Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i’m trying to figure out how to feel about it because I’ve been quite concerned up until recently but when I start to look at the numbers it doesn’t seem as bad as I previously thought, and I am just unsure how to think about it, but I often find myself naive and ignorant about every topic in the world and I wonder what others think about it because I don’t want to look like a clown

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

echinopsis posted:

I don’t want to look like a clown

well

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

echinopsis posted:

just curious but is there a general consensus on what rates of mortality are required for something to be considered fatal

or to put it another way, how low does the mortality rate need to be before someone here would consider it “safe enough” to stop caring about the risk of getting covid? notwithstanding those who are more vulnerable than others

On an average day in America, given a population of ~330m, you would expect pre-covid to see a death rate of around 7700 per day on average.

Since the first death in the United States, we've averaged about 1480 deaths a day from covid, every day.

19% excess mortality in perpetuity is somewhat worrying

echinopsis posted:

i’m trying to figure out how to feel about it because I’ve been quite concerned up until recently but when I start to look at the numbers it doesn’t seem as bad as I previously thought, and I am just unsure how to think about it, but I often find myself naive and ignorant about every topic in the world and I wonder what others think about it because I don’t want to look like a clown

I don't know what's happening New Zealand but we're actively being gaslit here into believing that thousands of unnecessary deaths per day is normal and that if you refuse to consume and spend in spite of that you're some kind of freak.

160K Americans died in the first three months of this year due to a surge we were told was going to be 'mild'. In response to those staggering death rates we were told, "poo poo looks good, let's remove all mitigation efforts." If a civilization doesn't revolt due to that blatant disregard for their lives, they never will.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Risk assessment is a deeply personal and subjective thing. For the past couple weeks Ive been safe and inside. But today my wife was a jerk and I got money, so I'm at a bar drinking till the (packed almost full) 8:45pm showing of Everything Everywhere All At Once.

So the moving target must be assessed and weighed against the natural desire for self destruction.

Apr 7, 2003

The Battle of the Bulge resulted in 75k allied deaths over 39 days and is considered one of the great tragedies of the twentieth century.

The Omicron surge resulted in 160k American deaths over 89 days and is considered *checks notes* to be "mild"

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

turns out the solution is to shame people into mass vaccination

offer void in countries where shame has not yet been invented such as the united states

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

echinopsis posted:

as long as you keep thinking about it (as long as it may be relevant to do so, which...!) and particularly moreso when the facts appear to change, you're no clown

Apr 7, 2003

Kazinsal posted:

offer void in countries where shame has not yet been invented such as the united states

Good news, I work in public health metrics and the anti-covid poo poo has created so much backlash that people aren't immunizing their kids anymore for anything

traditional childhood immunizations are in the shitter so bad that our regulatory body has called emergency meetings about it

https://www.ncqa.org/hedis/measures/childhood-immunization-status/

A shame we don't have an appetite for immunization at gunpoint here. It's quite literally the only way it's happening for covid.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

echinopsis posted:

i'm not worried about getting covid once and having issues, i'm worried about getting covid five times and having issues

Apr 7, 2003

I'd have thought that a million+ people dying from a preventable disease would have convinced people to immunize against it, but it in fact has convinced people to drop any and all immunizations in statistically significant degrees. I'm just a random guy in his forties who drinks too much and apparently my desire to live is too high for america.

Apr 7, 2003

Cloks posted:

i'm not worried about getting covid once and having issues, i'm worried about getting covid five times and having issues

Don't worry, insanely rich people like Jen Psaki and Lamar Jackson, who have access to the best healthcare on earth, have gotten it over and over and been fine.

