Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

Fishstick posted:

Darktide release date was announced, September. This is Fatshark, so take it with a big grain of salt

Hadn’t heard of this but I watched the gameplay trailer from late 2020, looks awesome. Have they said if it will have the same character/class system as V2? I started playing it recently and love the customization. I even got minorly fiscally irresponsible and paid $5 for the zealot pig hat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

I've heard conflicting reports about character/role mix and match in darktide. It feels like it would make no sense if characters didn't determine role to some extent. It feels like the big guy and the priest should play different but we'll see.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
I wasnt really sold on the Sister changes but the ranged thicket thing is growing on me, especially in Chaos Wastes. It does no damage and applies no venom, but its still a great utility ult.

You can part the red sea of thicc goats to get to a flag bearer easily, use it to force push crowds of enemies off of cliffs and into pits, clear a downed ally from trash so they don't get instadowned after rez, or just give yourself some breathing room from a surprise pack of plaguemonks.
https://i.imgur.com/5RSDkSz.mp4

Block LOS to flamerats/gatling rats so they stop and go for a walk, straight up punt packmasters away, and knock zerkers, plaguemonks, and maulers on their rear end
https://i.imgur.com/1A7HN7T.mp4
https://i.imgur.com/BxQAlmd.mp4

It doesnt move Champions but it'll still stagger them, and at least move all of the annoying chaff out of the way so you can deal with either easily.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Were you host for those? When i wasn't host enemies would walk right through it so beyond the initial explosion nothing would happen but that was months ago.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Nope, not host. They do a proper job of blocking off routes now. I mostly use it for the punt, or to group poo poo together for a bomb/torpedo/sienna nuke, but the wall itself works great in doorways to give yourself a breather.

Edit: also not as host, you can see them pathing around it properly here
https://i.imgur.com/IElnEVd.mp4

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
I thought it strange and unfortunate that Darktide had only 4 characters. It's a strength of Vermintide that 5 characters means you never get absolutely forced to play a particular someone. Then GW revealed that squats are coming back...do you think Space Bardin will be in Darktide, and they just never told us because they couldn't spoil the surprise?

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
no i think they recognized they can save labor and hassle by removing one character

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

SuperKlaus posted:

I thought it strange and unfortunate that Darktide had only 4 characters. It's a strength of Vermintide that 5 characters means you never get absolutely forced to play a particular someone. Then GW revealed that squats are coming back...do you think Space Bardin will be in Darktide, and they just never told us because they couldn't spoil the surprise?

having 5 characters in a 4 player game sounds like a nonsensical idea on paper but in practice it worked very well.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

having 5 characters in a 4 player game sounds like a nonsensical idea on paper but in practice it worked very well.

I like it, it adds some slight variety to groups. There's no reason fatshark won't drop a 5th character on us before release, hype and prerelease communication is not exactly their thing. They've already said they won't do subcareers anymore like in V2 though.

Fishstick fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Apr 6, 2022

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Fishstick posted:

I like it, it adds some slight variety to groups. There's no reason fatshark won't drop a 5th character on us before release, hype and prerelease communication is not exactly their thing. They've already said they won't do subcareers anymore like in V2 though.

Wait no subcareers? When did they confirm that?

That's a huge anti-hype drop if so :psyduck:

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

SuperKlaus posted:

Brother-Sergeant Cruberius: "Bardin, is Colonel Okri real?"

Enjoy fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Apr 6, 2022

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona

Captain Oblivious posted:

Wait no subcareers? When did they confirm that?

That's a huge anti-hype drop if so :psyduck:

Yeah, this would suck, I'm sad to hear it. I'm already worried that the new characters won't have the same charm as the Ubersreik 45, and making them either static or interchangeable isn't a great sign. It doesn't help that I think V1+2 has, unironically, some of the best passive character writing in the medium (the characterization and character growth from random lines that get thrown out mid-mission is a loving feat).

