Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Advantage of being in the office more is getting face time with the R&D director so I'll have a better chance of getting hired in directly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I'm dealing with COVID and trying to take it easy and last night I'm up until 5 AM because loving prod is on fire and it turns out it's because some other system hosed up their code and started sending us garbage so we have to restore from backup but then this morning I wake up to "oh incrementals weren't working so we have to restore from the latest full backup" and so I have to reprocess the data since the start of the month and someone has the loving balls to ask if I can do that this weekend. No, motherfucker, I cannot. You will wait until Monday.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Hope your COVID recovery goes okay. Bullshit that you're having to work while sick.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
I worked in tier 2 and tier 3 Enterprise app support for twenty years.

I do not miss it, and I see nothing has changed in the last three years since my retirement.

Stay strong and try not to drink too much.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.
Serious Hardware/Software Crap > More poo poo that pisses you off: Stay strong and try not to drink too much

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

They took away our phones and said "no more working from home"

We've been working in the office for almost a year :confused:

Not sure the point but the very anti-work from home is going to bite them in the rear end when the entire helpdesk hates working in the office, and all of us are looking into getting another job actively and they're underpaying us.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I'm pretty sure the "premium" I would charge to work in an office vs remote is high 5 / low 6 figgies. Additional.

If you want me to move and come into the office, you better be offering a title that starts with "EVP" or "Cxx".

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

KillHour posted:

I'm pretty sure the "premium" I would charge to work in an office vs remote is high 5 / low 6 figgies. Additional.

If you want me to move and come into the office, you better be offering a title that starts with "EVP" or "Cxx".

I don't want the responsibility that comes with those titles, but yea, the only way to entice me to move for regular office appearances is that level of salary.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Wizard of the Deep posted:

I don't want the responsibility that comes with those titles, but yea, the only way to entice me to move for regular office appearances is that level of salary.

If you succeed in that responsibility, you're rewarded with hundreds of millions of dollars as your stock options' value soars into the atmosphere. If you fail, you only make single-digit millions as your golden parachute is deployed and you spend 4 months on vacation until one of your buddies gives you the same title at a different, but completely interchangeable company.

People keep telling me I should run my own company - that I'd be good at it. gently caress that; gambling my own money is for suckers. The smart move is to gamble other peoples' money without any consequences for failure.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

KillHour posted:

If you succeed in that responsibility, you're rewarded with hundreds of millions of dollars as your stock options' value soars into the atmosphere. If you fail, you only make single-digit millions as your golden parachute is deployed and you spend 4 months on vacation until one of your buddies gives you the same title at a different, but completely interchangeable company.

People keep telling me I should run my own company - that I'd be good at it. gently caress that; gambling my own money is for suckers. The smart move is to gamble other peoples' money without any consequences for failure.

:hmmyes:

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

KillHour posted:

This makes me think of that trader who hosed up and lost his company a billion dollars or some absurd amount, and I think got a massive golden parachute.

Or maybe he didn't but I'm not gonna look it up because that might make my argument look bad on the Internet and there's no bigger sin as we all know.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

SyNack Sassimov posted:

This makes me think of that trader who hosed up and lost his company a billion dollars or some absurd amount, and I think got a massive golden parachute.

Or maybe he didn't but I'm not gonna look it up because that might make my argument look bad on the Internet and there's no bigger sin as we all know.

If it's the same guy I'm thinking of he actually kept losing money and hiding it and doubling down until the bank he worked for (Barings bank - one of the oldest and most influential banks in the world) literally collapsed. Don't be that guy.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barings_Bank

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Something is causing a PayPal decline with extra errors on one of our severs. There have been a minimum of 150,000, with a more realistic estimate of over 200,000 of these error emails since Friday 5:00 PM. I was the last developer in that day, and the one idea I had, resetting the servers, did nothing and the automated resets have also done nothing. We have a system to cull excess error emails that doesn't seem to be triggering as it's showing hilariously small numbers culled. It's even hitting the rate limiting on the email server. It's going to be a "fun" team meeting tomorrow.

Edit from Monday morning: Russian IP doing the spamming, all told 250,000 emails.

Maigius fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Apr 11, 2022

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

KillHour posted:

If it's the same guy I'm thinking of he actually kept losing money and hiding it and doubling down until the bank he worked for (Barings bank - one of the oldest and most influential banks in the world) literally collapsed. Don't be that guy.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barings_Bank

Ah, but apparently, he's now making boatloads of cash on the speaking and D-list celebrity circuit!

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2019/jul/02/nick-leeson-new-life-banking-notorious-rogue

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
Another day, another nastygram from a customer big wig complaining about something they know nothing about based on second hand info.

This time she claimed we said an integration we were on a call (that she didn't join) to discuss was unnecessary. Only we never said that. We just asked how it related to a recently approved change request to do what seemed to be a very similar process (we asked this question numerous times over the past few weeks, but received no response). Oh, and shame on us for mentioning change requests in front of that audience!

The other funny thing is that one of the reasons she states both need to exist (which was determined on the call and everyone was fine with) is that the vendor doing the new integration can get to work immediately. lol. My manager had me join that call in hopes we'd get enough detail to write an SOW. One of the customer PMs even sent an email today because he figured we must be committed to performing this work because "why else did we have four resources on the call?" You mean the call that included our sales rep, but no project manager? Maybe because it was sales discovery?

I swear one day I'm going to say gently caress it, and just nuke my job by responding to these jokers and telling them to get their poo poo straight or gently caress off.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

These are the worst, most bland tasting, most terribly textured cherries I've ever had in my life. That's it - that's my complaint. Thanks for listening.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
I see your cherries and raise you this mealy naval orange.

