Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

Ungratek posted:

Typo but yea the hall and Oates tune also bangs

I bet Bobby would do it justice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Noise Machine posted:

I bet Bobby would do it justice.

That would’ve been a Vince song. But I think Page would do ok. Abandoned Luncheonette for Halloween

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Ungratek posted:

This listen through has made me fall in love with “She’s Gone”.

Scarlet>She's Gone>Out of Touch>Fire

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Help>Slip>Kiss On My List

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

BigFactory posted:

That would’ve been a Vince song. But I think Page would do ok. Abandoned Luncheonette for Halloween

Don't put things in my head that will never come to fruition cuz I'd lose my goddamn mind if that happened

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Noise Machine posted:

Don't put things in my head that will never come to fruition cuz I'd lose my goddamn mind if that happened

It would be too good so it won’t happen.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

BigFactory posted:

Help>Slip>Kiss On My List

Loling at the thought of 80s Jerry singing this

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

Loling at the thought of 80s Jerry singing this

Brent’s keyboard tone is basically identical

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Reminds me like of early Phish who would play Scarlett -> Fire (Jimi Hendrix)

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

BigFactory posted:

Brent’s keyboard tone is basically identical

Now I’m imagining Brent singing it and not laughing anymore

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

Now I’m imagining Brent singing it and not laughing anymore

Because it’s Brent and Phil harmonizing and it sounds horrible.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Just realized I never posted about 4/26 -

Another excellent show - just an aside, it seems difficult to rank these shows since the batting average is so high.

I did dig the TOO, the "Two Souls In Communion", and the GDTRFB (standalone!) but doesn't hit the highs of Dusseldorf (which I'm pretty sure is in my top 3 shows now)

Onward to Munich (d'oh, I meant Hamburg)

Noise Machine fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Apr 29, 2022

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
The shows 51 years ago this week at the Fillmore East were pretty drat great (guess I should've listened to them a year ago :p), these were the shows Skull & Roses was carved from. Lots of guest artists, yesterday's show was utterly chaotic, the Beach Boys came out and performed with them late in the set, then the Dead just left for a while for the Beach Boys to do a tune but then they didn't come back so the BBs were like "ok, I guess we'll just play another one of ours then, maybe the guys will be back soon" and there ended up being 4 Beach Boys songs lol. The 4/28/71 show has a really great Dark Star -> St Stephen -> Not Fade Away -> GDTRFB -> Not Fade Away to close it out with Tom Constanten back with them.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Trip Report:

Musikhalle, Hamburg. April 29th 1972.

I don't know how everyone else feels about this one but there's not much to say. It's nearly an hour shorter than their previous show, which probably attests to their state of mind. I don't want to say 'perfunctory' because that makes it seem worse than what it is. But it's a well-played show that I'm sure sent people home happy (The crowd are responsive throughout at least) but put with the other performances we've heard so far it falls a tad short. We get a rare show-opening 'Playin' In The Band' to get us into the swing of things. I think 'Me & My Uncle' might have been the highlight? Both Jerry and Keith are all over it, with the latter adding some nice honky-tonk piano throughout. I haven't singled this song out yet for some reason even though it's always fun to hear and that's 'Big Railroad Blues'. They blast this one out in under 4 minutes and you can picture the crowd dancing and the beer spilling.

Jerry tells the crowd they're going to hear songs they haven't heard beforeIs it just me, or does anyone else want these 'Casey Jones' to go just a little longer at the end?

The second set opens with a stomping 'Greatest Story Ever Told'. Donna makes an appearance. Wah-wah can get overused easily, but I've always liked how Jerry uses it on this song. He's a master of tone that one. 'He's Gone' is still in its early days, with no real intro or outro to speak of. This 'Dark Star' is similar to the other night in that your mileage may vary, but I don't always love the space loaded Dark Stars' and I didn't get much from this until the last 10 minutes, an unfortunate thing for a 30 minute song. They kill with 'Sugar Magnolia'. I think Jerry cuts it short at the end and Bobby sounds like he's going to blow his voice out. Billy hammers on the drums. I had already forgotten they played 'Caution' this time. 'One More Saturday Night' is played on a Saturday. We do get a first with an encore of 'Uncle John's Band'. Well played, nice ending. Their voices sound tired. Kind of sums up the show. Reddit seemed to be high on this one so maybe I'm just out of step with it.

