Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

rotor posted:

realtalk i ran a file over mine to give it just a slight radius, worked great except it cuts through the anodizing and over about 6 years its gotten a lil crusty

you should have stuck some clear grip tape over it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lol

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

infernal machines posted:

apparently not one of the models affected by the battery recall

the screen wouldn't close because the upper assembly was so distended from the swelling

the virtue of a very stiff chassis in a world of (more so at the time) plastic competitors keeping that hydrogen or whatever bloat held back

which speaks to the puffiness when it bends that unibody

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

i hate that apple normalized hidden batteries, it would have been so easy to split the bottom plate in half and have the front part be a battery compartment with clips that let go if the battery swells too much

the way they are designed now the first sign of problems is that the touchpad button gets stuck, then the touchpad glass cracks and eventually the force of the battery will rip the screws straight through the aluminum bottom plate

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
my 2015 swelled and the bottom of the case bowed, not anything you're describing

$200 to repair but they did replace the entire case in addition to the battery so v0v

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

r u ready to WALK posted:

i hate that apple normalized hidden batteries, it would have been so easy to split the bottom plate in half and have the front part be a battery compartment with clips that let go if the battery swells too much
this is in fact how the early MBPs handled it

Stringent posted:

my 2015 swelled and the bottom of the case bowed, not anything you're describing

$200 to repair but they did replace the entire case in addition to the battery so v0v
there was a battery recall on the 2015s, yours didnt qualify?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

this is in fact how the early MBPs handled it

was there??? 🤔

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

my old work one didn't and the lid barely closed and it had a slight bottom distortion when i handed it to IT :(

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

echinopsis posted:

was there??? 🤔
https://support.apple.com/15-inch-macbook-pro-battery-recall

nurrwick
Jul 5, 2007

it seems telling that a machine most people regard as the pinnacle of laptops was still subject to a battery recall

that said, what its probably telling is that all computer are bad computer

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

a battery recall and a screen recall. when my 15" got swole they replaced both for me, and the chassis. practically a brand new laptop

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
https://twitter.com/lazerwalker/status/1517849201148932096

https://twitter.com/protopop/status/1517701619374338050

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

update the version number and republish it. who cares

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
this was posted in the yoscord:

quote:

i was going to say "just bump up version number, rebuild, and resubmit" but apps compiled on XCode < 13.5 are about to all be rejected and that version doesn't support swift < 5 and lol probably that game is written in swift 1 or 2

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
so upgrade your poo poo. apple obliterates backwards compat on a regular basis. it sucks for users and developers, but you knew that going into it

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
he explains later in the thread that the game was built in an old version of unity, which also constantly breaks compatibility across major updates

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

haveblue posted:

he explains later in the thread that the game was built in an old version of unity, which also constantly breaks compatibility across major updates

https://twitter.com/protopop/status/1517747818361987072?s=21&t=y9Cd-B5aqEvQoumkS8GMJg

Three years ago also means no privacy stuff so it's also a trick to force the new cookie model on abandonware apps

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

tim cook gets it: video games aren't art

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

why not just release the code and then anybody who wants to see it can build it themselves?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Achmed Jones posted:

why not just release the code and then anybody who wants to see it can build it themselves?

not everyone wants to spend weeks getting mac dev tools to work

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

nobody actually wants to play the games, either though. the people who do are the same people who enjoy getting monkey island running on an ancient 486 or whatever

just put it out there. then archival desires are satisfied and apple gets to have an app store that's not super clogged with stuff that doesn't work on any phones still in support

if they're removing apps that WILL run on still-supported phones then i'm gonna agree it's too aggressive deprecation, but overall deprecation is reasonable imo

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
the game will keep working for people who have it, it’s just that the store won’t sell it

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

https://finbold.com/bitcoin-core-releases-update-to-potentially-natively-support-apple-silicon-m1-family-chips/

Not that this will result in M1 Ultras taking longer to order, or for nVidia card availability to increase..

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Achmed Jones posted:

if they're removing apps that WILL run on still-supported phones then i'm gonna agree it's too aggressive deprecation, but overall deprecation is reasonable imo

they are doing that. they already yeeted the 32-bit-only apps and all the stuff currently on the stores runs on brand new phones running the latest os.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

ah that's kinda lame then

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
lmao. i have a 2017 mbp that just completely poo poo itself with monterey that can't be recovered using the recovery environment because somehow the apple installer certificates have expired.

gg apple, you loving hacks.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
clown rear end motherfuckers

why even have a recovery environment if you just let the certificates expire for the older os packages, and the RE will only check for the os that shipped with the device?

