Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Critical posted:

Welp just got told there are to be no checks cut this week due to "internal balance movements" and we have a "town hall" teams meeting with the president on Thursday. I estimate a 30% chance I get shitcanned via a teams call and 50% I get it on Friday.
The worst part of remote working is it's so much harder to steal office supplies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

naem
May 29, 2011

Scientastic posted:

iterative user experience.

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

Another year, another regulatory and compliance course completed. I’ve got it down to 15 minutes from two hours now!

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

boar guy posted:

grah! six sigma! employee book club! agile! GGOB! data audit! the green m and m! ebidta! ADP! onsite gym! bob seger's thoughts on stage! are we a company yet? grah!

What no synergy?

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Alright, before we continue this Agile posting, I'm going to need everyone to head on over to https://www.planitpoker.com/ and sign up so we can plan these sprints more easily.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
My company's cloud service went 'Agile', so instead of releasing patches and updates when they were ready, they put out a new version every month. We've since broken our customers' service multiple times and had to scramble with next day patches and rollbacks. To me Agile just means quantity over quality and that's a big :nyd: from me.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

agile's a wonderful system for showing how much everyone's doing, as long you never need to 'make concrete progress' on projects or 'finish things'

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

boar guy posted:

agile's a wonderful system for showing how much everyone's doing, as long you never need to 'make concrete progress' on projects or 'finish things'

The only finishing I do is going home at the end of the day.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
One must imagine the Agile team happy.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

boar guy posted:

agile makes literally no sense outside of software development and people shouldn't try to apply it as such

Invalid Validation posted:

Agile just sounds like a buzzword managers use to make themselves sound important to a company run by boomers.

boar guy posted:

old bean factory posted:

You think you're exaggerating but :negative:

My company would give this man hundreds of thousands for years and never catch on. His handheld crappy slides are legit better than the ones our agile coaches use.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
We get to have a big department meeting to address our communication problem. There is no communication problem, but we can't say that to the boss or he'll get mad he spent weeks of emotional energy on a non-existent problem. So we have to pretend to have this problem and then pretend we are solving it. This is a waste of time, but at least it makes me laugh.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Animal-Mother posted:

We get to have a big department meeting to address our communication problem. There is no communication problem, but we can't say that to the boss or he'll get mad he spent weeks of emotional energy on a non-existent problem. So we have to pretend to have this problem and then pretend we are solving it. This is a waste of time, but at least it makes me laugh.
Sounds like a communication problem.

Sarah Problem
Sep 24, 2002

Because, if you confess with your mouth that Witten is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved

Animal-Mother posted:

Reminds me of when one of our business unit people tried to start an adhoc year end “health report” on critical processes and started to pull in all these resources from across the company. A month of meetings go by before I get pulled in and immediately poo poo on the idea because we already have a team that does this exact type of work, analysis, and reporting and they have done it for years. I’ve never seen that business units director before but he turned like beet red and stormed out of the meeting. That dude tried to do more meetings about it for about a week before the VP finally forced him to give it up and just use the service health teams reports that already go to executive leadership. Just a colossal waste of time and energy. Why on earth no one told him about this before I got to the meeting is just sad.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Escape From Noise posted:

Looks like it's time for another Agile Fight! Full disclosure: I basically have no idea what it is.
All you really need to know is that there isn't a manual or guide to using Agile, but a loving manifesto. Anyone who writes a document in this day and age and calls it a manifesto is either the Unabomber or so far up their own rear end that even if they have a good idea it's going to be buried in insufferable prose and buzz words. Which lovely managers will then shout at their employees, regardless of applicability to whatever they're trying to accomplish.

hth

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I hate agile/itil so, so much. We actually have good results with it at our company and deliver a shitload of stuff to the business every PI but I’m in infrastructure, I don’t give a gently caress about your story.

devmd01 fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Apr 26, 2022

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Unfortunately, no one can be told what Agile is. You have to see it for yourself.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

SubponticatePoster posted:

All you really need to know is that there isn't a manual or guide to using Agile, but a loving manifesto. Anyone who writes a document in this day and age and calls it a manifesto is either the Unabomber or so far up their own rear end that even if they have a good idea it's going to be buried in insufferable prose and buzz words. Which lovely managers will then shout at their employees, regardless of applicability to whatever they're trying to accomplish.

hth

20 years ago is this day and age?

Dongsturm
Feb 17, 2012

Splicer posted:

Unfortunately, no one can be told what Agile is. You have to see it for yourself.

I'm shackled in a dark room. People move shadows back and forth on the wall, cast by hidden lamps behind me while some guy tells me how amazing the real thing will be when I finally see it for myself.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Agile is when a dog runs around on a course and goes through tunnels and up ladders and over jumps and stuff.

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Splicer posted:

The worst part of remote working is it's so much harder to steal office supplies.

I had to buy printer paper and file folders for the first time in years.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCi8C7TNs2ohrc6hnRQ5Sn2w/videos

Dude's got videos for all flavors of computer touchers.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

kdrudy posted:

20 years ago is this day and age?
Still younger than Something Awful

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

SubponticatePoster posted:

Still younger than Something Awful
I joined this dead website when I was working part time in a deli and doing overnights lifting heavy poo poo. Now I'm in charge of poo poo and I touch phones in my underpants for 5x more money.

