Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Hedrigall posted:

It immediately made me wish I was watching Futurama instead so I started a rewatch of that on Disney plus, gonna binge it all

And that is the most damning thing about Disenchantment. I've seen my friends venting frustrations that any potential interesting plotlines get squashed fairly quickly, eventually it ends up boiling down to "I'd rather use my time to rewatch Futurama".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Robindaybird posted:

And that is the most damning thing about Disenchantment. I've seen my friends venting frustrations that any potential interesting plotlines get squashed fairly quickly, eventually it ends up boiling down to "I'd rather use my time to rewatch Futurama".

Nothing more frustrating than a show that keeps threatening to be interesting and going 'Psych!'.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Robindaybird posted:

I dropped off of it awhile ago but yeah my core beef with it is that the show feels like it's in a very awkward middle ground between caring about the plot and not caring about the plot in a way that is unsatisfying.

There's some good moments to be sure and the voice cast is fantastic but it gets to be a pretty frustrating watch since there's enough time spent on the overarching plots that you can't ignore that aspect of the show.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA
I thought I had no idea what y'all were talking about with Disenchantment but then I realized I've tried to watch it like 3 times and never made it more than about 1.5 episodes in

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Srice posted:

I dropped off of it awhile ago but yeah my core beef with it is that the show feels like it's in a very awkward middle ground between caring about the plot and not caring about the plot in a way that is unsatisfying.

There's some good moments to be sure and the voice cast is fantastic but it gets to be a pretty frustrating watch since there's enough time spent on the overarching plots that you can't ignore that aspect of the show.

It feels like what it is: a show run by men that have seen what younger talents have been doing with shows like Gravity Falls, but are unwilling or unable to fully break away from the old formulas and jokes that brought their initial success.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Acebuckeye13 posted:

It feels like what it is: a show run by men that have seen what younger talents have been doing with shows like Gravity Falls, but are unwilling or unable to fully break away from the old formulas and jokes that brought their initial success.

They've spent too long in their comfort zones and just don't know how to break out.

I mean gently caress, being involved with post-2000 Simpsons probably does horrible things to you.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Darth TNT posted:

I'm just curious if any bothered to check out Disenchantment season 4, which apparently secretly dropped at some point.
When I saw it I briefly tried to remember what had happened and then decided to ignore it. It's all just so...forgettable.

Total waste of a show. I wonder how it does for Netflix and if they're tied into finishing whatever story it has because they want to keep a relationship with Groening.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Acebuckeye13 posted:

But they're also unwilling to stick to the old formulas too, so the show doesn't work as an episodic comedy either in addition to not working as an adventure show with a connective plot.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Is Sonic talk okay in here? Saw Sonic 2 last night and feel it did a great job expanding on the first film. There are some parts that drag the momentum a bit, but overall better than the first by miles (pun intended). Lots of easter eggs to hunt down.

oh Carrey knocks it out of the park again, and Idris Elba is fantastic as Knuckles.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Srice posted:

I remember watching the last episode of season one and thinking, "oh, the show is finally going to knuckle down."

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

I completely forgot about the "Samurai dogs and cats meets Blazing Saddles" movie that I heard about in this thread. Then I saw the fart scene in the trailer before Sonic.

It is a pale imitation of the fart scene.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

hiddenriverninja posted:

Is Sonic talk okay in here? Saw Sonic 2 last night and feel it did a great job expanding on the first film. There are some parts that drag the momentum a bit, but overall better than the first by miles (pun intended). Lots of easter eggs to hunt down.

oh Carrey knocks it out of the park again, and Idris Elba is fantastic as Knuckles.

Sonic whips rear end, and I made a much longer effort post in the Sonic thread, but I'll post the Knuckles part:

quote:

Finally I have to talk about Knuckles. I really can't stress this enough: He is absolutely PERFECT in this movie. Like don't get me wrong, they nail Tails as well, there are no issues with him. But they really go the extra mile with Knuckles. Idris Elba does such a good job voicing him. I love that they actually make him incredibly strong and powerful and he feels like a genuine threat to Sonic and also he is loving dumb as hell. Just incredible. They do such a good job with Knuckles.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Just realized I probably posted this in the wrong animation thread, so:

Data Graham posted:

So Human Resources (the monster-focused spinoff of Big Mouth) isn't really anything to write home about I guess, but it does have the Need Demon:

Which is animated like a deliberate riff on the afterlife counselor characters in Soul. And really a lot more interesting and fun to watch than the whole rest of the show.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Big Mouth has plenty of detractors but I love it. I can never seem to convince anyone how insanely funny and creative the show is, everyone's always hung up on "but they look ugly" and won't give the show a chance

But I have not been feeling Human Resources at all. I think it's because it feels like the exact opposite of Big Mouth:

- Big Mouth takes something mundane (teens going through puberty) and adds ridiculous fantasy monsters to it. It's so weird and fresh and funny.