:negative:

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015
Can't be worse than this tasteless muskmellon I'm eating...

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

tactlessbastard posted:

Global IT pushed out a windows patch today that rebooted every single PC, including all the computers running our robotic cranes simultaneously, leading to them crashing. I guess you might say THIS IS IMPACTING PRODUCTION

lol

Lol they did it again last night

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007

tactlessbastard posted:

This was the one where "crashing" meant something physical and literal right?

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

tactlessbastard posted:

How much so far in lost productivity? I know someone is keeping a count somewhere.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Sibling of TB posted:

This was the one where "crashing" meant something physical and literal right?

Yep

Zil posted:

How much so far in lost productivity? I know someone is keeping a count somewhere.

About 90 minutes.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Oof.

Today was one of those days. I 100% misconfigured something in AWS, it was a stupid mistake, I caught it later. But I have no other explanation than "I blew it, I'm sorry" and moving on. It wont be the last time I make a mistake, it happens to everyone I know. But it still sucks when it happens.

In my case I goofed an ALB and WAF config in an AWS account so that traffic was bypassing the WAF. I caught it and fixed it, no negative consequences, but I still feel stupid.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

If you don't work at a toxic company, literally nobody will notice or care after you finish saying "yeah I did that wrong but I fixed it and it's good now"

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Case in point, I just did a wittle oopsie whoopsie fucky wucky and I'm sure it will be fiiiiiiine.

The cluster I was supposed to delete had a REALLY similar name to the cluster I actually deleted and I had to message someone like "hey.... so is anyone using this cluster for anything?" Yeah.... At least it's dev and there are backups.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Finallly got our firewall exception done

Took two weeks. Ticket went dark for five days after being transferred to IBM in India, which is where we outsource our Zscaler configuration to

They still didn't fix it so I had to have them double check everything. Said nothing was wrong. Then like three hours later it magically worked.

Honey Im Homme
Sep 3, 2009

You have a real problem with Indians lol

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Honey Im Homme posted:

think again, bub! :smug:

Bob Morales posted:

Also I'm not racist, I love Indian food and I go to the local 'India Fair' ever summer.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

VPN changed from split tunnel to full. :(

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

xzzy posted:

VPN changed from split tunnel to full. :(

Why!?!

I cant think of any good reasons off the top of my head that a company would do that instead of CASB or mitm Zscaler type solution instead.

They could be super cheap I guess, thats one reason.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Not pissing me off. Boss is finally putting his foot down on the "no work carried out unless there's a ticket" instead of just caving every time someone moderately important tags him on teams.

Pissing me off. Boss: "Why are there so many more tickets this week?"

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Lum posted:

Not pissing me off. Boss is finally putting his foot down on the "no work carried out unless there's a ticket" instead of just caving every time someone moderately important tags him on teams.

Pissing me off. Boss: "Why are there so many more tickets this week?"

to be fair, #2 is the first step towards Boss recognizing how much support work y'all do

stevewm
May 10, 2005
ISPs and brain dead tech support, "tier 2" even.

Our local fiber provider was bought out 2 years ago by a larger company called Great Plains Communications out of Nebraska. Prior to the buyout I could call and have a resolution in minutes, or at least an ETA. This is a thing of the past.

We have 4 locations with their service. All 4 of these locations are experiencing major routing issues every hour or so; huge swaths of the internet become unreachable for 5-10 minutes at a time. I also have them for my own home connection and experiencing the same issue, as are several employees at work that have their service, a couple of my friends and my neighbor! Going on day 2.

When I call to report this, even to their "tier 2" support, they are only concerned with one location. They absolutely refuse to acknowledge any troubleshooting I have done. They dispatched a tech to one location who did nothing but unplug our router, run some ping tests to their DNS server and closed the ticket. When I mentioned to the tech it's all of our locations, he just said "that is above my paygrade" and left.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

KillHour posted:

Case in point, I just did a wittle oopsie whoopsie fucky wucky and I'm sure it will be fiiiiiiine.

The cluster I was supposed to delete had a REALLY similar name to the cluster I actually deleted and I had to message someone like "hey.... so is anyone using this cluster for anything?" Yeah.... At least it's dev and there are backups.

Narrator: It was fine. :sweatdrop:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Why!?!

I cant think of any good reasons off the top of my head that a company would do that instead of CASB or mitm Zscaler type solution instead.

They could be super cheap I guess, thats one reason.

Super cheap and super poor. There's a big zero trust drive going around our community and this was one of the casualties.

vv I'm not saying it was a good decision. That's just what drove it! I am powerless in these matters.

xzzy fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Apr 13, 2022

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

^^^^ for sure, wasn't criticizing you ^^^^

ah, yes, the zero trust vpn

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Apr 13, 2022

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I want to talk to the person who knows the phrase "zero trust" and achieves it with an always-on tunnel

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Thanks Ants posted:

I want to talk to the person who knows the phrase "zero trust" and achieves it with an always-on tunnel

zero think

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Honey Im Homme posted:

It's just that it's outsourced and we have five layers of people to go through. Almost didn't want to say where because someone would get all bent out of shape. Never said anything about Indians, just said that's where it was.

I hated having the firewall stuff being run out of the UK too!

Bob Morales fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Apr 14, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

The worst outsourced support I ever dealt with would have to be a tie between HPE Aruba and some company I can't remember the name of.

Offenses:

Closing your ticket without fixing it

Simply replying with the same scripted responses over and over

Refusal to escalate the ticket or switch technicians after hours of not being able to make progress

Completely refusing to respond over the phone or email

Lying about having done something. Or not done anything. We had entire sites come up after being down three days. "No we did not make any change"

Days long delays when working on tickets