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
i figured the 5th class would be a psyker

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
A 4 player game with only 4 classes that have no variation within them that you can't double up on is a hard no for me, I can't imagine they'd actually ship a game that way and expect it to do well

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

I always thought the variation was gonna come from the fact that weapons were gonna be so different and everyone can swap between em. I figured you'd be 4 basically storm troopers who can choose gear that would be as game changing as the sub careers.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.
Please don’t “streamline” all of the cool stuff out, Fatshark…

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Seriously though is there any citation for no subclasses

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Captain Oblivious posted:

Seriously though is there any citation for no subclasses

Its in one of the darktide interviews

Arghy posted:

I always thought the variation was gonna come from the fact that weapons were gonna be so different and everyone can swap between em. I figured you'd be 4 basically storm troopers who can choose gear that would be as game changing as the sub careers.

This seems the way they're going, most likely your abilities/gameplay style will be through stuff you equip (for that character) rather than set subcareers (closer to V1). So there's still changeup within how you'd play, Ogryn, f.e

It does supposedly come with a bigger roster of actual characters:

quote:

[Official] Fatshark hasn't confirmed the number of playable characters but ...
[Confirmed]Dan Abnett said we can expect a larger roaster of characters. We are part of a large warband (NPC included) with the playable characters being prisoners recruited by the Inquisition on the spot to solve the ongoing issue.
from https://steamcommunity.com/app/1361210/discussions/0/3109140779883618044/

If no subcareers means they can update the game more than once every 6 months I'm down for it. The glacial update pace is still something baffling to me for a team of their size.

Fishstick fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Apr 7, 2022

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

im convinced fatshark exists as like some kind of tax loophole for its parent company that also occasionally produces video games.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

I really want Darktide to be good but I'm also still having flashbacks of the V2 launch and the months where hero power didnt work properly at all

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

Sab Sabbington posted:

It doesn't help that I think V1+2 has, unironically, some of the best passive character writing in the medium (the characterization and character growth from random lines that get thrown out mid-mission is a loving feat).

I completely agree. victor's quiet "I am deaf to your accusations" from the enchanter's lair had more weight than any game I've played in years. maybe I'm just a grumpy old person but game stories tend to make me angry because 95% of them are poorly written or executed. I think the GTA "ride and talk" type mission set gaming back 20 years, because it's mediocre when rockstar does it and really really lovely when someone like ubisoft tries. more dialogue doesn't automatically make the game better.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
Depressing to realize there won’t be a kerillian in dark tide.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I think there'd be even less tolerance for an Eldar ranger than there would be for an elf waywatcher

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
I just want to play as a Kroot. They'd be a goddamn mensch.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Fishstick posted:

I really want Darktide to be good but I'm also still having flashbacks of the V2 launch and the months where hero power didnt work properly at all

launch was a buggy, broken mess that arbitrarily tried to fix everything that wasn't broken with the design of the original and resulted in a much worse product. I actually had the best experience with it when some of the bugs were fixed but power scaling was still broken because it made for better pacing.

I used to have complete faith in fatshark to improve issues over time and make good decisions in the end after their track record doing so with vt1 and they managed to erode all of that faith away, so I have no hype for darktide and would advise anyone who does to remember the technical state of vt2's launch (which evidently still isn't good given that this happened on my recent brief revisit). that said, there is currently no sign of an elf in darktide, so maybe it will actually be good?

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Kokoro Wish posted:

I just want to play as a Kroot. They'd be a goddamn mensch.

My only regret is that when I was playing 40k was never making an all kroot army.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
i have seen more slurs in the last 2 weeks of legend games than i saw in the last 4 years

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

It's mindboggling that they broke stagger in the last update, then fixed it, then broke it again, and it's still broken this many weeks after. How does this keep happening, why does this janky rear end game have to be so fun and how does a team of 100+ people get so little done

For detail: if you knock something down (eg: knock down a champion with footknight ult) and someone then staggers the CW it'll immediately stand up and punch you in the face, as the light stagger overwrites the heavy stagger/knockdown.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Game is full of critical bugs which cause a crash. I honestly have no faith in this company to make a good product. Fun, sure. But not well made.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Apparently vermintide saves all it's character data in %appdata% so after installing windows on a new hard drive and being unable to access the old C drive for some reason so everything is stuck at lvl 1 and the tutorial right now.