Next time: France, buckle up boys.

DrVenkman fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Apr 29, 2022

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
I'm with you, the show was solid but never really caught fire for me. I did think some of the first set "staples" were strong, like Jack Straw, Loser and Me And My Uncle. I'm not the biggest fan of the Pigpen driven monster songs, so the long Good Lovin and Caution versions were energetic not terribly compelling to me. That said, there are a couple of solid guitar solos in Good Lovin and the Sugar Magnolia coming out of Dark Star was nice.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
I did finish off the 4-29-71 show too, so drat good. Among the highlights are a great Ripple, a searching early version of Bird Song, and all of Pigpen’s songs are on fire, topped off by an epic Hard To Handle

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

DrVenkman posted:

Next time: France, buckle up boys.

I thought I had (part of) one of the Paris shows on lp but it’s from 74 and not Paris.

Pretty great show though.

Grateful Dead • 1974-09-18 (03:29:11) • Parc des Exposition, Dijon, France https://relisten.net/grateful-dead/1974/09/18?source=336792

If nothing else check out the Row Jimmy. The drumming is sloppy but Donna sounds great and Keith or Ned Lagin plays a sweet Wurlitzer and it’s just really nice.

The Eyes>China Doll is cool too but they can’t figure out the tempo on china doll. Billy is off the whole show. But a cool transition if you don’t know what’s coming up

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Apr 30, 2022

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
5/3 is a monster.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Trip Report:

Olympia Theatre, Paris. May 3rd, 1972.

The Dead were ready for France, and France was ready for the Dead. Maybe it was the few days of recuperation, maybe it was the wine but this show sees the band step up from a string of already very-good performances. With the show opener of 'Bertha' the band are off to a fast, raucous start. Keith is a presence from the beginning and a little piano tinkle between the first two songs gets a cheer from the crowd who seem to be a mix of French and American. Without the risk of repeating what gets said every show, the first set is more or less what we've heard numerous times except played near flawlessly. The 'China'/'Rider' would later be used (with some overdubs, though I think they sound great) on the 'Europe '72' release. About five or so performances after its debut, 'He's Gone' has settled into something more familiar now that the intro is more or less there. Jerry sings it like he means it, and the band let it space out a bit now that they're more comfortable with it. I don't think the song ever had a real ending. It gently trickles into silence but not before revealing the crowd who have been clapping along. They burst into cheers. A group of people ask for 'Uncle John's Band' but the band don't acknowledge it. 'Playin' In The Band' is shorter than it has been in other shows, running just a few minutes longer than the 'Tennessee Jed' which comes after (And was also the take used for 'Europe '72'. Personally I would have used one of the earlier shows). For the last few run of shows it sounds like 'Good Lovin' has been their Set 1 jam and that's no different here. For a moment the song seems like it's about to go to space but they keep it reigned in for Pigpen, who regales the French crowd with his horny raps. We hear the rare 'Sing Me Back Home', a Merle Haggard tune that they hadn't performed since the previous November and which would barely see 1973 until Jerry resurrected it 10 years later doing a few shows for the Garcia Band. Jerry really had a way to get at you with those sad songs.

Set 2 opens with 'The Greatest Story Ever Told'. I've said plenty of good things about this song already, but this one really kicks the door in. Jerry's wah-wah can barely hold on. Pretty sure he briefly thinks he's playing 'Sugar Magnolia' as he throws in one or two familiar sounding licks from that one. After 'Ramble On Rose' and 'Hurts Me Too' we get a pretty big centrepiece, starting with 'Truckin'' and entering into a pretty jazzy 'The Other One' that's been different to the thumping versions we've had thus far. This is leisurely, walk in the moonlight, kind of version. That falls into 'Drums' and then I guess 'Bass and Drums'. The rest of the band join in for a Phil-led return to 'The Other One' though that doesn't last long and after more jazzy playing we're treated to another Phil duet, this time with Jerry. It's a detour with 'Me & Bobby McGee' (fine song but I wouldn't have put it there) before finally finishing off 'The Other One' and ending with a lovely 'Wharf Rat'. Phew. Not quite done yet it's 'Jack Straw', finally emerging as the version most people know with Jerry sharing the vocals. It's a slower groove than usual but it's done well, and the band liked it enough to also include it on 'Europe '72'. Not bad for an opening night show. The band show off with yet another suite, this time kicking off with a scorching 'Sugar Magnolia'. Bobby has blown his voice out but still sounds great, and pulls it out of the back for the 'Sunshine Daydream' part. They go into a jammy 'Not Fade Away', then Donna comes back and everyone joins in on 'Going Down The Road Feeling Bad'. It's the sound of the band giving everything they have left. A joyous, raucous ending before the soft landing. They finish off 'Not Fade Away' and somehow, despite the odds, give a pretty good 'One More Saturday Night' as the encore.

