Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

a new expedition and at the end of it we get a new frigate and it's the jackdaw from assassin's creed iv: black flag

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

that would genuinely own several corpses worth of bones

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
I'm 2 days in and animals don't keep their appearance. Does that happen for everyone?

The first creatures I identified have different parts today. Their catalogue entries match what I first saw, but they're different in the field.

Quick edit. I just stumbled across creatures that look like they did yesterday, but they're chilling next to their mutant siblings with the same name.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Apr 12, 2022

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Donnerberg posted:

I'm 2 days in and animals don't keep their appearance. Does that happen for everyone?

The first creatures I identified have different parts today. Their catalogue entries match what I first saw, but they're different in the field.

Quick edit. I just stumbled across creatures that look like they did yesterday, but they're chilling next to their mutant siblings with the same name.

Some animals look different when they're young, and I think some animals might also display sexual dimorphism.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
Okay, that makes sense. Cheers.

Is the expedition useful for learning the game? I'm at the anomaly station on my first save, but haven't done much base building or combat. Been wondering if I should try the expedition now or later.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Donnerberg posted:

Is the expedition useful for learning the game? I'm at the anomaly station on my first save, but haven't done much base building or combat. Been wondering if I should try the expedition now or later.

It's kinda designed as the opposite. It skips tutorials and the main quest (which introduces a lot of the basic elements of the game), so it'll probably be a bit confusing.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

How are mods for this game? I finally have a PC that can run it, and played a few times on ps4/5.

Maybe something to make language collection -SLIGHTLY- less of a chore. I always start over which means starting language over which means tediously talking to every single person on a base and planet etc.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Saxophone posted:

How are mods for this game? I finally have a PC that can run it, and played a few times on ps4/5.

Maybe something to make language collection -SLIGHTLY- less of a chore. I always start over which means starting language over which means tediously talking to every single person on a base and planet etc.

Do you want the "words learned" milestones, or do you just want to understand? An Automatic Translation Device is quite useful for the second option, and you can stack all 4 levels to automatically translate 7 words per conversation.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Do you want the "words learned" milestones, or do you just want to understand? An Automatic Translation Device is quite useful for the second option, and you can stack all 4 levels to automatically translate 7 words per conversation.

This is news to me. Last time I checked, the game told me only the best translator mattered, so 4 words translated per conversation should be maximum. (Caveat: I'm going purely by memory here, so any number of patches could have changed this and I wouldn't have noticed.)

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
Just started hopping galaxies. Also just found out galaxy colors matter! I was jumping with a rando ship with no hyperdrive upgrades. Couldnt jump into a green core without upgrading. Seems obvious now, but a tooltip woulda been nice.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Libluini posted:

This is news to me. Last time I checked, the game told me only the best translator mattered, so 4 words translated per conversation should be maximum. (Caveat: I'm going purely by memory here, so any number of patches could have changed this and I wouldn't have noticed.)

Yeah I'm just going by what the wiki says, I only have one installed.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

https://twitter.com/NoMansSky/status/1514226911156727809?s=20&t=7T_o8qZDT1gZj5ZXDujx1Q

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

:fap:

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
goddamn this game never stops updating

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

"improved space combat"

oh gently caress yes

i also wanna know what exactly this solar ship is

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
I've heard the solar ships being described as long haulers so I'm guessing the sails let them recharge fuel.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

They look rad as all hell.

I hope this update gives my hands back in VR, that would be nice. It is out TODAY so I should check that out.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

lol jesus, this game never stops.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I paid like 5 bucks for it five years ago when everyone hated it too. Got my money's worth now!

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Lmao I just started this and had just gotten my living ship yesterday, and now they dangle the solar sailboat in front of me

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

Living ships aren't that great anyway. Besides, with this update you now have the advantage of owning up to nine ships.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

CaptainSkinny posted:

Living ships aren't that great anyway. Besides, with this update you now have the advantage of owning up to nine ships.

Hmm but consider - biological spaceships are cool :colbert:

E:

Mokinokaro posted:

I've heard the solar ships being described as long haulers so I'm guessing the sails let them recharge fuel.

Yeah, I got lucky and had one spawn in my current system while I was dinking around. Average stats, but their solar sail tech thingy gives them really good fuel efficiency and lets them recharge thrusters during spaceflight. The one I found had an S-ranked version of said tech but I dunno if there are lower ranked versions of it around.

Psycho Landlord fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Apr 13, 2022

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

calm down, hello games

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Holy drat, guess I'm gonna drop back into this game after 6 months

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I skipped the sentinel update too, so, i have a bunch more to get into. considering starting a new one as my main save is pretty much maxed out all around, but the early game grind drives me away every time.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

I too want to jump back in. Last time I played was probably more than a year ago. Do I still need to progress through the Artemis quest line to get those important starting blueprints?