Work is fuckin dumb :lol:

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Agile coaching is the highest margin engineering role from a salary vs how much work you actually have to do and be accountable for perspective. Except executive suite of course

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

All I know about Agile us what I've read here and in my "Computers in Business" CIS221 textbook, and even with the positive spin the textbook tried to give it, it sounded just godawful.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

old bean factory posted:

drat.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Animal-Mother posted:

Come in with a bucket of hard boiled eggs and eat them as fast as possible.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

Scientastic posted:

EBITDA has the distinct disadvantage of actually meaning something, even if most people who use it have no idea what it stands for or what half the words in the acronym actually mean.

That has made no difference to any of the many pieces of science-type terminology that have been kidnapped and abused by business over the years, and it will make no difference here.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

goatsestretchgoals posted:

Come in with a bucket of hard boiled eggs and eat them as fast as possible.

Smash them into your mouth.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Agile is what you need to be to escape the rollout into your business

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Shoutout to all the poor fuckers currently working for Netflix who are currently speedrunning "stupid poo poo your works does" right into the loving ground.

Next week there will be a bunch of C-suits standing around a smouldering crater wondering why their obviously brilliant ideas didn't work*.

Sorry for the memey image, but this puts everything they're doing all together in one place:

* then they'll shrug, take their golden parachutes and move straight into another company owned by some guy they went to school with or play golf with and make millions of dollars a year and never look back.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Does Agile involve last minute changes to the production schedule? Because it sort of sounds like a former boss was trying to apply Agile to brewing. He'd have me rush production on beers with ingredients I wasn't sure of claiming we'd change it next time we made it if things needed improving. Of course whenever I tried to correct issues or stop using bad ingredients I was told it couldn't change because "the customers love it!". They just released a "beer" with carrots, apple, banana, and ice cream.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The ads on netflix is weird to me because assuming they make around $10 per average user I cannot fathom they'll get the advertising interest to offset that

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Escape From Noise posted:

Does Agile involve last minute changes to the production schedule? Because it sort of sounds like a former boss was trying to apply Agile to brewing. He'd have me rush production on beers with ingredients I wasn't sure of claiming we'd change it next time we made it if things needed improving. Of course whenever I tried to correct issues or stop using bad ingredients I was told it couldn't change because "the customers love it!". They just released a "beer" with carrots, apple, banana, and ice cream.

is your boss picking ingredients based on what he finds in the grocery store dumpster

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

i just found out a former employer of mine unsuccessfully tried to buy loving NSO Group

just.....wow. glad i got out when i did and dragged my severance kicking and screaming through it

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

blatman posted:

is your boss picking ingredients based on what he finds in the grocery store dumpster

His whole thought process was "We need to add something interesting (i.e. off the wall) in order to sell!". That was every production meeting. "How about a stout?"

"What's the selling point?"

"Uh. It'll be getting colder soon and that's when people drink darker beers."

"No. It's too common. I got it! We'll make it taste like Boss Coffee! What if we put canned coffee in it?"

Slightly exaggerating, but it was stuff like this all the time. Actually canned coffee is too close to the original style. I don't know how many times I had to explain to him and "clients" that any fruit you add to the beer is going to taste different post fermentation. Dude was making me make a milkshake IPA with canned peaches because it was "based on" Osaka mix juice (kind of a smoothie thing) and that's what they used in the real thing. I mean, we're talking about a brewery that made a beer that was supposed to taste like okonomiyaki sauce. He kept talking about making a beer with okonomiyaki sauce when I worked there so I know that was 100% him.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

Just keep in mind that sometimes the general public really does want some really stupid things.

Not saying in this case necessarily, but dismissing a consumer product idea because "it's loving stupid" may mean missing opportunities.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

I'd say maybe try to get your boss to agree on a certain mixture of traditional vs "off the wall" stuff, Noise. As Atopian said, sometimes the really stupid stuff is what people want.

Try to set a schedule of "Okay, we have X amount of space for production. If you let me use Y for the stuff that will likely pay the bills, I'll use the remaining Z for your crazy ideas so we can see if we can find an absolutely disgusting tasting goldmine."

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle
I will admit to being the kind of disgusting philistine who's making your life harder because I'd at least try some of those beers, out of morbid curiosity if nothing else

Also, I'm pretty sure coffee stouts are a) a thing, so he wouldn't even be able to say it's unique, and b) more involved than dumping a can of cold brew boss coffee in the mixer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

I will admit to being the kind of disgusting philistine who's making your life harder because I'd at least try some of those beers, out of morbid curiosity if nothing else

Also, I'm pretty sure coffee stouts are a) a thing, so he wouldn't even be able to say it's unique, and b) more involved than dumping a can of cold brew boss coffee in the mixer

When going to parties, alongside actually good drinks I'll also typically pick up a bottle or two of the beer with the most adjectives in its name to foist on some poor fool, so there's a chance I'd grab a couple of your yoghurt-fruit-salad-milkshake-double-stout-triple-IPA-choca-loka-yaya-ma-ma beers.