Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

I'd love to get the comparison of things like cognitive impairment that comes from the type of food you eat.

I'm saying this because while covid absolutely sucks and long covid is terrifying, we're also hella bad as a society at knowing the impact of viruses or other conditions on populations. The Epstein-Barr Virus is an example of something that was there for decades before people went like "oh gently caress this is ruining a lot of stuff."

Also re: the charts above, when you see obesity as a condition there with low correlation, it does mean that there shouldn't be a causal link: being vaccinated and having covid bears no impact on your obesity. This is useful as a comparison point because if cognitive impairment is measured in people with covid, it also says that vaccination has no impact. The chart itself does not imply whether covid causes or is caused by any of these, but whether vaccination has an impact on what is observed.

The paper's legend states "HR lower than 1 indicate outcomes less common among vaccinated individuals." -- So if you see anxiety/depression as higher in vaccinated individuals, it neither tells you whether it is the vaccine causing it or whether people who are vaccinated getting depressed (maybe because they believe this oh-gently caress pandemic is real), it's just a rate of which frequency they happen in.

So if you end up establishing a causal link where covid causes depression, then the chart tells you that vaccination is unlikely to have a visible effect on it. If you don't establish that causal link, the proportions still remain, but you need to find a different explanation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
yeah something i've started idly wondering about in the past year or two is how many viruses never get fully cleared from the body, but linger on in some way or another

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

If it’s okay with everyone I will continue to avoid getting the insanely contagious airborne novel respiratory virus you can get multiple times a year that no one can say for sure whether it’ll gently caress you up a few years down the road.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
it's not okay with everyone, tori. you're killing jobs. why do you hate america?

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
from my experience it really isn't okay with a ton of people

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

If it’s okay with everyone I will continue to avoid getting the insanely contagious airborne novel respiratory virus you can get multiple times a year that no one can say for sure whether it’ll gently caress you up a few years down the road.

same

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

im not ok with it but im powerless to stop you

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

yeah something i've started idly wondering about in the past year or two is how many viruses never get fully cleared from the body, but linger on in some way or another

most are probably cleared. a few notable ones aren’t. vzv causes chicken pox the first time and can come back and cause shingles later. epstein barr causes mono but then later can cause multiple sclerosis (they’ve found the virus in the brain lesions).

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

from what i have seen it doesn't seem that long covid is due to the virus hanging around but just from it loving up organs and nerves from the swelling

but then shingles and ms take 20 years to show up so i guess ill check back in 2040 on all my coworkers who have gotten it and see if like their teeth have all turned into lesions or something

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

it took me about 25 years to get shingles actually

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

fart simpson posted:

that's wild, I'm constantly seeing ads for hot shingles in my area

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

i had a shingle break out on my thumb and it was debilitating i dont even want to imagine how bad it would be on my back or something

im sure ill find out in the next decade!

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

sorry you don’t have that choice we’re going to make you lick doorknobs and gently caress in an applebees at gunpoint

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

i had a shingle break out on my thumb and it was debilitating i dont even want to imagine how bad it would be on my back or something

get the shingles vaccine

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

ironically i was lucky that i got it on my face and it immediately hit my right eye. because it made me to go the doctor asap and i got on antivirals immediately and it cleared up in just a couple days

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

echinopsis posted:

get the shingles vaccine

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Cloks posted:

that's wild, I'm constantly seeing ads for hot shingles in my area

truth in tesla solar roof advertising

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

from what i have seen it doesn't seem that long covid is due to the virus hanging around but just from it loving up organs and nerves from the swelling

but then shingles and ms take 20 years to show up so i guess ill check back in 2040 on all my coworkers who have gotten it and see if like their teeth have all turned into lesions or something

it’s both

they’ve found evidence of viral material in unexpected parts of the body long after you stop being contagious etc

i expect a non trivial amount of long covid is generally recovering from a severe infection and/or pneumonia

then you have people with latent damage, etc like clots or other organ damage that formed in the acute phase that become evident later on

then there are people who are still just loving sick from covid infection months out

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

yeah, i very much suspect that most if not all long-term covid effects are stuff we've just never properly paid attention to before. does not lessen the problem, covid is aggressive and many people get very sick, but I still suspect anyone getting knocked down badly by any viral infection in the past had a lot of these associated risks.

Apr 7, 2003

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

yeah, i very much suspect that most if not all long-term covid effects are stuff we've just never properly paid attention to before. does not lessen the problem, covid is aggressive and many people get very sick, but I still suspect anyone getting knocked down badly by any viral infection in the past had a lot of these associated risks.

26% of all American adults are disabled in one way or another per the CDC (mostly mobility-related), and over half of American adults have Covid comorbidities as defined by the CDC (mostly obesity, diabetes, and previous Covid infection).

Dismissing death and disability with “they had associated risks” when over half your adult population has “associated risks” is not a winning strategy for beating a pandemic, unless you’re deliberately dabbling in eugenics.