Jerry had said around this time that the band were itching to get on stage. He didn't like the gap between shows, thought there were too many days where they weren't playing and I think in these shows you can feel the band get those frustrations out. They just want to play, and 50 years later we get to benefit from that. Pretty special stuff.

Next time: Paris, again!

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

DrVenkman posted:

Trip Report:

Olympia Theatre, Paris. May 3rd, 1972.

The Dead were ready for France, and France was ready for the Dead. Maybe it was the few days of recuperation, maybe it was the wine but this show sees the band step up from a string of already very-good performances. With the show opener of 'Bertha' the band are off to a fast, raucous start. Keith is a presence from the beginning and a little piano tinkle between the first two songs gets a cheer from the crowd who seem to be a mix of French and American. Without the risk of repeating what gets said every show, the first set is more or less what we've heard numerous times except played near flawlessly. The 'China'/'Rider' would later be used (with some overdubs, though I think they sound great) on the 'Europe '72' release. About five or so performances after its debut, 'He's Gone' has settled into something more familiar now that the intro is more or less there. Jerry sings it like he means it, and the band let it space out a bit now that they're more comfortable with it. I don't think the song ever had a real ending. It gently trickles into silence but not before revealing the crowd who have been clapping along. They burst into cheers. A group of people ask for 'Uncle John's Band' but the band don't acknowledge it. 'Playin' In The Band' is shorter than it has been in other shows, running just a few minutes longer than the 'Tennessee Jed' which comes after (And was also the take used for 'Europe '72'. Personally I would have used one of the earlier shows). For the last few run of shows it sounds like 'Good Lovin' has been their Set 1 jam and that's no different here. For a moment the song seems like it's about to go to space but they keep it reigned in for Pigpen, who regales the French crowd with his horny raps. We hear the rare 'Sing Me Back Home', a Merle Haggard tune that they hadn't performed since the previous November and which would barely see 1973 until Jerry resurrected it 10 years later doing a few shows for the Garcia Band. Jerry really had a way to get at you with those sad songs.

Set 2 opens with 'The Greatest Story Ever Told'. I've said plenty of good things about this song already, but this one really kicks the door in. Jerry's wah-wah can barely hold on. Pretty sure he briefly thinks he's playing 'Sugar Magnolia' as he throws in one or two familiar sounding licks from that one. After 'Ramble On Rose' and 'Hurts Me Too' we get a pretty big centrepiece, starting with 'Truckin'' and entering into a pretty jazzy 'The Other One' that's been different to the thumping versions we've had thus far. This is leisurely, walk in the moonlight, kind of version. That falls into 'Drums' and then I guess 'Bass and Drums'. The rest of the band join in for a Phil-led return to 'The Other One' though that doesn't last long and after more jazzy playing we're treated to another Phil duet, this time with Jerry. It's a detour with 'Me & Bobby McGee' (fine song but I wouldn't have put it there) before finally finishing off 'The Other One' and ending with a lovely 'Wharf Rat'. Phew. Not quite done yet it's 'Jack Straw', finally emerging as the version most people know with Jerry sharing the vocals. It's a slower groove than usual but it's done well, and the band liked it enough to also include it on 'Europe '72'. Not bad for an opening night show. The band show off with yet another suite, this time kicking off with a scorching 'Sugar Magnolia'. Bobby has blown his voice out but still sounds great, and pulls it out of the back for the 'Sunshine Daydream' part. They go into a jammy 'Not Fade Away', then Donna comes back and everyone joins in on 'Going Down The Road Feeling Bad'. It's the sound of the band giving everything they have left. A joyous, raucous ending before the soft landing. They finish off 'Not Fade Away' and somehow, despite the odds, give a pretty good 'One More Saturday Night' as the encore.

