Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

It certainly seems to provide a better experience than the Valve anti cheat in cs:go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sab669 posted:

I'd assume the latter. I was bitching in the Steam thread about need to reboot my whole rear end computer after installing this game and they were all like, "Say what you will about Riot but their anti-cheat is one of the most effective in the business" :shrug:

now to be absolutely clear: there are cheats for the game, and Riot still goes for the ban-in-waves tactic but it's still a very good anti-cheat.

There's been numerous times where I've gone "that fucker is cheating" and then after the initial pissed-off feeling about it realized I was just holding a stupid angle lol

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Played a game where a dude was hitting blind headshots through corners on Haven with a marshal over and over again a few days ago, had 50 kills and the angles were just impossible. You see poo poo like that in unranked fairly regularly, getting poo poo on by people who are firing through smoke and just playing better happens too but I suspect Riot doesn’t investigate reports of cheating in unranked. I’ve had games in ranked get cancelled halfway through after reporting people for similar ages ago and haven’t seen anything like it in months

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Sab669 posted:

Frankly I've never cared about my official ranked score in games. I've been playing Unranked DOTA for the entirety of my "career" with the game. It's calibrated enough to know where to place me, I don't need to see some number on my screen.

Played a bit last night and after a few games they were starting to feel a bit more evenly matched.

First few games I played in after coming back, unranked since i hadn't played more than a couple after the beta, I was against dudes who were like lasers pointed directly at my head, it was complete absurd

After probably like 5 games getting unbelievably, incredibly stomped over and over again the game started to get way more even. I actually even got MVP a few times which felt p good

Seems like the matchmaking in the first few games is just real wonky since it doesn't know where to place you

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea, that is pretty much unavoidable. But I feel like I'm probably a bit under average as I didn't play CS before coming here, and haven't played a multiplayer FPS in ages

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Elvis_Maximus posted:

Seems like the matchmaking in the first few games is just real wonky since it doesn't know where to place you

They treat everybody as a smurf at the start and if you do really well you get put up against the smurf queue and if you don't, it then tries to go ahead and place you properly.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

i am a moron posted:

Played a game where a dude was hitting blind headshots through corners on Haven with a marshal over and over again a few days ago, had 50 kills and the angles were just impossible. You see poo poo like that in unranked fairly regularly, getting poo poo on by people who are firing through smoke and just playing better happens too but I suspect Riot doesn’t investigate reports of cheating in unranked. I’ve had games in ranked get cancelled halfway through after reporting people for similar ages ago and haven’t seen anything like it in months

"Firing through smoke" is like a legitimately tactic especially if you know how the angles are. You literally see it all the time in pro-play and higher elo. I don't know what to tell you about that though.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Asema posted:

"Firing through smoke" is like a legitimately tactic especially if you know how the angles are. You literally see it all the time in pro-play and higher elo. I don't know what to tell you about that though.

Not with single shot weapons though?

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Asema posted:

They treat everybody as a smurf at the start and if you do really well you get put up against the smurf queue and if you don't, it then tries to go ahead and place you properly.

Oh, well that would definitely explain it because holy crap was I getting stomped :v:

I guess they must just have a real bad smurfing problem or something? Because there's probably a decent chunk of players that get demotivated by that at first

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Elvis_Maximus posted:

Oh, well that would definitely explain it because holy crap was I getting stomped :v:

I guess they must just have a real bad smurfing problem or something? Because there's probably a decent chunk of players that get demotivated by that at first

All f2p games have severe smurfing issues. Even buy to play games that are inexpensive have huge issues with it, Overwatch for example has probably only sold to new smurfs the last few years…

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
The likelihood of a sewer ranked goon correctly identifying a cheater after 5 games or whatever is vanishingly slim. you’re going to suck dog poo poo for a long time. Just imo.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

hobbesmaster posted:

Not with single shot weapons though?

nah if you know where the heads the angle hold through a smoke isn't going to stop you. At least once a round I'll do some shot hoping to catch somebody and more often than not there's some damage there. Sometimes even kills with the Sheriff/Guardian. It's why the Phantom was so popular for a hot minute because you couldn't tell where the rounds were and could just safely spam through it. You do it with a Vandal though and you get popped right back 9/10 times.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

Asema posted:

Yea I didn’t say that was cheating? I probably worded it wrong, you absolutely get dumpstered by better players in unranked. Some dude blind headshotting you through the box corner on C in Haven with a marshal and constantly through the walls on B with nary a miss is pretty obvious

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
back in cs pre 1.6 you'd spot a cheater when they bought a para and started rapidly 360ing headshots through the dust tunnel walls like an autoturret from aliens. people these days are so spoiled

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Smythe posted:

back in cs pre 1.6 you'd spot a cheater when they bought a para and started rapidly 360ing headshots through the dust tunnel walls like an autoturret from aliens. people these days are so spoiled

Then you turned them into a chicken instead of kicking them for fun.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Server I played on didn’t even have amx or wuatwver. Straight rcon. That’s class.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Meta mod iirc? Anyways :rip: dedicated servers

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

Meta mod iirc? Anyways :rip: dedicated servers

rip

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
dedicated servers will come back right :(

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Community servers are like 50% of making a game that people will still be playing in 10 years and they also solve like 90% of the community management/anticheat stuff that companies hate to put sufficient resources into. So you'd think they'd be a no-brainer.

