Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

whee popped hot this morning. started feeling slightly sick tuesday (mild sore throat) which turned into slightly more so wednesday (add in a mild cough!). rapid tests tuesday and thursday where negative. dropped off a PCR test i'm still waiting for. took another rapid this morning which was a big thick positive (that line was there in the time it took me to use the rest room after prepping the test). still nothing worse than a mild sore throat and cough, which is good. working on getting some paxlovid. had three shots, last was in october. i'm more upset we had to cancel our bbq this weekend. at least it means i can eat brisket and pork tonight instead of waiting until tomorrow

wife is showing negative, because of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Enjoy your Covid three times a year for the rest of your life, because public health isn’t real.

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

Endless Mike posted:

whee popped hot this morning.

same lol

Berkshire Hunts
Nov 5, 2009
condolences

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
make sure not to stress yourself, don't drink alcohol, etc. etc.

treatments at this stage are much better than they were two years ago

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

are they

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Relying solely on vaccination to control this disease is like just steering the Titanic into every iceberg you can find because you've got internal bulkheads,, so what's the big deal

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

im vaccinated

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

MononcQc posted:

a lot of the ergonomics thread papers I post also come from Human-Computer-Interactions, Cognitive Systems Engineering, and Resilience Engineering, and not necessarily pure ergonomics because that just happens to be the sort of stuff I have at hand for the angle I like to dig into. They tend to come from life-critical areas with high expertise and high pressure situations, which isn't necessarily the same as browsing amazon to buy a USB cable (I'm not saying this pejoratively, just that the stakes are higher and weirder in the life-critical fields).

Even ergonomics, a bunch of it may be "how to design the best pilot seat and HUD to work well in 6G turns" and another ergonomist is going to be "how to reduce strain injuries in office workers when you introduce hot-desking."

UX is a lot more directly applied to web stuff where your user may be anybody from a diverse population and has papers like Personality of Interaction: Expressing Brand Personalities Through Interaction Aesthetics, or Investigating a multi-faceted view of user experience which specifically ask to discover how users do things and how they feel about web things.

There's also a whole angle around service design which is a related view into "how we want to help people get things done" and figuring out what they actually need as well.

I wish I had the professional time to research and find all the stuff you do, it's always great and very useful due to the high-pressure aspect of it

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I’m vaccinated x3 :smug:

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I like having a world class hospital three miles away during a public health emergency

yeah

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

I’m vaccinated x3 :smug:

which 3 did you get

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Cloks posted:

make sure not to stress yourself, don't drink alcohol, etc. etc.

treatments at this stage are much better than they were two years ago

yeah, i'm trying to get some paxlovid. waiting on the e-doctor to call back. apparently i need to talk to three people to get some free drugs

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Endless Mike posted:

yeah, i'm trying to get some paxlovid. waiting on the e-doctor to call back. apparently i need to talk to three people to get some free drugs

If you weren't confused about the whole process, how are they supposed to throw random charges on your bill?

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Endless Mike posted:

it is actually incredibly easy to deal with the healthcare system while sick and I'm not sure why anyone would complain

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Share Bear posted:

I wish I had the professional time to research and find all the stuff you do, it's always great and very useful due to the high-pressure aspect of it

My path for this has been:

0. doing a lot of OSS that eats more time of my week than I spend with actual friends or growing a social life
1. having done operations and written about software reliabilty and distributed systems (and learning to like reading papers there)
2. having grown angry at computers
3. being invited in a closed online community of people dedicated to learning from incidents
4. getting to know a bunch of people who are either academics or really close to academics who keep forwarding me links
5. stockpiling all the links to papers and reading them over time (along with more general intro books)
6. getting burnt out by the industry and disliking to code and deciding I'll turn my career around and do more poo poo around these operations
7. spending a couple of years reading the papers and planning a shift away from development instead of doing OSS in my free time
8. becoming SRE
9. having a reason to read even more of the papers and finally doing some of it for work then using my actual free time to grow as a person
10. :justpost:

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Cloks posted:

it is actually incredibly easy to deal with the healthcare system while sick and I'm not sure why anyone would complain

This is the first I'm hearing of this "incredibly easy to deal with" healthcare system have you ever had anything besides a cold???

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Maybe that's what those world class hospitals are world class for

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
(sarcasm)

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
I was 50/50 if you were being sarcastic or not lol, I chose..... Poorly

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Cloks posted:

Cloks posted:

(sarcasm)

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Mr. Crow posted:

Maybe that's what those world class hospitals are world class for

calling any medical institution "world class" in a country that staunchly refuses to implement universal healthcare despite having more money than any other country in the world should be illegal imo

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Agreed but maybe instead of trying to pass that legislation we could just pass universal hc instead idk

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

telling me not to kvetch is antisemitism

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Cloks posted:

evidently there's this thing where people that schedule appointments for adhd diagnoses miss their appointments a lot and my mental process is like, shouldn't that be an auto-yes