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

I'm pretty sure you can buy all blueprints in the game with nanites, effectively skipping the storyline. Start farming those nanites.

This is why I personally use duplication glitches in the early game for a nice start, then stop using them once I get to a more comfortable starting position.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Yeah most everything is on the anomaly seems like. As a newer person I haven't really gotten anything from a plot mission that I couldn't have just bought outright from one of the weirdo NPCs there.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
Is there a way to tell what the wings look like when you are buying a solar sail? They look awesome!

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Hope you see the ship landing I guess

I think they're supposed to animate in the inventory menu so you can see before you buy, but at least on my end the animation gets stuck in the first few frames and just repeats

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Just got an update on XSX, the anomaly is already full of people's solar ships but the patch notes still say sentinel update.

I'm also getting horrible artifacting in translucent elements. The game also thinks space stations are planets now.

e: here is the first ship it compresses when you land and then expands as you're taking off and then the sails open in space.

really makes me feel like i'm podracing.

Also, good luck ever figuring out what color the ship is with only red lights in the pirate stations.

e: cargo slots seem to max at 21, so you can have 48 + 21 + 21

resources still only stack to 9999

things that stack to 5 in suit/ship and 20 on freighter stack to 10 in ship cargo.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Apr 13, 2022

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.
Are there still asteroids everywhere you look at? It's kinda silly but that was one of my biggest problems with this game.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Pigbottom posted:

Are there still asteroids everywhere you look at? It's kinda silly but that was one of my biggest problems with this game.

Even worse, asteroids now load in while you're still warping.

Other new hilarious bugs:

if you try to sell something that's in your ship's new cargo inventory, you get the money but it doesn't remove it from your inventory. you could theoretically load up with 210 stasis devices and get 3.276 billion dollars every time you hit the button.

you can buy 50-150 of each of the "suspicious" upgrade packages for pretty cheap at pirate stations, crack them open, and the upgrades sell for 5 times the listed nanites at tech merchants.

Also, integer overflows are back. if you try to sell a stack of something worth more than 2.147b it turns negative.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Apr 13, 2022

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Powershift posted:

Even worse, asteroids now load in while you're still warping.

Other new hilarious bugs:

if you try to sell something that's in your ship's new cargo inventory, you get the money but it doesn't remove it from your inventory. you could theoretically load up with 210 stasis devices and get 3.276 billion dollars every time you hit the button.

you can buy 50-150 of each of the "suspicious" upgrade packages for pretty cheap at pirate stations, crack them open, and the upgrades sell for 5 times the listed nanites at tech merchants.

I think the suspicious upgrades are bugged, in that they're selling for "the amount of tainted metal that they'd cost" but in credits; repair kits are similarly selling for ~66k credits from a new vendor and (oops) 66k tainted metal from the old tainted-metal vendor.

The cargo inventory thing is handy for credits but more handy for nanites, if you're so inclined; stick a bunch of the same S-class module in there and get a couple thousand nanites a click

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The pirate bounties are always in the exact same place relative to the space station. If you do one with an atlas station in the system, when you go into a new pirate system and do one, it kicks you out of warp for "atlas station proximity" in the place where the atlas station is in the previous system.

In the pirate intro storyline, you're required to reset your standing with a forged passport. if you're not negative with them, this doesn't work and you can't progress any further in the mission line, or get the mission out of your log.

Also, if you have multiple of the same module in your inventory, it sells them all for the value multiplied by the number, which is currently then 5x the listed value.

Wacky day 1 bugs are probably my favorite part of NMS updates.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Apr 14, 2022

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Psycho Landlord posted:

Hmm but consider - biological spaceships are cool :colbert:
they are very cool but also upgrading them requires an insane amount of effort compared to just dumping cash into a regular ship.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
So.... First Spawn Relics.

Did my first Pirate mission, got two. Flew to a regular station (+168% Demand)

Sold 2....
Inventory didn't go down...
Sold the same 2 again...
Inventory didn't go down again...

Made 60 million so far repeatedly selling them.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
jesus christ. i sold my ps4 last year, bought an xbox a couple weeks ago, started a new game, saw there was an update today, read the patch notes

:psyduck:

literally how does this team keep doing this. literally how

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

precision posted:

jesus christ. i sold my ps4 last year, bought an xbox a couple weeks ago, started a new game, saw there was an update today, read the patch notes

:psyduck:

literally how does this team keep doing this. literally how

Because the game is good, OP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

yea it is kind of hard to understand their business model, in the sense that theyve literally only made one other game since NMS was released in 2016, and thats a small puzzle game that got like no publicity at all. so i do wonder how they are actually generating revenue. are the patches that improve nms really helping sell the game to enough new players that they can keep employing everyone and making more patches instead of moving on to a new big game?