucky group of people who needs to mask.

Just loving lie to people, it’s really easy. None of these people are going to pay your bills or help you to your shower chair or hold your hand while the doctor takes you off the vent after they give you covid. They are thinking about themselves and how they don’t want anyone else thinking of them as being weak or scared of covid. They are primed to be hostile to healthy people who don’t want covid because acknowledging a healthy person has a reason to avoid covid would make them evaluate their own choices, but they’ve also heard that an unlucky few are allowed to be scared and unless someone is a blood psychopath they are going to put on a mask or let you opt out of that superspreader event so you or your loved one doesn’t die. If you’re worried about questions and you don’t think you can say “That’s the sort of thing I only talk about with my doctors” just research a condition and pretend you or your loved one has it. There is no reason to not lie to people if you can’t assert yourself, there is no reason to get covid from reckless people. My husband is completely non-confrontational so he tells people I’m immunocompromised and no one gives him poo poo about not wanting to catch a virus that would kill his wife. It is totally cool and fine to lie to people about this just for fun if you want but especially if it will help keep you and yours safe.

:same: but also I get some people cannot do confrontation so thankfully there’s lying.
qtiyd

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

wrap it up cavers

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
1, 2, 4, and 5 are all based on assuming the most optimistic possible outcome for the disease before any data was available, which is inexcusably irresponsible public policy. Even if 5 were true it's still a downright evil policy to leave the vulnerable to fend for themselves.

3 was clearly false despite not understanding the mechanism, since even from the beginning survivors showed signs of organ damage throughout their entire bodies, supporting the idea that they could have "long haul" symptoms.

6 is idiotic on its face.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
Imagine watching the news in 2020 when they were frequently using b-roll of hosed up lung x-rays and body haulers in full PPE suits and thinking "This seems mild and couldn't cause any long term effects. NPIs seem like a fringe concept. I am a doctor"

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

1 million dead? yeah ok bro

stump collector
May 28, 2007

Trixie Hardcore posted:

Imagine watching the news in 2020 when they were frequently using b-roll of hosed up lung x-rays and body haulers in full PPE suits and thinking "This seems mild and couldn't cause any long term effects. NPIs seem like a fringe concept. I am a doctor"

they didnt smoke enough lucky strikes

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

Google Butt posted:

quote:

14.2 to 24.1 million dead (95%CI)

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

one of the few wholesome things from two years ago

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

fosborb posted:

https://twitter.com/drgregkelly/status/1511146486293463043?t=GB6xTALWo1_0xNKUoZa77g&s=19

the beliefs:

1. "It's mostly mild"

3. #LongCovid isn't real

4. Kids are not affected

Why should I listen to this guy instead of the nice blue check MDs I see on TV?

Steve Yun posted:

one of the few wholesome things from two years ago
My cat definitely inserted some weird typos into my code that took a hot minute to realize were there (lol Python) and very nearly sent my coworkers a barrage of nonsense Slacks when she fell asleep on my laptop keyboard

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

lol this photo went a long way in getting my friends to take COVID seriously in June 2020. what an MVP

We don’t get a long of lung stories anymore and it seems mostly nerve damage now and nerve damage is not very photogenic

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

jfc

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

These articles are propaganda meant to normalize ignoring a mass death event and everyone involved in the creation of things like this should be run over very slowly by a morgue truck full of overflow bodies.
:emptyquote: lol

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

quote:

Fellas, do the bars at the zoo work?

Maybe we should try taking them out from the tiger enclosure and see what happens.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Zugzwang posted:

Latest public Death Panel is with one of the co-authors of the "the Swedish authorities were basically euthanizing olds and lying about it" Nature paper: https://soundcloud.com/deathpanel/what-happened-in-sweden-w-david-steadson-040722

Angryhead posted:

Good recommendation, just listened to it.

Zugzwang posted:

Yeah, I just did too.