- Human Resources takes ridiculous fantasy monsters and makes them mundane by putting them in a workplace sitcom. It feels like any number of cookie cutter adult cartoons, for example Ugly Americans

Maury and Connie feel like special guest stars awkwardly shoehorned in from a better show to help get a spin-off off the ground.

Two episodes in. Should I keep going?

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Apr 9, 2022

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Hedrigall posted:

Big Mouth has plenty of detractors but I love it. I can never seem to convince anyone how insanely funny and creative the show is, everyone's always hung up on "but they look ugly" and won't give the show a chance

I read somewhere - and it might've been here - that the character designs needed to be horrid because we see these literal children's junk, so anything that even almost resembled something that might be visually appealing got jettisoned to keep things from getting too creepy. I'm not sure if its true but it's a pretty funny explanation.

(I know you don't have the complaint, your comment just made me think of it)

Boxman fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Apr 9, 2022

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

The Big Mouth character design is just so disgusting to look at I'll never give the show a chance. It could actually be great and the funniest show in world, I cannot look at with my eyeballs without being repulsed.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

I just didn't find it funny, at all. And you don't need to make the artstyle awful to make it "unsexy", Bob's Burgers does the same horny teen thing with Tina but with better art and actually funny jokes.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Boxman posted:

I read somewhere - and it might've been here - that the character designs needed to be horrid because we see these literal children's junk, so anything that even almost resembled something that might be visually appealing got jettisoned to keep things from getting too creepy. I'm not sure if its true but it's a pretty funny explanation.

(I know you don't have the complaint, your comment just made me think of it)

That's a thing that comes up a lot, though I suspect the ugliness is also just kinda part of the style.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

They should've gone with a style that's not ugly IMO

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Hedrigall posted:

But I have not been feeling Human Resources at all. I think it's because it feels like the exact opposite of Big Mouth:

- Big Mouth takes something mundane (teens going through puberty) and adds ridiculous fantasy monsters to it. It's so weird and fresh and funny.

- Human Resources takes ridiculous fantasy monsters and makes them mundane by putting them in a workplace sitcom. It feels like any number of cookie cutter adult cartoons, for example Ugly Americans

Maury and Connie feel like special guest stars awkwardly shoehorned in from a better show to help get a spin-off off the ground.

Two episodes in. Should I keep going?

It does get funnier in the second half of the season but it's still only alright

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Macaluso posted:

They should've gone with a style that's not ugly IMO

Turn on your monitor

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That's a thing that comes up a lot, though I suspect the ugliness is also just kinda part of the style.
I mean, Nick Kroll doesn't look that far removed from his fictional doodle counterpart.

Plus it's like 80s middle school. None of that "foundation + blush + clothing budget" or "4 hours of lifting and manscaping" middle schools these gen Zeeners have no.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’ve seen a few episodes randomly and I couldn’t stand the style either. But I have to ask…why do we have to see the kids junk? If the trade off is bad style- kid genitals vs good style - no genitals….

:shrug:

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

I think the big issue with humans resources compared to big mouth is that coach Steve, Lola, and Andrew are by far the funniest characters in big mouth and human resources doesn't have anything that comes close.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Pinecone & Pony is up on Apple TV and, I will say, is definitely, and definitively, another Dreamworks animated TV sitcom

e: it’s based on a Kate Beacon book so the characters are generally drawn in her style including the starring (Fat) Pony, the first season is 8 episodes of 2 11-minute stories each (so 16 episodes basically). the design generally matches the book, even for extras, so it all fits in the world. It seems like it's mostly aimed at younger audiences so I'm cool with it, it's not trying to be a prestige show, so don't expect major drama or characters being stabbed. it is more low-stakes. While She-Ra and Kipo came out of Dreamworks, most of their fare is along the lines of this show, not meant to build rabid fandoms. Just harmless fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIinnh1TYio

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Apr 9, 2022

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

CelticPredator posted:

I’ve seen a few episodes randomly and I couldn’t stand the style either. But I have to ask…why do we have to see the kids junk? If the trade off is bad style- kid genitals vs good style - no genitals….

:shrug:
Junk is a formative part of your middle school experience!

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Papercut posted:

I think the big issue with humans resources compared to big mouth is that coach Steve, Lola, and Andrew are by far the funniest characters in big mouth and human resources doesn't have anything that comes close.
Yeah, the funniest moments in Big Mouth are well observed poo poo like a kid getting Diet M&Ms for Hanukkah. I was really excited for Human Resources because I thought it was going to be an anthology show where they applied the personality sprites idea to things like being a new mom which obviously the show kinda does, but I wish the focus was more on the humans than the monsters.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I watched the first season of Big Mouth when it came out and I thought it was pretty funny. I just didn’t feel an impetus to watch the next season though.