But no, it's way more important to be able to force your community into playing your latest newest game in 18 months. Clearly this logic is unassailable, just look at how well battlefield has done since they removed community servers.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

It’s more that you can’t as reliably sell $60 skin packs if you have independent servers that may or may not phone home to let players use them. Or worse - let everyone use them!

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea, it's a crackdown on mods to sell skins & DLC.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
https://playvalorant.com/en-us/news/game-updates/valorant-jett-changes-for-patch-4-08/

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
2022's Masters has seen Valorant continue to do a healthy grow in the e-sport scene. Numbers are routinely 200k+ higher than they were last year at this time.

Top 4 all came from a different region and it's been really good matches all the way through.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Why does everyone I spectate have a really tiny crosshair, or even only a dot but then my crosshairs are all huge?

I see there's Advanced Crosshair Settings but that just seems to let me change the color, length, thickness of the crosshairs, I can't actually bring them closer

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Sab669 posted:

Why does everyone I spectate have a really tiny crosshair, or even only a dot but then my crosshairs are all huge?

I see there's Advanced Crosshair Settings but that just seems to let me change the color, length, thickness of the crosshairs, I can't actually bring them closer

Inner lines: movement error - off, firing error - off, inner line offset - to taste.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Ahh, thanks. I skimmed through the various crosshair videos linked earlier but they were all just like about keeping it head level, not the actual settings lol

Gunder
May 22, 2003

CSGO players love to use crazy crosshairs as well. I’ve never been convinced that changing it will actually lead to any sort of improvement.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Sab669 posted:

Did they ever fix the crosshairs across different resolutions thing? Ie, if you are playing at 1080p and spectate someone that’s running 4k then the same number of crosshair pixels will be rendered for you and the crosshair will be enormous. Likewise, if you’re at 4k and spectate someone at lower resolutions it’ll look like they’re using a dot.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

:shrug: I'm on 1440p and everyones' looks pretty normal / consistent to me

demostars
Apr 8, 2020
USA USA USA

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
Congratulations to Optic for winning VCT Masters!

demostars
Apr 8, 2020
fade seems insane lol

i mean every agent feels insane when announced but she feels extra

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

uuuuuuuugh I've noticed I've consistently had like 100 ping every game. Turns out I've been on EU servers because when my account got compromised they changed my region. Easy enough to swap it to US, but they dumpster all your progress in the process.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor

demostars posted:

fade seems insane lol

i mean every agent feels insane when announced but she feels extra

The issue Fade has is that she’s competing against Sova, whose arrow line-ups provide scans and area denial that Fade won’t be able to match. Sova is getting smacked with the nerf bat in the play test that streamers used to showcase Fade, however. Maybe it will be enough for her to fill a similar, but different niche than Sova.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sab669 posted:

uuuuuuuugh I've noticed I've consistently had like 100 ping every game. Turns out I've been on EU servers because when my account got compromised they changed my region. Easy enough to swap it to US, but they dumpster all your progress in the process.

some people would think this would be a good thing ;) better starting position!

(joking of course)

Fade is going to loving own. Also Sova is getting heavily nerfed according to AverageJonas: Shock Dart Damage is nerfed across the board. Drone has been nerfed in how many pings the dart will give out (2 instead of 3) and they completely changed the animation for equipping the bow so lineups that relied on the HUD are now broken. That last one is a "is this a bug?" currently but Jonas said that it's not.

Heres a video on how it looks; https://twitter.com/LotharHS/status/1518341302827597826

Sab669 posted:

Your crosshair is going to be your personal preference. Find something that works for you. I flip back and forth between 3 depending on how I'm feeling lmao. An instagram crosshair, a simple +, and then a pulsating one that I like a lot.

Asema fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Apr 25, 2022

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Why not: Post your crosshairs

Instagram: ( 0;P;c;5;h;0;d;1;z;1;f;0;0t;4;0l;1;0o;2;0a;1;0f;0;1t;10;1l;1;1o;5;1a;1;1m;0;1f;0 )

Simple +: ( 0;s;1;P;c;5;o;1;0t;1;0l;4;0o;2;0a;1;0f;0;1b;0 )

Pulsating: ( 0;P;c;5;h;0;0t;4;0l;1;0o;1;0a;1;0m;1;0s;0.04;0e;0.08;1o;2;1a;1;1m;0;1f;0 )

Right now I'm loving the pulsating, it's very very small and does have firing/moving on but even that is still an overall small package and I've been enjoying it haha.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

Everyone thinks every agent is going to be unstoppable, the only one that really came true is KillJoy

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
https://playvalorant.com/en-us/news/game-updates/valorant-patch-notes-4-08/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Riot Games posted:

FADE GOES LIVE

See her abilities on our Agents page.

The link 404's :golfclap:

edit; what the gently caress is this game's website. If I manually go look at the Agents page, why do I have to click and drag to scroll through the list of characters? What obscenely bad design

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Apr 27, 2022