I'm sure you have access to the same resources and you'll be just fine.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Cloks posted:

idk i would be, risks aside i’m reasonably fit for a 40yo (i bike and run most days, etc) and i was literally sick for a year

Apr 7, 2003

mediaphage posted:

idk i would be, risks aside i’m reasonably fit for a 40yo (i bike and run most days, etc) and i was literally sick for a year

wow, look at this fear mongering

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

mediaphage posted:

why were u sick

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I don't know what's happening New Zealand

our mortality rate appears to be 0.06%

dreams are free

19% excess mortality in perpetuity is somewhat worrying

hmm yes gently caress

KirbyKhan posted:

Risk assessment is a deeply personal and subjective thing. For the past couple weeks Ive been safe and inside. But today my wife was a jerk and I got money, so I'm at a bar drinking till the (packed almost full) 8:45pm showing of Everything Everywhere All At Once.

So the moving target must be assessed and weighed against the natural desire for self destruction.

lol what’d she do

but yes. I can’t earn money without being on the frontlines so there’s my weighing up of the risk to me being a middle aged diabetic vs being able to afford a new chrome book for my kids for school

Kazinsal posted:

lol

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

fart simpson posted:

why were u sick

he was sick of u OP

Apr 7, 2003

I've lost longtime friends over this, not any sort of "gently caress you we're not talking anymore" but just a kind of slow drifting apart when you aren't in contact so much.

I've lost family members who got pissed because I said "you're gonna get sick" and they got pissy about it or they didn't like me implying that they were doing something wrong by partying when all of their servants couldn't be immunized.

It sucks but I'm not gonna get the novel virus that can reinfect you every few months and can cause brain damage and vascular damage and god knows what else, gently caress that poo poo. One of my brothers has already had it twice because he works at a university.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

mediaphage posted:

I wonder if we’re getting baby covid here because every second person I’ve talked to has had it now and they’re like “oh it was a bit poo poo and I was tired for a week but i’m ok now”.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I wonder if it would be bad to get a booster every month

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

echinopsis posted:

lol what’d she do

Called me a white devil in front of our son (1/4 devil) and her mama (0% devil). Which doesn't bother me much, but her mama was mad offended therefore blessing my temper tantrum.

Apr 7, 2003

echinopsis posted:

I wonder if we’re getting baby covid here because every second person I’ve talked to has had it now and they’re like “oh it was a bit poo poo and I was tired for a week but i’m ok now”.

If they're not confirming it with a rapid or PCR test they didn't have it

I know people who've thought they had covid and people who actually had covid. People who actually had covid say it ain't hard to tell, it loving rolls you like you've never been rolled in your life. There is no question

Apr 7, 2003

KirbyKhan posted:

Called me a white devil in front of our son (1/4 devil) and her mama (0% devil). Which doesn't bother me much, but her mama was mad offended therefore blessing my temper tantrum.

lol she's right

Apr 7, 2003

"My wife called me a white devil, so I immediately moved to expose her and our child to a deadly disease by the most effective methods known, a theater and a bar. She's such a jerk."

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Lmao I know rite, but she don't get to say it. Specially in front of our baby boy. Specially in front of mixed company. If she doesn't stop now, she's definitely not gonna when he understands language and lmao she wants to keep this bit of the bloodline secret from him. I swear, Americans lose their minds when they arnt allowed to say something.

Edit: yes, exactly PFC.

Apr 7, 2003

KirbyKhan posted:

Lmao I know rite, but she don't get to say it.

Actually she does, because you are.

Apr 7, 2003

It sounds like you're in a hosed phase of your life and I either feel bad for you or I'm glad your stuff goes to poo poo depending on the context which I won't read

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

AnimeIsTrash posted:

he was sick of u OP

i was

i still am, though

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer
KirbyKhan that sounds like a strange dynamic and regardless of their mamas agreement it seems like you’re struggling right now and basically just posting your Ls especially given that you’re discussing going out to two venues in the covid thread