Jerry had said around this time that the band were itching to get on stage. He didn't like the gap between shows, thought there were too many days where they weren't playing and I think in these shows you can feel the band get those frustrations out. They just want to play, and 50 years later we get to benefit from that. Pretty special stuff.

Next time: Paris, again!

I loved hearing that Jack Straw that I’ve listened to a million times and was so familiar but without the vocal overdubs it feels so different.

Is that Alligator without the alligator?

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
The whole section from Truckin’ through Wharf Rat via The Other One just incredible. I think that’s only topped by the Dark Star/Me And My Uncle/Wharf Rat in the Rheinhalle show for me.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

BigFactory posted:

I loved hearing that Jack Straw that I’ve listened to a million times and was so familiar but without the vocal overdubs it feels so different.

Is that Alligator without the alligator?

Someone must have put together a playlist that's just 'Europe' 72' without the overdubs right? I think that's Alligator, or at least a version of it.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Trip Report:

Olympia Theatre, Paris. May 4th, 1972.

If the first night was the party, this was the comedown. That's not so much a reflection of the quality as it is the temperament of the band. After the previous night's raucous 'Greatest Story Ever Told' to open the second set, we get it opening the first here albeit in a slower and more focused. I know it's not fair to compare the two, but they are good contrasts. There's a lazy energy to the performance that continues throughout the night, perhaps more weed than coke. A lot of songs are repeats of the previous night and they're played well enough, though nothing stands out until 'Hurts Me Too' late in the first set. Granted, there's another on-point 'Brown-Eyed Women' and a tightened up 'Playin' In The Band', but it's Pigpen who grabs my attention with his soulful rendition. There's not many more of them folks. Speaking of fleeting, after a big blast of 'Big Railroad Blues' it's the second go for 'The Stranger'. Jerry isn't as on here as he was there, but Pigpen is. Another heartbreaker.

Pigpen must have been feeling good that day because he's back out to open the second set with 'Good Lovin'. It's another stormer without being played at the pace some of the others have been. The band find plenty of room to explore, Pigpen comes up with some filth we haven't heard him do yet and somewhere a young David Lee Roth gets some ideas. I like the mellow groove they fall into at about the 19 minute mark before building up into the main riff. I dig the later versions of this song too, but what they're able to do with it at this time is pretty remarkable. It's another Pigpen number with 'Next Time You See Me', though we get an amusing bit of business with a false start as the electric goes. There's another great 'Dark Star' with some exploratory business before the first verse. Like the rest of the show this is probably a mellow 'Dark Star' than we've had before with the band more interested in exploring melody than noise. For a while everything is on edge and Billy breaks into a short 'Drums' (That to be honest feels less like a separate thing and more part of 'Dark Star' itself. Thus, this should have been one track. That's my final ruling.) before the band join back in, finding themselves in a touch shaky 'Mind Left Body Jam' before a fantastic end that bursts into the main theme. The 'Sugar Magnolia' that emerges is the one they use for the album. Donna joins for the first time, and her chemistry with Bobby is apparent. This sounds pretty great, even if Jerry maybe flubs a note or two, that's what overdubs are for. I don't know why they redid the vocals though, they sound great here.

It's worth noting how vocal these French crowds have been the last two nights. Not the say the other crowds haven't been, but it sounds so pronounced here and numerous times you can hear them clap during the songs. The recordings for both nights are worth a mention as well, they sound fantastic.

That's probably the highlight of the show? There's a lovely 'Sing Me Back Home' again, before running through a grip of songs including a very nice 'Uncle John's Band' and 'Going Down The Road Feeling Bad' but you can tell they're tired when they get 'Not Fade Away' done in under 3 minutes. Not that it matters to that crowd. Periodic reminder that live music is a dying and unsupported artform.

