Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AppleNippleBOB
May 13, 2007

mawarannahr posted:

I’ve been too afraid to drop since the pandemic, personally.

:yeshaha:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Not too long ago my boss invited me out to a restaurant and got real defensive when I went "LMAO there's a pandemic on my dude, that's a big nope from me." He's currently posting about the lovely meal he had with one of his other employees last night and waxing poetic about the theatre show he saw afterwards.
Did I mention that he's 80 years old and just before the pandemic he had a whole bunch of medical issues such as melanoma and a mystery respiratory issue which lasted for several years?

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Not too long ago my boss invited me out to a restaurant and got real defensive when I went "LMAO there's a pandemic on my dude, that's a big nope from me." He's currently posting about the lovely meal he had with one of his other employees last night and waxing poetic about the theatre show he saw afterwards.
Did I mention that he's 80 years old and just before the pandemic he had a whole bunch of medical issues such as melanoma and a mystery respiratory issue which lasted for several years?

maybe he wants to die. i might if i ever made it to 80 (lmao)

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

lol your boss is 80

CK07
Nov 8, 2005

bum bum BAA, bum bum, ba-bum ba baa..
So, a little good news accompanied by a question: my partner has made it to the third hurdle of interviewing for a potential dream job, which he's spent several years angling for. That hurdle: an in-person interview across the country. He'll have to fly, of course - I just ordered him an Envo since we had the absolute shittiest time imaginable on our last flight with our (filtered exhaust!) RU8500s. So the mask situation is handled.

However, they're putting him in a hotel, and it's going to be a slightly fancy one that's too good to open directly to the outdoors, so he'll want some kind of air cycling for the room. We've heard a little about these travel air filters, since he's probably not going to be able to build a C-R cube in this situation, but we have no idea how to evaluate their goodness. Ergo, here I come to ask the experts.

Here's a sample of what he's found - any assistance with choosing the best of these, or any other suggestions, will be appreciated beyond words.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08FDKJTFV?tag=travelawaits-20 (we wouldn't buy it off amazon, obviously gently caress bezos even aside from the counterfeiting issue)
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/pure-enrichment-purezone-mini-54-sq-ft-portable-air-purifier-white/6460240.p?skuId=6460240
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/westinghouse-portable-air-purifier-with-true-hepa-filter-and-ncco-technology-white/6492801.p?skuId=6492801
https://www.target.com/p/holmes-min...nt&adgroup=85-0
https://www.buybuybaby.com/store/product/crane-true-hepa-air-purifier/5260608?skuId=66605690&mcid=OS_googlepla
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/levoit...&extStoreId=101

Sorry if this has been answered, I have to declare thread bankruptcy every drat day because of you good people.

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?
is farting a symptom of omicron? I tested positive and I’m farting a lot and I’d like to know if they’re related

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

My husband's boss has been really good about WFH, enforcing masks and keeping clients out of the office. He's also got hosed up legs from having polio as a child so that might have something to do with his ability to believe that viruses should be taken seriously.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

wynott dunn posted:

is farting a symptom of omicron? I tested positive and I’m farting a lot and I’d like to know if they’re related

Nobody reads the OP. Yes.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

CK07 posted:

So, a little good news accompanied by a question: my partner has made it to the third hurdle of interviewing for a potential dream job, which he's spent several years angling for. That hurdle: an in-person interview across the country. He'll have to fly, of course - I just ordered him an Envo since we had the absolute shittiest time imaginable on our last flight with our (filtered exhaust!) RU8500s. So the mask situation is handled.

However, they're putting him in a hotel, and it's going to be a slightly fancy one that's too good to open directly to the outdoors, so he'll want some kind of air cycling for the room. We've heard a little about these travel air filters, since he's probably not going to be able to build a C-R cube in this situation, but we have no idea how to evaluate their goodness. Ergo, here I come to ask the experts.

I super don't mean this in a bitchy way but I don't have time to go to all those links and compare air purifiers right now but in case it's helpful here's a post on staying at a hotel during covid and one comparing air purifiers, the ones you're looking at might be on it? Both are in the OP for reference.