Aino Minako
Dec 16, 2007

Perpetual rage elemental

lmao. i have a 2017 mbp that just completely poo poo itself with monterey that can't be recovered using the recovery environment because somehow the apple installer certificates have expired.

gg apple, you loving hacks.

bro just run your own dns host with a record for time.apple.com that points to your own ntp host that returns a time before the cert expired bing bang boom so simple

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

you can set the system clock from the terminal in the RE. doing so results in a "untrusted_cert_title" error

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

so, instead, the solution is to go find another mac, spend 4 hours downloading the os installer from apple's cdn, which appears to be hosted on a residential dsl connection, using a link you have to google because there aren't any official ones from apple and app store won't let you just download the os installers any more, then look up the command to install the os installer itself to a usb key and spend another 30 minutes running that process, then boot the original mac off the USB key and hope it installs

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

it just works

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

clown rear end motherfuckers

why even have a recovery environment if you just let the certificates expire for the older os packages, and the RE will only check for the os that shipped with the device?

command-option-R is network recovery but the latest version your hardware supports, not the original one :shobon:

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

Raluek posted:

command-option-R is network recovery but the latest version your hardware supports, not the original one :shobon:

that does not seem to be the case in my experience, or maybe the environment boots up into the software that came with the machine but the os image downloaded would be newer?

i have a old 2011 mbp laying around and recently wanted to reinstall the os after swapping out the disk, the internet recovery environment was 10.7, i didnt try to actually install from that after realizeing i had flash drive with the 10.13 installer handy

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Raluek posted:

i'll have to try that. command-r will boot the recovery environment installed by the OS, which will be the same as the installed OS, but if you wipe the drive it does netboot and will always try to pull the version that shipped with the device, which no longer works for a lot of devices.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Lysidas posted:

that does not seem to be the case in my experience, or maybe the environment boots up into the software that came with the machine but the os image downloaded would be newer?

i have a old 2011 mbp laying around and recently wanted to reinstall the os after swapping out the disk, the internet recovery environment was 10.7, i didnt try to actually install from that after realizeing i had flash drive with the 10.13 installer handy

i recently reinstalled my 2012 rmbp. i had a blank drive, so it defaulted to trying from internet recovery. it booted into lion. i think command-R does that by default. if you specifically do command-option-R it gets the newest one, which in my case was catalina. maybe i just got lucky? but that's what apple's docs say should happen too

e:

i'll have to try that. command-r will boot the recovery environment installed by the OS, which will be the same as the installed OS, but if you wipe the drive it does netboot and will always try to pull the version that shipped with the device, which no longer works for a lot of devices.

yes this is true. you gotta specify. but it does work fine if you do, at least it recently did for me

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Stringent posted:

same

it bowed hard tho and after removing the bottom to check out the lithium pillow I had a hard time putting the screws back in, they kept shooting out

serial number also not subject to the battery recall lol

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204904

Apple posted:

On an Intel-based Mac, you can use Shift-Option-Command-R during startup to be offered the macOS that came with your Mac, or the closest version still available. Or you can use Option-Command-R during startup to be offered either the latest macOS that is compatible with your Mac, or in some cases the macOS that came with your Mac or the closest version still available.

the apple support doc doesn't explain it, but the "or in some cases" clause is here because the original implementation of internet recovery only had cmd-opt-R and it could only install the macOS that came with your mac, while later revisions of apple's UEFI firmware and the EFI application responsible for internet recovery changed cmd-opt-R to install the latest OS and added cmd-opt-shift-R to get back to the original OS

older machines which shipped with the bad option (who wants the OS that shipped with the computer lmao) weren't left out in the cold, apple periodically built new firmware images for old hardware and shipped/installed them as part of macOS updates. so if the computer has ever had a sufficiently modern macOS installed on it, it will have the good poo poo

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

with all the issues posted on this page it’s amazing anyone would ever buy a mac

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
macs are the worst form of computer, apart from all the others

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Ruffian Price posted:

same

it bowed hard tho and after removing the bottom to check out the lithium pillow I had a hard time putting the screws back in, they kept shooting out

serial number also not subject to the battery recall lol

yeah i just paid them the $200 to replace the battery. to their credit they also replaced the whole lower case as well for no extra charge.