Is there a place online to get someone's save data to stick in %appdata% with most stuff unlocked or some alternative to getting the old data back?

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Apparently vermintide saves all it's character data in %appdata% so after installing windows on a new hard drive and being unable to access the old C drive for some reason so everything is stuck at lvl 1 and the tutorial right now.

Is there a place online to get someone's save data to stick in %appdata% with most stuff unlocked or some alternative to getting the old data back?

Did you have cloud save disabled? On a reinstall you'll still get stuck with the tutorial and default settings but your characters and such should be there once you're done with it if you had/have steam cloud sync enabled.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

Fishstick posted:

It's mindboggling that they broke stagger in the last update, then fixed it, then broke it again, and it's still broken this many weeks after. How does this keep happening, why does this janky rear end game have to be so fun and how does a team of 100+ people get so little done

For detail: if you knock something down (eg: knock down a champion with footknight ult) and someone then staggers the CW it'll immediately stand up and punch you in the face, as the light stagger overwrites the heavy stagger/knockdown.

it sucks so bad, I can't see a reason to play foot knight over grail knight right now

e: they did the exact same thing with the ammo counter when using a melee weapon, but that's a small QoL issue in comparison

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Fishstick posted:

Did you have cloud save disabled? On a reinstall you'll still get stuck with the tutorial and default settings but your characters and such should be there once you're done with it if you had/have steam cloud sync enabled.

Thanks, gave it another load-in and it skipped right past the tutorial and got everything back, once I saw level 1 and the tutorial pop up I noped out of there so fast thinking about the lvl 1-35 grind on every character.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Sept 13th for Dark Tide

Super excited

Here's the trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNlkLDpODBA

Looks like we're going against Nurgle :)

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
It's a bit weird how little they've shown of actual gameplay if it's coming out in 3 months, suppose we are about to hit the season of all the replacements for E3 in a week so it might be at one of those extensively.

I want to see the character customisation stuff if they're replacing the specific characters with specific classes, that worked really well in Vermintide so hopefully the replacement system is better (or at least equally good I guess).

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

This is :fatshark: buyers remorse is guaranteed for the first 6 months followed by intense feelings of self loathing as you want the game to succeed then eventual acceptance that sweden breeds devs that hate you. I'm not buying the game for 3 months to wait and see if there's the same poo poo show that VT2's launch was haha. Let's see if they continue not listing effects actual stats to hide how broken things are haha--remember when damage numbers mod finally came out and the huge list abilities that flat out just didn't work.

I enjoy the customization though i'm worried that whoever designed the elf weapons is now no longer locked to a single character so i expect some insane OP weapons eclipsing other more flavorful weapons.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I was really hoping for a Sienna new career. :(

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Deptfordx posted:

I was really hoping for a Sienna new career. :(

Since they're still adding content as of this month, I would not be surprised if they round off the game with a Sienna career this summer.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

Arghy posted:

This is :fatshark: buyers remorse is guaranteed for the first 6 months followed by intense feelings of self loathing as you want the game to succeed then eventual acceptance that sweden breeds devs that hate you. I'm not buying the game for 3 months to wait and see if there's the same poo poo show that VT2's launch was haha. Let's see if they continue not listing effects actual stats to hide how broken things are haha--remember when damage numbers mod finally came out and the huge list abilities that flat out just didn't work.

I enjoy the customization though i'm worried that whoever designed the elf weapons is now no longer locked to a single character so i expect some insane OP weapons eclipsing other more flavorful weapons.

i had a ton of fun with vermintide 2 at launch and almost no bad experiences. and 4 years later they added a ton of poo poo to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
It's also gonna be on gamepass day one if I recall correctly so the buyers remorse potential is minimal for me at least.