Trixie Hardcore posted:

Marwa Zaatari did a two part thread on staying in a hotel during covid so you might find it helpful for planning.

https://twitter.com/marwa_zaatari/status/1448477729347850241
https://twitter.com/marwa_zaatari/status/1454201404793532423

Trixie Hardcore posted:

Both my Coway 1512 and 250 are very quiet to me a person who likes quiet but they are also not cheap

https://www.amazon.com/Coway-AP-1512HH-Mighty-Purifier-White/dp/B01728NLRG
https://www.amazon.com/Coway-AP-1720H-True-Purifier-White/dp/B08H4DZ5MD

The air purifier comparison chart in the OP rates them by db so you can use that to find the quietest options.

e: here it is
https://twitter.com/marwa_zaatari/status/1429629474878988288

Good luck on your partner getting the job and staying covid free!

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

https://twitter.com/LetaHong/status/1514220584590323714

lmao that’s certainly a take

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
what mess lol? not letting millions of people die?

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

won’t someone think of the poor, beautiful, graceful coronavirus, just trying to survive in this cruel world

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I'm very grateful/lucky that I was WFH before covid was even a thing so there's zero pressure for me to "return to the office"

smashmyradio
May 1, 2021
so i work as a data analyst for healthcare stuff and my team has been WFH since march 2020. we have been ordered to go back to the office in May for half of each week. i've talked to the union, i talked to my boss, i got doctors note and tried to get a medical exemption, they said no.

im looking for a new job anyway, but in the meantime im not sure what to do... should i just book half of every week as vacation until it runs out (in a few months) and then quit? just continue working remotely and filling in my normal timesheets until im confronted? go into the office with my respirator and not talk or hydrate for 8 hours a day?

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

smashmyradio posted:

so i work as a data analyst for healthcare stuff and my team has been WFH since march 2020. we have been ordered to go back to the office in May for half of each week. i've talked to the union, i talked to my boss, i got doctors note and tried to get a medical exemption, they said no.

im looking for a new job anyway, but in the meantime im not sure what to do... should i just book half of every week as vacation until it runs out (in a few months) and then quit? just continue working remotely and filling in my normal timesheets until im confronted? go into the office with my respirator and not talk or hydrate for 8 hours a day?

I would take sick and vacation days.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

drat.. that's crazy

stump collector
May 28, 2007

Google Butt posted:

drat.. that's crazy

surely in not the greatest city

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

smashmyradio posted:

I'm voting for just not showing up. Maybe they wan't notice.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

Hit da bricks (under radar)

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

might as well just continue remote cause the second u come in ur stuck

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

but as someone who wears a respirator 8 hours a day just eat and drink outside or in ur car ez

smashmyradio
May 1, 2021

Tzen posted:

the book ends on this take of biden being sworn in on january 20 2021,

continued on the next page,

published november 2nd 2021, lmao

holy poo poo, the writer just ugly-crying with joy about the eminent biden
https://youtu.be/j4nUrx2CRwQ

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

cr0y posted:

Who are the good people on Twitter nowadays?

I curate a list of not psychotic epidemiologists, public health people, doctors, etc.

https://twitter.com/i/lists/1468644940037033986?t=KZ_dkV0pEMrmoANTZsRckA&s=09

I am mildy irritated that some of them have "moved on" to Ukraine posting some of the time but I suppose that's just life

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

stump collector posted:

surely in not the greatest city

Love Da Mets :coronatoot:!

CK07
Nov 8, 2005

bum bum BAA, bum bum, ba-bum ba baa..

Trixie Hardcore posted:

I super don't mean this in a bitchy way but I don't have time to go to all those links and compare air purifiers right now but in case it's helpful here's a post on staying at a hotel during covid and one comparing air purifiers, the ones you're looking at might be on it? Both are in the OP for reference.

Good luck on your partner getting the job and staying covid free!

Not taken as bitchy in the least, I read the OP closely when you started the thread, and have referred back to it multiple times because it is so fantastic and dense with info. I think my eyes just passed right over the tweets you quoted, so really, really thank you for taking the time to direct me (and thereby protect me)!

For anyone who is also curious about this question, I believe Dr. Zaatari travels with the Levoit Core 300 True HEPA Air Purifier, though I am extrapolating from the image and specs she posted.