Next time: It's another one to buckle up for, as we head back to the UK for Bickershaw Festival.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I think 5/3 might be the best Rider I've heard yet. Harmonies are tight, Jerry's lead parts are wild and free, Billy has a great pocket the whole way through, tasteful little fills. I mean I've listened to Europe '72 a bunch and heard this version 50 times but never with several successive days of it leading up. It's pretty clear why it was picked for the official album. This new perspective is cool.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

I think 5/3 might be the best Rider I've heard yet. Harmonies are tight, Jerry's lead parts are wild and free, Billy has a great pocket the whole way through, tasteful little fills. I mean I've listened to Europe '72 a bunch and heard this version 50 times but never with several successive days of it leading up. It's pretty clear why it was picked for the official album. This new perspective is cool.

Yeah the harmonies really stand out immediately imo, some of the best harmonizing i've ever heard them do on any song, let alone rider

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
Pigpen, bruh, just go hire a professional iykwim

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

trem_two posted:

Pigpen, bruh, just go hire a professional iykwim

To a French crowd though? That was probably all the encouragement they needed.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
Listening to Dick's Picks 13, since it was on today's date in 1981. Listening to Sailor/Saint while working...realizing that Brent has been jamming away for a while...a long while...and then see that Saint alone is 43 minutes long. Turns out they just shoved a Scarlet/Fire from 2 years prior into that track for some reason :okpos:

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Elvis Costello was at 5/7/72

Definitely going to have to plan how I'm going to listen to it tomorrow - it's gonna have to be in chunks.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

https://www.dead.net/deadcast
The 5/7/72 Bickershaw Festival episode is brilliant. A bunch of British boomers recounting the festival and all it's shenanigans as they luxuriate in the mud and the Grateful Dead.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Trip Report:

Bickershaw Festival, Wigan. May 7th, 1972

Bickershaw festival was a one-off. Organised in part by a man who called himself 'The Count', the festival was a way to make a bit of money off the counter-culture scene and to pull it away from London. Settling instead in the North of England in a farmer's field to the confusion of the locals (One shopkeeper noted to the news that he's been making a killing selling something he's never heard of but that the hippies liked; yoghurt). The Count bounced out of proceedings pretty early, leaving most of the organisation up to small-handed prankster Jeremy Beadle. Imagine if you were a public nuisance and the powers that be saw fit to give you a Saturday night TV show and you'd have 'Beadle's About', in which Jeremy Beadle would prank unsuspecting members of the British public, with the theme threatening "Watch out, Beadle's about". It was £2.25 for the whole weekend and it included a set by the Kinks, Monty Python (Only 3 members though, they couldn't afford the others), Cheech and Chong, Donovan and Captain Beefheart. In the crowd is a young Joe Strummer, who is blown away by Beefheart, and Elvis Costello, who has come to see the Dead.

Was it worth it? I certainly think so. By now these first sets are played just about as well as you could hope, even if there aren't a lot of standouts. 'Truckin' is an ambitious opener, though it's not as stretched out as it would be if it was in the second set. Instead it's a tight, well-played version that sees the band in good spirits. From the off it sounds like one of those times where they're just itching to play. 'Beat It On Down The Line' is a belter, sharply played and out in 3 minutes. Afterwards Bobby lets the crowd know that Parliment have voted down an Anti-festival bill. There's a more or less fully realised 'He's Gone', there's kind of screw up in 'China Cat Sunflower' and run with it anyway until they find their way again, and sweetly get the crowd to sing 'Happy Birthday' to Bill (Who was turning 26) before giving Donna quite the introduction and getting to a great 'Playin' In The Band'. It's a little spacey, has a little edge to it, sometimes doesn't feel like '72 Dead and more like pre-70s. It sounds like they're having a great time with 'Tennesse Jed' and so am I. There's a decent 'Good Lovin' and 'Casey Jones' to finish things up. 'Good Lovin' has its moments but it doesn't really live up to the ones we've heard from the last few shows, particularly the first night in France.