It was indeed good, but it was also strangely distressing to hear the guest (a scientist who’s good enough at his job to get published in Nature) say basically what this thread has been saying for a while:
- The “plan” is for everyone to get covid a few times a year
- Long covid with *at least* a few months of symptoms is in the tens of percents of likelihood per infection
- If you get covid and don’t get PCR confirmation, it may cause problems if you ever need to file for long covid disability
- Speaking of which, it is getting very hard or even impossible to get PCR tests in some places unless you are hospitalized or in certain professions
- Many HCWs don’t know anything about long covid and are unsympathetic, but this has been changing as they, themselves, are getting it
- But again, gaslighting by doctors etc is really common
- He reiterated that it is extremely dumb even from a purely amoral, capitalist perspective to be Open Bidening like we are, because really sick people can’t work and people who can’t work don’t have money to spend
- There’s going to be a lot of viral leopards eating people’s faces
- OPEN. BIDEN.

edit: oh yeah, turns out polio’s aftereffects took years to show up. coooooooooooolllllll
yeah good summary zugzwang
i listened to it while at work surrounded by maskless ghouls lmao
another solid death panel episode

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Platystemon posted:

Maybe we should try taking them out from the tiger enclosure and see what happens.
People who get eaten by zoo tigers always have comorbidities, e.g., being too slow to outrun tigers. The rest of us have nothing to worry about.

Tzen posted:

yeah good summary zugzwang
i listened to it while at work surrounded by maskless ghouls lmao
another solid death panel episode
I left out that the dude himself has long covid and was being gaslit by doctors despite his oxygen sat going into the mid-80s, and also his son missed like a year of school due to long covid. World is a gently caress.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Platystemon posted:

It reminds of one of our local medical "experts" saying that covid wasn't proven to be airborne because there weren't any controlled experiments done with masked versus unmasked people to prove airborne transmission

Never mind the ethics, I guess!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
two years ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wG_5lBw644A

Dominic Cummings, architect of Boris Johnson’s COVID policy running away after finding out Boris tested positive while he was meeting Boris

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Everyone who can take a tiger in a cage fight will be fine. The escaped tiger is over for them.

The vulnerable can consider armor—maille, not plate; we wouldn’t want to be too extreme here.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Bullfrog posted:

got hit from his kid apparently, many such cases
just lol that will be how i get got at some point
kids in school/daycare full time, family still covid free, loving kf94s putting in shifts

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Joementum posted:

here's a link to a place that tracks what pharmacies have anti-COVID medications in stock. https://covid-19-therapeutics-locator-dhhs.hub.arcgis.com/

any doctor can prescribe it. if you get pushback, tell them you have one of the CDC's "certain medical conditions" that put you at higher risk of complications from COVID (not judging but you almost certainly have one of these)

you might not even need a doctor: here's the HHS Test to Treat page https://aspr.hhs.gov/TestToTreat/Pages/default.aspx

they have a locator that may have a pharmacy near you that may prescribe after a positive test. there's also a phone line you can call 1-800-232-0233

zetamind2000 posted:

This should also be in the op

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Google Butt posted:

lol nytimes has it at 982,972

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

playtime is over

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
There is no justice in this world.
I fully expect Pelosi to make a full recovery, and Feigl-Ding will be denied even the distinction of dying a martyr but will instead get crippled by long COVID and envy the dead.

yoloer420
May 19, 2006
Do you guys think increased risk of other conditions due to having had covid will stack?

Eg, infected once = 60% more likely to have cardiovascular issues

Infected twice = 120% more likely to have cardiovascular issues

If so, do you think the third infection will be 240% or 180% ???

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Hey the good news is that if you want a PCR test now you can get same day results

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

yoloer420 posted:

Do you guys think increased risk of other conditions due to having had covid will stack?

Eg, infected once = 60% more likely to have cardiovascular issues

Infected twice = 120% more likely to have cardiovascular issues

If so, do you think the third infection will be 240% or 180% ???

yea the debuff stacks

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

the debuffs stack and roll over into your next new game plus, glhf

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

just keep stacking it until it loops back around and you achieve immortality

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

i am harry posted:

good thing the computer chair effortlessly swivels so i can turn my back on this man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sep 2, 2011

Google Butt posted:

wrap it up cavers

i'm seeing more and more mental health concern trolling about people who resist mass infection. that poo poo is going to make me livid. i have long had PTSD, anxiety, and OCD and have endured abuse for most of my life on almost every level a person could imagine. the only time i felt relatively okay during this poo poo was during the fake lockdown period. ever since has been being actively retraumatized, gaslighted, and abandoned by people around me because i refuse to sacrifice my life, health, and able-bodiedness for loving applebees. i'm not loving about to let people pathologize preserving my own life and limb.

it *is* traumatic, it *should be* traumatic, there is nothing whatsoever wrong about not wanting to cosplay 2019 in a loving socially engineered, forced mass death and disabling event. people shouldn't feel bad for just saying "gently caress off" or equivalent to people, when possible.

you don't owe people poo poo, everyone doing everything possible and taking every measure to avoid this poo poo and never get it is 100% correct.

loading... has issued a correction as of 11:34 on Apr 8, 2022