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Endless Mike posted:

whee popped hot this morning. started feeling slightly sick tuesday (mild sore throat) which turned into slightly more so wednesday (add in a mild cough!). rapid tests tuesday and thursday where negative. dropped off a PCR test i'm still waiting for. took another rapid this morning which was a big thick positive (that line was there in the time it took me to use the rest room after prepping the test). still nothing worse than a mild sore throat and cough, which is good. working on getting some paxlovid. had three shots, last was in october. i'm more upset we had to cancel our bbq this weekend. at least it means i can eat brisket and pork tonight instead of waiting until tomorrow

wife is showing negative, because of course.

pandemic over

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

MononcQc posted:

My path for this has been:

0. doing a lot of OSS that eats more time of my week than I spend with actual friends or growing a social life
1. having done operations and written about software reliabilty and distributed systems (and learning to like reading papers there)
2. having grown angry at computers
3. being invited in a closed online community of people dedicated to learning from incidents
4. getting to know a bunch of people who are either academics or really close to academics who keep forwarding me links
5. stockpiling all the links to papers and reading them over time (along with more general intro books)
6. getting burnt out by the industry and disliking to code and deciding I'll turn my career around and do more poo poo around these operations
7. spending a couple of years reading the papers and planning a shift away from development instead of doing OSS in my free time
8. becoming SRE
9. having a reason to read even more of the papers and finally doing some of it for work then using my actual free time to grow as a person
10. :justpost:

i want to be u when i grow up (im 29)

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Stereotype posted:

pandemic over

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Yes the pandemic is over, no I still don't go out in public. Next questiom

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
by "we are now out of the pandemic phase" he of course meant "we no longer care about people who die of the pandemic."

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
"no longer" doing a lot of work there

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
i keep thinking about how in "normal" times little changes in percentages of things would make the news and spawn dozens of long winded thinkpieces on what that meant and what we could do to improve. life expectancy increased by 0.1 years? great! that means we must be doing this one specific healthcare thing right. energy costs went up by 0.3%? well gosh it's because of all that climate change talk by the democrats.

but now everything is swinging wildly, life expectancy dropped by like 3 years lmao. disposable income dropped by more than it ever has since they started measuring it. energy costs have exploded to higher than even the oil embargo in the 1970s. but like, everything's fine. we just have to keep on acting normal and don't need to do any big changes. we just aren't thinking positively enough. vote

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

I’m pretty normal.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Stereotype posted:

i keep thinking about how in "normal" times little changes in percentages of things would make the news and spawn dozens of long winded thinkpieces on what that meant and what we could do to improve. life expectancy increased by 0.1 years? great! that means we must be doing this one specific healthcare thing right. energy costs went up by 0.3%? well gosh it's because of all that climate change talk by the democrats.

but now everything is swinging wildly, life expectancy dropped by like 3 years lmao. disposable income dropped by more than it ever has since they started measuring it. energy costs have exploded to higher than even the oil embargo in the 1970s. but like, everything's fine. we just have to keep on acting normal and don't need to do any big changes. we just aren't thinking positively enough. vote

I don't drive hardly at all, but even I was shocked when 85 octane was four bucks a gallon plus the other night when I had to put some in the truck. Last time I put gas in that poo poo was 2.69.

I am blessed by a lifestyle that is largely petrol-as-a-fun-luxury, but i remember the late 2010s when poo poo got up to these prices and I had to do 40 miles a day and my main car was broken down so I had to drive my 7mpg old truck to and from work. I wasn't even really making any money after the gas costs.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Jonny 290 posted:

I don't drive hardly at all, but even I was shocked when 85 octane was four bucks a gallon plus the other night when I had to put some in the truck. Last time I put gas in that poo poo was 2.69.

I am blessed by a lifestyle that is largely petrol-as-a-fun-luxury, but i remember the late 2010s when poo poo got up to these prices and I had to do 40 miles a day and my main car was broken down so I had to drive my 7mpg old truck to and from work. I wasn't even really making any money after the gas costs.

yeah i don't have to drive hardly ever too, it's nice. i do have to fill up my truck soon and yeah, the last time i did it cost like $60, now it's gonna be over a hundred lmao

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Gas is $5 a gal here and neither me nor the gf drive to work. gas is for hauling objects or going out of the city and that's it. love 2 transit network

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Stereotype posted:

yeah i don't have to drive hardly ever too, it's nice. i do have to fill up my truck soon and yeah, the last time i did it cost like $60, now it's gonna be over a hundred lmao

filling up the hausbus was really entertaining in hindsight because it got about 6mpg (honestly not bad for a 37 foot class A motorhome) and had a 75 gallon tank. It took like 15 minutes just to pump the gas in and i always had to go in to the gas station to pre-pay because the pumps usually capped at $100

"yeah lemme get $200 on pump 3"

"what"

"no for real"

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

yeah, the last time gas was this high i was making 20k/year and driving this beater explorer to and from work and no where else

going into canada for work a lot and the federal mileage reimbursement of fifty six cents is definitely not cutting it there

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
we're very good about following our food and fun budget and we did a 25pp increase then another 25, and this was just doing our regular 1x week take out and regular grocery shopping. So an extra 100/m

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
ive been extremely bad about grubhubbing but with the new job i'm being thrown so much cash that i am going to go back into rice and veg mode and see how much i can save per month, because I want to buy my grandparents' house from its current owners cash so that I have a great lakes hideout.

(it last sold in 2018 for 38k, real estate doesnt have the bubble up there. im sure i can get it for <50)