And thanks for the good wishes! We're really trying not to count unhatched chickens here, but drat is it hard not to wistfully browse rentals in my hometown.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

U-DO Burger posted:

things i learned today:

- people with HIV are hurt by Covid because lockdowns took them away from their support circles
- all of the vaccines are good for one reason or another, except for sinovac and sinopharm
- reinfections with Omicron after 6 weeks? this is something that really drives home the importance of hybrid immunity
- viruses naturally evolve over time to become less pathogenic
- people with HIV probably don't need a fourth shot
- one reason why the immune system of the average american is primed to fight covid is due to our awesome-as-hell T-cells

absolutely no mention of long covid in a presentation on HIV and Covid :shepface:
goddamn imagine somehow being a professor of medicine at UCSF despite being this bad at medicine

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.

You are completely dillusional.

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
This Covid thread is full of parannoyed hypercondriak's

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

T-Paine posted:

This Covid thread is full of parannoyed hypercondriak's

that's right

keep your AKs hyper, con, and dry

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://twitter.com/fitterhappierAJ/status/1514460959355461635

Recon by fire.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

"Just as Mao and his lieutenants ignored the opposition to their anti-sparrow policy from scientists and technocrats, Beijing has ignored experts’ advice that China abandon its costly strategy and learn to coexist with the coronavirus, especially a milder, if more infectious, variant."

"Instead, Beijing insists on following the same playbook from 2020 that relies on mass testing, quarantine and lockdowns. The approach has put hundreds of millions of lives on pause, sent tens of thousands to makeshift quarantine camps and deprived many non-Covid patients of medical treatments.

“They’re not countering the pandemic. They’re creating disasters,” Ye Qing, a law scholar who is known by his pen name, Xiao Han, wrote in an online article that was swiftly deleted."

later in the article,

"The policy still enjoys strong public support. Many people on social media said Shanghai wasn’t strict enough in its lockdowns and quarantines. A venture capitalist posted on WeChat that he would not invest in start-up founders who didn’t back the policy.

This is not surprising. With limited access to information and no tools to hold the authority accountable, the vast majority of Chinese generally support whatever the government decides."

lmao

oh hey there's comments of course,
"Tim Bratten
So many people in the western world, on the right, and as we see in these comments, on the left as well, readily willing to give up their freedom to feel safe, protected, and taken care of by a strong authority. It's kind of creepy and doesn't seem to bode well for the future of liberal democracy."
lmao

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

corona familiar posted:

lmao that’s certainly a take

It makes sense when you realize that they consider Chinese people to be vermin.

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?
he’s right that I would much rather feel confident my government gave a poo poo about my material comfort and conditions, and that these would improve in the future

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

taking out the garbage today, overheard a conversation amongst my neighbors

"oh hey x, it's nice to see you! been awhile!"
"yeah just been dealing with long covid stuff ... it's alright. how's xyz doing?"

i was then out of earshot
both retired, 60+, face 2 face, and unmasked.

BuT iT wAs OuTdOoRs

lmao normal poo poo

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

wynott dunn posted:

he’s right that I would much rather feel confident my government gave a poo poo about my material comfort and conditions, and that these would improve in the future

Authoritarianism is when I'm not allowed to exploit people worse off than me

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Chamale posted:

Asthma meds are expensive, so I chug a sugar-free Rockstar when I feel an asthma attack coming on because caffeine is a vasodilator.

...i thought my asthma just slowly got better on its own as i got older. :sludgepal:

lol

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

wynott dunn posted:

your not supposed to eat the beans until civilization collapses

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Rutibex posted:

:yeah:

You stop when you run out of beans, and that isn't happening until a while after society's gone.

HazCat
May 4, 2009

Rutibex posted:

:wrong:

You are supposed to eat the beans and replace them with fresh beans so that when supply lines actually get hosed you aren't stuck with year old beans.

Don't be an idiot prepper with a bunker full of rotten beans, rotate your bean hoard responsibly!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ebola Roulette
Sep 13, 2010

No matter what you win lose ragepiss.
At a conference for work with thousands of people and I can count the number of masks on one hand. Guess I get to find out if my kn95 is counterfeit :shepicide: