Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ButcherWombat
Sep 28, 2021
Test-and-treat
Covid feet
Lost my sense of taste, can't eat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Platystemon posted:

drat it’s a meta‐analysis.

poo poo’s fridgedoc catnip.

what do you think are the weaknesses of meta analysis?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

mawarannahr posted:

Oh no, I mean, certain types people place a lot of weight on them

even when they shouldn’t

but only if they say what the doctor wants to believe.

Temiko
Aug 9, 2004
Now that covidactnow.org has fallen victim to CDC idiocy, is there another reliable website with the same info in the same easily readable format? As in, daily cases per 100k per county, with a graph that has the old risk levels. The CDC page technically has the info but it's way down low on the page, at least on a mobile browser.

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure
Walgreens is our last hope

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

mawarannahr posted:

ivermectin meta analyses included junk papers that were later removed or retracted, but the meta analysis kept being used to "prove" something

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Temiko posted:

Now that covidactnow.org has fallen victim to CDC idiocy, is there another reliable website with the same info in the same easily readable format? As in, daily cases per 100k per county, with a graph that has the old risk levels. The CDC page technically has the info but it's way down low on the page, at least on a mobile browser.

Don't really know if it matches what you're looking for precisely, but I like the dash at globalepidemics.org

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Platystemon posted:

Oh no, I mean, certain types people place a lot of weight on them

even when they shouldn’t

but only if they say what the doctor wants to believe.

starkebn posted:

ivermectin meta analyses included junk papers that were later removed or retracted, but the meta analysis kept being used to "prove" something

“meta analysis doesn’t kill people, people kill people.” they’re still pretty important.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

post COVID posted:

New from Ralph Baric, notable for stabbing Shi Zhengli in the back, and coauthors: SARS-CoV-2 infection of airway cells causes intense viral and cell shedding, two spreading mechanisms affected by IL-13

Pretty scanning electron microscopy images of SARS-CoV-2 virions popping out of human airway epithelial cells. Shown are 'ballooning' cells filled to the point of bursting with viruses, and cilia coated in little virus particles.

:eyepop: but also :stonk:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
There have been at least four meta‐analyses on “randomized controlled trials” of masking in medical settings that are totally bunk because they include studies with fundamentally different methodology from each other that don’t even use mask right anyway.

There are good studies that show that wearing N95 respirators continuously within the ward works.

There are bad studies that show that putting masks on only when closing to within six feet of a patient, and only when it’s not an emergency, that procedure doesn’t work.

Mix the two together and you get poo poo, but it’s poo poo that gets published and cited.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

what box shaped fan available in Canada goes well with the Ikea filters for a corsi-rosenthal?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Polo-Rican posted:

I have no idea if it's total bullshit but I've seen a lot of people claiming that tests will come back negative until 5 days after symptoms appear. Anyone know if there's any validity to that?... (And if it's true: lol)

your viral shedding is most like to start becoming detectable on average 5 days after exposure/infection

you might detect it earlier but if you want the best chances of detecting it, you want to test on the 5th day after exposure

ideally you want to test multiple times so that you can catch it if you start shedding virus earlier than that, but we don’t live in an ideal world where tests are totally free

PCR tests will generally detect infection 2 days earlier than rapid tests

Rapid tests are also less likely to detect omicron, and also less likely to detect infection if you don’t have visible symptoms

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

*zz top voice*

cause every girl crazy 'bout a box shaped fan

Temiko
Aug 9, 2004

Fix posted:

Don't really know if it matches what you're looking for precisely, but I like the dash at globalepidemics.org

This is pretty sweet. I don't see a way to link to specific data for a county or state etc. My goal is to give friends and family a simple "clink link, look at shiny number" without having to dig at all. This could probably work though. Thanks!

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Even if there is in fact a large fraction of the population with robust innate and adaptive immunity preventing symptomatic infection, how long can that last when it's constantly being challenged by exposure coming from the susceptible fraction of the population. It's not just vaccine induced antibodies that the virus can evolve to evade.

Ordinarily this process would play out over a long enough time scale that this natural immunity would be selected for and an evolutionary arms race would proceed over centuries. In the current circumstances we're doing everything possible to help this virus figure out how to infect everyone.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Temiko posted:

This is pretty sweet. I don't see a way to link to specific data for a county or state etc. My goal is to give friends and family a simple "clink link, look at shiny number" without having to dig at all. This could probably work though. Thanks!

Ah, yeah I haven't found a way to make it do that.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

Temiko posted:

globalepidemics shows Missouri in Green
CDC shows Missouri in mostly Orange
Walgreens shows Missouri in Red

So how is Missouri doing?

e: wastewater shows Missouri is mostly orange or null

Trixie Hardcore has issued a correction as of 04:22 on Apr 20, 2022

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Nocturtle posted:

Even if there is in fact a large fraction of the population with robust innate and adaptive immunity preventing symptomatic infection, how long can that last when it's constantly being challenged by exposure coming from the susceptible fraction of the population. It's not just vaccine induced antibodies that the virus can evolve to evade.

Ordinarily this process would play out over a long enough time scale that this natural immunity would be selected for and an evolutionary arms race would proceed over centuries. In the current circumstances we're doing everything possible to help this virus figure out how to infect everyone.

We have purposely trained the virus correctly, as a joke.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
*Seinfeld voice* Why don’t they make the plane out of the N95?

Anachronist
Feb 13, 2009

GXL posted:

A guy at Costco took a break from shoving a food sample into his mouth to tell me that I “look like [I’m] going to Europe”(??). I cranked the chest speaker to max and shouted back “WHY DONT YOU MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS,” and let me tell you that the unexpected sound of angry yelling through something like a megaphone will shut a person up.

lol this owns. imagining you in a mecha-suit powering up and flicking switches to prepare to unleash the sound blast.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://twitter.com/JohnRuchAtlanta/status/1516415735702171661

Who here is excited to see what kind of avatars we can get out of this attempt for the CDC to forecast cases, now with less reliable data than ever before!

Reminder that they discontinued forecasts altogether weeks ago, after moving to a single week forecast.

quote:

Evaluation of case forecasts showed that more reported cases than expected fell outside the forecast prediction intervals for extended periods of time. Given this low reliability, COVID-19 case forecasts will no longer be posted by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

This is a mild way of saying “reality blew past the supposed ninety‐five percent confidence intervals of our forecasts for months on end”.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Platystemon posted:

https://twitter.com/JohnRuchAtlanta/status/1516415735702171661

Who here is excited to see what kind of avatars we can get out of this attempt for the CDC to forecast cases, now with less reliable data than ever before!

Reminder that they discontinued forecasts altogether weeks ago, after moving to a single week forecast.

This is a mild way of saying “reality blew past the supposed ninety‐five percent confidence intervals of our forecasts for months on end”.

it seems like this says "we suck so bad at predicting this that we're just not going to try anymore. also, covid is over"

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

WampaLord posted:

*zz top voice*

laughed out loud and startled my cats off the bed haha

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
*chuckles* We’re in danger!

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Platystemon posted:

lmao

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Platystemon posted:

lol

Temiko
Aug 9, 2004

Trixie Hardcore posted:

globalepidemics shows Missouri in Green
CDC shows Missouri in mostly Orange
Walgreens shows Missouri in Red

So how is Missouri doing?

e: wastewater shows Missouri is mostly orange or null

Globalepidemics shows MO in yellow for me. Weird.
Walgreens appears to show positivity rate rather than daily cases, but that's good info too.

Overall I'd say: not great, not terrible. Keep that Biden open!

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.

ButcherWombat posted:

Test-and-treat
Covid feet
Lost my sense of taste, can't eat

half get long covid
what happened, America?
half got long covid

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
lol Wen blocked me. I'm 3/3 so far. Next up is getting Nate Silver mad at me.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Platystemon posted:

[COVID] we have purposely trained the virus correctly, as a joke.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

GXL posted:

A guy at Costco took a break from shoving a food sample into his mouth to tell me that I “look like [I’m] going to Europe”(??). I cranked the chest speaker to max and shouted back “WHY DONT YOU MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS,” and let me tell you that the unexpected sound of angry yelling through something like a megaphone will shut a person up.

livin the dream

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Platystemon posted:

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

GXL posted:

gently caress this would own even more if the speaker had like a slight robot masking to it

BoothBaberGinsburg
Jan 4, 2021

WampaLord posted:

*zz top voice*

lmao amazing

Shiroc posted:

lol Wen blocked me. I'm 3/3 so far. Next up is getting Nate Silver mad at me.

:sickos:

Stoop Kid
Jan 17, 2007

Afraid to leave his stoop.

Platystemon posted:

Lilium Dimension
Feb 12, 2022

Zerg Mans posted:

I have noticed a strong trend of Dave Weigel sucking lately between his covid and his trans takes

I realize this was pages ago but can someone tell me more about terrible Dave Weigel trans takes?

Goreld
May 8, 2002

"Identity Crisis" MurdererWild Guess Bizarro #1Bizarro"Me am first one I suspect!"

Nocturtle posted:

It’s going to turn out people who pick their nose and eat it immediately stamp out the virus before it can take hold. Or some other bodily function, like how some people were cured of IBS via poop transfusions.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

What do people think of this study

https://journals.asm.org/doi/10.1128/mSphere.00637-20

quote:

Importantly, medical masks (surgical masks and even N95 masks) were not able to completely block the transmission of virus droplets/aerosols even when completely sealed.

Claims only 90% effectiveness at blocking covid particles for n95s. Are they just using huge concentrations of virus?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

icantfindaname posted:

What do people think of this study

https://journals.asm.org/doi/10.1128/mSphere.00637-20

Claims only 90% effectiveness at blocking covid particles for n95s. Are they just using huge concentrations of virus?

just wear an elastomeric ez

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
BA.2.12.1 is already outcompeting BA2 in the US and will probably overtake it in a couple weeks

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7088530893547244846