Apr 7, 2003

mediaphage posted:

then you have people with latent damage, etc like clots or other organ damage that formed in the acute phase that become evident later on

I personally read records on a case at work where a patient’s first warning that they had Covid was their foot going necrotic and falling off.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

I personally read records on a case at work where a patient’s first warning that they had Covid was their foot going necrotic and falling off.

yeah i’m not sure what that has to do with what i said. i think it’s worthwhile to distinguish between damage caused by an initial versus ongoing infection, that’s all.

Apr 7, 2003

mediaphage posted:

yeah i’m not sure what that has to do with what i said. i think it’s worthwhile to distinguish between damage caused by an initial versus ongoing infection, that’s all.

It’s called an “anecdote” in a “discussion.”

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

26% of all American adults are disabled in one way or another per the CDC (mostly mobility-related), and over half of American adults have Covid comorbidities as defined by the CDC (mostly obesity, diabetes, and previous Covid infection).

Dismissing death and disability with “they had associated risks” when over half your adult population has “associated risks” is not a winning strategy for beating a pandemic, unless you’re deliberately dabbling in eugenics.

i am not dismissing anything, the point is more that getting put in the hospital for a viral infection likely is a lot more long-term serious than we have previously thought.

Apr 7, 2003

i am not dismissing anything, the point is more that getting put in the hospital for a viral infection likely is a lot more long-term serious than we have previously thought.

It isn’t just being put in the hospital, there is documentation where people had mild cases of covid-19 and later developed cognitive difficulties or other sequelae.

https://www.ama-assn.org/delivering-care/public-health/what-doctors-wish-patients-knew-about-long-covid

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

It’s called an “anecdote” in a “discussion.”

it’s hard to tell with you sometimes

Apr 7, 2003

A lot of people come off long term ecmo completely hosed up and that’s not surprising because we’ve known for a while that bypass is really bad for your brain. The mild non-hospitalized cases of impairment ain’t good though

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
pfc may make tedious posts but at least there's a lot of them

Apr 7, 2003

Never stop posting

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

It isn’t just being put in the hospital, there is documentation where people had mild cases of covid-19 and later developed cognitive difficulties or other sequelae.

https://www.ama-assn.org/delivering-care/public-health/what-doctors-wish-patients-knew-about-long-covid

i don't doubt there are a lot of hosed up serious long term effects to even "had a slight cough" cases of covid

what i finding increasingly difficult is keeping up the masking and other measures when the majority of people around me do not.

for example, i don't think we should be doing a return to the office, but on the other hand i don't have it in me to single handedly go guns blazing "im not coming in" when i see that the rest of my team (who i like and respect) does not make it into a big deal. similarly, i don't want to look like the lone crazy "covid is not over, the government is gaslighting us with the relaxation of the rules" in any social setting where i am uhh kind of hoping to meet friends and all

it's also hard to be a doomsayer when doom does not seem to come (at least here in paris, france). there was a feeling couple of weeks ago that we are going into another wave following the relaxation of the rules but instead all the numbers are going down

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I'd put money on most Long Covid symptoms being long-term symptoms that can be caused by infections of a fair amount of viruses- we just never had data, or never did enough studies to catch it. This isn't really minimizing COVID though- it's just that maybe, possibly this sort of thing should've been paid more attention to before we had a Spanish Flu type pandemic again.

I'm interested to see what treatments work. Not totally clearing the virus does seem to be on the table for the cause, anecdotally- because two of the things that seem to be showing initial results for long covid patients are funny enough post-infection vaccination, and antivirals like paxlovid.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
getting covid is a moral failing

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Stereotype posted:

getting covid is a moral failing

yep

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Cloks posted:

pfc may make tedious posts but at least there's a lot of them

lol

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

fart simpson posted:

i got an outbreak after only like 15 years! shingles speedrun woo!

p sure it left me with some sort of permanent nerve damage to boot. the outbreak area has pins and needles and inexplicable pain on occasion.

echinopsis posted:

get the shingles vaccine

at least in the US iirc it's only covered under most insurance if you're over 50 :negative:

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

i got very mild shingles a few years ago and i have no idea if that means i can still get it or not. i assume recurrence is possible since it's a herpesvirus?

on long COVID: it kinda scares me because I got EBV/mono in college and had post-viral fatigue for like six months. it was a miserable time, and i've had lingering stuff like visual snow ever since. i think post-viral issues are more common than people realize, and our expectations on when someone is fully recovered from an infection is too short and doesn't allow for enough deep rest.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Gnossiennes posted:

i got very mild shingles a few years ago and i have no idea if that means i can still get it or not. i assume recurrence is possible since it's a herpesvirus?

on long COVID: it kinda scares me because I got EBV/mono in college and had post-viral fatigue for like six months. it was a miserable time, and i've had lingering stuff like visual snow ever since. i think post-viral issues are more common than people realize, and our expectations on when someone is fully recovered from an infection is too short and doesn't allow for enough deep rest.

nope. shingles is the virus permanently leaving your body out through your skin

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

partner got exposed at work and just popped hot. it was nice knowing you all