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

echinopsis posted:

my personal thought is that most people who succumbed to the pressure of OPENRUP have an incentive to downplay the severity of how badly they found out after having hosed around, and/or are just that pathological about trying to pretend things are over

it's only really worth asking someone who trued relatively hard to avoid it and got it anyway. even then you're going to see the max-vaxed overrepresented. which doesn't help if you are immunocompromised or care about someone who is, or have young pre-vaxxed kids

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

If they're not confirming it with a rapid or PCR test they didn't have it

I know people who've thought they had covid and people who actually had covid. People who actually had covid say it ain't hard to tell, it loving rolls you like you've never been rolled in your life. There is no question

yeah everyone here tests with RAT tests

but what’s interesting is the huge variance in how much it affects a person, some people don’t seem
to get it bad. my ex wife used it as a holiday with her boyf where she didn’t need to have the boys.

a decent percentage of people are asymptomatic and a logical conclusion is that others are only mildly symptomatic.

there is no “no true scotsman” thing here where if it was mild or nbd then it wasn’t really covid

KirbyKhan posted:

so she’s calling you racist names ? mate

attempted racism isn’t cool imo

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

echinopsis posted:

but what’s interesting is the huge variance in how much it affects a person, some people don’t seem
to get it bad.

perhaps it’s worth noting that we weee covid free for a long time and got highly vaccinated, over 96% of the entire population (over 12) is partially vaxxed, over 95% fully vaxxed and 72% boosted, and most people got fully vaxxed before omicron started getting its groove on here

perhaps the much milder impact we’re seeing is a testament to vaccination done properly

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

echinopsis posted:

I wonder if it would be bad to get a booster every month

i'd be fine with getting a shot every month if it made me immune to getting sick, even if it made me feel gross and bad for a day after like the other ones did, but my understanding is that neither the vaccine nor the immune system work like that and so i just gotta keep waiting i guess. wearing a mask isn't so bad

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
i honestly think i look better with a mask so it's been a real boost to my self confidence

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Yeah, couldn't stop posting Ls. I'm cool now.

Everything, Everywhere, All At Once is fuckin dope. Find out when it comes to streaming and check that poo poo out.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Kenny Logins posted:

my personal thought is that most people who succumbed to the pressure of OPENRUP have an incentive to downplay the severity of how badly they found out after having hosed around, and/or are just that pathological about trying to pretend things are over

it's only really worth asking someone who trued relatively hard to avoid it and got it anyway. even then you're going to see the max-vaxed overrepresented. which doesn't help if you are immunocompromised or care about someone who is, or have young pre-vaxxed kids

ya for the record we got sick early on before vaccinations were possible

vaccination does impact severity variably, at least in the sense of shedding virus so it's likely it impacts symptomaticity to some extent, too

Stereotype posted:

i honestly think i look better with a mask so it's been a real boost to my self confidence

same, i'm not that attractive so hiding is nice, also then especially if i wear sunglasses i can roll my eyes and grimace all day long as long as i sound mildly polite

Apr 7, 2003

Stereotype posted:

I"m a really good looking guy but masking is important, so I've suffered for the common good.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Stereotype posted:

i'd be fine with getting a shot every month if it made me immune to getting sick, even if it made me feel gross and bad for a day after like the other ones did, but my understanding is that neither the vaccine nor the immune system work like that and so i just gotta keep waiting i guess. wearing a mask isn't so bad

hell i feel like poo poo way more than once a week i can deal with just being generally miserable of my own volition

KirbyKhan posted:

Yeah, couldn't stop posting Ls. I'm cool now.

Everything, Everywhere, All At Once is fuckin dope. Find out when it comes to streaming and check that poo poo out.

its really fukkin good. everyone's firing on all cylinders

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I"m a really good looking guy but masking is important, so I've suffered for the common good.

thank you for your service

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Share Bear posted:

not sure what part of the country you're heading back to but, what is worse:
- social awkwardness with some idiot you can disregard/ignore
- a fatal disease

part of the country where the venn of ppl who yell about wearing masks and either open/concealed carry is a circle