Sam Cutler reminds people to get off the towers, Bobby says that "you don't want a blooming catastrophe, so get the gently caress down.". Jerry's tone is pushed to the brink for 'The Greatest Story Ever Told', but it sounds great. These second set openers are becoming a highlight of the tour. Bobby being slightly out of tune (Though I think Jerry is too) I think leads the jam in the back end down an interesting road. I like the moment from about 4:40 in that, both Jerry and Bobby do some fun things. We get a nicely performed 'Ramble-On Rose' (I like this song but never have that much to say about it), before 'Jack Straw'. I didn't mention this on the last show, but the Jerry-sings-the-other-part experiment lasted all of one time. I wonder if it's a case of Bobby just forgetting. Then we get the centrepiece of the whole thing with 'Dark Star'-->'Drums'-->'The Other One'-->'Sing Me Back Home'. Someone in the crowd attempts a "knock-knock" joke before it starts. The 'Dark Star' is another one that's reminiscent of pre-70s Dead. Mellow, eerie and somehow easily sliding its way back to the main theme. There's a 'The Other One' tease very early on. It's shorter than I think all of the other ones we've had on the tour. It continues through 'Drums' into 'The Other One' which is a mammoth 30 minutes, but the overwhelming feeling I get is paranoia. TOO is a bit long for my liking, though I'm glad I heard it I don't think I'll be returning to this suite anytime soon, even with another lovely version of 'Sing Me Back Home'. I'm not too big a fan of its placement though and think it would have been better going into 'Sugar Magnolia' after 'The Other One'. There's a great 'Turn On Your Lovelight' that Jerry is all over. Pigpen really can work his magic on any crowd. I'm sure his rapping can seem a little lame, but I can imagine the effect it would have on those rooms (Or fields as the case may be). They attempt to start 'Caution' but that's aborted and it doesn't look like Pigpen wanted to come back out for it. The 4 hour show ends with an energetic 'Going Down The Road Feeling Bad' and 'Not Fade Away'. The sun came out during their set, and by now people from town were mixed with the hippies and everyone else, come to see what all the fuss is about. The oldest ones complained about the noise, as oldest ones are want to do, but everyone else sounds like they're having a good time.

Next stop: We're going to Holland.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
Turns out there was supposed to be a show in Lille on the 5th, but as told by the band's manager

quote:

May 5. Lille, France. We’re meant to do gig in Lille, however … One of the equipment guys thumps a fan. Irate youth returns, puts sugar and pisses in gas tank of truck, sticks potato in exhaust pipe so the truck breaks down. Equipment never leaves Paris. Being followed around by radical French students who want us to put on free show. French promoter goes out on the stage to tell crowd that the Dead aren’t gonna play. Hall goes ape poo poo. Band freaks out. Situation getting ugly fast. Real concern there’s gonna be a serious riot. Sneak out to the buses and make ignominious dash for it. Have to lower Donna Godchaux out back window of the place. Put her down on the top of the equipment truck that’s parked right underneath the window then down onto the tailgate. Ridden out of town on a rail by frog revolutionaries, who are still after our asses. Have to reimburse promoter and promise we’ll come back to do free show.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
Also, I finished today's 72 show while mowing the yard. I was tired, sweaty, wanting a beer, get in the car to drive to the store to buy some and the radio is tuned to the Sirius channel for the Dead, and it's playing...Dark Star from May 7, 1972

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Bickershaw was a whole lot o' FUN - even if it had more than it's fair share of technical difficulties. The band sounds really pumped up to be there and you can tell. Especially by the end of the second set it sounds like Garcia just wants to keep going. I laughed so loving hard when they started Lovelight only to be rudely interrupted by the BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZT electrical hum.

Dark Star was good, but holy gently caress The Other One here melted my goddamn face off, and then into Sing Me Back Home? They're on another level for this one.

One note here, Phil is on loving FIRE this entire show. Lovelight has him hitting these descending licks that are so melodic and groovy.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

trem_two posted:

Turns out there was supposed to be a show in Lille on the 5th, but as told by the band's manager

5/13/72 is the make up show, fwiw

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 04:24 on May 9, 2022

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Trip Report:

Concertgebouw, Amsterdam. May 10th, 1972.

