Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
pretty bummed about covid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
what just in general

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Stereotype posted:

i do not think i can bottle the feeling of "the last two weeks on a job" but if i could, i'd share it with you

it's kinda fun to watch people panic and figure out how to cover all of my responsibilities

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
plz turn up to work with no pants because they wanna send you home and get some pants on but they desperately need you so you’re standing in your undies and it’s the best case scenario

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

echinopsis posted:

plz turn up to work with no pants because they wanna send you home and get some pants on but they desperately need you so you’re standing in your undies and it’s the best case scenario

this isn’t the appropriate thread for kink, echi

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Stereotype posted:

im not a big fan of it

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

maybe some people are into catching coronavirus, but it's just not for me

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

i'm into conservatives catching coronavirus

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
gonna have to go into the office tomorrow to print something

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Shaggar posted:

gonna have to go into the office tomorrow

drat that's rough, what do-

Shaggar posted:

to print something

gently caress

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
printing things is cool and good to do imo

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
printing should be illegal under penalty of death

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

stuff printed on nice cotton rag paper feels super nice. I dont print much stuff so i load the laser printer up with the good stuff.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Shaggar posted:

printing should be illegal under penalty of death

oh shagger!

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
im going to throw the printer i have at home in the garbage because it is extremely bad like all printers are

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I have not owned a printer for four years and my life is better off this way

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
this is the first time ive had to print something in years and the printer loving failed. they're trash devices designed by idiots

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Kazinsal posted:

I have not owned a printer for four years and my life is better off this way

paper: good

screen: bad

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Shaggar posted:

this is the first time ive had to print something in years and the printer loving failed.

this is in fact the home inkjet business model

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
brother HL2280 or whatever. i got mine for $15 at the thrift and it still had half a cart of toner in it. i love it so

also, after three years of owning five vehicles, ive printed at least thirty insurance cards that i woulda paid a buck apiece for at the ups store, so im ahead

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i have a printer and i tell my computer or phone to print stuff and it does

it isn't even a little painful to use

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

i hope printers stay common if only because most of my sketches are on printer paper and if there's no printers at work, where am i gonna steal those reams of paper from??

i have an ipad + procreate and a big ol wacom at work but nothing beats printer paper and pen

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
normalize transcribing documents by hand instead of printing them imho

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
The only thing I've used my printer for lately has been crossword puzzles.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Don't they have FedEx offices near where you live? They have public printers there you know.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i dont know bro i've spent the past 2 years and change hiding in a cave during this whole worldfucking lethal pandemic thing i dont know what shippers have retail locations where

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i will furthermore argue that you are pushing a large stone up a steep hill if you're trying to poo poo on a reliable, 6 page per minute 300dpi mono laser printer that doesnt even have any wifi, just a USB. its so useful

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
the glory days of printers was back when it kept printing forever and you changed the toner or drum once you were unhappy with the printing

as opposed to printers that remove your autonomy and decide that there isn’t enough toner and there is sweet gently caress all you can do about it. you might even need to create an account or buy a subscription to use your printer

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
zero arguments here

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
we had an old brother and you could view the drum life as it went from 100% to 0

it was at -300% when we finally retired it

you could shake the toner cartridge and get another ten pages out of it, and repeat this cycle many times before you really had to change it

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Stereotype posted:

normalize transcribing documents by hand instead of printing them imho

a fun rainy day thing i've always wanted to do is build a lil pen plotter printer so i can print everything as vector graphics with the cool zip vreep wreeer stepper motor sounds

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i mean cant you literally just glue a sharpie to the head of a makerbot or w/e seems like it'd map well

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Jonny 290 posted:

i mean cant you literally just glue a sharpie to the head of a makerbot or w/e seems like it'd map well

yeah you can buy one for ~250. The trick is you only need 2 axes and a lil thing to flip the pen up, you dont actually need a third axis for that.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

it makes rapid a lot faster. But mostly the issue is the limited build envelope - 8.5x11 is awfully large for most cheapo 3d printers

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

the card store in the mall had a plotter when i was a kid. you would pick out everything you wanted and it'd draw it for you and that poo poo was magical

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

get an AliExpress plotter

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

echinopsis posted:

the glory days of printers was back when it kept printing forever and you changed the toner or drum once you were unhappy with the printing

as opposed to printers that remove your autonomy and decide that there isn’t enough toner and there is sweet gently caress all you can do about it. you might even need to create an account or buy a subscription to use your printer

eh. the golden age of printing is right now when a brother multifunction color laser (well "laser", but led amounts to much the same) costs like $250 and works great.

paper less relevant these days, but if one wants a decent printer at home it sure is cheap and easy compared to the olden days.

e: $200 now apparently. says more about manufacturing than technology i think, in that they're still heavy things with a lot of moving parts.

Cybernetic Vermin fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Apr 27, 2022

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
we print shitloads and the brother printers do well but the consumables seem so loving wasteful

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Jonny 290 posted:

i will furthermore argue that you are pushing a large stone up a steep hill if you're trying to poo poo on a reliable, 6 page per minute 300dpi mono laser printer that doesnt even have any wifi, just a USB. its so useful

basic brother laser bros heck yeah

i help out the local bird club and prepandemic designed and then printed the entire show catalogues on my trusty brother which was into it’s like fourth year on that toner cartridge at the time

i only buy first party toner replacements since it’s not a common purchase, and they even include a prepaid shipping label to return for recycling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
i have a printer that's about 10-12 years old, that can do airprint from an iphone or w/e. handy feature never use it. my wife loves printing things

i'll admit it's handy for printing coloring sheets for mini logins these days but that's it. gently caress printers