Fartington Butts posted:

I completely forgot about the "Samurai dogs and cats meets Blazing Saddles" movie that I heard about in this thread. Then I saw the fart scene in the trailer before Sonic.

It is a pale imitation of the fart scene.

Man this movie has a history. Back in 2015 a studio in Toronto called Arc got it as their first big feature since Gnomeo and Juliette. At the same time they had half a dozen other shows ongoing and colossally mismanaged everything and the studio collapsed, leaving many artists unpaid. The film languished for years in redevelopment and finally got completed by Cinesite in Montreal.

History repeats itself as upstart feature studio in Toronto called Tangent was working on Monkey King for Netflix this year, something went wrong, they collapsed, it was reassigned to Reel FX in Montreal.

A sad story of home grown Canadian studios not knowing how to manage projects and instead having them completed by British or American studios that set up outposts in Canada for the tax credits.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

FilthyImp posted:

Junk is a formative part of your middle school experience!

I'll also vouch for Big Mouth in that regard because it's honestly a pretty frank and healthy discussion of puberty and relationships. It goes through all the weird, ugly, embarrassing stuff with an optimistic hand and it comes across as very reassuring that all your goofy awkwardness is part of the shared human experience.

And I really like Connie and love watching her both guide and freak out with children.

Megera
Sep 9, 2008
^^^ Connie is a gem

Ccs posted:

I watched the first season of Big Mouth when it came out and I thought it was pretty funny. I just didn’t feel an impetus to watch the next season though.

We watched season one, and fell off at the beginning of season two. Then a friend said season 3 wasn't that great, but you can start season 4 with the recap and be good. So we did that and thoroughly enjoyed seasons 4 and 5!

I feel bad that I have a friend directing on Human Resources, and I just have no desire to watch it based on the trailers.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

gently caress yeah Connie.

The animation when she says a sentence full of B-alliteration

BUH-BUH-BUH-BUH

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

I enjoy Big Mouth but several of my middle school students have told me they watch it (unprompted; I’m not in the habit of telling them what hosed up TV I watch lol) and that freaks me the gently caress out. I wonder how many of their parents just went “oh it’s a show about puberty, it’s totally for 12 year olds” and haven’t given it a second thought

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
It's a better sex ed than many kids get Stateside! :suicide:

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I still contend that Connie is the funniest animated character on tv in the last decade or more

Maybe just the funniest character full stop

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

I kind of wish Connie were even more central to Human Resources, I love her a lot.

Das Boo posted:

It's a better sex ed than many kids get Stateside! :suicide:

Right?! God. Honestly a good chunk of Big Mouth is raunchy as hell but probably on the whole a little comforting to watch for a kid going through puberty, but Coach Steve and Jay’s plots both woulda hosed me up real good as a kid. I’m sure there’s more I’ve just forgotten about. Some 13 year old somewhere is going “man I thought I was bad but at least I’m not Andrew” lol

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I love Andrew’s evolution into an absolute villain amongst the kids, it’s hilarious

And Jay’s from a complete joke into having his own arcs and being some actually good bisexual representation on tv

Coach Steve is funny only in very small doses so I’m glad he’s moved into the background more lately

Lola is up there with Connie among the best animated characters of this century imo

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I do respect the hell out of Jenny Slate for apparently deciding on her own to step away from playing a non-white character to make room for a non-white actor to play her. An extremely valid decision.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
There was a bit in season 2 or 3 where they're discussing a "word pass" and Missy is like "no. *I* can not say that word. For various reasons".

That she got recast and sounds pretty much the same is awesome. They're also doing some good stuff with her re-biculturalism .

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

The 7th Guest posted:

Pinecone & Pony is up on Apple TV and, I will say, is definitely, and definitively, another Dreamworks animated TV sitcom

e: it’s based on a Kate Beacon book so the characters are generally drawn in her style including the starring (Fat) Pony, the first season is 8 episodes of 2 11-minute stories each (so 16 episodes basically). the design generally matches the book, even for extras, so it all fits in the world. It seems like it's mostly aimed at younger audiences so I'm cool with it, it's not trying to be a prestige show, so don't expect major drama or characters being stabbed. it is more low-stakes. While She-Ra and Kipo came out of Dreamworks, most of their fare is along the lines of this show, not meant to build rabid fandoms. Just harmless fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIinnh1TYio

I had no idea this was coming out and my kids are apeshit for this book. I'm personally a huge fan of Kate Beaton too, so whatever this ends up being, I'm on board.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Her comics featuring her dad are straight up gold. Just the eyebrows on the glasses convey so much.

My kids watched an ep of the pony show and they liked it!