We're in the land of hash and other illicit substances for a sold out 2,000 seater show. This is notable for the use of 'He's Gone' for the 'Europe 72' album, though cheekily the outro they borrow from a show they'll play later on in July. We get off to a...shaky start with 'Bertha'. Jerry abandons a verse after flubbing a line. It's the most uncertain start we've had since the tour began with both 'Me & My Uncle' and 'Mr. Charlie' being politely played. Even 'China'/'Rider', usually something of a sure-fire on this tour is a little off. Naturally, your boy Bobby gets things back on track with a great 'Black-Throated Wind'. Both 'El Paso' and 'He's Gone' are standouts. The latter seeing a lovely vocal interplay on the outro. Another one I feel like they made needless overdubs for. Anyway, there's a fun 'Playin' In The Band', which has been kind of taking a backseat the last few shows. 'Tennessee Jed' continues to win me over, and it's clear that Jerry just loves playing this song. 'Greatest Story Ever Told' isn't played as frenetically as it was on the other nights, but there's some really nice playing between Bobby and Keith in the outro.

The second set goes off in grand fashion with a suite of 'Truckin''-->'Drums'-->'The Other One'-->'Me & Bobby McGee'-->'The Other One'-->'Wharf Rat'. 'Truckin' is played confidently, any first set issues shaken off by now, and a lively jam gives way to a Bill Kruetzman showcase which rolls (Along with Phil) into 'The Other One' and has the band playing an electric jam before the first verse, before eventually spacing out into something that's jazzier and then darker before they pull it out with a lively main theme riff that finally, after some 34 minutes, gives way to 'Me & Bobby McGee'. This is as well played as you're going to get this but I still can't get with its second-set role. Once they finish out 'The Other One' we get a fantastic 'Wharf Rat'. Shockingly, this is buried on page 5 on Headyversion. Criminally underrated. The rest is another suite, this time of short ones. After a while you really do see the patterns emerge. Though to be fair, you only have so many 34 minute songs you can play on 1 night, so it's less a pattern and more just...necessity. 'The Stranger' is a highlight. I still think the early one is better, just for Jerry's solo, but if this is your favourite I wouldn't blame you. Another soulful, sad performance from Pigpen. Delicate backup from the band. After we get 'Ramble On Rose' and they can put out these great versions of like nobodies business, and this is no exception. It's another one that I think Jerry just likes to belt out. We have a standalone 'Sing Me Back Home' and the band kills it again. I wondered if the Dutch students could understand the words, but you don't have to for the feeling to get across. They end it strong of course with 'Sugar Magnolia' and instead of leaving the stage serve an encore of 'Not Fade Away'-->'Going Down The Road Feeling Bad'-->'Not Fade Away'. It's one of my favourite sandwiches they do, and it's hard not to want to join in at the end. With the last strums of 'Not Fade Away' they're done. The crowd could easily take more but they'll have to wait tomorrow until Dick Latvalas favourite show of the whole tour.

Next time: It's Rotterdam!

Llyr
Mar 24, 2010

Music is the best
5/10/72 is too laid back for me. Sounds sleepy in most parts and the China-Rider is downright boring.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe

Llyr posted:

5/10/72 is too laid back for me. Sounds sleepy in most parts and the China-Rider is downright boring.

Yeah, I was attributing my relative apathy about this show to general fatigue at being over a dozen shows deep into very long, very similar set lists, but I think you are actually right. The only things that grabbed me were PITB, Wharf Rat and The Stranger. All of The Other One just sort of drifted by for me.

In the afternoon today I listened to the 5/10/78 show that is half of Dick's Picks 25, some of it is really hot, but jeez they sound coked out beyond belief, Donna is going batshit at the end of Deal. But yeah, otherwise there are super nice versions of Let It Grow, Wharf Rat, Estimated -> Eyes, and while the Drums was really excessive, the version of The Other One that emerges from it was good too.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Following the Europe '72 in spirit is going to WRECK my completely pointless end of year Spotify wrap up. If I make it to 5/26, I feel like I owe it to myself to see what alligator wine is all about. It sounds ... unpleasant.

Update:

Is this 5/11 the most Pigpen we've heard on this tour?

hatelull fucked around with this message at 17:32 on May 11, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
Yeah, this was a show very heavy on Pigpen fronted tunes, and they were all pretty strong imo. Morning Dew was wonderful, and I really enjoyed the Dark Star/Space/Drums, got very spaced out and jazzy before bringing it back for a strong psych guitar finish.